Thread: SLEs/ESTps and depression episodes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SLEs/ESTps and depression episodes

I think my ESTP friend is going through a depressive episode . Basically he's become quiet and withdrawn, says that he's begun drinking alone, and doesn't want to do much more than "stick fight" (a type of martial arts which consists of bruising and beating the crap out of one another with wooden sticks). I also asked him how he was doing and he simply said "surviving." Granted we're not close friends, so there probably isn't much I can do, but if there is, what can I do? Based on what I know about ESTPs, they're very self-reliant and reluctant to accept help, so even if I could do something I don't think he'd want me to.
    My questions are these: do ESTPs often find themselves experiencing depression? Are ESTPs usually good at pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and getting out of depressive episodes like this? I've always thought so, but maybe my friend is a different story.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever my husband goes through a depressive episode, he becomes desctructive (hissy-fit), but after a few days he'll talk it out with someone and feel better.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try bringing up future goals and aspirations... if he can get excited about a goal there's hope

if it looks like he's actually in danger, it may be a good idea to talk to someone closer to him. medication *could* help him a lot. if he starts taking an SSRI though it's very important for people to watch him carefully.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Creepy-aurora_faerie

it sux

try bringing up future goals and aspirations... if he can get excited about a goal there's hope

lol yeah

oh and if that doesn't work, and he just gets all "whoa is me"...i just pretend to get mad (when im normally just sort of annoyed/concerned") and storm away, and then he'll come out later and try to make me smile

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it sounds like uninspired is talking about clinical depression, not a depressed mood

Herzy's idea is good... get him moving around outside... If he's ESTp and isn't willing to do that, there's a big problem and he should get professional help.
    SEE

Creepy-aurora_faerie

the estp's i know are very stubborn about professional help

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol I can believe it!
    SEE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aurora_faerie
    the estp's i know are very stubborn about professional help
    ditto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be positive around him. Don't let him drink alone. Bring him out, get girls, walk around. New ideas. Anything exciting.
    INFP

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    Whenever my husband goes through a depressive episode, he becomes desctructive (hissy-fit), but after a few days he'll talk it out with someone and feel better.
    Yeah. He'll get out of it alone. You shouldn't try to talk to him about that, because he will react very very sternly. Wait for him to come out of it, it won't take much really. The only thing that makes me "depressed" (so-to-speak) is anxiety due to bad relationships.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    Yeah. He'll get out of it alone. You shouldn't try to talk to him about that, because he will react very very sternly. Wait for him to come out of it, it won't take much really. The only thing that makes me "depressed" (so-to-speak) is anxiety due to bad relationships.
    That seems to be what makes him depressed too, well that and when something big doesn't go his way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Uninspired: How long has this depressive episode been going on? Have you managed to get any info on what it is that caused him to become depressed?

Creepy-aurora_faerie

forgot a good one

have sex with them

or if you are female and he is male, show him boobies, that works for me

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aurora_faerie
    forgot a good one

have sex with them

or if you are female and he is male, show him boobies, that works for me
    Unless he's an ass man, but yeah that does work lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just figured out why he's so vulnerable to depression - he's ESFP (se-subtype) instead of ESTP. I don't know how I could have been so oblivious. I think he's depressed because he's had several relationships that haven't worked out. I've heard ESFPs are very relationship-oriented, so maybe he's waiting for that ideal, magical romance that will drown his sorrows and bring him the ecstasy he seeks. Whatever the problem is, though, I think he'll get through it. He seems fairly resilient.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done uninspired. That makes some sense i think

Take him out, invite him to parties. Make him realise that many of his best qualties come out when hes around others.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Creepy-aurora_faerie

Mine is pretty relationship oriented yes, and I'm glad you figured it out, now he just needs to stop being sad !!!!!!!!!!!!

But yeah, if it seems like any of his friendships are out of wack he freak out, and when Im not accessible he gets really really down too. =/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uninspired
    Whatever the problem is, though, I think he'll get through it. He seems fairly resilient.
    I agree, people are often too quick nowadays to jump to or suggest the use of drugs or other such means to drown out a problem when all they really needed to do was deal with their emotions. It'll take awhile but I'm sure your friend will be fine

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since estp's hidden agenda's is to be loved, they would get depressed and down if the people around them don't show love and admiration and interest and so forth.
    INFP

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call him up with ideas about things to do. Get him moving and exercising.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...