Thread: Conflict, Superego, and Supervision

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Conflict, Superego, and Supervision

Can someone take the time to explain to me the differences between these three relationships? Conflict and superego especially seem very similar to me. I want to be able to differentiate these in my mind.

Halp

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of Gulenko's earlier theories (based on the interaction of temperaments) would classify superego as a monotonous and conflict as disorienting. Super ego will probably more immediate conflict because both partners operate in the same domain (either both extroverts or both introverts) while psychological pressure tends to build up in conflict relation until it errupts in open hostility.

Supervision is an asymmetrical relation, meaning the supervisor has the ability to put more pressure on the supervisee's weaknesses than the supervisee is able to reciprocate. In a conflict relation both people are equally matched. Also, supervision pairs share one ego element, so often the supervisee can appreciate the supervisor's perspectives (hopefully from a distance) while the supervisor tends to see the supervisee as remarkably talented but misguided.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sindri View Post
    One of Gulenko's earlier theories (based on the interaction of temperaments) would classify superego as a monotonous and conflict as disorienting. Super ego will probably more immediate conflict because both partners operate in the same domain (either both extroverts or both introverts) while psychological pressure tends to build up in conflict relation until it errupts in open hostility.

Supervision is an asymmetrical relation, meaning the supervisor has the ability to put more pressure on the supervisee's weaknesses than the supervisee is able to reciprocate. In a conflict relation both people are equally matched. Also, supervision pairs share one ego element, so often the supervisee can appreciate the supervisor's perspectives (hopefully from a distance) while the supervisor tends to see the supervisee as remarkably talented but misguided.
    So how do you differentiate between superego and conflict in a long-term relationship of some kind?

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprisingly, supervision rings (which include the super ego relation) share the same cognition style, but express it in very different ways.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supervision - the biggest difference is that it's asymmetric, the supervisor bugs or constricts the supervisee a lot more than the other way around.

Conflict vs. Superego: Superego partners have a similar "rhythm" and are more concerned with the same areas of life. This means that they will identify more with one another but also have more intense conflicts (since their interests are more closely linked). Conflictors more so just don't see the relevance of each other's activities, and they can occasionally form a connection using their demonstrative functions. In my experience it is easier to communicate with superegos.

The difference is pretty subtle so I don't recommend typing people based on it (and relationships vary widely anyways).

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    So how do you differentiate between superego and conflict in a long-term relationship of some kind?
    hmm, I've never actually known someone who is my conflictor, but I image it would be much much harder to live with them, due to the difference of rationality.

Also, I've heard that conflict relations can initially feel like duality due to the opposite strengths. I could not see superego being like that because it is homoverted.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's a greater possibility that you'll be travelling in the same general direction as your Superego, and perhaps share some common priorities and or goals. Although you have very different perspectives on things in general, your processing styles will seem eerily familiar, which can give you a large amount of initial comfort and or trust.
    Conflict partners are much less likely to be headed in the same direction and will likely have conflicting priorities. Processing styles will have some familiarity but the differing priorities will often frustrate the relationship. Their focus on the world would be somewhat like superego but what they deem as priority would likely be polar opposite.
    Supervisors are not usually going in the same direction as you nor do they have the same priorities but they think that you should be doing as they are doing. They have a tendency to discount your methods and goals, and try to correct you. You are usually not critical of the supervisor's goals and methods even though you would not go in that direction.....
    a.k.a. I/O

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

superego people seem lesser cute and interesting on a distance
    conflictors are so different that problems you have more rarely with them. but if you'll try to deal seriously - superego are a little easier

supervision are better. you have one same ego function to cooperate and subrevisor has strong nonvalued function which may support/control your revisor. theoretically, if subrevisor will reduce creative function expression and revisor will be not annoying with his leading - they may hold each other, without making very long psyche distance.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Can someone take the time to explain to me the differences between these three relationships? Conflict and superego especially seem very similar to me. I want to be able to differentiate these in my mind.

Halp
    superego manifests itself more in a way of mutual respect than conflict, because polrs arent really hit as much, its more like ill let u do your thing and you let me do mine, but with conflictors you get annoyed af cuz someone is retarded at ur leading function and it automatically makes u wanna correct them, hitting their polr, and likewise for u lol.
    supervision all around sucks tbh as a supervisee, theres nothing you can do to fight back, the supervisor is simply superior because he hits ur polr while coming from a side u understand, so you cannot get mad/you feel as though you are still working towards the same direction, so youre powerless to stop the supervisor as supervisee.

TIM
    IEI 4 so/sp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With conflictors I feel my interests and values aren't appreciated, and at the same time I'm pressured (difference in J/P temperament). With super-egos (SLIs for me) they just hurt my feelings , but there is a feeling of respect and even admiration with them that's not really as present with LSE for some reason... I think it's because their weaknesses are more visible to me, than they are with SLI. Both of these types can initially be very attractive.

With my supervisors, I haven't really interacted as much with them to tell you.