Thread: The Third way? Humanistic psychology

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb The Third way? Humanistic psychology

Introduction to the Humanistic Approach

The humanistic approach in psychology developed in the 1960s and 70s in the United States as a response to the continual struggle between behavioral theorists and cognitive psychologists. The humanists brought in a new perspective, believing that the study of psychology should focus not just on the purely mechanistic aspects of cognition, nor purely on the impact of environment on behavior, but rather felt that the emphasis of psychological study should be on the particulars of human experience.
    Evaluation of the Humanistic Approach

• Humanistic psychology is the psychological approach which states that the human is the most important thing, more important than the complex, the disorder, the behavior, or the environment. It seeks to help people live better lives through practical therapeutic measures.
    • Humanistic psychology has its origins in existential philosophy. Believing that the universe is inherently meaningless, existentialists see themselves as ultimately free creatures able to define their own personally meaningful destinies.
    • Abraham Maslow attempted to explain human motivation from the standpoint that all people are looking to achieve "self-actualization". There is an entire hierarchy of needs that have to be fulfilled in order to reach that stage however.
    • Rollo May's existential psychology attempted to help people come to terms with the "meaninglessness" of life, reframing this "problem" as a profound state of individual freedom, free from the constraints of fate.
    • Carl Rogers' approach to therapy was to allow clients to direct their own recovery through the principle of "unconditional positive regard".

https://www.psychologistworld.com/is...istic-approach

Humanism

Humanism is a psychological perspective that emphasizes the study of the whole person. Humanistic psychologists look at human behavior not only through the eyes of the observer, but through the eyes of the person doing the behaving.

Sometimes the humanistic approach is called phenomenological. This means that personality is studied from the point of view of the individual’s subjective experience. For Rogers the focus of psychology is not behavior (Skinner), the unconscious (Freud), thinking (Wundt) or the human brain but how individuals perceive and interpret events. Rogers is therefore important because he redirected psychology towards the study of the self.

The humanistic approach in psychology developed as a rebellion against what some psychologists saw as the limitations of the behaviorist and psychodynamic psychology. The humanistic approach is thus often called the “third force” in psychology after psychoanalysis and behaviorism (Maslow, 1968).

Humanism rejected the assumptions of the behaviorist perspective which is characterized as deterministic, focused on reinforcement of stimulus-response behavior and heavily dependent on animal research.

Humanistic psychology also rejected the psychodynamic approach because it is also deterministic, with unconscious irrational and instinctive forces determining human thought and behavior. Both behaviorism and psychoanalysis are regarded as dehumanizing by humanistic psychologists.

Humanistic psychology expanded its influence throughout the 1970s and the 1980s. Its impact can be understood in terms of three major areas:

1) It offered a new set of values for approaching an understanding of human nature and the human condition.
    2) It offered an expanded horizon of methods of inquiry in the study of human behavior.
    3) It offered a broader range of more effective methods in the professional practice of psychotherapy.
    The History of Humanistic Psychology

* Maslow (1943) developed a hierarchical theory of human motivation.
    * Carl Rogers (1946) publishes Significant aspects of client-centered therapy (also called person centered therapy).
    * In 1957 and 1958, at the invitation of Abraham Maslow and Clark Moustakas, two meetings were held in Detroit among psychologists who were interested in founding a professional association dedicated to a more meaningful, more humanistic vision.
    * In 1962, with the sponsorship of Brandeis University, this movement was formally launched as the Association for Humanistic Psychology.
    * The first issue of the Journal of Humanistic Psychology appeared in the Spring of 1961.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/humanistic.html

At least it's more qualitative and productive than Socionics...

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I find it hideous that it had/has to be made """"humanistic"""". The pretense! This is covering up a middle age let's treat people like objects to justify our crimes levels of hubris, guess why psychology has a long history of ableism (---> asylums...) and still can't keep up. Also note that this is and was run by 100% males, connect the dots who messed up and makes it worse as of now. I like nor trust much of what is going on in the field.

Productive, yes. Qualitative, no.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    I find it hideous that it had/has to be made """"humanistic"""". The pretense! This is covering up a middle age let's treat people like objects levels of hubris, guess why psychology has a long history of ableism (---> asylums...) and still can't keep up. Also note that this is and was run by 100% males, connect the dots who messed up and makes it worse as of now. I like nor trust much of what is going on in the field.

Productive, yes. Qualitative, no.
    I don't know a lot about humanistic psychology, but ive never been rubbed the wrong way by what I see about it here and there. I'm curious what about it is objectifying?

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lump View Post
    I don't know a lot about humanistic psychology, but ive never been rubbed the wrong way by what I see about it here and there. I'm curious what about it is objectifying?
    The lack of essentially: acknowledging independent inner life, aspirations, right to integrity and harmony (take any meds they prescribe today and you will see what I mean), wishes and dreams, freedom, choice instead of inevitable therapy, opportunity to do whatever you wanna do, seeing the soul and not the symptom, transparency in all regards.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

are you saying you don't like the name or find the school itself hideous

nice synchronicity I was reading today about Kohut's self psychology which emphasizes the importance of empathy within the therapeutic approach

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kalinoche View Post
    nice synchronicity I was reading today about Kohut's self psychology which emphasizes the importance of empathy within the therapeutic approach
    makes me think of this guy I follow on twitter cuz he gives me warm fuzzies, https://twitter.com/dennistirchphd?lang=en
    founder of "The Center for Compassion Focused Therapy"

"Rather than boost self-esteem to address negative self-evaluations, we should aim to cultivate compassion for all the parts of ourselves that we push away or dislike."

@lump
    yes it is fuzzy feels.

http://www.houd.info/SelfPsychologyReview.pdf ''Self psychology was a new paradigm, removed from the topographical mode of “making the
    unconscious conscious” or the structural mode of “where id was there shall ego be.”

it only makes sense that therapy will work better if the emotionally infantile hurting,compensating aspects are soothed

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, its anti-socionics, my home.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko