Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are intuitive children more likely to be afraid of the dark?

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default are intuitive children more likely to be afraid of the dark?

since their imagination is naturally more active and generative.
    I remember that until I was about 12 I always slept with lights on and used to imagine horrible scenarios if I needed to go to the bathroom or if I wanted to turn to the wall next to my bed and my back to the rest of the room.

it was like that until one day I was reading Dorling Kindersley's encyclopedia for children (I used to read encyclopedias from start to end when I was young) and came upon the topic of light and why it gets dark and afterwards any time that I was scared, I would think of why it is dark and not be afraid anymore.

funny the other day I read a quote of Elon musk he has said: “When I was a little kid I was really afraid of the dark, but then I eventually came to understand that darkness is really just the absence of photons…well that’s really silly to be afraid of a lack of photons.”
    and that is exactly what happened to me as well.

it should be a combination of Ne and Ni. Ne generating the monsters and Ni predicting what they will do to you or what will happen if you put your feet on the ground etc

any thoughts on this?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Children? I am still afraid of the dark which is ironic I know, all things considered. In total darkness I lose my sense of control. I still sleep with a light or tv on. I may post more later but I am falling asleep as I write this, with the lights on of course.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno but that you conceive of fear of the dark in such an interesting way and in the form of a short story is a sign of Ni and the way you broke down your fear is a sign of Te
    I was very afraid of the dark if i'd read a scary story or seen a scary movie beforehand

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I associate intuition with the "unknown"
    if one lives in a state of perpetual uncertainty,
    then with that comes a natural comfort with the unknown.
    (which tends to be the most debilitating aspect of darkness)
    as a rule, intuitives exist outside present reality.
    instead they exist on one of two planes: space or time.
    so they're more likely to fear their own "dark" mental imagery,
    remaining relatively unaffected by darkness itself,
    since the detached nature of intuition suggests they aren't aware of it in the first place.

I think a fear of the dark is merely a projection of your mindset on your environment, which is exacerbated by depression, even more so if you willingly expose yourself to horror media and/or literature. it feeds your brain with negativity which in turn projects that negativity onto your environment. it's probably safest to assume that those who fear the dark fear their own thoughts, maybe even themselves, because, I mean, it's just you in a dark room.

tl;dr STOP WATCHING SAW
    Last edited by wasp; 09-15-2017 at 03:59 AM.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In my case, no not really.
    Reason is a whore.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I suppose this correlates with general anxiety. It may depend on types, but not only them.
    S types have lesser imagination but darkness means lesser predictability, so to stay sure in it is harder.

As I child I did not like to sleep in the darkness, night lamp helped. Even today I may awake during the nigh with a bad mood and to easier sleep again I switch on a TV with a timer. I may switch it off manually after get calmed or just fall asleep.
    Also when I'm in some psychic states, or awake in a bad mood the furniture near may click, that annoys and makes harder to calm again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Ne generating the monsters
    irrational images is Ni

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think there are lot f factors.
    #1 Suggestibility

#2 Afraid of unknown

Probably something else.

I have gotten that through #1 as a child.

I tend to be so backwards that I think darkness seems to generate some sort of false calmness... until you start to hear something.
    Anyways, I have never been the bravest kid to accept common stuff. I was actually like that ILE kid from descriptions who would start to scream during haircuts. OTOH I scare people with my ways: "Not so close to the cliff!" and I look: Oh!.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was young I wouldn't get out of bed or even let any part of me reach over the edge because of the monsters that would pull me down and .... no way was that going to let that happen.

It was night, even with a light on the monsters were there, but in the daytime they were not there.

My door would be shut but I could feel it creeping open, see it even, though it wasn't opening at all.

Things in the closet, yes, but not as threatening. I also knew that these things weren't real, but nighttime made them appear anyhow.

I didn't keep all these fears as I got older, no more monsters under and in things, but I had a pervasive feeling of at night there could have been something behind me, especially when ascending stairs, even as an adult, but sometime in my mid-30's I lost all of that night fear. I felt weird and scared going outside at night alone before that, and since then I can go outside in the middle of the night in my yard and it's peaceful. Walking up the stairs with all the lights off is also fine.

I have liked mysteries, psychological thrillers, that kind of media did and didn't fuel my night fears. I don't know exactly what my pivotal point was, just one day I loved the night even more than I had before (with night fears, but loved the night, night owl my whole life)

Anxiety, I get that if some stranger comes to my front door. But night anxiety, no, my fear was different.

I see my fear connected to Fe/Fi and my mid-30's had me with my dual for 10+ years, improved because of him I do suppose. My Ni/Ne imagines anything all along, just the "fear" would feed it with dark misery.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wasp View Post
    I associate intuition with the "unknown"
    if one lives in a state of perpetual uncertainty,
    then with that comes a natural comfort with the unknown.
    (which tends to be the most debilitating aspect of darkness)
    as a rule, intuitives exist outside present reality.
    instead they exist on one of two planes: space or time.
    so they're more likely to fear their own "dark" mental imagery,
    remaining relatively unaffected by darkness itself,
    since the detached nature of intuition suggests they aren't aware of it in the first place.

I think a fear of the dark is merely a projection of your mindset on your environment, which is exacerbated by depression, even more so if you willingly expose yourself to horror media and/or literature. it feeds your brain with negativity which in turn projects that negativity onto your environment. it's probably safest to assume that those who fear the dark fear their own thoughts, maybe even themselves, because, I mean, it's just you in a dark room.

tl;dr STOP WATCHING SAW
    this was brilliant

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darkness is a fundamental psychic experience as old as life itself.

Its connected to the unconscious.

In a way one could say that fear of the dark is rational, because the unconscious is dangerous.

When the night falls the mood changes, the atmosphere around you. Everything becomes a little stranger.

The wind blowing in the trees sounds a lot different at night.

If one actually could focus on the experience itself, and not take it for granted or rationalize it, one understands how powerful the dark is.

I was always afraid of the dark as a kid.

Interesting observation: When I am in love with someone my fear of the darkness disappears.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Interesting observation: When I am in love with someone my fear of the darkness disappears.
    me too

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

"We owe more to our illusions than to our knowledge”

― Lafcadio Hearn

There are many articles on psychic/intuitive/gifted/hsp and even autistic kids having a fear of the dark (monsters, ghosts etc.) and how to help them. Regardless of what the child is labeled it is usually very similar in experience. I have had friends call me to ask how to deal with their kid's fears of the dark because they didn't know how to handle them and they knew my story. I don't accuse kids of making things up, out of frustration, which is about where the parents were when they called me. I know it is real to most of them.

The most imaginative often have the greatest fear of the dark due to not feeling as grounded in the physical body, or world, so things like a blanket brushing against their foot, in the night, can be frightening because their little minds are not comfortable with sensations yet and the world is still new. Most grow out of it. Adults I have talked to over the years who claim to have never feared the dark have also said they have poor intuition, and lacked imagination as children, but this is more anecdotal than anything.

My fears were due to several factors. One being, dead people (spirits) would bother me in the dark and my ESI aunt didn't believe me (until she was dying and saw them for herself). She tried to make me face the fears by forcing me go down to the dark basement and locking the door behind me. She also did not allow me to have a night light, even when I was very young. She allowed her own children to have night lights for some reason. Guess she didn't want to go through the screaming in the night again with her own kids.

I had nightmares, vivid dreams and feelings of being touched or held down in the dark. I have had a tendency to pareidolia which means I saw faces emerge out of patterns on walls, wood, blankets, curtains... just about anything with a pattern or ripples. I heard people talk to me and call my name a lot as a child. These are some of the issues I dealt with, pretty much alone, due to lack of understanding. I did have intuitive friends (still do) who related much more than my friends who were sensors and firmly rooted in the bodies. Some logical types just wanted to analyze me, and the experiences, like little Freuds. lol These were mostly the kids, not the adults (I kept a lot to myself) but I had similar issues when I attempted to talk to the adults. IEE and IEI adults were the easiest to talk about this stuff with. IEE because of open mindedness I'm sure. They were the ones to help think up solutions and made it more silly than scary.

I do not fear the dark, like I did when I was a child, so fear is the wrong word but there is something about total darkness that is disconcerting when a "spirit" decides to get your attention. I prefer having some light so I can see what I am dealing with when I tell it to go away. I feel more in control when I can see what is saying my name, or trying to touch me, to get my attention. This talking to the dead thing runs in my family. My mom (LSI) and my great grandmother also had this thing with the dead.

People are skeptical but if you never experienced it I can't blame you. I am still a bit skeptical of other people's experiences because I only have my own to compare them to. If anyone is game, I can try to send them to you whenever they bother me. They haven't in awhile. It is more of an irritation than a fear. I have been told I had PTSD due to the Christianity stuff enforced by a zealot, which I acknowledge made things worse. I am also skeptical of that diagnosis but yeah I had some crazy things happen in my childhood.

Anyway I started doing seances at a young age which freaked out some of my friends and made some of their parents (Christians) upset. They weren't allowed to hang out with me anymore. I started seriously studying the occult when I was about 11 or 12. I jumped right in with demonology since I was terrorized by above mentioned aunt with threats of hell and demons. I wanted to know for myself what was going on with me and what I was dealing with. I have also been haunted for most of my life. I used to think it was the homes I lived in but it was most likely me. Some of you might remember I was reading Shakespeare very young too so it was probably an influence too. Once I faced the fear of demons and hell I was no longer tortured by it.

I see I got a lot of votes for most spiritual on the forum but I am not sure that is the fitting term for what I am. I feel others here would be more deserving of that title but maybe they are more religious than spiritual. I have more of symbiotic relationship with the supernatural. I am not a spiritual seeker looking to attain inner peace through a doctrine, guru or deity to follow. I believe in an inner authority. I would rather express myself in the middle of chaos than be at peace with a superficial sense of spirituality. I find most New Age stuff fluffy since it is the darkness that gives depth. What I find "spiritual" others probably would not, like sex. That is why I cannot find solace in any god or religion. Only in my own power to discern information that I perceive from multiple dimensions of reality, both seen and unseen. It is generated within my consciousness and sometimes experienced as a physical manifestation. IOW, I don't need any ghostbusters. Just some sense of control.

When you are prone to vivid dreams (lots), and nightmares (fewer now), waking to a dark room, alone, can really be disconcerting. Especially if that line between the dream and waking state is already thin.

Scientists say that the fear of the dark is an evolutionary mechanism, passed down to us from our ancestors who were regularly attacked by nocturnal predators. As we grow up, it takes time for our brains to realize that our fears are unfounded. Psychologists believe that 50% of children between the ages of 2 and 7 are afraid of the dark. And left untreated, that fear can continue on into adulthood: Among grown-ups, 8% of women and 3% of men are scared of the dark, which often leads to insomnia.

Most parents don’t take their children’s fears of darkness seriously. If they’re particularly annoyed that their toddler is crawling into bed with them every night, they might buy them a nightlight, which does not help children develop the coping mechanisms to survive with the light off altogether. The most common way adults tackle kids’ fears is to try to rationalize with them, telling them there’s nothing to worry about.

“Rationalizing with children between the ages of 2 and 7 does not work,” says Davide Russo, who cofounded Glow Away with his business partner, Charlotte Cramer. “Telling them that their fears are not real is not helpful, because, to that child, those fears are everything.”

https://www.fastcompany.com/3042892/...p-kids-conquer
    “The poet or the story-teller who cannot give the reader a little ghostly pleasure at times never can be either a really great writer or a great thinker.”

― Lafcadio Hearn

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I was definitely afraid of the dark as a child, but I slowly grew out of it. It was the fear of the unknown that kept me afraid. Basically, what was there that I could not see and my imagination ran wild of what could be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post

"We owe more to our illusions than to our knowledge”

― Lafcadio Hearn

There are many articles on psychic/intuitive/gifted/hsp and even autistic kids having a fear of the dark (monsters, ghosts etc.) and how to help them. Regardless of what the child is labeled it is usually very similar in experience. I have had friends call me to ask how to deal with their kid's fears of the dark because they didn't know how to handle them and they knew my story. I don't accuse kids of making things up, out of frustration, which is about where the parents were when they called me. I know it is real to most of them.

The most imaginative often have the greatest fear of the dark due to not feeling as grounded in the physical body, or world, so things like a blanket brushing against their foot, in the night, can be frightening because their little minds are not comfortable with sensations yet and the world is still new. Most grow out of it. Adults I have talked to over the years who claim to have never feared the dark have also said they have poor intuition, and lacked imagination as children, but this is more anecdotal than anything.

My fears were due to several factors. One being, dead people (spirits) would bother me in the dark and my ESI aunt didn't believe me (until she was dying and saw them for herself). She tried to make me face the fears by forcing me go down to the dark basement and locking the door behind me. She also did not allow me to have a night light, even when I was very young. She allowed her own children to have night lights for some reason. Guess she didn't want to go through the screaming in the night again with her own kids.

I had nightmares, vivid dreams and feelings of being touched or held down in the dark. I have had a tendency to pareidolia which means I saw faces emerge out of patterns on walls, wood, blankets, curtains... just about anything with a pattern or ripples. I heard people talk to me and call my name a lot as a child. These are some of the issues I dealt with, pretty much alone, due to lack of understanding. I did have intuitive friends (still do) who related much more than my friends who were sensors and firmly rooted in the bodies. Some logical types just wanted to analyze me, and the experiences, like little Freuds. lol These were mostly the kids, not the adults (I kept a lot to myself) but I had similar issues when I attempted to talk to the adults. IEE and IEI adults were the easiest to talk about this stuff with. IEE because of open mindedness I'm sure. They were the ones to help think up solutions and made it more silly than scary.

I do not fear the dark, like I did when I was a child, so fear is the wrong word but there is something about total darkness that is disconcerting when a "spirit" decides to get your attention. I prefer having some light so I can see what I am dealing with when I tell it to go away. I feel more in control when I can see what is saying my name, or trying to touch me, to get my attention. This talking to the dead thing runs in my family. My mom (LSI) and my great grandmother also had this thing with the dead.

People are skeptical but if you never experienced it I can't blame you. I am still a bit skeptical of other people's experiences because I only have my own to compare them to. If anyone is game, I can try to send them to you whenever they bother me. They haven't in awhile. It is more of an irritation than a fear. I have been told I had PTSD due to the Christianity stuff enforced by a zealot, which I acknowledge made things worse. I am also skeptical of that diagnosis but yeah I had some crazy things happen in my childhood.

Anyway I started doing seances at a young age which freaked out some of my friends and made some of their parents (Christians) upset. They weren't allowed to hang out with me anymore. I started seriously studying the occult when I was about 11 or 12. I jumped right in with demonology since I was terrorized by above mentioned aunt with threats of hell and demons. I wanted to know for myself what was going on with me and what I was dealing with. I have also been haunted for most of my life. I used to think it was the homes I lived in but it was most likely me. Some of you might remember I was reading Shakespeare very young too so it was probably an influence too. Once I faced the fear of demons and hell I was no longer tortured by it.

I see I got a lot of votes for most spiritual on the forum but I am not sure that is the fitting term for what I am. I feel others here would be more deserving of that title but maybe they are more religious than spiritual. I have more of symbiotic relationship with the supernatural. I am not a spiritual seeker looking to attain inner peace through a doctrine, guru or deity to follow. I believe in an inner authority. I would rather express myself in the middle of chaos than be at peace with a superficial sense of spirituality. I find most New Age stuff fluffy since it is the darkness that gives depth. What I find "spiritual" others probably would not, like sex. That is why I cannot find solace in any god or religion. Only in my own power to discern information that I perceive from multiple dimensions of reality, both seen and unseen. It is generated within my consciousness and sometimes experienced as a physical manifestation. IOW, I don't need any ghostbusters. Just some sense of control.

When you are prone to vivid dreams (lots), and nightmares (fewer now), waking to a dark room, alone, can really be disconcerting. Especially if that line between the dream and waking state is already thin.

“The poet or the story-teller who cannot give the reader a little ghostly pleasure at times never can be either a really great writer or a great thinker.”

― Lafcadio Hearn

True spirituality doesn't involve religion IMO. Religion is like a spiritual filter so to speak, it limits you from experiencing complete spirituality. I am not saying that religious people aren't spiritual, they certainly are, but their religious belief can only take them so far and then they hit a wall where only leaving religion will get them past it.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just because we can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there!
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same!

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    Basically, what was there that I could not see and my imagination ran wild of what could be there.
    Interesting, my EII sister's room had trees outside of it that would make shadows on the wall through the window, and her basic fear was that she saw those shadows as different things, usually animals like wolves etc. so that is Ne right? to guess what can potentially be there when you can't see.
    while my fear wasn't such things. if I knew a tree is making the shadow I wouldn't be afraid of the shadows. for me it was a very vivid image of a monster, I didn't imagine what it looked like but I knew that it is strong and can grab my feet or tie my hands etc, I knew what it could do.
    but my SLI sister wasn't afraid of the dark. she slept all day and all night and somehow was top student!

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I was very afraid of the dark if i'd read a scary story or seen a scary movie beforehand
    I think almost all people remain anxious after being made anxious, I watched "the conjuring" not long ago, because an ILE acquaintance suggested, was in a horrible mood for a week.
    but the fear of the dark without any reason is what makes me wonder if it can be related to intuition. maybe even Ne or Ni painful people would be affected by it as well.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Aylen: dealing with spirits quite literally makes you spiritual. And my reaction to this "If anyone is game, I can try to send them to you whenever they bother me." was NO! No! Gahh, NO! Keep those things away from me! lol. One thing I'm unabashedly chicken about is messing with anything in the spirit realm.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also I remember what I would think of was: why would the monster choose me? there are millions of other children out there and I'm no different so why would it come here every night? and that would also calm me.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

When I was young, I was especially fearful of being tormented by mummies in the darkness. I eventually got round it after knocking on the brick wall and declaring to myself that nothing could get through that, and if there is such a thing as the animate dead, they are likely to be less of a threat than the living. This conclusion didn't quite eradicate my fear of the dark however. I think as an adult, I fear my own terrible thoughts that dwell in the dark night of the soul more than any external threat. People who are blind are supposed to suffer more from nightmares than those who have sight, especially those who were born that way (I consider this one of the convincing signs that no omnipotent, omnibenovolent deity exists).

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

My eyesight is bad in the dark so yes, my mind creates moving images out of the jumbled static which I could believe was anything really... something grabbing at me, something staring at me, whatever.

I also always had trouble sleeping after hearing scary bedtime stories or seeing disturbing visuals or sounds.

I was afraid of 90% of the story books in the Leap Pad I had as a kid, for god's sake. The Bible, Monster's Inc., Nemo... they all scared the fuck outta me.

There was this one scene in my Monster Inc. Leap pad storybook where I would run to be with my family, and then come back when it finished playing. It scared me more than any horror game or movie nowadays.

I don't remember exactly but here's a music sample from that same book that would have had me shitting myself at that age...

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My earliest memory of being afraid of the dark was when I was 3-4 yrs old. My mom thought I was asleep, came in, turned out the light, and closed the door. As soon as the room was pitch black, monsters appeared everywhere. They were translucent, slightly orange tinged, ogre looking bastards. I looked up and one was jumping on my bed, so I hid under the covers. I was really frightened.

Throughout life, I was afraid of ghosts or demons mainly, like a feeling in the dark that something else was there. Don't look too deeply into the night, for you never know what you might find. Sleep with your feet tucked in and never let them hang bare over the end of the bed! There were rooms that would give me the chills and when I went up the stairs at night, in the dark, it felt like something was following me, so I would run up them.

At some point this fear just began to dissipate. I could enter completely dark rooms and not be afraid of ghosts. If you don't think of them, they have no control over your mind. Eventually, I stopped believing they existed. I can't even pretend they are real anymore. Ghost horror movies don't even frighten me anymore, although they used to send shivers up my spine. I do not believe in the supernatural, like ghosts, spirits, demons, angels, etc, and this non belief makes me so much less afraid of things in life, and certainly less afraid of the dark. If anything, I have more afraid of what my mind can conjure up than anything actually threatening.

Everyone is probably afraid of the dark, the unknown, to some extent.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lately I've been walking in dark forest paths in the middle of night. Weird hobby, I think. If I was far away from human inhabitant, I might get scared.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I dont think this is related at all to intuition or sensing. If anything sensors should be more afraid cuz their primary way of sensing (seeing) is cut off?

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Early in my life there was one isolated incident, but since I can guide/feed what I imagine to at least some degree even if I drift off into unknown territory regularly, I wasn't and am not anxious.

Since I came to know that the dark produces sleep hormones which make you doze off quickly anyway, it's not an issue anymore. The vicious cycle is broken that way: There simply is no time to imagine something anxious even if it's totally dark, I already am asleep after 10 minutes or so. It's the principle of embracing your fear and realizing you benefit from it, surprisingly. When you push the fear of the dark away, it only intensifies and you get paranoid to have light - which won't make you sleep [biologically]! Which causes more imaginations while you wait.

I used to imagine that figures from my usual dreams would show up at the end of my bed in real life, since I dreamt they would. I think that was the source, until my dreaming style changed somehow, so I would only dream about real people. No nightmares in the subconscious, no nightmares when I rest at night. Oddly enough, I can't sleep at a friend's house for instance, with people around (And different pillows/mattresses/blankets/temperatures/room noises, can't forget those.) It's all too unusual and out of my comfort zone, that's the irony.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    I dont think this is related at all to intuition or sensing. If anything sensors should be more afraid cuz their primary way of sensing (seeing) is cut off?
    Paradox

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    Lately I've been walking in dark forest paths in the middle of night. Weird hobby, I think. If I was far away from human inhabitant, I might get scared.
    It sounds like a nice pastime to me though! I have the opposite view, I would have no fear to be far away from civilization and its activity. Could be a forest, the mountains, anything. Humans are more dangerous than nature: they harm other humans and nature alike claiming to be on top of the chain. Even the wildest animals are afraid. Even if there was a Tiger/Tigress where I walked I would not be concerned when I follow a certain conduct and leave him/her alone. I likely would be too oblivious, too And the greatest danger is likely food poisoning or an infection anyways since the body is in foreign territory it is not adapted to. But anyway, if I walk the forest fellow humans should mind their own business, being alone is no problem, you can enjoy the silence & air.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    It sounds like a nice pastime to me though! I have the opposite view, I would have no fear to be far away from civilization and its activity. Could be a forest, the mountains, anything. Humans are more dangerous than nature: they harm other humans and nature alike claiming to be on top of the chain. Even the wildest animals are afraid. Even if there was a Tiger/Tigress where I walked I would not be concerned when I follow a certain conduct and leave him/her alone. I likely would be too oblivious, too And the greatest danger is likely food poisoning or an infection anyways since the body is in foreign territory it is not adapted to. But anyway, if I walk the forest fellow humans should mind their own business, being alone is no problem, you can enjoy the silence & air.
    There are quite a few different animals out where I live. Once on a walk with my dog, a wolf passed behind us, very close and then leapt over a fence and was gone. It was downwind from us and behind us so my dog never even knew it was there. And sometimes the coyotes are so loud and close to my house it's eerie, but I've never felt afraid. I've sometimes sat in the dark on my front porch and just listened to them sing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

my ESI aunt didn't believe me (until she was dying and saw them for herself). She tried to make me face the fears by forcing me go down to the dark basement and locking the door behind me.
    This seems more of beta style. ESI are kind people. They may force you to be "good", but to throw in a water to teach sweaming - is not like they do.

> What I find "spiritual" others probably would not, like sex.

Experience with functions immersed to unconsciousness is often felt as spiritual.
    In some sense sex is such as it's a way of concentration on other human. What allows to feel the human "deeper" and stronger to unite with his/her soul. Probably for anything in S region can be found spiritual (N) aspect, as 2 dichotomy functions are sides of one.

> That is why I cannot find solace in any god or religion. Only in my own power to discern information that I perceive from multiple dimensions of reality

As you get power from meal, you get it from "spiritual" sources. You may think God as one of them. When you feel hunger/sick - you seek for food and meds, similarly if you'll need "spiritual" help or other - you may ask it at him and to get, taking into account his main traits (mentioned in "IR test" theme). Your unconsciousness has contact with him anyway, the difference would be only for your consciousness. His nature exists in you like genes of your ancestors affect on your life. You may don't believe in your ancestors, don't think about them, feel anything to them - but those genes make you, make how you think, feel, behave - you are their child. But ancestors are gone (partly as I suspect you may contact with them, like with your descendants or other people), while God exists eternally, being same in all times. You don't need to worship, visit churches, read "holly" books, - these are just relations between Parent and Child.
    You have religion as you have believes. In what you see, feel. Similarly you may see and feel the God, if you'll want.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    In some sense sex is such as it's a way of concentration on other human. What allows to feel the human "deeper" and stronger to unite with his/her soul.
    what is your TIM?
    the same thing you said here, I was told by an ESI, that sex is a way for him to know human soul better, to which I responded with doubt and said he is looking for moral justification and asked how can one know about another person's soul with a one night stand? he said it is a long story.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Children? I am still afraid of the dark which is ironic I know, all things considered. In total darkness I lose my sense of control. I still sleep with a light or tv on. I may post more later but I am falling asleep as I write this, with the lights on of course.
    Same! I ussually fall asleep watching a TV show.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    This seems more of beta style. ESI are kind people. They may force you to be "good", but to throw in a water to teach sweaming - is not like they do.

