Thread: Do You Enjoy Classical Music, Musicals, the Opera?

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Do You Enjoy Classical Music, Musicals, the Opera?

I like:

Classical music - not in general but it's limited to the composer. I enjoy Debussy & Bach.
    Musicals - YEEES, my favorites.
    Opera - My patience is limited to 3 hours Other than that, I'm really interested. I saw Bizet's Carmen recently and it was amazing.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classical music: Yes, of course. I've been raised by a grandfather who was very fond of classical music (an LSI, I think). He got me into various composers: Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Schumann, Haydn, Bach, Vivaldi, just to name a few. My favorite piece ever is the 1st movement of Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony. On my (loved) violin instead, I really like to play Vivaldi's composition, as they are very technical and schematic (my inner Ti nature). Even my violin teacher says that Vivaldi's music reflects my personality and sometimes he jokes on my pedantry and poor emotionality.

Opera: I don't like it very much. I listen mainly Italian composers: Verdi, Rossini, Donizetti. But I'm not really into them.
    KEEP IT LIGHT AND KEEP IT MOVING

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

None, especially not opera or musicals. Musicals are either too cheesy or goofy, opera is too piercieng and classical music too boring. I'm also mostly not a theatre fan, so I'm pretty uncultured in many areas.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

some things I like

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the music that has impressed me a lot.

Bach: Orchestral suites
    (just the spirit of it, the lightness - and depth)

Bach: Matthäus-Passion
    (so sad and deep, full of destiny)

Stravinsky: The Firebird
    (this is when I learned the expressive power of symphonic music)

Beethoven: Symphony no 7
    (monumental!)

Mozart: Jupiter symphony
    (Interesting analysis of the polyphony of the last movement)
    (There is something about Mozart. The music has life in it.)

Haydn: String quartet 74
    (irresistible)

Edit. I almost forgot Prokofievs 5th symphony
    Last edited by Tallmo; 09-05-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    some things I like
    Woo! Majestic! I like this, too.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Adore it... yearning music about the moon.

1:10 - that's when the best part starts. It sounds like a lost love :/ I get emotional

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

about moon. not classical style, but close

a couple of rock covers I liked

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    about moon. not classical style, but close

a couple of rock covers I liked

Ohhh interesting *^*

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like some musicals but if I don't like it it's very annoying (Rocky Horror would be an example of one I like a lot); opera is ok and I don't like classical music other than like one song because it bores me.
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
    I like some musicals but if I don't like it it's very annoying (Rocky Horror would be an example of one I like a lot); opera is ok and I don't like classical music other than like one song because it bores me.
    Yeah Rocky Horror is the shit because it's highkey bisexual, you like Dr. Frank N. Furter? SX/SO in a nutshell.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes classical music is nice. Especially like RV Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g7D9lNNcMg

Musicals are ok, depending on storyline. But I see mostly "common" musicals i.e. West Side Story et cetera and not any super-cultured ones. I like the theatre but you don't include in the title

Never been to the opera and never plan to go.
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, I enjoy some classical music and operas. Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Modern have been incorporated into playlists, along with music from other genres. Over 99% of music produced today will not stand the test of time as Classical has. It is a living musical tradition. No one is going to be learning and reinterpreting Justin Bieber two centuries from now. Much of the music produced today is bland, repetitive, and lacks depth. They are the same formulas repackaged over and over again. I want to hear music that is intelligent, aesthetically pleasing, speaks to one's "soul", changes key and timing, and isn't limited by airplay time and short attention spans.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Chae, are you familiar with Händels opera "Rinaldo"? It has some very beautiful music.

Baroque music sounds so crisp and fresh

I haven't seen it but the story is very dramatic of course. Something about love and crusades I think

The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always liked musicals, theaters... I just haven't seen many. There's something to it... like there are a lot of passionate people who want to make people see cool and creative stuff.

As for classical music, I guess I only really like Beethoven... but Beethoven is like... real music to me.

I don't think this Beethoven's piece, "Choral Fantasy" is that well known, but isn't this just one of the most beautiful music that you've ever heard? It's like all the beautiful parts of the 9th Symphony squeezed into a shorter piece...:

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    @Chae, are you familiar with Händels opera "Rinaldo"? It has some very beautiful music.

Baroque music sounds so crisp and fresh

I haven't seen it but the story is very dramatic of course. Something about love and crusades I think

Händel sounds familiar but "Rinaldo" is something new! Italian & opera seria it seems. Thank you for recommending those pieces

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy a wide variety of music. Classical music – I prefer instrumental pieces.

For example this one:

It's hard for me to imagine that somebody is able to perform this complex and demanding piece of music without having sensing in the ego block besides a lot of talent und practice of playing the instrument.
    Liszt was probably a badass piano vituose... and sometimes he "killed" pianos, because "broke" the mechanical limits of a lot of pianos.

I really like genre-transfer. I find it creative and playful what this guy does.

The Funeral March from Chopin in Boogie Woogie style. Is that morally acceptable? I see coffin-bearer dancing around with coffins on the graveyard in my mind while listening to it.
    ...and I forgot to mention: Partytime Nocturne
    Last edited by WinnieW; 09-28-2017 at 07:33 PM.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I think the questions are set up weird, it's like asking "do you like movies", I like some, some I don't. Most classical music is not my style, because when I listen to music I want it to have a beat and something I can nod along or dance to lol, either that or for crying, or the music should go along with a theatrical piece like a musical. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate it for what it is and see that it's good. It's kind of difficult to listen to though while you're doing something else. You can easily tell that the music back then was made for concert and so, requires active listening.
    I have only seen a few musicals in action, the worst one was Hair too silly for my taste. Top two are Les Miserables and a swedish musical that's based on The Emigrants series. That one was 4 hours which was rough but it was worth it, when you spend that much time with something its more engrained in your head and you leave having a stronger impression on it. I like the Phantom of the Opera (havent seen it live), but the music is disappointing... While in Les Miserables the music cuts through your heart at times.

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classical: Meh. I usually only like Romantic period and later.

Opera: No.

Musicals: YES. My favorite songs in general tell a story, and theater focuses on that more than any other genre.

Note:Anyone frustrated with musicals for being too cheesy should check out Next To Normal, a mature production about a family tearing apart at the seams due to mental illness. Emotionally intense and ends on a mixed note without easy answers.

I don't feel like myself. I mean, I don't feel anything.
    Hmm. Patient stable.
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd