Thread: What cognitive function is useful in learning new language?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default What cognitive function is useful in learning new language?

I'm learning new language now and i just suddenly realized (Aha moment! Intuition moment ) Ni moment?

I realized that the use of Ti, helps.

What do you think of this?

Like i think logical thinking helps learning new language. It's not just about memorizing stuff, (Si use, i fail) but it's Ti.

Using your common sense in constructing sentences.

Like you'll know the basic grammar structure. Eventhough you lack of vocabularies, you can use synonyms to imply what you are trying to say.
    Thoughts about it? Is that a Ti use?

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idontgiveaf View Post
    It's not just about memorizing stuff, (Si use, i fail)
    Memorizing stuff is not Si
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Only comment is that in your last paragraph, I have noticed non-Ne Ti egos having issues with needing one-meaning-per-word vocabulary for second languages and so generally cannot use this strategy and have to learn more vocab as a result.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Only comment is that in your last paragraph, I have noticed non-Ne Ti egos having issues with needing one-meaning-per-word vocabulary for second languages and so generally cannot use this strategy and have to learn more vocab as a result.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    ?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Memorizing stuff is not Si

Alright lol.

Dang. Mbti sterotypes doesn't apply here. I should read more socionics lol

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What i meant is, I'll give you an example :

Situation: you're in japan, and you saw a book, and you have to borrow it. But, you don’t know how is that book called. (lack of vocabulary problems)

So, even if you don't know what is the Japanese word of dictionary, you can rather ask:

Can i borrow the book that has English - Japanese translation?

"the book that has English - Japanese translation"

- You know the translation of that.

- But you don't know what is it called.

- But the listener will understand,

"Oh, the dictionary?"

"Yes!"

- Survived!

That's what i meant, you find ways to describe what you wanna mean. In case you forgot the Japanese vocabulary for it.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

To learn a new language, it helps to be right-handed.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I see. Do you wanna see me nudes

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Functions refer to Base, Creative. Role, etc... Ni, Ti, Si are elements
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sometimes I wonder, if we all used regular language with no irregularities then translation process would be easier.
    Furthermore if we learned regular language as intermediate language then machine translation to another would become bit easier. Of course it won't apply in obscure cases like poetry.

Overall there are artificial languages (designed for regularity and consistent rules in mind) like Esperanto which people tend to learn very fast.

I think reading and writing process itself is always bit of ugly hack when it comes to naturally evolved languages. Same thing applies to grammar as well.

Natural languages are not extremely logical.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Everywhere on the forum... yer begging to get roasted What a circus.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Functions refer to Base, Creative. Role, etc... Ni, Ti, Si are elements
    What's that??

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by unsuccessfull Alphamale View Post
    Sometimes I wonder, if we all used regular language with no irregularities then translation process would be easier.
    Furthermore if we learned regular language as intermediate language then machine translation to another would become bit easier. Of course it won't apply in obscure cases like poetry.

Overall there are artificial languages (designed for regularity and consistent rules in mind) like Esperanto which people tend to learn very fast.

I think reading and writing process itself is always bit of ugly hack when it comes to naturally evolved languages. Same thing applies to grammar as well.

Natural languages are not extremely logical.
    Well I'm studying Japanese. The hardest language for English speakers lol. It.needs logic + memorization

But I'm trying to hack the memorization part

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Everywhere on the forum... yer begging to get roasted What a circus.

What? I didn't understand it Rihanna I'm soooo sorry 😥

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Verbal/Linguistic Intelligence helps. That's it.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    are you left-handed?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simo View Post
    are you left-handed?
    Yes.

Throws left, bats right.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Left-handedness or mixed-handedness means that you are more likely to experience learning difficulties.

I'm bit mixed but mostly right-handed (there are couple of things where I tend to change handedness).

I think it is probably more common that left-handed have bit more mixed-handedness in the mix than right-handed [I have to check this] because the problem is most prevalent in mixed-handedness.
    Last edited by The Reality Denialist; 07-22-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm studying Japanese. The hardest language for English speakers lol. It.needs logic + memorization

But I'm trying to hack the memorization part
    I know a ILE that loves Japanese and is a grammar nazi. I think Ti works with understanding grammar.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Verbal/Linguistic Intelligence helps. That's it.
    True. But can you relate that to cognitive functions

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I know a ILE that loves Japanese and is a grammar nazi. I think Ti works with understanding grammar.
    That's true.

I've learned that logic plays a part in learning languages

Proof

The human brain is divided into two hemispheres. The left hemisphere is the "logical brain" and is involved in language and analysis and the right hemisphere is the "creative brain," involved in daydreaming and imagination.

http://www.news-medical.net/health/L...man-Brain.aspx

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

True. But can you relate that to cognitive functions
    Actually, no, I can't.

I have known linguistically intelligent SEEs and LIIs. Conflictors who have the opposite strengths and weaknesses.
    That makes me think that there is no true correlation between linguistic intelligence and cognitive functions.
    The cognitive functions show how someone is engaging in and expressing their linguistic intelligence, but it does not determine their linguistic intelligence level itself.

Having said that, Logical types might have an advantage when it comes to learning languages that have extremely (or more) complex grammar.
    Last edited by Olimpia; 07-22-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    EII 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think @unsuccessfull Alphamale's point that natural languages are not logical is important. While there are some loose grammatical structures at the base level, most languages quickly deviate from the general rules. E.g., very basic Spanish words, first-person and third-person singular: ir (to go) -> voy, va; decir (to say) digo, dice; pedir (to ask for) -> pido, pide. The general conjugation rules divide verbs into those that end in -ar vs. those that end in -ir or -er, but clearly within the -ir group, there are several different ways to conjugate them still. I'm sure English has even more BS illogical exceptions than Spanish, but I'm less aware of them since I'm a native English speaker.

I think any type can be adept at learning a new language, though they might do it in different ways.

How some types might do it:
    - High-dimensional Nx types see the essence of when a certain kind of word/phrase/conjugation is used and thus can bring it into an unfamiliar but identical-in-essence situation
    - Se egos can unabashedly make mistakes while conversing with natives, be corrected by them, and learn from experience what to say in every situation by brute force
    - High-dimensional and valued Si and Te make a person love mastering hobbies, so if a Delta ST chooses a language as a hobby, they will enjoy exploring and conquering its detailed idiosyncrasies.

I'm not sure how Alpha SFs would do it, but I doubt they'd be bad at it if they care about it. Please chime in if you know how they'd do it.

Different types might be better at different aspects of language. I think INFx's are known for writing, so they'd be better at that, but I bet ESxp's would be amazing at speaking new languages.

Probably what's most important is how much the individual person cares about the language, their motivation for learning it. Different types might, on average, have different levels of motivation for learning a new language, which can look like different levels of ability if you forget to condition on the motivation level.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think part of the hemisphere stuff is over exaggeration. If I remember correctly elementary math is connected to linguistics but more advanced stuff is bit of right brained thingy. Following a procedure is for the left hemisphere.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think any type can be adept at learning a new language, though they might do it in different ways.
    I would take it a step further: not only do differing types learn languages differently, but they understand language in fundamentally different ways and the experience of language, how its used, what it exists to do, etc relate back to that point of divergence

now obviously there are some overarching unifying similarities as well, but they are by no means identical is my point and probably more different than people fully comprehend

in any case I think Se doms are the best at conveying their point in real time so they might be the quickest to achieve "fluency" in terms of "going to foreign country and surviving"

i think when it comes to learning multiple languages in a more academic setting that is the realm of Si, but linguistics itself is more of a Ti/Ne thing

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's true.

The human brain is divided into two hemispheres. The left hemisphere is the "logical brain" and is involved in language and analysis and the right hemisphere is the "creative brain," involved in daydreaming and imagination.

http://www.news-medical.net/health/L...man-Brain.aspx
    but that's more like logic vs intuition
    the question should be: are SLEs and ILEs equally good at learning languages, from experience the answer is no. since the SLE also won't see the potential and possibilities in the language.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My mother tongue allows somewhat free word order. We take care of meaning by using different agglutinative methods. Indo-european languages in general gives me bit rigid impression. I think mother tongue has certain degree of influence in our thinking processes.

Einstein, if I remember correctly, struggled with English even though English and German are quite close to each other.

I tend to be highly connective in my thinking process. It is like follow different lines and pick things up as I go while I'm checking logical consistency of the idea.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Actually, no, I can't.

I have known linguistically intelligent SEEs and LIIs. Conflictors who have the opposite strengths and weaknesses.
    That makes me think that there is no true correlation between linguistic intelligence and cognitive functions.
    The cognitive functions show how someone is engaging in and expressing their linguistic intelligence, but it does not determine their linguistic intelligence level itself.

Having said that, Logical types might have an advantage when it comes to learning languages that have extremely (or more) complex grammar.
    Ahuh.. I see
    Yeah. Cognitive is like how you behave.. Not really the actual innate intelligence of the person right

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

That observation doesn't apply to me in that way. I can see more than one meaning per word in English and in German just like in my native language. Otoh, I don't like to try and associate too far away in my native language either. That's probably what gets in the way with that strategy.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

How I learn languages - I understand the grammar first in my own way by seeing the structure and then practicing it by writing sentences using the grammar while also getting some very basic vocabulary sorted. Then I can build on this by reading a lot, building up passive vocabulary and then eventually try to communicate with people to make the vocabulary active (and grammar, too). With that, I don't expect fluency for a while but eventually it all comes together. Use of both grammar structures and words will become much faster and smoother.

I noticed I learn words best by just trying to remember some approximate meaning of each new word first by looking it up in the dictionary and then if I see that word a couple more times in different contexts within the next few days (by reading a lot), its meaning (or meanings) will actually get committed to memory very well without effort. Much more natural than trying to remember the new word by the native language "equivalent" of it from some word list. It's only one more step from there to make it part of the active vocabulary by using it a few times in communication.

So in part I learn in a very traditional way (might I say boring to many people ) to speed up initial learning and in part a natural way for the rest.
    Last edited by Myst; 07-29-2017 at 04:21 PM.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    i think when it comes to learning multiple languages in a more academic setting that is the realm of Si
    Si isn't the typical academic IE/function...

Hey guys, I don't agree that logic is the most important cognitive function in learning a new language. In my opinion, in some hard languages like Russian or German, logic is not working properly. They have some words and sentences that will completely blow your mind if you try to use logic to understand their syntactic constructions. The most valuable part of the learning process is the memorizing function. If you are using a good vocabulary https://www.amazon.com/German-Freque.../dp/9492637308 with a good memorizing function, you will raise your language skill more efficiently.
    Last edited by jeremiahquellette; 04-14-2022 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Logical functions are useful for textbook learning and understanding the rules of the language.

Ethical functions would boost hands on learning (like venturing out in the world and striking up conversations in your new language)

Talkative extroverts might have an advantage.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say intuition is important because learning a new language successfully greatly benefits from making associations.

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

intuition of time, especially Ni+, which is the base function of IEI.
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Ne helps to search all the possible meanings a word can have based on the different context it's used in, and can come up with many possible ways to apply the word in new contexts. Getting meaning from assumption.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably all functions except Si, Fi(?), and Se(?)
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)