I was not going to write more about my aunt here as I have already mentioned her before but since you brought it up... You have to stop thinking that Fi is some kind of a universally "kind" element. Kindness comes from other factors. Fi does not exist in a vacuum. It is introverted feeling and the outward manifestation is not just meek and kind. It's like you only pay attention to the base function which seems very superficial and will set you up for disappointment later. I guess you have to believe this if you are going to end up with an ESI now.

People are very complex and experiences help shape them. She was not all bad. She was always trying to help people and she was a nurse. I came into her life and took some of my uncle's attention away from her but I wasn't her child. They were married many years and lived all alone before we came into her life. My uncle is my mom's brother so she had no blood relation to me. She resented us some and we are the reason she decided to have children with my uncle, out of jealousy.

She never wanted kids because of her childhood. My aunt had a lot of problems and was abused as a child by just about everyone she came into contact with. She trusted no man, but my uncle (EII), and was raised as a foster child by a backwoods preacher, and his wife, after her mother died. They lived kind of isolated and had 15+ other foster children, some of which had some mental health and aggression problems they took out on her.

She didn't know any other way and thought she was doing the right thing. She told me all this before she died. She also apologized and asked for forgiveness from me. I was no longer mad at her and was over it so I told her I didn't hate her, I loved her. That doesn't mean I won't tell the truth as I lived it. I don't think she cares anymore, what I say, since she is gone. A lot of stuff came out about her after her death when my cousin looked into her life. Things that confused us all. I could give the other version where she taught me many things that I may have never learned without her. I think she had a sadistic streak because of what she went through. She wasn't born that way. She did nothing to us that wasn't done to her so she thought she was justified since she was convinced she would go to hell and didn't want us to go there. Her intentions were good, I suppose, even though her methods were warped.

Fi as Leading Function

The individual sees reality primarily through static personal ethics and stable interpersonal bonds between individuals, including himself, where the status of such interpersonal bonds is determined by his personal ethics. The individual is very confident in evaluating the ethical or moral qualities, and their consistency, of other people. This makes the individual seem "judgemental" or "self-righteous" to people less so inclined. If he has difficulty in deciding the status of a personal relationship, he will take action to try to reach a conclusion but if that continues to elude him, he will regard the relationship as not worth it. His own sense of constancy in personal ethics and in his relationships with others is a very strong factor in his sense of self-worth. Fi in this position implies the ability to almost instantly recognize whether someone is a friend or an enemy, whether they are demonstrating good will or ill will, and whether they are drawn to or repelled by the individual.

> What I find "spiritual" others probably would not, like sex.

Experience with functions immersed to unconsciousness is often felt as spiritual.
    In some sense sex is such as it's a way of concentration on other human. What allows to feel the human "deeper" and stronger to unite with his/her soul. Probably for anything in S region can be found spiritual (N) aspect, as 2 dichotomy functions are sides of one.

> That is why I cannot find solace in any god or religion. Only in my own power to discern information that I perceive from multiple dimensions of reality

As you get power from meal, you get it from "spiritual" sources. You may think God as one of them. When you feel hunger/sick - you seek for food and meds, similarly if you'll need "spiritual" help or other - you may ask it at him and to get, taking into account his main traits (mentioned in "IR test" theme). Your unconsciousness has contact with him anyway, the difference would be only for your consciousness. His nature exists in you like genes of your ancestors affect on your life. You may don't believe in your ancestors, don't think about them, feel anything to them - but those genes make you, make how you think, feel, behave - you are their child. But ancestors are gone (partly as I suspect you may contact with them, like with your descendants or other people), while God exists eternally, being same in all times. You don't need to worship, visit churches, read "holly" books, - these are just relations between Parent and Child.
    You have religion as you have believes. In what you see, feel. Similarly you may see and feel the God, if you'll want
    You sound like my EII sister now. I probably do have contact with ancestors but not just mine. They thought it was a good idea to talk to me since I was tuned into their frequency, a sensitive child. I went to my aunt with this before my mother. I kind of thought my aunt was impressive and knew everything. I called her, θεία Αμερική. She was teaching me English and I really wanted to know the words for all these things. I got to learn all about hell, devils and damnation from her. Some of my first English words, I suspect. You can see what might have set me on a different path.
    If I had asked my mother earlier I would have gotten a better understanding, in my native language, but she was busy working a lot plus she didn't like to talk about stuff like that much. She saw her grandmother the day after she had died and it scared my mom very much. She walked in the house and her grandmother was just sitting there. My mom ran outside and would not go back inside until her parents got home. That was her first time. She has been visited by her dead relatives ever since but she is not afraid anymore. She chose to believe god is responsible for it. I don't. I don't have a problem with you, my sister, or my mom, calling it god since that is only a word people use for source energy or stuff they call "mysterious" and don't understand. I was not one to just accept what other's told me and wanted to understand. I no longer get irritated with the term god or wish to debate the idea. People can form their own opinions based on their own experience.

Last edited by Aylen; 09-16-2017 at 06:27 PM.

YWIMW

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    There are quite a few different animals out where I live. Once on a walk with my dog, a wolf passed behind us, very close and then leapt over a fence and was gone. It was downwind from us and behind us so my dog never even knew it was there. And sometimes the coyotes are so loud and close to my house it's eerie, but I've never felt afraid. I've sometimes sat in the dark on my front porch and just listened to them sing.
    Yeah, I think possibility to run into bears increases a lot if I wanted to go really far out there. When you meet those 250-500 kg guys (when they have off spring) who are fast sprinters and climbers (https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Eurasian_brown_bear) it is serious business although they try to avoid humans. It is far off possibility, though.

I have lived in the so called Bear city few years (although the bears are gone long time ago).
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    what is your TIM?
    the same thing you said here, I was told by an ESI, that sex is a way for him to know human soul better, to which I responded with doubt and said he is looking for moral justification and asked how can one know about another person's soul with a one night stand? he said it is a long story.
    The way sol explains it is not the way I do it. Definitely not a one night stand thing.

YWIMW

TIM
    INTj-Ti
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was terrified of the dark when I was a kid because of all the sleeping problems I had. Night terrors, sleepwalking, sleep paralysis...

Being a sensor would not have made a difference.
    SP/SX
    5w4

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    It sounds like a nice pastime to me though! I have the opposite view, I would have no fear to be far away from civilization and its activity. Could be a forest, the mountains, anything. Humans are more dangerous than nature
    I've done some hiking alone in the wilderness. It had a strong impact on me psychologically. The fact that I was in an environment totally cut off from civilization and culture and no other human beings. It was a lot harder than I'd thought. There are some rational factors like wild animals and risk of getting lost, but the unconscious irrational factor of that kind of environment is more subtle and scary I think. It doesn't sound that bad when talking about it but when in that actual situation it takes some time getting used to it. At least for me.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I've done some hiking alone in the wilderness. It had a strong impact on me psychologically. The fact that I was in an environment totally cut off from civilization and culture and no other human beings. It was a lot harder than I'd thought. There are some rational factors like wild animals and risk of getting lost, but the unconscious irrational factor of that kind of environment is more subtle and scary I think. It doesn't sound that bad when talking about it but when in that actual situation it takes some time getting used to it. At least for me.
    Same. But, I am convinced that if a wild animal attacks it will choose me. I have always thought that, in the back of my mind. That is not how I want to leave this lifetime. I am usually the smallest in the group so I look like the easiest target. The do not seem afraid so I think people are feeding them. I heard them talking about coyote on the news and they say they are becoming an increasing problem in my county. I rarely saw them a few years ago but now I can't walk around my lake at night. I have seen a few around the wooded side which is less than a block from me. I live near a highway, that is busy, on the edge of town. We also have bears very close and there are signs to look out for them. :/

I do not live in fear of them though. I respect them and stay out of their way. If I get eaten it is my own fault.

YWIMW

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'll answer this question again.

I was always afraid of the dark as a child.

Age 8 if I woke up at night I would be afraid that the devil would enter the room. I had a vivid picture of the devil. I had heard stories from my friends about him. My family was not religious, but I had come in contact with these mythological fantasies somehow.

Only thing I had heard was that he had 4 horns, but in my imagination I knew exactly what he looked and felt like.

I had a friend whos mother had died. I once had to go through the dark basement in his house. I remember being so scared that the ghost of his dead mother would show up.

I think fear of the dark is about the relationship between the ego and the unconscious. Children still have a weak ego. As an adult I still feel the impact of darkness but with a stronger ego I feel being on top of it.

(Jung on Si)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast