Thread: panic attacks

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default panic attacks

So, my ESI bf has been suffering of panic attacks in the last year. It's kind of weird because he's one of the most outgoing persons and he seems to lack any fear of social interactions or of any situation around him... but yeah, it's a while that he doesn't get his bum out of his house, not even to visit me, because he wants to avoid everyone. He's taking meds, and he's fine whenever we meet, he's not suffering depression as far as I can tell.. but he just refuses to meet anyone and just avoids the public interaction... I guess he does that to avoid having another attack in front of everyone, he'd be so low if that had to happen. But he's taking meds so that shouldn't happen anymore... and the more he stays in, the harder it'll be to get used to such an interaction once he'll feel really fine... Idk what to do in front of this closure, would like to hear of your personal experiences or if you got any tips, that would be nice

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I was working with this ESI-Se CP6w7 and we agreed to meet at an art supply store where neither of us had ever been before. I arrived first and I watched her come in, and her eyes were kind of wild, like she was having a panic attack but refused to bow to it. I just went up to her and started talking to her, acting very normal, and after a few minutes she calmed down and was normal herself.

I've had panic attacks myself during the time of my life when I was doing a lot of drugs (my twenties). I remember one time when I couldn't get out of a chair, and several times when I couldn't leave the apartment. I have no good explanation for why I felt this way, other than perhaps having the idea that I was not up to the task of meeting people, because I had been out of the habit of doing so for a few days. It was a combination of irrational fear and doubting my ability to deal with life, I guess. That's not a great explanation, but that's kind of what it felt like. Plus, the overwhelming panic.

I will say that the more it happens, the more it happens, so your BF should try to break the cycle, even if he does end up having a repeat panic attack or two. He has to train himself to be normal again.

My drug use eventually declined, and my alcohol use increased, and the panic attacked ceased. Later, my alcohol use also ceased. Now I'm just on coffee most of the time, and a panic attack sounds like it would be a nice change.

As for advice, I'd not listen to me at all. I'd talk to a professional.

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

you are so sweet for showing concern

what sort of meds is he taking? anti-anxiety meds?

i've experienced a handful of what i'd consider "panic attacks". what i usually do is go outside, find a quiet, scenic, open space, and play music, sans headphones, while i lay down on the ground and do light breathing exercises. just the simple "slow breath in, slow breath out, repeat" routine. i usually opt for parks, my music of choice tends to be "lofi hip hop" mixes from youtube, or anything by nujabes ("far fowls" and "luv sic parts 1-6" are my favs). if i can find the energy then i try to do a hygiene routine beforehand, eat a meal that makes me feel good, and put on loose, comfortable clothing. the end-goal is to escape the confines of your mind which slowly puts an end to the negative thought spirals. exposing yourself to nature, it emulates the feeling you get when you hike to the top of a mountain on a beautiful summer's day and you look down on everything around you and you feel "free", higher.

ideally it should feel something like this:

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing your experience, both of you, it's not so nice to see how many people suffer from such anxiety but makes me feel a bit less troubled... although it's not about me but I can feel that weight too somehow.
    He's under anxiolytics and that's what scares me because they're just bad and heavy :/ and he's had a past as a drug-abuser so I'm a bit worried for his health and tolerance.
    @paranoid it's great of you to be that in touch with your inner states, and understand when you need some time for yourself only. Lying on the grass with nujabes in your ears is the ultimate bliss *__* I'll start trying to do that with my ESI, I really should start dragging him out.... force him. You're right lol