Thread: Is Socionics pseudoscience?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    I was talking about what is science and what is not science because that's something that I've been personally curious about, but maybe many people may not care.

Well I don't think "finding Fe in the brain" is all that far-fetched (they say that the brain is "localized"... in that specific functions of the brain are located in specific areas of the brain. But obviously that's a vast oversimplification. Another theory is that the brain has hundreds of thousands of different modules, and they all perform different things and they're all interconnected rather than specialized. So the brain is just a collection of many different modules that perform different things, and it's not exactly a coherent "one organ". That seems to make more sense to me.)...

Anyway, there's not much in this that suggest that it conforms to the "Model A" theory, so I don't see why people should keep holding onto it.
    There is an Extraverted Feeling area of the brain, the right orbitofrontal cortex, lesions to this area cause various forms of social inappropriateness without the ability to modify behavior in response to social cues, especially facial expressions.
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Lane_Friesen
    So here is an independent researcher that has managed to integrate MBTI (renamed MBNI because of trademark infringement) with neurology. The inability on your own part to find the correct fit for a theory because you lack a coherent internal model isn't an inherent weakness of the theory. Not only that but I've known about these theoretical advancements for over a decade, I only mention this because the Keirsey Temperament Sorter says that the xNTx types are 'Rationals' that care about 'Competency' and it's important that you recognize when you've taken an incompetent approach to integrating your knowledge when you take up study/research projects. You should have been grounding the concepts and patterns into factual relationships SIMULTANEOUSLY to your study of Socionics.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I really don't give two shits if socionics is psuedoscience or not, as long as there is something useful that can be learned.

Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    Do you really suppose that MBTI is any different than Socionics in a meaningful way? How?
    If you can't tell the difference between MBTI and socionics then either 1) you essentially don't know anything about socionics (and not nearly enough to criticize it) or 2) this thread may be applicable to you.
    Last edited by thehotelambush; 10-25-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    If can't tell the difference between MBTI and socionics then either 1) you essentially don't know anything about socionics (and not nearly enough to criticize it) or 2) this thread may be applicable to you.
    I second this.
    Hey, feel free to PM me with any opinions about my type

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hatchback176 View Post
    There is an Extraverted Feeling area of the brain, the right orbitofrontal cortex, lesions to this area cause various forms of social inappropriateness without the ability to modify behavior in response to social cues, especially facial expressions.
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Lane_Friesen
    So here is an independent researcher that has managed to integrate MBTI (renamed MBNI because of trademark infringement) with neurology. The inability on your own part to find the correct fit for a theory because you lack a coherent internal model isn't an inherent weakness of the theory. Not only that but I've known about these theoretical advancements for over a decade, I only mention this because the Keirsey Temperament Sorter says that the xNTx types are 'Rationals' that care about 'Competency' and it's important that you recognize when you've taken an incompetent approach to integrating your knowledge when you take up study/research projects. You should have been grounding the concepts and patterns into factual relationships SIMULTANEOUSLY to your study of Socionics.
    The OFC's existence is not really proof for the nuances of the function model of MBTI's or Socionics's.

Even studies like the ones proving that processing emotional information suppresses processing of mechanical information* and vice versa don't prove any such nuances and they never will because those are incorrect.

Some generalities are true about Jung's/MBTI's/Socionics's ideas yes and a few observations about cognition are interesting also but these models are not ok for classification of concrete things. They are only ok for observing trends of patterns of preferences.

*: Study for example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23110882 (Full text https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...hms-424462.pdf)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is largely, but that doesn't make it uninteresting or unuseful either. Not everything needs to be purely "scientific." That said, some people around here rely on this stuff like it's a religion and that is far from a balanced or healthy perspective either.

TIM
    INTp ILI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the answer is no. There has been research into the theory behind it, although mostly in Eastern Europe, and it probably is good enough. I haven't really checked any of their research though.
    If I stop responding or posting, I've probably taken a break from posting stuff. This really taxes me for whatever reason. Said break could last anywhere from a month to a year. I will likely be back, as socionics is one of my interests. If I'm not on here, you can contact me on steam.

I got a new computer, so I'll not type on mobile as much any more.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's less pseudo-scientific than race realism.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

It is 100% real & objective. We just don't have the tools to discover it fully enough yet.

Of course just because it's real doesn't mean people need to nerdily obsess about it 24/7 or anything. I mean feces is also real, do you talk about it all day too?

Would a zombie eat your head-fix? ApeironStella's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII-Ne 9w15x sp/so
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That doesn't mean it is not an area worthy of research/time spent thinking about it or making observations related to it, though. Especially if it is a useful tool for people.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if the line blurs - but no, I don't care about calling socionics as science, because in the layman term, no one will buy that, and rightly so.

For talking, it's an interesting subject to discuss, and it sometimes works: but dangerous too, I've told people about it who think it does more than what it really can do.

For me, socionics is useful for,

explaining and locating my ideal mate (it seems to bear out from my experiments)
    some traits of people (eg is that person really depressed or are they the negative type of ILI)
    some awarenesses and coping mechs for weak areas (good advices by Gulenko on managing weaker function).

TIM
    INTp ILI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No.
    If I stop responding or posting, I've probably taken a break from posting stuff. This really taxes me for whatever reason. Said break could last anywhere from a month to a year. I will likely be back, as socionics is one of my interests. If I'm not on here, you can contact me on steam.

I got a new computer, so I'll not type on mobile as much any more.

TIM
    LII Ne 593 so/sx
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything that can't be empirically observed or logically inferred from observation fails to meet the criteria for science. This includes a good chunk of psychology, parts of the softer "sciences", and the cognitive portion of typology.

For this reason, I don't think socionics is ever going to satisfy all of the criteria needed to be a science.

The map is not the territory. However, the map still has its uses.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” ― Bruce Lee

TIM
    IEE 3w4
    Mentioned
    592 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Should we start embracing that we actually use magic? Would be interesting for sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12