Thread: What are your goals?

TIM
    ESI-Se 1w9
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What are your goals?

This thread is for stating and updating your progress on your current goals. It can be from a new year's resolution you are currently fulfilling or something you're going to start in the near future. It can also be academic e.g. finish in Top 5% of class etc.

Other members are free to chime in and offer advice or even suggest goals for other members, but please refrain from anything other than constructive criticism when doing so. This thread is to encourage participating members to make real growth in at least 1 area of their life.

Members are also allowed to describe their current situation at any point and ask for achievable goals to aim toward, and are also allowed to post articles and motivational posters in moderation.

You can choose to continuously update your first post on this thread containing your goals or choose to post updates.

Good luck in achieving all of what you aim for!!!

TIM
    EIE Sx/So 3w4 78
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool

Physical health that's all. Maybe some progress in dancing but that's secondary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    This doesn't take a grain of salt, it takes a: BIG ASS SALTY ASS FREAKING ASS GAY MOUNTAIN!

TIM
    ESI-Se 1w9
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Physical health that's all. Maybe some progress in dancing but that's secondary.
    I had a feeling you'd be first *wink*

I also have health goals - I hope to hit 180 lbs with about 10% body fat (I'm 5'11). I've started hitting the gym again since a few months back so I'm making progress on this one.

I'm also looking into learning a new programming language, maybe Java or Swift/C as I know C# and a bit of C++ already.

I also want to finish my second song. I started making them ages ago and I've only completed one in about 7 years

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been considering going to grad school, so I'd like to take and do well on GRE/MAT. However, I haven't decided if that's what I want to do for sure. I want to find something that I really want to do that will hold my interest for the long term and I can commit to. So many times I take an interest in something, but it ends up being more of a whim than something I'm really serious about. I want to be really serious about something, I think. I'm afraid of getting myself trapped in something I don't want - wasting a lot of time and energy and potentially money as well towards something that was only a passing interest. I want to find something that I'll really stick with, and continue to want to do. So my goal is a trifactor one: Educate myself and prepare, find something I can really apply myself to, and go for it.

6/2 Addendum: I think I need to do something where I can solve problems, unravel things, sort things out clearly, and have this be appreciated.
    Last edited by squark; 06-02-2017 at 09:07 PM.

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pay off loans so I can save money, so I can quit my job and retire before 40, so I can live in a small apartment and eat cereal every day.

TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I want to lose another 10-15 pounds. I've been counting calories and getting some light/moderate exercise every day. I've really been falling off the rails with food for the last couple weeks, and it hasn't affected my weight loss yet but I'm finally starting to feel it in my body the last couple days. I might increase my calorie intake and go more slow and steady so I don't have these compulsions to "treat myself" - it will prepare me more for long term maintenance anyway. I already have habits established for a 1200-1300 calorie diet so in order to bump it up a bit I need to figure out new meal and snack options.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get ripped af
    Last edited by kalinoche; 05-23-2017 at 03:18 PM.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a goal to finish a beaded project that I just finished designing. It might take a couple of months.
    I have another goal to knit 10 pairs of baby socks by mid-June. I need to get to work on that. But baby socks don't take long to make.
    I have another goal to be conversational in Finnish someday, or at least be able to read Finnish posts on Facebook.

LSE
    1w2 so/sp 1-6-2
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. The goal is the swole

2. Buy an apartment. I live close to my job, but it's in the middle of nowhere and all my friends live in the town. I'm currently the highest bidder on an apartment.

3. Get in a stable relationship. Not a very rock'n'roll goal but I miss it, and it's been a while since I made it work with someone. Lately it has only been short lived stuff that didn't work out.

4. Get a better job. I guess I have to go to university and get a degree, but I'm very reluctant to the idea. The best thing would be if I could get some other job without education, but I don't have the experience or education to get anything good that way. In either case, I won't stay at this job for long.

5. Start a family. I wanna have kids some day so that I can teach them everything I know and make them into better versions of myself. I feel like I need an outlet to put all my experience into, once I'm done with life I need to conserve all my knowledge into my children so that it won't go to waste. Because I've done so many mistakes, and I've thought about it long enough that I know I could guide my child into a better life style.

6. Millionaire. It's getting blurry this far into the future, I don't know how I will get there

TIM
    SLI 5w6 sp/so
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

make money and become independent from family
    find good friends (found them. Lucky me.)
    find someone who likes doing boring stuff so we can do boring stuff together and be perfectly content because life just needs to be lived
    Last edited by Cosmic Teapot; 05-24-2017 at 01:18 PM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd like to change career to something more satisfying and future-oriented
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEI - H
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the next 4 month:

1. Lose 10 pounds, that I gained in the winter and haven't been able to lose ever since
    2. Graduate as Master of Arts
    3. Get my band to be more responsible
    4. Make an album
    5. Perform live
    4w3 7w6 9w1 so/sx
    INFP
    sensitive - serious - leisurely

TIM
    ESI-Se 1w9
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some interesting goals so far . Losing weight seems to be a common one so I've found a good article on the Keto diet which a friend of mine is on and has only good things to say about.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I very much like this approach to goals (especially as it's the one I take naturally, and has worked for me in the past) http://jamesclear.com/goals-systems

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are short-term and long-term. They'll definitely change in some way I'm sure.

1. Career goals: switch to a position at a university, probably in admissions. It won't be glamorous, but it'll give me experience. I want to work my way up to be a Study Abroad Advisor. I'd also like to get my Master's degree sometime. I would be content, but if I want to continue my education, I'd love to get a PhD and possibly lecture at a university. But I don't know about that last one. If I stayed an Advisor at a reasonably prestigious university, I'd sleep well at night. But the first goal is to get out of teaching.

2. Get a nice house in a nice community. I don't care too much about location, but staying in the U.S. may be more realistic due to citizenship reasons and all that. But the community part is super important. I want friends. if I could choose anywhere to live, it'd be Canada. I could use my French a bit, and I love cool climates.

3. Possibly work my way up to getting a husky or samoyed. I've never owned a dog, so I'd start with a small one and see how well I could do with a larger one of course. If I decide not to, gimme a kitty.

4. Learn at least one more language. Can't decide which one though. If I learn a language that has similar words and grammatical structures to French, I'd like to learn another one after.

5. Get a bit healthier. This includes losing some weight, getting better at cardio, and working on my flexibility. The thought of being super flexible is cool

6. Whatever I do, keep my current friends close and make new ones along the way. None of this will have been worth it if I'm in it alone.
    Always welcome typing advice. :]

TIM
    S to the L to the E
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanna:

-Lose 20 pounds or so, I've become skinny fat due to no consistency in exercises and way too much ramen

-Properly master Japanese once and for all, it's an emergency

-Improve my singing (specifically stability while moving)

-Getting a better poker face. Really.

stronger, faster, weirder (BBL) niffer's Avatar
    TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyOne View Post
    -Properly master Japanese once and for all, it's an emergency
    Does that mean I might be seeing you sometime soon? I've already met two female duals from the forum. It would be fun to be able to meet a potential identical next. And once you master the language, teach me, sensei...

I'll be going from Canada to Tokyo this June 19th, and I have the following goals I'd like to meet:
    - Upgrading my driver's license by taking a road test that 50% of people here fail on their first try, and pass on my first (or second ) try. Then getting an international driving permit before I leave.
    - Scoring at the highest level for the business Japanese proficiency test I'll be taking in Tokyo after the first week I land, if not acing the test (this latter part might be a little ambitious lol).
    - Passing the national JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test -- a general one) in the second most difficult category, which I'll be taking a few days after the previous one. My practical problem solving skills are much higher than my written raw vocabulary skills so I will need to study much harder for this one.
    - Finding a job in my chosen field in or around Tokyo that will give me a working visa (it's not teaching English btw).
    - Losing some more weight / toning up. My Canadian Arctic whale blubber will be no match for the East Asian summer heat, so I won't need to push myself too much with this one.

TIM
    somethin'
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Move to somewhere more exciting, amass funds so I go a long time without even needing a job, find more hobbies, collect more guns, swords and survival gear.

TIM
    S to the L to the E
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    Does that mean I might be seeing you sometime soon? I've already met two female duals from the forum. It would be fun to be able to meet a potential identical next. And once you master the language, teach me, sensei...

I'll be going from Canada to Tokyo this June 19th, and I have the following goals I'd like to meet:
    - Upgrading my driver's license by taking a road test that 50% of people here fail on their first try, and pass on my first (or second ) try. Then getting an international driving permit before I leave.
    - Scoring at the highest level for the business Japanese proficiency test I'll be taking in Tokyo after the first week I land, if not acing the test (this latter part might be a little ambitious lol).
    - Passing the national JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test -- a general one) in the second most difficult category, which I'll be taking a few days after the previous one. My practical problem solving skills are much higher than my written raw vocabulary skills so I will need to study much harder for this one.
    - Finding a job in my chosen field in or around Tokyo that will give me a working visa (it's not teaching English btw).
    - Losing some more weight / toning up. My Canadian Arctic whale blubber will be no match for the East Asian summer heat, so I won't need to push myself too much with this one.
    I'll be there for a while, so my conversational level won't cut it, have to really dedicate myself this time around.

Let's see how we do in our Nippon and weight goals, best of luck for us

TIM
    Ni-ILI 864 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy some land near a lake and build a log cabin there.
    "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools." ― Thucydides

TIM
    SEER ~ 4w5 ~ sx/sp
    Mentioned
    782 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    Buy some land near a lake and build a log cabin there.
    I own a house on a lake, at the edge of my town. It's only a half acre but private enough with the landscaping. I highly recommend it.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

TIM
    SEER ~ 4w5 ~ sx/sp
    Mentioned
    782 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    I very much like this approach to goals (especially as it's the one I take naturally, and has worked for me in the past) http://jamesclear.com/goals-systems
    This is good advice.

I have a system that has worked for me very well.

TIM
    SEER ~ 4w5 ~ sx/sp
    Mentioned
    782 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor View Post
    1. The goal is the swole

2. Buy an apartment. I live close to my job, but it's in the middle of nowhere and all my friends live in the town. I'm currently the highest bidder on an apartment.

3. Get in a stable relationship. Not a very rock'n'roll goal but I miss it, and it's been a while since I made it work with someone. Lately it has only been short lived stuff that didn't work out.

4. Get a better job. I guess I have to go to university and get a degree, but I'm very reluctant to the idea. The best thing would be if I could get some other job without education, but I don't have the experience or education to get anything good that way. In either case, I won't stay at this job for long.

5. Start a family. I wanna have kids some day so that I can teach them everything I know and make them into better versions of myself. I feel like I need an outlet to put all my experience into, once I'm done with life I need to conserve all my knowledge into my children so that it won't go to waste. Because I've done so many mistakes, and I've thought about it long enough that I know I could guide my child into a better life style.

6. Millionaire. It's getting blurry this far into the future, I don't know how I will get there
    One down!

TIM
    Ni-ILI 864 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I own a house on a lake, at the edge of my town. It's only a half acre but private enough with the landscaping. I highly recommend it.
    I think our conversation months ago was one of the factors in me devising this plan.
    "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools." ― Thucydides

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Move back to Los Angeles. That means possibly looking for a new career. For now I am doing all I need to do to hopefully get me there in my current career, but I am happy to switch to something else. I just need my green card first.

Maintain a cardio/strength/yoga program that brings me back to where I was two years ago. I really liked how curvy fit I was. I want to wear my favorite dresses again.

Get even better at staying zen and with myself when dating. I have come a long way, but it still feels fragile.

Cultivate friendships better. I can be flaky and get distracted and I hate it. Thankfully my friends are very forgiving. <3
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

heretic artificial hyena Troll Nr 007's Avatar
    TIM
    ILE-C/H 7(93?)
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing particular. Just find new views, information, develop things and skills.
    Someday able to settle where I can continue what I wrote above.
    Try out normal life few secs.
    In a way it would be nice to get as low as you can. Going closest to Earth's core while being literally in lowest position you can go.
    It would be nice to see if someone could drill hole through the object (with solid core and good gravity) in space and test if you drop an object through it will act as an oscillator.
    To see how AI replaces politicians.
    Die in a weird way, maybe. It is just much more fascinating to leave things that way.
    extrospection > introspection

Head type as in being truly head type and probably 7>5. Too divergent, scattered and expressive for typical 5 and that is the preferred way although long term focus usually helps.

strainingtobehappy happytobestraining's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I want to like you but if we're friends, you cannot talk about this. It pains me.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learn, keep up grades, and build on a resume to secure an internship in the tech industry.

Get better at playing the piano.

Fly on a Boeing 747 before they are removed from commercial service.

Enter a committed relationship with a woman.

Gain experience and secure a job in the tech industry.

Make enough money to be able to purchase a house and eventually support other humans.

Reproduce.

Make enough money to send my kids to college and retire comfortably on a forested mountain with snow on top, a beach at the base, and no other people (a movable space station would be an acceptable vacation home ).

Fertilize soil with my nitrogenous compounds.

Become one with the Universe.

Become god of the quantum fields.

stronger, faster, weirder (BBL) niffer's Avatar
    TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1 year later, I totally failed all of them but the last two

the problem was not knowing enough about the goals when I set them & not enough practice with that knowledge in mind.

this year I just want to be able to support myself and all my expenses and make more connections by the end of the year. And maybe pass one of the aforementioned language exams.
    Last edited by niffer; 06-12-2018 at 03:38 AM.
    [Today 07:57 AM] Raver: Life is a ride that lasts very long, but still a ride. It is a dream that we have yet to awaken from.

It's hard to find a love through every shade of grey.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Make progress on creative projects
    2) Not have a mental breakdown
    3) Waste less time O_o
    4) Stay away from anyone sexually attractive

TIM
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Trying to develop self-discipline and to fix my diet and money-wasting habits is fast becoming a more serious goal. I'm not good at goal setting and I am not good at meeting goals. I only know what I feel like doing and what I don't feel like doing and the latter hurts. Usually I need a structure to force me to do things that hurt and that I don't feel like doing, or I use fear as a motivator. Like, I hate my job, but there are things I must do or I will be homeless. So fear makes me do things that hurt, but even then I can't make myself do very many of them and am not productive enough. At this point, I'm just very frustrated because I hurt all the time and it is so hard to get myself to do anything (and all that internal effort gets very little external work done). All these tasks hurt. All these interactions hurt. I feel like a person whose skin has been shaved off and everything cuts at it.

I am not trying to develop self-discipline because of work, but because I can't gain control over my life. My moods are all over the place and they control what I feel like doing or not doing, and a lot of me is oriented towards self-destructive habits and activities to escape the pain, including drugs and bad diet. I can't keep this up much longer. I don't know if it's already too late. My health is quite bad too and I don't know in what way it is bad, I only know it is bad. I could have cancer and be about to die in 5 months and I wouldn't even know. But I feel like I'm not okay at all, and I'm a mess inside that I don't know how to fix. And if I can't get self-discipline in somehow, I'm going to finish self-destructing.

- My other goal is about my moods. I am off my psychological meds now because I'm tired of how they feed my escapism. Sure, they make me more pleasant and agreeable and they make it easier to function, but I don't deal with any of my real problems when I'm on them. They made a life I can't endure more endurable and so I don't do anything to change it because I can't feel my pain acutely enough. They block my dreams and my imagination. So even though I may go a bit on and off them at times, the trend is towards being off them entirely because I'm tired of being medicated into being a personality that isn't mine. One feeling that happens when I'm off them, is I feel awake and like I'm really seeing the reality of this hell, as opposed to being subdued into accepting it. I feel like I have part of myself again that is out of reach while I'm medicated. So it's I have my whole but broken being as opposed to my "fake wholeness."

But with this comes worse mood swings. I go from being angry to weepy, hostile to affectionate, over and over, within the course of an hour. And I can't fully keep it from bleeding into my behavior and interactions with others, where it can be quite destructive emotionally, and even aggressive in terms of the emotion behind my words. I have developed from years ago when I couldn't be off my meds at all because I'd fall straight into this dark place and wouldn't be able to emerge (the black hole). I can control the black hole now, and I think if I keep trying I may be able to control my moods.

- Then there is my ego and narcissism--the other problem. I'm still too narcissistic and egotistical. And I'm so tired of it. I'm working on this as well but it feels like progress is so slow.

And about self-discipline and work I don't know what to do. My head hurts and I'm tired. One of the reasons I went so far on medication was it helped me do the work in office jobs because it's so hard to do these tasks. But the area I can improve is trying to space it through time better. I used to be good at that long ago before my mental health crashed. When I lost much of my memory ability, I kind of gave up because I couldn't see anymore. It was like I lost one of my senses and I can't function without it. But maybe if I fight for it, I can get it back.

-

So I suppose in short, my goal is, that I am chaos, my life is chaos, and I am trying to redeem myself in some sense, hoping that life will then reward me with a little bit of order, and maybe that will save me. And if I can save myself, I can be a better person to others. And I can stop living this dishonest life where I try to "fit in" in these work structures to survive while the real me is beneath the facade screaming.
    Last edited by inumbra; 06-15-2018 at 10:39 PM.