Thread: ILE/ENTp writers and authors

TIM
    SEI-Si 648 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default ILE/ENTp writers and authors

Please contribute if you know of any. Chuck Palahniuk is definitely one.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why ILE for Palahniuk? I love and identify a lot with his writings, but the whole premise of Fight Club seems a little Se-valuing/Si-devaluing to me. I'm trying to find a way to make him fit in my head as ILE due to that identification, it's not matching up right though.

I would have guessed IEI first.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Douglas Adams
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Douglas Adams was Alpha NT for sure, and probably ILE > LII.

I think Terry Pratchett was Ne-base too. I could potentially see IEE rather than ILE, ILE is my first guess though.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont enjoy his writing style at all.
    But that's neither here nor there.
    doesn't have to be type related necessarily, nor do i mean to imply that as a reason he's not ILE.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Chuck klosterman (who I enjoy).... Also could be LII.

TIM
    SEI-Si 648 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nanooka View Post
    Why ILE for Palahniuk? I love and identify a lot with his writings, but the whole premise of Fight Club seems a little Se-valuing/Si-devaluing to me. I'm trying to find a way to make him fit in my head as ILE due to that identification, it's not matching up right though.

I would have guessed IEI first.
    His book "Diary" about an artist is more obviously Si-valuing, if that helps?

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd like to say Stephen King, but many people think Ni dom, so I don't know.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm. I'm not sure Diary is specifically and definitively Si, though? The flow of time and an element of mysticism are humongous themes in it, both of which lean Ni. The only thing I can see that leans Si in nature is that the protagonist is a visual artist.

TIM
    SEI-Si 648 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hm. I'm not sure Diary is specifically and definitively Si, though? The flow of time and an element of mysticism are humongous themes in it, both of which lean Ni. The only thing I can see that leans Si in nature is that the protagonist is a visual artist.
    I don't understand why the flow of time and mysticism exclusively belongs to Ni?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkcanary View Post
    I don't understand why the flow of time and mysticism exclusively belongs to Ni?
    They don't exclusively, they're emphases generally associated with Ni though. So in the absence of anything else clarifying their use and narrowing it down to something more specific, I'd veer towards the standard element description of Ni in seeing those emphases as typifying IEIs and ILIs. If they stand on their own two feet, as themes unto themselves rather than being used as tools in service of some other theme, that's also somewhat indicative of Ni.

Meanwhile, I don't see much specifically typifying Si in even Diary, to be honest.
    Last edited by Nanooka; 06-12-2017 at 10:11 PM.

TIM
    SEI-Si 648 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I found this quote from the book that sounds like a definition of Si in use:

“Peter used to say that an artist’s job is to make order out of chaos. You collect details, look for a pattern, and organize. You make sense out of senseless facts. You puzzle together bits of everything. You shuffle and reorganize. Collage. Montage. Assemble.”

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like Ti valuation or strong Ti more than it does Si, sorting and organizing data into patterns is more the purview of it. I guess it sounds vaguely Alpha more than Beta with the Ne-ish "collage, montage" parallel-drawing, but that seems like a weak point compared to the overarching theme of the book. Especially since IEIs do have strong Ne, though it's the weakest of their strong functions.

TIM
    SEI-Si 648 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That sounds like Ti valuation or strong Ti more than it does Si, sorting and organizing data into patterns is more the purview of it. I guess it sounds vaguely Alpha more than Beta with the Ne-ish "collage, montage" parallel-drawing, but that seems like a weak point compared to the overarching theme of the book. Especially since IEIs do have strong Ne, though it's the weakest of their strong functions.
    Well, he is ILE subtype Ti. Si does a similar thing though, what else are they going to do with all that sensory information?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, he is ILE subtype Ti. Si does a similar thing though, what else are they going to do with all that sensory information?
    Classification and organization aren't really described of Si. What you're describing is what one does with that data, which is judgment rather than perception. Si like Ne is a lens of perception, not judgment. If you're SEI then you value Ti and have it as your HA, I'm sure you do engage in said classification pretty often; but there's a difference between SEIs doing it and "Si" doing it.

I think, based on all the themes expressed in his books, IEI is more likely than ILE to be honest. I'd love him to fit as ILE, but it just doesn't seem most likely to me. Fight Club reeks of Beta values and even his other works express Ni themes more than anything else, all I can maybe say in favor of ILE is that his focus on Ti is slightly more than the norm even for a Hidden Agenda. It's still in the range of what could realistically fit as "Ti HA" though. It seems like a simpler explanation than assuming he's an ILE who somehow both perfectly mirrors Beta values and is weirdly obsessed with his Ni-ignoring, which would be the weakest of his strong functions.
    Last edited by Nanooka; 06-12-2017 at 11:05 PM.

TIM
    SEI-Si 648 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I really doubt he is IEI. In his book "Choke" the protagonist pretends to choke on food, so he can receive the Heimlich Maneuver. He is kind of desperate for affection, but it's done in a way where he doesn't have to reciprocate it.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how having traits similar to Munchausen syndrome is contradictory to IEI? It seems completely unrelated to anything type-related, in that I can see how it could be an expression of either Fe or Fi valuation. Whether the feeling function is strong or weak, everyone wants to feel cared for, and some will resort to crazy methods to achieve it.

At most its only relation to type I can see is that it's more likely of Fe valuation, only because Fi base types would even if unhealthy generally be a bit inhibited away from it except in extraneous circumstances. That means it's not really contraindicative of a standard unhealthy example of 14 of 16 types, though.
    Last edited by Nanooka; 06-13-2017 at 02:18 AM.

TIM
    SEI-Si 648 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't see how having traits similar to Munchausen syndrome is contradictory to IEI? It seems completely unrelated to anything type-related, in that I can see how it could be an expression of either Fe or Fi valuation. Whether the feeling function is strong or weak, everyone wants to feel cared for, and some will resort to crazy methods to achieve it.

At most its only relation to type I can see is that it's more likely of Fe valuation, only because Fi base types would even if unhealthy generally be a bit inhibited away from it except in extraneous circumstances. That means it's not really contraindicative of a standard unhealthy example of 14 of 16 types, though.
    Typing functions...

Watch a video of him. That's how I type anyway.

I am right that he's ILE, but I'm not arguing it well.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typing functions...

He's one of my favorite writers, I've seen a lot interviews with him. I don't really see value in VI besides gauging temperament, which physical bearing and energy are the main indicators of.

The only thing I can say from VI is that he comes off in interviews as somewhat low-energy and seems introvert-leaning.

I am right that he's ILE, but I'm not arguing it well.

This seems like unwarranted confidence in a particular typing? Even if he's your favorite author, there's no reason why said author has to be your dual. One of my favorite authors is Kafka, who I'd if anything put in Gamma as an ILI.

So far I just haven't seen anything that negates his large emphasis on Ni themes and Beta quadra values. I don't see much in the way of Alpha values expressed, nor Si valuation, and while some aspects of it are clearly present I don't see Ne over and above Ni. The former, not the latter, reads more like his ignoring function.
    Last edited by Nanooka; 06-14-2017 at 06:37 AM.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I can say from VI is that he comes off in interviews as somewhat low-energy and seems introvert-leaning.
    Thanks for posting. I got interested and tried to type him. I agree with Nanooka that he seems IEI. When I type from video I try to ignore everything personal and just tune in on the information. Comparing on previous experiences with types.

For me its useful to compare him with people I actually type ILE but who seem introverted on first sight. Like artist Mathew Barney.

The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)