Thread: Alpha Quadrant Types in Anime

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Alpha Quadrant Types in Anime

The Wind Rises. Jiro is LII.

Set mostly during the 1930s and loosely based on the story of Jiro Horikoshi, an aeronautical engineer and designer of the Mitsubishi Zero fighter. The story tackles the theme of wanting to create in spite of the potentially destructive uses of that creation. The Mitsubishi Zero was a master-stroke of engineering innovation, combining long-range and manoeuvrability, and became legendary as one of the most lethal fighters of World War Two.

Jiro is stoic, lucid, and unconventional and is IMO a poster-boy for LII. His personal life was, however, highly fictionalized:

Jiro's real wife didn't actually die from tuberculosis.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grave of the Fireflies. Seita is ESE (I think).

Two young children try to survive on their own during the American bombing of Japan in World War Two. I'm not terribly confident of his type, but Seita really embodies the role of a caretaker, and could easily be characterized as being highly trusting, overly sacrificing, and naively optimistic. I'm avoiding typing his younger sister since it's probably a bad idea to type toddlers.

This is definitively the saddest film I have ever seen, which is all the more impressive seeing as how it's a cartoon. It doesn't pull any punches in confronting you with the realities of being a civilian inside a war zone. It's such a heavy film that it almost made me cry; me --- a soulless Fi PoLR. Watch it until the end if you want to become a better person.
    Last edited by xerx; 10-14-2017 at 08:28 AM.

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Seita seemed Fi-valuing but I'll have to re-watch it before I type him any further. Which will be difficult, because the first time I watched Grave of the Fireflies, I was with my younger sister, and you can probably imagine how that turned out. It's a fantastic film, though. Probably one of Ghibli's best.

I think Zoë Hange from Attack on Titan is ILE.

Hange is a quirky researcher with an insatiable curiosity for the inner-workings of the "monsters" her team captures. But, unlike her teammates, she doesn't place negative value judgments on them. Nor does she fear them. And it's due to this lack of judgment and fear that she was able to yield an impressive amount of information and research. An energetic free-wheeling thinker with peculiar research methods. Chatterbox. There's even a scene where she keeps the protagonist up all night, enthusiastically relaying to him all the research she's done. Driven by knowledge and a desire to benefit humanity at large. Even if it comes at the expense of her own life. Observant, cunning, and witty, and yet incredibly caring. Thrives under pressure.

Last edited by wasp; 10-18-2017 at 12:56 AM.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going guess Lain. Hilariously exaggerated though. Or not hillarious. Depends on your perspective. Also, I could be wrong. If not, probably Gamma. One of the two, I don't know.

Serial Experiments Lain is the anime.

IMG_0576.JPG
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wasp View Post
    Seita seemed Fi-valuing but I'll have to re-watch it before I type him any further.
    Hm; I never considered Fi for him.

Do you not think that he could be a caregiver? He's maybe probably definitely ethical imo.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grave of the fireflies had me balling like a baby. Legit ugly crying.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Hm; I never considered Fi for him.

Do you not think that he could be a caregiver? He's maybe probably definitely ethical imo.
    Definitely ethical. But Ej is a little too turbulent. He seemed introverted. Probably Ij > Ip. He does strike me as a caregiver, in the colloquial sense of the term, but ESI would be my tentative typing. EII as a close second. If he's a caregiver in socionics terms, then SLI would be plausible. But that reminds me more of Katniss Everdeen from THG. He's more calm and steady, at least on the surface. His sister struck me as the idealistic one that kept 'em going.

It's been so long since I've seen Grave of the Fireflies that it's hard to assign a definitive type to Seita. I'll re-watch it and give it another go, though.
    Last edited by wasp; 10-19-2017 at 02:56 AM. Reason: re-framing post so it makes more sense