Default Are sx types always horny?

Or hornier than other types?

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can only speak for myself for direct experiences. Yes. Though: closeted and politely so as not to risk lives. In the past, I realized that my extreme attitudes weren't received well and backfired (on my health in particular - guess why I'm SP last) so I tamed them. On the other hand, I don't spare certain people in my private existence, they know the full extent. That's all I disclose.

Theory-wise, SX/SP might more genuinely hornily expressed than SX/SO because of social last's no filter attitude + SP needs-meet-o-meter. SX/SO would rather "peacock", probe, and tease than go to the bodily SP level (in fact, they eschew it), unless you have some / lead with this stacking (Cuivienen might be SEE so it applies, do you see what I mean?). Though both have a certain level of need for stimulus going on constantly, and contrary to other types they will not ignore it, that makes the difference. Instincts are priorities. Add hormones of a specific age range to make it work, see @idontgiveaf.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Being "horny" is related to hormones so no. lol

Sexual subtypes are not to be confused with having a healthy sex drive or being sexy, which is a common reason for many people misidentifying themselves as SX-primaries. The name of this instinct is misleading as, in the end, all instincts play into sexuality. SP is the body-to-body part - cuddling, sensuality, autonomic regulation. SX is riding the waves of energy, the invisible forces of attraction between the people, but it doesn't need to be actively physical. In a union, all three instincts combine—warmth (self-pres), energy (sexual), affection (social). One can have the sexual instinct operating in a group of friends—being in the heat, stimulated, energized, engaged. In relationships, there is a desire for endless engagement and fascination.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/133-Instinctual-Stackings
    The first instinct is the strongest force in the personality. It is usually where most of our "unexplainable" bad behaviour occurs. We focus on all 3 elements of this instinct.

With the second instinct, we focus on maybe 2 of the 3 elements of it. We sometimes use the strategy of the first instinct to meet the needs of the second instinct. This rarely goes well.

The third (last or bottom) variant in the stack is can be called one's “blind spot”—it is akin to an unused muscle that on occasion feels sore. One believes that this area is uninteresting and unimportant, that one can do without it. At the same time, there is shame associated with the 'blind spot' variant - a sense of deficiency. One constantly feels like one is lacking skills and refinement in the areas pertaining to your last instinct.

Often a negative reaction develops in response to seeing your last instinct operate in others. For example, SP-last people might grow impatient with those who devote a lot of time and effort into making themselves well fed and comfortable - fiddling with the room temperature, checking seat cushions, arranging their bottled water, etc. SP-last people can grow bored if they find themselves trapped in a conversation about food, home decorations or furniture, local deals, home prices, salaries. SX-last people might feel uneasy when they see people openly demonstrating their sexuality, gender orientation or sexual preferences, engaging in PDA, discussing private feelings and experiences, etc. SO-last people might get impatient with 'shallow' socialite chit-chat, get frustrated when required to network, and wonder how others can keep up with so many acquaintances. One takes the dominant instinct as a given and believes that everyone should be this way, hence people become surprised and even frustrated when they meet others who show no concern for their primary area of preoccupation.

There are 6 stackings: SP/SO, SP/SX, SO/SP, SO/SX, SX/SP, and SX/SO. Below are descriptions of the six stackings, but these are meant as general, across-the-board summaries of the tone or concerns of each stacking. However, instincts are always combined with our enneagram type which changes the tone or is relative to the type.

Self-Preservation dominant, Social 2nd, Sexual blindspot (SP/SO)

• Mindset: "If I can maintain position and inclusion in the group/world, I can make sure of and keep my orderly and pleasing lifestyle." (May try to be just appealing and connected with groups enough for everyone to get out of their hair)
    • Private, reserved, serious, want to make useful connection that support their goals of attaining material security
    • Loyalty is important
    • Can lack interpersonal warmth, can sometimes seem selfish
    • Drawn to groups with likeminded individuals
    • Dress in inconspicuous appropriate fashion to match their status in life
    • Can have direct blunt communication style
    • Archetypes: The Land Surveyor, farmer, patriot, businessman
    • Missing SX water/fire, have a sober quality, not led down the road of fantastical/addictive, arid
    • Emotionally difficult to reach with regards to self-revelation and exchanges around theirs and others’ personal messy underbellies
    • Lack of psychological nudity
    • Less likely to flash their eccentricities, not susceptible to impractical highs
    • Pragmatic, looking for resources/political advantage
    • Less likely to mark the environment as their own
    • Tend towards the patriotic/nationalistic exclusive of the personal, native land SP combines with social mores SO, righteousness and loyalty to higher principals, history, social theme
    • Physical space SP is subject of communal protective drive SO

• Has a sense for being appropriate in social situations. Protects themselves through following and insisting upon civility, general politeness, or professional norms. Doesn't modulate their personal energy widely. Keeps even, consistent, and sturdy. Has a tracking instinct for the underbellies ('shadowside') of society and governments with respect to finance and resource mismanagement. What they take in through their senses gets filtered through cynicism. Savers, collectors, people who find ways to make contributions to (or oppose) their community without being conspicuous or to have genuinely transgressed. Has a more refined sense of implementing reverse crowd psychology than SP/SX.

Self-Preservation dominant, Sexual 2nd, Social blindspot (SP/SX)

• Mindset: "I can have merging/intensity without having to leave my orderly & pleasing lifestyle." (imagination, safe people and relationships, when the safety of these are challenged they withdraw)
    • Earthy, mysterious, quietly intense, seem oblivious to the greater social world around them, favour personal interests
    • Slow to commit, but when they do it is a life commitment to establish an impermeable bond
    • Can attach to others at a root level in contrast to their surface formality
    • Sanctuary of home, decorate spaces to reflect their taste/depth
    • Want to live in secure comfortable environment where they can pursue their private interests in depth
    • Archetypes: The Grave Digger, pirate, voodoo fetishist
    • Missing Social, fresh air/sunlight
    • Shrouded/hooded quality, cave dweller
    • Can be oblivious to the collective good
    • Communications are intimate, personal, no aura of the collective
    • Friend-of-the-dark, non-judgemental with people’s underbellies/corruption
    • The elements as metaphor: Downward death, decay/destruction, undertow, carcasses recycling into earth fertilizing
    • Molten fire SX in earth’s core SP, volcanic, threat of eruption

• Psychic nudity/revelation threatens the SP/SX with self-destruction, or at least social self-destruction, which is all part of the distilling process toward the desired one-to-one bond.

Social dominant, Self-Preservation 2nd, Sexual blindspot (SO/SP)

• Mindset: "If I can establish an orderly and pleasing lifestyle, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
    • Comfortable in group settings, can be formal/awkward in one on one relations
    • Natural political type, affiliate with groups/theories that best defend their social/material interests
    • Can lack warmth and individual identity, could lead to problems forming relationships outside of a shared social interest
    • Want to attain status within their social sphere
    • Archetypes: The Bishop, witch hunter, ethnic cleanser, culture warrior
    • Missing SX water/fire, has a sober quality, not led down the road of fantastical/addictive, arid
    • Emotionally difficult to reach with regards to self-revelation and exchanges around theirs and others’ personal messy underbellies
    • Lack of psychological nudity
    • Less likely to flash their eccentricities, not susceptible to impractical highs
    • Pragmatic, looking for resources/political advantage
    • Less likely to mark the environment as their own
    • Tend towards the patriotic/nationalistic exclusive of the personal, native land SP combines with social mores SO, righteousness and loyalty to higher principals, history, social theme
    • Physical space SP is subject of communal protective drive SO
    • SO/SP seems to want to "change the earth with the voice". (Earth=SP, Voice=air=SO.) And since SX is last, the interest is generally in pragmatic structural change. Regalness also comes through as a tone here. Air is high and mighty ("Putting on airs"). Has a dry deepness that can seem either warm, romantic, and resonant, or cold and cynical, depending on the mood and circumstance of the individual. With SX last, intimacy is an area of deficiency, and people of this stacking often struggle to some degree with maintaining romantic relationships. The central focus is on role within a group. The culture warrior

Social dominant, Sexual 2nd, Self-Preservation blindspot (SO/SX) "The Intense Appealer"

• Mindset: "If I can get close to people with merging/intensity, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
    • Has strong one to one social skills but can be uncomfortable in group settings
    • Cultivate many relationships, involved when in the presence of someone they’re interested in, but have difficulty sustaining these bonds when they are apart
    • Seem flightly/rootless, willing to adapt and mirror others to connect
    • May be political, but is more pragmatic and less partisan than SO/SP
    • May be attuned to pop culture or latest trend
    • Aren’t as concerned with having roots on land or material items of significance
    • Want to create lasting connections with those they are interested in, the best friend
    • Archetypes: The Strolling Minstrel, regalia, jester, the mayor
    • Missing SP earth, lacking the dull weight, stick-in-the-mud quality of earth
    • Butterfly, shimmer and sparkle unsullied by dirt and seriousness/mundane concerns
    • Breakup of the monotony of hardened routines, incapacitation/difficulty moving forward in certain areas in life
    • Practical immaturity, nomadic, no roots

• Wide, ubiquitous presence, hard to grasp, up-in-the-air, wishy-washy, wide-ranging passion and interest
    • Inherent kind of intensity about others - engaging them, understanding them; seems to 'relax' among people, not necessarily engaging them just spending time with people for them is like being in a hot, relaxing bath
    • Dangerously magnetic charisma, perfected, elegant social appearance & competence, ability to make everyone relax, often floats from group to group or person to person with grace and ease, feeling close to no one while inspiring others to feel close to them; selectivity within social sphere; inherent kind of social elegance makes for a pickier person
    • Acute emotional perception and 'people awareness', they readily share these perceptions with others, so can make for spell-binding councelors, life-coaches, etc.
    • The social world (i.e. culture, history, media) is asexual so, when stressed, the SO/SX can struggle to build romantic relationships. This can be confusing for other people because the intensity of intellectual and emotional connection i.e. friendship, may lend itself to romance but nothing happens
    • The least sober stacking. SP imparts some grounding, so when it's last, it feels like there's not a place to plug into practicality. And SX/SO at least has some focused drive (even, perfectionism) from the SX-firstness.
    • SO/SX is all about the narrative and symbiotic needs. Image story theater and, the story. Very clever and hyper-observant of others, can be constantly manipulative in an obsessive way, planing and working to gain what they want from others, networking on cruise control, happy to tell white lies and bend a story for a desired outcome. Honesty comes second to symbiotic needs. Skilled in the application of communication skills as a tool and charm and grace in a comforting way for people to relax and trust the interlace of the SO/SX. If one is compatible with the SO/SX in interests and shared values, they are one of the most insightful and interesting and entertaining people to converse with and truly care about other people and seek to share their understanding via gentle connection of mind and heart.

Sexual dominant, Self-Preservation 2nd, Social blindspot (SX/SP)

• Mindset: "If I can make (us) have an orderly & pleasing lifestyle, I can keep up and escalate all this merging/intensity."
    • Internally conflicted, inconsistent behaviour
    • SX blocked by SP, brooding, troubled
    • Isolation vs. emerging
    • Strictly personal outlook, not concerned with social consensus
    • Searching for missing piece, soulmate, form a secret bond
    • When stressed, severe sexual tensions may manifest as erratic behaviour
    • Restless, torn between stable home and urge to wander/explore intensity
    • Want the intensity of partner/pursuing personal interests with the stability and comfort of a home sanctuary
    • Archetypes: The Alchemist, shaman, self-injurer, cutter, tattoo artist
    • Missing Social, fresh air/sunlight, when you take away air you get death
    • Shrouded/hooded quality, cave dweller
    • Oblivious to the collective good
    • Communications are intimate, personal, no aura of the collective
    • Friend-of-the-dark, non-judgemental with people’s underbellies/corruption
    • The elements as metaphor: Upward death, rebirth, metamorphosis, burned to death and born again from new elements
    • Losing self to die in the other in upward peak of flame and ecstasy

• A lightning bolt captured in a bottle. The energy is always there but it's contained in a glass jar and only breaks free once in a while. The SX/SP is boxed in energy, self-contained, cutting, and focused. SX/SP types will often look angry even when they are not. There is a certain reality of emotion which they display that is due to their social obliviousness. Most SX's will be honest almost to a fault. SX/SP want to choose their friends wisely. A "with me or against me" attitude reminiscent of 6 and 8s. The least inhibited of all stackings. Cares less of what others think of them. The most likely to get into physical altercations, and may even enjoy fighting. Healthy SX/SP's will display a playful selfishness.
    • SX/SP have a inner confidence which is not usually found in other stackings. However they may lack social confidence or just may not pay any attention to social rituals at all. Put a SX/SP in a busy bar and they will be confident in themselves. But make them sit at their parent-in-laws for a formal family dinner and you won't see that same confidence. It's inner confidence rather than social confidence of the SX/SO. May be very popular without knowing or putting emphasis on it, unlike SO types.
    • SX/SP does create a kind of isolationary tendency though even in extroverted types, an in-their-own-world vibe, kinda oblivious sometimes. But ironically they can also be extremely insistent and aggressive on issues they feel strongly about, which they go on about in the SO realms in ways that will cause stronger SO's to cringe, it's so rough and undiplomatic. They can fall in love with their soapboxes. They can tune out of conversations, reacting suddenly when someone says something interesting, then snapping back to their inner focus whenever it gets boring. Also, making the odd crude joke, in bad taste. Or a faux pas, where they don't know it's the wrong thing to say until afterwards, or don't care.
    • SX manifests as strong drives towards pleasure, new experiences, personal transformations, spontaneity, being provocative and in the spotlight, flaunting to impress, extravagance, and unrealistic romantic fantasies and whims. But SP counters with worries, fears, practical downers, erecting walls, a need to hide and be secretive, and needs to conserve time, space, and energy.

Sexual dominant, Social 2nd, Self-Preservation blindspot (SX/SO) "The Sensual Player"

• Mindset: "If I can maintain position and inclusion in the group/world, I can keep up and escalate all this merging/intensity."

• Exudes raw charisma and sexual energy
    • Identify with what they’re involved with, become the symbol of its core essence
    • Can test boundaries and not content with status quo
    • Can have social/spiritual cause
    • Exploit and redefine sexuality to reflect their own colourful understanding of it
    • Pulled between intensity and episodes of peaceful convention
    • Want the intensity of partner/pursuing social interests, use the social realm to get what they need, up and out in the world, oriented toward people
    • Archetypes: The Chanteuse, comet, flamenco dancer, shooting star
    • Missing SP earth, lacking the dull weight, stick-in-the-mud quality of earth
    • Butterfly, shimmer and sparkle unsullied by dirt and seriousness/mundane concerns
    • Breakup of the monotony of hardened routines, incapacitation/difficulty moving forward in certain areas in life
    • Practical immaturity, nomadic, no roots
    • SX/SO is the "social revolutionary" stacking, leaning more toward cultural change than political change, though the two are obviously not mutually exclusive (SO/SP seems like the bigger player in the area of socio-political/governmental change). With the SO instinct in second position, SX-first energy is more phallic, a concentrated cluster of nerves leaning forward (SX), poking at the collective emotional space (SO); introducing heat which causes agitation in social groups, probing and forcing psychological exposure. And without the self-protective 'pullback' from SP concerns, it's a "no holes barred" scenario. The SO mid-position means that the social arena is a "neutral pool" ripe for seduction and seizure and big ebbs-and-flows of attraction and repulsion from SX. Depending on the enneatype, SP-lastness can make the SX/SO-person largely oblivious to the degree to which his revolution threatens his own survival. Thus, the person's subconscious attitude is 'full steam ahead'. Stick raw powerlines of SX-first into the electrically-conductive water of the social pool, and stagnant waters have no choice but to start poppin' and crackin'.
    • Use of exhibitionism. Besides the use of literal (physical) exposure, difficult or unsettling types of psycho-emotional exposure proffer a charged vulnerability reminiscent of genital exposure (displaying what is sensitive) which has no choice but to be registered as 'sexual' in the subconscious of the observer. This then is a way to foist reactivity into the crowd.
    • Energetic qualities associated with SX/SO: ripping, tearing, destroying, breaking, burning, disapproving, disobeying, dismissing, ridiculing, alienating, crowing, ranting, screaming, displaying, exposing, joining, embodying, asserting, confronting, changing, reinventing, transforming, breaking through, leaving behind, going overboard

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Being "horny" is related to hormones so no. lol
    Which hormones? Testosterone?

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Someone could have over-identified the act of having sex with the feeling of intimacy, see that act as the *only* reliable way to get intimacy, and thus over-focus on having sex, while self-identifying as seeking for intimacy?
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

SX types are always horny for intense connection.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavos View Post
    Time for sex ed? This is my Te quota for the day. I know the answer but I feel I can't answer it properly so I looked for some articles that weren't too dry and technical. The sea of them were overwhelming and several did a poor job of explaining the complexity without all the extraneous information.

It is more complex than just hormones but there has to be a balance of hormones. Testosterone is responsible more for male sex drive than women's. I am not even sure if studies actually confirm that testosterone is as important as othes in women. Women need a balance to really high testosterone so without balancing hormones it can lead to unwanted physical manifestations like increased aggression, facial hair and deeper voice (among other things).

1. Neuroscientific Context

Sexual desire is defined as the behavioural drive that motivates individuals to fantasize about or seek out sexual activity. In contrast, sexual arousal is defined as the autonomic physiological processes that prepare the body for sexual activity (Toledano, Pfaus., 2006). It is important to make clear distinctions between the two definitions as confusion can occur due to, the often simultaneous occurrence of both mechanisms (Pfaus., 2009).

Sexual desire is the culmination of several different neural mechanisms, each is controlled in different areas of the brain and is activated at different times of the sexual experience. The euphoric and pleasurable experience of sex stems primarily from the limbic system. The colloquial term for areas including the amygdala, hippocampus and limbic lobe (dentate and cingulate gyrus). This area is common to all mammals and is considered one of the oldest areas of the brain. It regulates emotion and encourages the avoidance of painful of aversive stimuli and the repetition of pleasurable experiences.

From a physiological perspective sexual arousal is controlled by the parasympathetic portion of the autonomic nervous system and manifests itself as vasodilation in sexual organs along with several other physiological phenomena including an increase in heart rate. An orgasm and in particular male ejaculation is controlled by the sympathetic portion, this is also accompanied by deactivation of many areas in the brain relating to external stimuli in particular fear, allowing the mind to focus on the task at hand.

1.1 Testosterone and Oestrogen

Sexual desire is initially modulated by the release of sex hormones, for males testosterone and for females oestrogen, our levels of these hormones are understood to affect our behaviour. Recent studies how found that male testosterone levels increase by approximately 7.8% in males even though they do no consider her attractive. (van der Meij, 2011)

Testosterone, a member of the androgen family of steroids, is secreted in the testes of males and the ovaries of females as well as small amounts from adrenal glands. Arousal causes the cerebral cortex to signal the hypothalamus to stimulate the production of testosterone, the production is regulated by a complex chain of events known as the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis; Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) is secreted by the hypothalamus, via the hypophyseal portal system, it travels to the anterior pituitary which then releases luteinizing hormone (LH) in order to stimulate the production of testosterone in the testes. Production levels are controlled by negative feedback.

Luteinizing hormones also stimulate the production of oestrogen in the ovaries, some oestrogens are also produced in other tissues such as the liver and adrenal glands. In females, oestrogen synthesis begins in cells in the ovaries by the synthesis of androstenedione, this compound then travels into the surrounding granulosa cells of the basal membrane where it is converted to oestrone or oestradiol, testosterone is also converted to oestradiol at this point.

1.2 Amygdala

Prior to the physical stimulation, comes sexual desire. Largely mediated by emotion through the limbic system, activation of the amygdala can trigger penile erection, sexual feelings,(Georgiadis and Holstege, 2005) sensations of extreme pleasure (Olds and Milner, 1954), memories of sexual intercourse (Gloor, 1986), as well as ovulation, uterine contractions, and orgasm.

The amygdala is sexually differentiated, males on average have a 16% larger cortico-medial area which is the area responsible for steroid uptake, specifically the male and female sex hormones testosterone and oestrogen. These are known to produce sex specific behaviours (Rhawn J, 2004). Males more then females, were found to have greater amygdala activation when presented with a sexually pleasing, visual stimuli (Hamann et al., 2004).

An increased density of enkephalins and opiate receptors can be also found in amydala. When experiencing a craving for pleasure inducing drugs these receptors becomes active. (Childress et al, 1999). This gives the amydala an ability to inducing extreme feelings of pleasure as well as motivating pleasure seeking behaviour.

Several case studies of subjects with lesions or tumors in areas proximal to the amygdala illustrated aggressive tendencies, became sexually preoccupied and experienced hyper religiosity thoughts similar to Kluver Bucy syndrome. (Devinsky, Sacks and Devinsky, 2010).

The amydala projects through three pathways to many areas of the brain, the stria terminalis, the amydalofugal pathway and the anterior commisure.These pathways influence hormonal and somatomotor aspects of behaviour and also emotional states. There is also increasing evidence that the central nucleus of the amygdala is responsible for pheromone detection given a large number of olfactory projections.

The amygdalofugal pathway connects the corticomedian nuclei of the amygdala with the thalamus, median hypothalamus, brain stem and nucleus accumbens. This pathway is thought to be responsible for pleasurable feelings. The stria terminalis has projections to and from the hypthothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and is thought to mediate threat monitoring and the stress response. It is thought to be responsible for sympathetic nervous system activation. The anterior commisure serves to connect the left and right amygdala. In a 1992 (Allen and Gorski) study it was thought to correlate to the sexual orientation of an individual as it was posited that male homosexuals had a anterior commisure more similar to a womans however this yet to be adequately supported by evidence.

1.3 Ventral striatum

Input travels from the basolateral nuclei of the amygdala along the amygdalofugal pathway to the ventral striatum, made up of the nucleus accumbens, putamen and parts of the caudate nucleus. The nucleus accumbens plays a role in pleasure and reward due to a large large of dopaminergic neurons from the VTA (ventral tegmental area).

Gert Holstege (2003) using Positron Emission Tomography measured cBF in males during orgasm and found "primary activation was found in the mesodiencephalic transition zone, including the ventral tegmental area......Parallels are drawn between ejaculation and heroin rush."

1.4 Orbitofrontal Cortex

The orbital frontal cortex (OFC) is located on ventrally along the frontal skull and superior to the orbits of the eye. The OFC has a large network of connections that project to a variety of areas in the brain, examples include; all somatosensory modalities, hippocampus, ventral tegmental axis and amygdala. The OFC has structural variability amongst individuals, three sub types have been identified; each sub-types contain different sulci locations (Kringelbach, Rolls., 2004). This is significant as disorders could potentially be linked to genetic factors due to the differences in each subtype.

In contrast to many other cortical regions, the OFC is still poorly understood. Currently it is understood that higher cognitive functions occur in this area, in particular, sensory integration "representing the affective value of reinforcers in expectation" and judgements based on reward and punishment(Kringelbach., 2005)

Orbitofrontal cortex shown in red

In terms of sexual desire, the OFC is thought to mediate reward and punishment and personal assessment, however. This relates to mate selection to whether an individual is perceived as desirable (Spinella., 2007). Evidence through studies into facial attractiveness and those involving males presented with a sexually attractive visual stimuli both support the OFC involvement in this role (O’Doherty et al., 2003, Stoleru.,2003).

Representing the reward value of sensory stimuli, beautiful faces andthe affective value of reinforcers in expectation (Ishai, 2007). The OFC is responsible for the disassociation of rewarding, adaptive value of a face can be disassociated from that of an aesthetically pleasing one. In effect mediating beauty for members of the opposite sex. Other functions of the OFC also include managing expectation, particularly based on memories modulated by projections from the hippocampus. These decisions, emotional states and perceived consequences are then used to modulate sexual desire and its related physiological responses

Patients with non functioning neurons in the medial orbitofrontal cortex were shown in several studies to have an increased sex drive and an inability to control their response to sexual stimuli, in extreme cases leading to hyper sexuality, drug use, gambling and an inability to empathise.

1.5 Vagus Nerve

Barry Komisaruk and Beverly Whipple researched *the phenomenon that is the orgasm in women, notably those who suffer from spinal cord injurie*s, to determine if there is a neural pathway from the genitals to the brain. In studies that included both upper level injuries (i.e. injuries that have affected T10 and above) and lower level injuries (i.e. injuries that have affected below T10) it was shown that it was possible for these women to perceive sensations in response to self stimulation of their genitalia. Along with this evidence, the women also reported discomfort during their menstrual cycle and those who were pregnant perceived uterine contractions. It was proposed that these sensations were taking a path to the brain that does not go via the spinal cord, that is the Vagus nerves.

The Vagus nerve is known to lead to the Nucleus Tractus Solitarii (NTS) in the Medulla Oblongata. Using Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) Komisaruk and Whipple implemented a prior experiment (a sweet-salty-sour-bitter taste test) to stimulate the NTS to show its activation pattern. It was hypothesised that with self stimulation the NTS would activate, thus showing that the Vagus nerves are the path taken to the brain, bypassing the spinal cord (Whipple, 2008). Following this stimulation of the brain via the vagus nerve during orgasm there was a difference in activity between preorgasm and orgasm. Areas of activation during and after orgasm include the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus (PVN), midbrain central gray, amygdala, hippocampus, anterior cingulate, frontal, parietal, temporal and insular cortices, anterior basal ganglia, and cerebellum (Whipple, 2008). Although this may be the explanation for female orgasms, there is no evidence to suggest that this is the case for males.

http://neurosciencefundamentals.unsw...re+involved%3F
    Sex drive and the brain

Sex drive is usually described as libido. There is no numeric measurement for libido. Instead, sex drive is understood in relevant terms. For example, a low libido means a decreased interest or desire in sex.

The male libido lives in two areas of the brain: the cerebral cortex and the limbic system. These parts of the brain are vital to a man’s sex drive and performance. They are so important, in fact, that a man can have an orgasm simply by thinking or dreaming about a sexual experience.
    The cerebral cortex is the gray matter that makes up the outer layer of the brain. It’s the part of your brain that’s responsible for higher functions like planning and thinking. This includes thinking about sex. When you become aroused, signals that originate in the cerebral cortex can interact with other parts of the brain and nerves. Some of these nerves speed up your heart rate and blood flow to your genitals. They also signal the process that creates an erection.

The limbic system includes multiple parts of the brain: the hippocampus, hypothalamus and amygdala, and others. These parts are involved with emotion, motivation, and sex drive. Researchers at Emory University found that viewing sexually arousing images increased activity in the amygdalae of men more than it did for women. However, there are many parts of the brain involved with sexual response, so this finding does not necessarily mean that men are more easily aroused than women.

Testosterone

Testosterone is the hormone most closely associated with male sex drive. Produced mainly in the testicles, testosterone has a crucial role in a number of body functions, including:

• development of male sex organs
    • growth of body hair
    • bone mass and muscle development
    • deepening of the voice in puberty
    • sperm production
    • production of red blood cells

Low levels of testosterone are often tied to a low libido. Testosterone levels tend to be higher in the morning and lower at night. In a man’s lifetime, his testosterone levels are at their highest in his late teens, after which they slowly begin to decline.

https://www.healthline.com/health/mens-health/sex-drive
    This is the effect that all hormones have on sex drive, generally:

1.Testosterone: Increases female libido. Testosterone is the hormone primarily responsible for sex drive in both men and women. When women with hypoactive sexual dysfunction disorder are treated with testosterone, for example, they often experienced increased sex drive.

Higher testosterone levels also enlarge the clitoris (good to know if yours is shy!), but unfortunately if other hormone levels do not rise along with testosterone, symptoms of hyperandrogenism such as facial hair and acne may manifest themselves. For this reason, testosterone supplementation is not an advisable method of increasing female libido.

2. Estrogen: Crucial at baseline for sexual function. It is also the primary hormone responsible for vaginal lubrication. However, estrogen is a testosterone antagonist, so the more estrogen a woman has in her system, the less testosterone she has available to pump up her libido. Estrogen dominance therefore is one of the greatest culprits in contemporary Western sexual dysfunction.

3. Progesterone: Another testosterone antagonist. Having elevated progesterone levels relative to the rest of the sex hormones prevents a woman from achieving orgasm.

4. Prolactin: Not talked about very often, since it’s primary role is in lactation, but it is also involved in pituitary-ovary signalling. Increasing prolactin levels increase vaginal lubrication and sex drive.

5. Luteinizing Hormone: Highly correlated with sex drive. LH is a pituitary hormone that triggers ovulation in a woman. Many researchers believe LH is one of the primary game-makers in sexual arousal.
    Because of the role each of these hormones play in female libido, the menstrual cycle demonstrates a clear pattern in fluctuating libido for most women.

http://paleoforwomen.com/paleo-and-s...female-libido/

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post
    Someone could have over-identified the act of having sex with the feeling of intimacy, see that act as the *only* reliable way to get intimacy, and thus over-focus on having sex, while self-identifying as seeking for intimacy?
    I agree with this but it doesn't mean they feel physically horny while doing it. It is fulfilling an emotional and psychological need to be intimate. I think this is common in sx first women who have emotional issues and psychological trauma as well. Not only sx first women are affected by those issues though. I have known sx second to as well. I have not thought about it much for men but I suppose they can also have sex for the intimacy and not actually be turned on, even if their body responds. If they feel empty after they probably need to see someone about that. :/

YWIMW

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Rabbits yaknow. FFFFFFFFFFFF grass FFFFFFFFFFF grass FFFFFFFFFFFF
    sx/sp at its splendor.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. It's more desiring intensity and close connections with people. On a romantic level, it is desiring the same. This question shows most people do not eve understand what "SX" instinct even means.

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm SP first and always horny. But I'm survival oriented so of course I'm horny a lot.
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Can only speak for myself for direct experiences. Yes. Though: closeted and politely so as not to risk lives. In the past, I realized that my extreme attitudes weren't received well and backfired (on my health in particular - guess why I'm SP last) so I tamed them. On the other hand, I don't spare certain people in my private existence, they know the full extent. That's all I disclose.

Theory-wise, SX/SP might more genuinely hornily expressed than SX/SO because of social last's no filter attitude + SP needs-meet-o-meter. SX/SO would rather "peacock", probe, and tease than go to the bodily SP level (in fact, they eschew it), unless you have some / lead with this stacking (Cuivienen might be SEE so it applies, do you see what I mean?). Though both have a certain level of need for stimulus going on constantly, and contrary to other types they will not ignore it, that makes the difference. Instincts are priorities. Add hormones of a specific age range to make it work, see @idontgiveaf.
    Wow. Thanks for acknowledging my horniness. I'm more horny than @Cuivienen
    @Cuivienen is just sexually frustrated.. Like me m(。≧Д≦。)m

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavos View Post
    I have high level of testosterone too.
    That's why basically i think like a male. And i have no female decency

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Time for sex ed? This is my Te quota for the day. I know the answer but I feel I can't answer it properly so I looked for some articles that weren't too dry and technical. The sea of them were overwhelming and several did a poor job of explaining the complexity without all the extraneous information.

It is more complex than just hormones but there has to be a balance of hormones. Testosterone is responsible more for male sex drive than women's. I am not even sure if studies actually confirm that testosterone is as important as othes in women. Women need a balance to really high testosterone so without balancing hormones it can lead to unwanted physical manifestations like increased aggression, facial hair and deeper voice (among other things).

Okay make sense why i get pimples like hormonal imbalance shit and constant horniness. I actually have mustache i swear

Im a male

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hormones are complex things. A certain amount of testosterone gets converted into the female hormone estradiol, so too much testosterone equals too much estradiol, which by the way, is thought to create hormone related unnecessary aggression in males, when their estradiol/estrogen level is too high, and also when you see body builders or the like with so called 'man boobs', that's because they are on too much injected testosterone which converts into estradiol/estrogen giving them said chest sensitive nipples etc.

A certain amount of testosterone gets converted into another steroid called DHT, which is about 3 times more potent than testosterone, and can't be hydrolized to convert into estradiol/estrogen, so some body builders will use this instead.

So it seems that regular aerobic exercise can cause the body to naturally up it's percentage of production of DHT like here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3040039/ (no need to read, very convoluted and somewhat boring....)

But, for sexual activity, so many factors come in to play. Hormone balance. Weight too, excess body fat can affect hormones in men, causing more testosterone to convert into estradiol/estrogen. Also being overweight can affect blood pressure and diabetes which both can affect male sexual function.

So, it's a huge thing, not even doctors/chemists understand it all, but plenty of people can have lower than normal testosterone but it shows no signs, because of hormone balance and also because how much of that testosterone hormone is unbound in the blood stream.

I've spoke to guys before who have taken testosterone, and it's like they have to become miniature chemists. Lots of work, so no, not type related, and not even the gimmick of 'take extra T for that early rise feeling and fatigue removal' either, it's mostly just a marketing trick so people spend. Sure it might put an extra quarter of an inch of muscle on your arms, but is it worth it even for the layman for all the other monitoring and injecting that goes with it, I wouldn't think so, unless you have serious problems that aren't due to other factors like life stress, or lack of it, diet and such.

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sx is sex, like everything else. All the other instincts are self-deceptions. The world is created and destroyed through the union of opposites, also known as sex. This isn't even a metaphor. All longing is libido, and you can get what you want, but you can't want what you want. You don't even have an "instinct stacking." It's just Sx all the way down. Sx/Sx/Sx/Sx/Sx/Sx/Sx/Sx... Everything is burning burning burning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/133-Instinctual-Stackings"

Why can I not access this page?

TIM
    EII 4w3 Sx/sp
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mostly, yes, especially when you have connected very deeply with a person.

C-EII-INFj 4w3 Sx/sp 479

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Noooo way we're just expressive duhh

TIM
    EII 4w3 Sx/sp
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idontgiveaf View Post
    Noooo way we're just expressive duhh
    Sx/sps are not necessarily expressive though

C-EII-INFj 4w3 Sx/sp 479

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaebette View Post
    Sx/sps are not necessarily expressive though
    Who's the expressive types

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idontgiveaf View Post
    Who's the expressive types
    4s, 7s and 8s

The most expressive stacking is probably sx/so.

General Remarks
    There are three fundamental instincts in human existence: the self-preserving (survival), the social and the sexual. You are governed by every one of these instincts, of course, but one of them will dominate your life. The instinct dominating you is the one that is the most DAMAGED of the three, where you are the least in touch with your essence, where you have the least access to that effortless flow the Zen archer uses to hit his target without aiming. In a three-party system, it is the one which carries the voice. In a family with three children, it is that crippled child who needs the most attention. It is where you are leaking essence the most dangerously. It is where you waste the most energy, while resisting the flow of essence. But just as you can change your enslaving passion into liberating virtue, your gravest deficiency can turn into the greatest fulfillment, and your most damaged instinct can become your most healed. Free-flowing instinct is pure energy.

The dominant instinct is to our basic nature what the ruling passion is to the personality type. It seems to me that our priorities are set on a more fundamental, primary, immutable level as defined by our instincts than as determined by our personality-based value system, and that a successful relationship may be more dependent on shared instinctual drives than on any particular match of our ennea types.

Let’s clarify at this point a matter of terminology. The word subtype has been used by Helen Palmer and Richard Rohr to refer to the dominant instinctual drive as revealed within the context of the enneagram. I disagree with this usage, and prefer the term instinctual type (IT). I believe that as the enneagram describes the human, so the instinct describes the animal in you, in a partnership where one is not a subordinate (i.e. subtype) of the other. As a matter of fact, each can be explored on its own, without any reference to the other. They act upon each other: you can block an impulse through your personality, or silence your personality through an impulse, or else arrive at some sort of compromise. It must also be mentioned that what Don Riso calls an enneagram subtype is determined by wings and secondary dynamics, a definition completely unrelated to IT.

I understand that according to Oscar Ichazo, the mother is responsible if you become predominantly self-preserving, the father if you become social, and both parents if you become sexual. In my understanding, Claudio Naranjo does not share this view. They both agree, however, that the dominant instinct is formed by age 2. I suspect that we are born with it, as in all probability we are born with a certain propensity to our ruling passion. I’ve intuited it in babies, even newborns at times.

When under pressure, what do you tend to do to let off the steam: do you get sick? do you head for the bar and have a drink with your buddies? or do you prefer a bit of heavy petting (but no more)? can you tell when your stomach is full? can you be of true service to your fellow humans? can you allow another person to touch you in an intimate way?

These questions can be answered incompletely or not at all from the perspective of the enneagram alone. What is needed here is a deep understanding of what the instinctual drives are and how they are running you.
    You can move with, against or away from an instinctual impulse. Such movement can be unusual or typical for you, mild or intense, a matter of choice or compulsive. For example, you can move with self-preservation and become truly caring, against people and become antisocial, or away from sexuality and become a monk. What matters is not the direction in which you move, but how inappropriate and removed from essence this move may be.

The self-preserving instinct is associated with vigilance, protectiveness and aggression; in one way or another you have to fight to stay alive, and you must destroy in order to eat.

The social instinct corresponds to the herd instinct in animals; it involves the sense of belonging to a group, and a preoccupation with your interactions with and place within the group, the pecking order.

The sexual instinct strives towards syntony with the world, to be in tune and vibrate with it; you have to cover a lot of space, emit the strongest and pick up the subtlest signals when searching for the most or best of mates.

The Freudian stages of development are closely related concepts: the oral stage is equivalent to the self-preserving, the anal to the social, and the genital to the sexual instinct. In the first, the primary concerns revolve around nourishment, safety, the maintenance of the homeostasis. In the second, the issues are defined by that first attempt at civilization, toilet training, with its attendant notions of pride and shame, giving and retentiveness. In the third, the most private body parts, and the most intimate and intense experiences are involved.

The self-preserving instinct represents the lowest and the sexual the highest energy level. However, neither this ranking nor any other differentiation of the ITs constitutes a value judgement, just as the ennea types are all equal to one another. Early on, I detected a tendency in many to classify themselves as the sexual IT, as if a certain desirability was attached to it. It may help to be reminded that your dominating instinct is the one which is the most impaired.

Self-preserving (SP):
    I am my body
    Heaviness
    Anxiety all the way to hysterical visions of annihilation; cold panic (if I move, something awful is going to happen; think of a Hitchcock movie)
    Paranoid streak; blaming and accusing others for damaging/endangering/ exploiting self
    Aggressive/defensive
    Money
    Nourishment
    Health; hypochondria
    Logistics
    Generous at feeding others, helping others out in SP crises
    The people who shop only in health food stores, filter the water, install triple locks and security system, refuse vaccination
    Excessively cautious or self-destructive, even suicidal

Social (SO):
    Can be the most decent yet often fake, manipulative, or subtly to grossly antisocial (essence present or left out when relating)
    Prestige, popularity, fame
    Superiority/inferiority problems (forgetting that we’re all equal in our essential functioning)
    Delusions of grandeur or of outcast
    Involved in causes
    Clubs, parties, groups
    The scene, the beautiful people, chic, fashionable, what’s in
    Going with or against the flow
    Socialite/philanthropist/misanthrope
    Political or religious crime (terrorists, anarchists)
    Confusion of boundaries between “you” and “me,” “yours” and “mine” (i.e. using one’s home as a public place, picking from another’s plate as it were one’s own)

Sexual (SX):
    Vibrating out there, looking for a mate; peacock displaying his feathers, deer locking antlers
    Susceptibility to states of intoxication, tripping
    Schizoid disposition (split between affect and intellect, invalidating one with the other)
    Lightness, playfulness
    Curious, seeking, searching
    Often has shiny, leaky eyes (leaking the high energy of sexuality)
    Not about orgasm (which one can have alone) but about letting go, dropping barriers, intimacy, closeness, union through revealing/denuding oneself
    Madonna or whore, abstinent or promiscuous
    Frigid or impotent, unusual sexual preferences
    Crime of passion
    Least likely to become famous (SP goes for immortality, SO intent on glory; SX has other things to do)

Questions
    SP: How am I? (I can’t tell what I need to be safe and sound)
    SO: Who am I? (you tell me; I’m defined by my relation to you and them, my place in the hierarchy)
    SX: What’s going on? (all over the place; has to tune in on the lookout for a mate)

Idealized self-image
    SP: I have psychic powers and I am invulnerable. My life is without a beginning or an end; I can see my past lives and my afterlife. I can predict the future and need not fear the unexpected.
    SO: I am considerate, friendly, generous and self-sacrificing. I possess greatness which commands admiration and respect, and my position in life reflects my exceptional qualities.
    SX: I have the power to attract whomever I choose and I know what passion means. I am in tune with the world around, sense its vibrations, and am ready to respond when my mate calls.

Central delusion
    SP: There must be a way to beat death (i.e. take lots of vitamin C, jog every day, rely on medical science, healing arts, psychic powers)
    SO: I can get from the outside what I’m lacking inside (togetherness, self-approval, acceptance, love)
    SX: Through union with the One I can transcend myself, achieve wholeness (oneness with myself; I’m the half of a pair)

Dilemma
    SP: To be or not to be; how to be
    SO: To relate or not to relate; how to relate
    SX: To be intimate or not to be intimate; how to be intimate

Main concern with:
    SP: Self
    SO: Group
    SX: Mate

Aversion to:
    SP: Living
    SO: Relating
    SX: Sex

Special difficulties
    SP: Mortality irrevocable (suicidal impulse may arise because can’t take the anxious suspense)
    SO: Ephemeral and incomplete gratification (physical satisfaction possible for SP and SX but relating yields intangible satisfaction only; can’t feed all the hungry, can’t be liked by everyone)
    SX: Stop the high vibration, achieve stillness

Get cookies from:
    SP: Safety, security
    SO: Popularity, fame
    SX: Closeness, intimacy

Fear of:
    SP: Poverty, illness, death (insecurity as one of first distortions)
    SO: Loneliness
    SX: Worthlessness (no self-value)

Craving:
    SP: Security
    SO: High ranking
    SX: Power

Drugs:
    SP: Painkillers, tranquilizers, opiates
    SO:Alcohol, amphetamines, cocaine (activate relating)
    SX:LSD,mescaline (mind expanders)

Sex:
    SP: Sensuous
    SO: Friendly
    SX: Imaginary

At a party:
    SP: What’s there to eat and drink? Why is it so hot in here? This chair is bad for my back!
    SO: Am I wearing the right clothes? Who are the right people to talk to? What’s the right thing to say?
    SX: What am I doing here? (scans the room looking for the one right person; ends up in a corner talking to one person)

Focus when divorcing:
    SP: Finances, who will take care of me from now on, who will give me a glass of water when I’m sick
    SO: How can I cope with my new status, what will people say
    SX: What happened, what went wrong between us? I’m a failure, I’m nothing

Joining spiritual/religious groups:
    SP: Looking for immortality
    SO: Looking for companionship
    SX: Looking for the Beloved

Demonstrations, causes:
    SP: Against nuclear power plants, against abortion, don’t feed hormones to cows, don’t use pesticides
    SO: Equal rights, Save the Whale, stop the war, stop capital punishment
    SX: Gay and lesbian rights but mostly none

Chances are your dominant instinct is NOT:
    SP: If food is no big deal for you
    SO: If gatherings are no big deal for you
    SX: If sex is no big deal for you

Examples for dominant instinct:
    SP: Moliere’s Le Malade Imaginaire (The Imaginary Invalid), Karl Marx, Thomas Robert Malthus, Howard Hughes, the Frugal Gourmet, Ralph Nader
    SO: Judas, Jane Austen, Charles Manson, Caesar Chavez, Emily Post, Mahatma Gandhi, Karen Horney, Nelson Mandela, Jimmy Carter
    SX: Marquis de Sade, Tom Jones, James Bond, Don Giovanni, Anain Nin, Sigmund Freud, Marilyn Monroe, Lorena Bobbit

Miscellaneous:
    SP and SX like to stay at home - for SO it’s an issue.
    SP and SX are prone to allergies (former more to food and chemicals, latter especially seasonally, i.e. to nature’s sex life).
    SP and SO are people for whom, fairly often, a cigar is really just a cigar.
    SP are prone to obesity and diet fads.
    SO most likely to be unwashed and unkempt (antisocial).
    SX are liable to insect phobias, tend to be picky eaters.
    SP lie and sit, SO stand and walk, SX run and fly.
    SP and SX are more readily identified than SO which, at least initially, may be recognized through elimination of the other two types only.

Interactions Between Ennea Types and Instinctual Types
    Inevitably, we bring our particular passional distortion and corresponding cognitive bias to the way we block, divert and express our instinctive impulses, and therefore specific issues will characterize each IT; each of the 27 intersections between the three instincts and the nine fixations has a specific focal issue. You will find a list of the ennea type-specific issues at the end of this article. However, you must work with the instincts separately, entirely on their own and independently of the enneagram, in order to recognize which is the one ruling you and how your particular delusional system operates. You might want to rank them, from most to least damaged; it is useful to know such things about oneself.

Going solely by the issues specified for ITs can be quite misleading. For instance, ennea type 1 people tend to identify with “anxiety” the most readily; a direct experience of “rigidity” is less likely than that of anxiety, and pervasive “jealousy” is easily hidden by a strong taboo against it. (I find that female 1’s have great trouble recognizing themselves as the sexual IT, perhaps because sexuality is not considered to be proper—should I say desirable?)

The biases of the ennea and instinctual types can overlap or collide, and the distribution of the ITs around the enneagram is by no means even. Thus, the relationship-oriented type 2 is more often than not social, and the body-conscious 9 self-preserving; 4s, preoccupied as they are by the themes of love and death, seem equally predisposed towards the sexual and self-preservation instincts, although for reasons that are not very clear, the former is predominant among women and the latter among men. Difficult mixes include social 5 (an evident paradox), sexual 6 (clash between caution and impulsiveness), and self-preservation 2 (self-centered vs. other-centered).

Awareness of your issues in terms of the instincts is helpful in finding your place on the enneagram. When teaching, I prefer to start with a description of the dominant instinctual types. Not only are they simpler to convey than the enneagram of personality types, but they also help people to become more receptive to the notion of being “boxed in,” and gain a more subtle, discriminating insight when exploring their compulsive pattern.

<Note: The animal (i.e. instinctual drives) is less complex than the person (i.e. passional and cognitive biases). Recognition and acceptance of one categorization prepares the ground for recognition and acceptance of the other.>

A Few Recommendations
    1. Explore your personal history and priorities from the viewpoint of the instincts, preferably in writing. Some possible topics:
    Relationship to money;
    Importance of popularity/status;
    The story of your sexuality from puberty to present.

2. Observe yourself in everyday action.
    On Day 1, focus on concerns around survival: can you take care of yourself constructively, effortlessly? do you have frequent pangs of anxiety over your safety? how much do you worry about financial matters, your health?
    On Day 2, be aware of how you feel around people: are you tense or relaxed? fake or genuine? hostile or helpful?
    On Day 3, allow yourself to perceive your curiosity and libidinal impulses: how ubiquitous? do you approve or disapprove of them and in what contexts?

3. Be suspicious if you find that you never act a certain way and consider that “never” may be equivalent to “always.” An issue specified for an IT is just that—an issue; it’s irrelevant whether you yield to or repress it. An ennea type 4 who claims she never competes is as likely to be dominated by the sexual instinct as the one who admits to a compulsive competitive urge.

Specific Issues for Instinctual Types

Type 1
    SP: Anxiety (catastrophic expectations, sense of incompleteness)
    SO: Rigidity (inadaptability, inflexibility)
    SX: Jealousy (rivalry centered around perfection; explosive expression or total repression of criticalness)

Type 2
    SP: “Me first” (especially evident in crisis)
    SO: Ambition (sucking up to status symbols, using people, craving admiration, saintly aspirations)
    SX: Seduction/conquest (impersonal and compulsive)

Type 3
    SP: Security (accumulating enough to last forever, amass money)
    SO: Prestige, achievement (must get to the top)
    SX: Masculine/feminine (differentiation in terms of role playing, going after image)

Type 4
    SP: Dauntlessness, recklessness (my fate is so awful that I might as well make it worse)
    SO: Shame (saving face, honor violated worse than death)
    SX: Competition (compulsive comparing of self and other)

Type 5
    SP: “My home, my castle” (safe, hidden place—not family!)
    SO: Totem (assume a role, pick an identity and relate exclusively through that)
    SX: Trust, confidence (need for total love and acceptance)

Type 6
    SP: Warmth (need and/or rejection of)
    SO: Duty (relationship as authority dictating conduct, to be obeyed or opposed)
    SX: “Strength and beauty” (both within and without)

Type 7
    SP: Family or group (security of belonging)
    SO: Sacrifice (narcissistic reward in their own goodness, cheerful enduring of martyrdom)
    SX: Suggestibility (pervasive; fascination by all that is new and fantastic)
    Type 8
    SP: Satisfactory survival (not just any kind of survival; pushing, grabbing, ordering, controlling)
    SO: Friends/enemies (world perceived in black and white; champion of the people, largesse)
    SX: Possession/surrender (need for total domination or willingness to give up all control)

Type 9
    SP: Appetite (in all senses, not what he needs but what he wants; hunger can be satisfied but not appetite)
    SO: Participation (careful to avoid the center, don’t want to get really involved)
    SX: Union (merging; much more than sex)

YWIMW

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

4s, 7s and 8s

The most expressive stacking is probably sx/so.

General Remarks
    There are three fundamental instincts in human existence: the self-preserving (survival), the social and the sexual. You are governed by every one of these instincts, of course, but one of them will dominate your life. The instinct dominating you is the one that is the most DAMAGED of the three, where you are the least in touch with your essence, where you have the least access to that effortless flow the Zen archer uses to hit his target without aiming. In a three-party system, it is the one which carries the voice. In a family with three children, it is that crippled child who needs the most attention. It is where you are leaking essence the most dangerously. It is where you waste the most energy, while resisting the flow of essence. But just as you can change your enslaving passion into liberating virtue, your gravest deficiency can turn into the greatest fulfillment, and your most damaged instinct can become your most healed. Free-flowing instinct is pure energy.

The dominant instinct is to our basic nature what the ruling passion is to the personality type. It seems to me that our priorities are set on a more fundamental, primary, immutable level as defined by our instincts than as determined by our personality-based value system, and that a successful relationship may be more dependent on shared instinctual drives than on any particular match of our ennea types.

Let’s clarify at this point a matter of terminology. The word subtype has been used by Helen Palmer and Richard Rohr to refer to the dominant instinctual drive as revealed within the context of the enneagram. I disagree with this usage, and prefer the term instinctual type (IT). I believe that as the enneagram describes the human, so the instinct describes the animal in you, in a partnership where one is not a subordinate (i.e. subtype) of the other. As a matter of fact, each can be explored on its own, without any reference to the other. They act upon each other: you can block an impulse through your personality, or silence your personality through an impulse, or else arrive at some sort of compromise. It must also be mentioned that what Don Riso calls an enneagram subtype is determined by wings and secondary dynamics, a definition completely unrelated to IT.

I understand that according to Oscar Ichazo, the mother is responsible if you become predominantly self-preserving, the father if you become social, and both parents if you become sexual. In my understanding, Claudio Naranjo does not share this view. They both agree, however, that the dominant instinct is formed by age 2. I suspect that we are born with it, as in all probability we are born with a certain propensity to our ruling passion. I’ve intuited it in babies, even newborns at times.

When under pressure, what do you tend to do to let off the steam: do you get sick? do you head for the bar and have a drink with your buddies? or do you prefer a bit of heavy petting (but no more)? can you tell when your stomach is full? can you be of true service to your fellow humans? can you allow another person to touch you in an intimate way?

These questions can be answered incompletely or not at all from the perspective of the enneagram alone. What is needed here is a deep understanding of what the instinctual drives are and how they are running you.
    You can move with, against or away from an instinctual impulse. Such movement can be unusual or typical for you, mild or intense, a matter of choice or compulsive. For example, you can move with self-preservation and become truly caring, against people and become antisocial, or away from sexuality and become a monk. What matters is not the direction in which you move, but how inappropriate and removed from essence this move may be.

The self-preserving instinct is associated with vigilance, protectiveness and aggression; in one way or another you have to fight to stay alive, and you must destroy in order to eat.

The social instinct corresponds to the herd instinct in animals; it involves the sense of belonging to a group, and a preoccupation with your interactions with and place within the group, the pecking order.

The sexual instinct strives towards syntony with the world, to be in tune and vibrate with it; you have to cover a lot of space, emit the strongest and pick up the subtlest signals when searching for the most or best of mates.

The Freudian stages of development are closely related concepts: the oral stage is equivalent to the self-preserving, the anal to the social, and the genital to the sexual instinct. In the first, the primary concerns revolve around nourishment, safety, the maintenance of the homeostasis. In the second, the issues are defined by that first attempt at civilization, toilet training, with its attendant notions of pride and shame, giving and retentiveness. In the third, the most private body parts, and the most intimate and intense experiences are involved.

The self-preserving instinct represents the lowest and the sexual the highest energy level. However, neither this ranking nor any other differentiation of the ITs constitutes a value judgement, just as the ennea types are all equal to one another. Early on, I detected a tendency in many to classify themselves as the sexual IT, as if a certain desirability was attached to it. It may help to be reminded that your dominating instinct is the one which is the most impaired.

Self-preserving (SP):
    I am my body
    Heaviness
    Anxiety all the way to hysterical visions of annihilation; cold panic (if I move, something awful is going to happen; think of a Hitchcock movie)
    Paranoid streak; blaming and accusing others for damaging/endangering/ exploiting self
    Aggressive/defensive
    Money
    Nourishment
    Health; hypochondria
    Logistics
    Generous at feeding others, helping others out in SP crises
    The people who shop only in health food stores, filter the water, install triple locks and security system, refuse vaccination
    Excessively cautious or self-destructive, even suicidal

Social (SO):
    Can be the most decent yet often fake, manipulative, or subtly to grossly antisocial (essence present or left out when relating)
    Prestige, popularity, fame
    Superiority/inferiority problems (forgetting that we’re all equal in our essential functioning)
    Delusions of grandeur or of outcast
    Involved in causes
    Clubs, parties, groups
    The scene, the beautiful people, chic, fashionable, what’s in
    Going with or against the flow
    Socialite/philanthropist/misanthrope
    Political or religious crime (terrorists, anarchists)
    Confusion of boundaries between “you” and “me,” “yours” and “mine” (i.e. using one’s home as a public place, picking from another’s plate as it were one’s own)

Sexual (SX):
    Vibrating out there, looking for a mate; peacock displaying his feathers, deer locking antlers
    Susceptibility to states of intoxication, tripping
    Schizoid disposition (split between affect and intellect, invalidating one with the other)
    Lightness, playfulness
    Curious, seeking, searching
    Often has shiny, leaky eyes (leaking the high energy of sexuality)
    Not about orgasm (which one can have alone) but about letting go, dropping barriers, intimacy, closeness, union through revealing/denuding oneself
    Madonna or whore, abstinent or promiscuous
    Frigid or impotent, unusual sexual preferences
    Crime of passion
    Least likely to become famous (SP goes for immortality, SO intent on glory; SX has other things to do)

Questions
    SP: How am I? (I can’t tell what I need to be safe and sound)
    SO: Who am I? (you tell me; I’m defined by my relation to you and them, my place in the hierarchy)
    SX: What’s going on? (all over the place; has to tune in on the lookout for a mate)

Idealized self-image
    SP: I have psychic powers and I am invulnerable. My life is without a beginning or an end; I can see my past lives and my afterlife. I can predict the future and need not fear the unexpected.
    SO: I am considerate, friendly, generous and self-sacrificing. I possess greatness which commands admiration and respect, and my position in life reflects my exceptional qualities.
    SX: I have the power to attract whomever I choose and I know what passion means. I am in tune with the world around, sense its vibrations, and am ready to respond when my mate calls.

Central delusion
    SP: There must be a way to beat death (i.e. take lots of vitamin C, jog every day, rely on medical science, healing arts, psychic powers)
    SO: I can get from the outside what I’m lacking inside (togetherness, self-approval, acceptance, love)
    SX: Through union with the One I can transcend myself, achieve wholeness (oneness with myself; I’m the half of a pair)

Dilemma
    SP: To be or not to be; how to be
    SO: To relate or not to relate; how to relate
    SX: To be intimate or not to be intimate; how to be intimate

Main concern with:
    SP: Self
    SO: Group
    SX: Mate

Aversion to:
    SP: Living
    SO: Relating
    SX: Sex

Special difficulties
    SP: Mortality irrevocable (suicidal impulse may arise because can’t take the anxious suspense)
    SO: Ephemeral and incomplete gratification (physical satisfaction possible for SP and SX but relating yields intangible satisfaction only; can’t feed all the hungry, can’t be liked by everyone)
    SX: Stop the high vibration, achieve stillness

Get cookies from:
    SP: Safety, security
    SO: Popularity, fame
    SX: Closeness, intimacy

Fear of:
    SP: Poverty, illness, death (insecurity as one of first distortions)
    SO: Loneliness
    SX: Worthlessness (no self-value)

Craving:
    SP: Security
    SO: High ranking
    SX: Power

Drugs:
    SP: Painkillers, tranquilizers, opiates
    SO:Alcohol, amphetamines, cocaine (activate relating)
    SX:LSD,mescaline (mind expanders)

Sex:
    SP: Sensuous
    SO: Friendly
    SX: Imaginary

At a party:
    SP: What’s there to eat and drink? Why is it so hot in here? This chair is bad for my back!
    SO: Am I wearing the right clothes? Who are the right people to talk to? What’s the right thing to say?
    SX: What am I doing here? (scans the room looking for the one right person; ends up in a corner talking to one person)

Focus when divorcing:
    SP: Finances, who will take care of me from now on, who will give me a glass of water when I’m sick
    SO: How can I cope with my new status, what will people say
    SX: What happened, what went wrong between us? I’m a failure, I’m nothing

Joining spiritual/religious groups:
    SP: Looking for immortality
    SO: Looking for companionship
    SX: Looking for the Beloved

Demonstrations, causes:
    SP: Against nuclear power plants, against abortion, don’t feed hormones to cows, don’t use pesticides
    SO: Equal rights, Save the Whale, stop the war, stop capital punishment
    SX: Gay and lesbian rights but mostly none

Chances are your dominant instinct is NOT:
    SP: If food is no big deal for you
    SO: If gatherings are no big deal for you
    SX: If sex is no big deal for you

Examples for dominant instinct:
    SP: Moliere’s Le Malade Imaginaire (The Imaginary Invalid), Karl Marx, Thomas Robert Malthus, Howard Hughes, the Frugal Gourmet, Ralph Nader
    SO: Judas, Jane Austen, Charles Manson, Caesar Chavez, Emily Post, Mahatma Gandhi, Karen Horney, Nelson Mandela, Jimmy Carter
    SX: Marquis de Sade, Tom Jones, James Bond, Don Giovanni, Anain Nin, Sigmund Freud, Marilyn Monroe, Lorena Bobbit

Miscellaneous:
    SP and SX like to stay at home - for SO it’s an issue.
    SP and SX are prone to allergies (former more to food and chemicals, latter especially seasonally, i.e. to nature’s sex life).
    SP and SO are people for whom, fairly often, a cigar is really just a cigar.
    SP are prone to obesity and diet fads.
    SO most likely to be unwashed and unkempt (antisocial).
    SX are liable to insect phobias, tend to be picky eaters.
    SP lie and sit, SO stand and walk, SX run and fly.
    SP and SX are more readily identified than SO which, at least initially, may be recognized through elimination of the other two types only.

Interactions Between Ennea Types and Instinctual Types
    Inevitably, we bring our particular passional distortion and corresponding cognitive bias to the way we block, divert and express our instinctive impulses, and therefore specific issues will characterize each IT; each of the 27 intersections between the three instincts and the nine fixations has a specific focal issue. You will find a list of the ennea type-specific issues at the end of this article. However, you must work with the instincts separately, entirely on their own and independently of the enneagram, in order to recognize which is the one ruling you and how your particular delusional system operates. You might want to rank them, from most to least damaged; it is useful to know such things about oneself.

Going solely by the issues specified for ITs can be quite misleading. For instance, ennea type 1 people tend to identify with “anxiety” the most readily; a direct experience of “rigidity” is less likely than that of anxiety, and pervasive “jealousy” is easily hidden by a strong taboo against it. (I find that female 1’s have great trouble recognizing themselves as the sexual IT, perhaps because sexuality is not considered to be proper—should I say desirable?)

The biases of the ennea and instinctual types can overlap or collide, and the distribution of the ITs around the enneagram is by no means even. Thus, the relationship-oriented type 2 is more often than not social, and the body-conscious 9 self-preserving; 4s, preoccupied as they are by the themes of love and death, seem equally predisposed towards the sexual and self-preservation instincts, although for reasons that are not very clear, the former is predominant among women and the latter among men. Difficult mixes include social 5 (an evident paradox), sexual 6 (clash between caution and impulsiveness), and self-preservation 2 (self-centered vs. other-centered).

Awareness of your issues in terms of the instincts is helpful in finding your place on the enneagram. When teaching, I prefer to start with a description of the dominant instinctual types. Not only are they simpler to convey than the enneagram of personality types, but they also help people to become more receptive to the notion of being “boxed in,” and gain a more subtle, discriminating insight when exploring their compulsive pattern.

<Note: The animal (i.e. instinctual drives) is less complex than the person (i.e. passional and cognitive biases). Recognition and acceptance of one categorization prepares the ground for recognition and acceptance of the other.>

A Few Recommendations
    1. Explore your personal history and priorities from the viewpoint of the instincts, preferably in writing. Some possible topics:
    Relationship to money;
    Importance of popularity/status;
    The story of your sexuality from puberty to present.

2. Observe yourself in everyday action.
    On Day 1, focus on concerns around survival: can you take care of yourself constructively, effortlessly? do you have frequent pangs of anxiety over your safety? how much do you worry about financial matters, your health?
    On Day 2, be aware of how you feel around people: are you tense or relaxed? fake or genuine? hostile or helpful?
    On Day 3, allow yourself to perceive your curiosity and libidinal impulses: how ubiquitous? do you approve or disapprove of them and in what contexts?

3. Be suspicious if you find that you never act a certain way and consider that “never” may be equivalent to “always.” An issue specified for an IT is just that—an issue; it’s irrelevant whether you yield to or repress it. An ennea type 4 who claims she never competes is as likely to be dominated by the sexual instinct as the one who admits to a compulsive competitive urge.

Specific Issues for Instinctual Types

Type 1
    SP: Anxiety (catastrophic expectations, sense of incompleteness)
    SO: Rigidity (inadaptability, inflexibility)
    SX: Jealousy (rivalry centered around perfection; explosive expression or total repression of criticalness)

Type 2
    SP: “Me first” (especially evident in crisis)
    SO: Ambition (sucking up to status symbols, using people, craving admiration, saintly aspirations)
    SX: Seduction/conquest (impersonal and compulsive)

Type 3
    SP: Security (accumulating enough to last forever, amass money)
    SO: Prestige, achievement (must get to the top)
    SX: Masculine/feminine (differentiation in terms of role playing, going after image)

Type 4
    SP: Dauntlessness, recklessness (my fate is so awful that I might as well make it worse)
    SO: Shame (saving face, honor violated worse than death)
    SX: Competition (compulsive comparing of self and other)

Type 5
    SP: “My home, my castle” (safe, hidden place—not family!)
    SO: Totem (assume a role, pick an identity and relate exclusively through that)
    SX: Trust, confidence (need for total love and acceptance)

Type 6
    SP: Warmth (need and/or rejection of)
    SO: Duty (relationship as authority dictating conduct, to be obeyed or opposed)
    SX: “Strength and beauty” (both within and without)

Type 7
    SP: Family or group (security of belonging)
    SO: Sacrifice (narcissistic reward in their own goodness, cheerful enduring of martyrdom)
    SX: Suggestibility (pervasive; fascination by all that is new and fantastic)
    Type 8
    SP: Satisfactory survival (not just any kind of survival; pushing, grabbing, ordering, controlling)
    SO: Friends/enemies (world perceived in black and white; champion of the people, largesse)
    SX: Possession/surrender (need for total domination or willingness to give up all control)

Type 9
    SP: Appetite (in all senses, not what he needs but what he wants; hunger can be satisfied but not appetite)
    SO: Participation (careful to avoid the center, don’t want to get really involved)
    SX: Union (merging; much more than sex)
    Thanks...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everybody is 'always horny' in a sense - especially males and our caveman animalism. But it's better and healthier I think to deny this urge as much as possible until you can't any more and you *have* to unleash your beast. Ironically, I think this too also helps cure perversions that are immorally wrong. It won't take much to get you going when your head is in a better spot. Otherwise you will develop sexual addictions and need bizarre/extreme things to turn you on which becomes ethically and societally problematic. Problem is also society just sucks, and often can't tell the difference between adult homosexuals who just want hot consenting sex between themselves and the jeffrey dahmers of the world. It's all the same thing to them.

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Of course we are.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Not higher libido in general, but a higher extreme in it when it comes to their object of attraction than others, sx types fetishize their obsessions for their own pleasure. They look at their object like a deity of sex while frothing at the mouth. But sx types are also human so they usually mix in love with this, so it's not always apparent for the sx person. But the sexual instinct is actually a block for real love though, because we want to literally own the person because we want to integrate them in ourselves that badly. Think of when you see a cute puppy, and you want to squeeze it to death, you know? Thats related to our sexuality and the sexual instinct. We want to subconsciously push it into ourselves, own it, while we're taking no regard to how that little cute animal is actually feeling (if we were to squeeze it do death), we just find it so overwhelmingly cute that we want it. It's kind of the same thing with sx firsts and their obsession but with more obvious sexuality involved.
    Sexual firsts are obsessed with one person more than the other stackings, it's like an addiction, and really its not about the other person its about you being selfish and trying to find your own high and satisfy yourself.
    Last edited by maniac; 11-23-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

...cus I'm weak.

And what's wrong with that????

https://youtu.be/txCCYBMKdB0