Thread: How to develop each function?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How to develop each function?

How to develop functions? I didn't see any thread discuss this question. Does anyone want to share ideas about this question, other than "practice makes perfect"?

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It happens automatically when you work and develop a career.

In addition to that have some hobbies on your spare time that you really like doing.

As new challanges come up in life, they demand more development of new areas
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you can really develop them, it'll be a natural process, controlled by how much you can obtain a proper balance. Apparently, the more you use a function the more you'll weaken its opposite. So, again, it's balance we're looking for.
    In the socionics theory there's even something called accepting and producing functions. The accepting functions will pretty much stay the same, unless major unsettling things come to mess up our whole world and our selves, they are even the functions that define our actions more, infact the other producing functions are working on the data that accepting functions provide. You want to improve? Live at your fullest.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not really think there is a development curve or you know, that you train your function muscle and it get bigger. But I think of you can identify it you can more consciously use it.

TIM
    EII 4w3 Sx/sp
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hybris theory View Post
    I don't think you can really develop them, it'll be a natural process, controlled by how much you can obtain a proper balance. Apparently, the more you use a function the more you'll weaken its opposite. So, again, it's balance we're looking for.
    In the socionics theory there's even something called accepting and producing functions. The accepting functions will pretty much stay the same, unless major unsettling things come to mess up our whole world and our selves, they are even the functions that define our actions more, infact the other producing functions are working on the data that accepting functions provide. You want to improve? Live at your fullest.

Could you gimme a link on the accepting and producing functions?

C-EII-INFj 4w3 Sx/sp 479

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-http://www.sociotype.com/socionics/model_a/

-http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/260-Accepting-Producing-Characteristic-of-Functions

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ok the OP aims at conscious development, nothing by chance but deliberate work. I'd say simply by using focus/neglect of function pairs, willful improvement happens.

If you wanna develop , abandon to set your focus on ethics. will also come along while is suppressed. The elements are an either or business so development also depends on what you want to sacrifice. You can't develop your purpose without setting aside direct implementation (-), for instance. Or, you can't explore without leaving your comfort zone (-).

Always look at the shadow of what you want to manifest, the key is there.

In a nutshell:

Make sure to "add and reduce" at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you guys, very help replies.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Ok the OP aims at conscious development, nothing by chance but deliberate work. I'd say simply by using focus/neglect of function pairs, willful improvement happens.

If you wanna develop , abandon to set your focus on ethics. will also come along while is suppressed. The elements are an either or business so development also depends on what you want to sacrifice. You can't develop your purpose without setting aside direct implementation (-), for instance. Or, you can't explore without leaving your comfort zone (-).

Always look at the shadow of what you want to manifest, the key is there.

In a nutshell:

Make sure to "add and reduce" at the same time.
    This is pretty interesting.

Can you reply me a list of cognitive functions with their shadow?

And how do you determine / calculate a cognitive function shadow?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is OP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just come up another question. there are many dichotomies in the sociology theory. Do you think align yourselves with them is best for realiseing your potential?

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear, your potential doesn't lay in your elements and functions, but if you use what you have or not. Even if you gain nothing out of what you have, so that to none it would be considered "good potential", it is nevertheless important to understand that it's not a function or a pairing that is caging you, or making you a better person. We are so different in this world =), even inside each type.. and the best thing in this, is that no one will be perfect: it's our flaws, our obsessions, our insane ideas, that hold the most potential; just because all these things will be different from "your average well balanced type".
    And that's what makes things interesting, when people are free to express their differences and their special nonsensical what nots.
    Don't get so fixed in thinking that there's only types. I know we're on a socionics forum, but these psychological methods should be used to better understand ourselves. Improve yourself, by accepting what makes YOU unique, not your type.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by someoneatemypie View Post
    I just come up another question. there are many dichotomies in the sociology theory. Do you think align yourselves with them is best for realiseing your potential?
    Not necessarily. Reinin Dichotomies are a very interesting part of the theory. I mean, I could spend hours staring at the Reinin's Pyramid to study all the possible combinations.
    But don't take them too seriously. The may lead you to mistype. I recommend to work with Model A. Is there that you can learn about your strengths and your weaknesses and, consequently, to exploit your potential.
    KEEP IT LIGHT AND KEEP IT MOVING

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try really hard, reflect on what you're doing wrong, listen to other people when they're criticizing you, take it in small doses but be consistent, use your stronger functions to compensate.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do drugs and/or push your boundries. It's only on the edge you find yourself.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After you find what you are looking at, then you got to practise. Eventually over time you figure it out and what to do.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe you have to deliberately neglect an element in order to improve another element.
    Follow the guidelines of 1D = experience, the more experience you gain in a chosen activity, perhaps even deliberate practice, then you'll read/hear/discover rules (2D) related to that specific activity. As you pursue similar types of that activity more you might start seeing when those rules can be broken and/or situationally applied (3D), and with 'mastery' then you'll recognize how situations develop over time and/or reliably predict where they might go (4D).

However, don't expect to turn a 1D element into a 4D element. At best you might be able to nudge it up into the next level a tiny bit.
    So.. choose your activity, gain lots of experience with the activity, figure out some rules/norms related to that specific activity, then try similar yet slightly different activities, gain experience with them, figure out some rules/norms, and continue building your experiences and rules/norms so that eventually you can start noticing when rules/norms apply and when they don't. Then repeat the cycles with related yet different activities, again and again and again, so you'll start noticing why certain rules/norms might apply in a particular situation and why they wouldn't apply in that particular situation.

As for choosing activities, I'd suggest going back to the aspects.
    Are you trying to improve your understanding of or ability to work with objects?....or fields? (Xe or Xi)
    Are you trying to improve your understanding of or ability to work with what/who something is/n't and it's attributes? ....or where/when it moves/influences other things? (static or dynamic)
    Are you trying to improve your understanding/ability with explicitness?.... or implicitness? (S/T or N/F)
    Are you trying to improve your understanding/ability with abstractness?....or involvement? (N/T or S/F)
    Are you trying to improve your understanding/ability with parts?... or whole? (J or P)

As you can see, by improving your experiences, understandings, and abilities in an aspect, it'll carry over into more than one specific element.

Also, for example, if you're trying to improve your polr, you might be able to fake your polr by working on how your hidden agenda and creative work together instead.
    Or spend time working on your dual seeking element so you don't have to rely as much on someone else to provide it for you.
    Work on how your dual seeking and creative work together. Or your base and hidden agenda work together. Improving how your preferences work together, supports each other, and balances each other may help you be the best you you can be....without as much frustration as working on what you dislike/detest and are weak in.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Often people are too much in the superego. Especially ethical types. And especially normalizing subtypes

I know an LSE who worked in sales and he seemed like a tense EIE.

ESI being too analytical

SEI can often be too focused on time and hurry.

ILE using too much Se if the job demands that.

Then its good to have hobbies that develops base and Ego functions and balances the person.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I developed mine when i experienced being in a loop, to access my third function, and be depressed, to access my inferior grip

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think people can become bit one sided with IEs. Just try to look at other side of it.

Just check Model G's description of +/-. Try to broaden your lower dimension IEs esp. true when <3D. The beast is in your PoLR... it is usually the most polarized. (I have real problems with inner circle stuff and other non-democratic ways)
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    I don't believe you have to deliberately neglect an element in order to improve another element.
    Me neither. But I have found that if you focus on one element, its dual becomes suppressed. E.g. if you work too much on ideas then you are liable to neglect your physical needs, or if you tend too much to your daily needs you may feel stagnant, etc.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Practice. Also dual would be help to introject his personality to more activate own weak functions and to study his skills.

F - communication with people, trying to feel them, to play them
    T - thinking and studing technical stuff
    S - physical work, sport
    N - imagination, esoteric

What should be avoided in the beginning - direct training of superego functions. Train superid ones and this will help with superego, they are linked. When you'll rise and improve superid, will be easier direct activation and training of superego, your psyche will be lesser supressed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    I have found that if you focus on one element, its dual becomes suppressed.
    This happens only during the work. This does not make the other functions weaker.
    I'd use the analogue of developing different hands - you can do something only by one hand (like writing), but the training of left hand will not make weaker the right one. You'll become ambidexter.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    This happens only during the work. This does not make the other functions weaker.
    Not in the long term, no. The best way I can describe it is that you "bend" your psyche into a certain state, and it can take a while for it to get "unbent". Sometimes I find that I develop habits with functions like Se and Fe but if I neglect them for too long, when I return to it it's just as bothersome as it was before. So developing long-term skill is a bit more elusive.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Not in the long term, no.
    I said there about other theme. That developing of one function does not supress the opposite (generally). Like you'd made better contact with your emotions and that would make you harder deal with mathematics. You just will switch with similar ease when it needs that opposite T function. Function's developing makes you easier switching and getting more intensive (and more productive) conscious content for that function. Like to develop left hand does not make you worser in using of right one.
    It's easy to check. Just look at people of F types which study T sciences. All or most of them keep high emotionality and express it like it was befor their study. There is some difference only when they are on the technical work, - there their nonverbal changes closer to T types, they've learned better to concentrate on T functions. But they don't loose their general F skills, just become more reasonable, balanced and better doing T stuff. There is no significant loses what you'd notice (including nonverbal), - they are similarly sweet in communication and good in other F things.

> So developing long-term skill is a bit more elusive.

It's not. You may develop particular skills in weak functions regions. They may regress some faster, but you keep much of what you've studed. And all developed skills rise that function generally. If you are in close friendship with a dual, - you get permanent activation of weak functions and regression will be slower, while studing concrete skills - easier.
    We may think about type like about tendency to develop concrete functions. Seems there is nothing what blocks to develop and use "weak functions" like strong ones. It's like to become ambidexter - just use the other hand too and you'll keep it ok further.

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If you want any skill the best way to learn it is to develop some framework-plan-strategy and then just practice. Any person can learn to think objectively, or to impress their opinion of something, or imagine or touch, it is just practice or experience. you can enhance your practice via a strategy or a framework: this applies to literally anything in your life not just socionics type things.

Most humans actualise automatically - through work, social relationships, et cetera. You can put in a bit of effort to improve and have more than others, but it should come naturally.
    Last edited by totalize; 10-19-2017 at 04:30 PM.
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by air View Post
    How to develop functions? I didn't see any thread discuss this question. Does anyone want to share ideas about this question, other than "practice makes perfect"?
    What functions you want to develop? Is there need for like a quick development or do we need go just at a normal phase?

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What else can a human being do than concentrate on his work and career. Hobbies and household on his spare time. Friends and family. There is enough of development for a lifetime.

Functions are developed in an activity. There is really not that much to say about this.

You shouldn't just pick a function and then decide to develop it. Instead do the activities that you find meaningful at the moment. The functional development comes as a by-product.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me neither. But I have found that if you focus on one element, its dual becomes suppressed. E.g. if you work too much on ideas then you are liable to neglect your physical needs, or if you tend too much to your daily needs you may feel stagnant, etc.
    Agreed. That's why I don't think one has to deliberately neglect them, heh.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp