Thread: How to communicate with an LIE-ENTj

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Apparently it does actually. But I guess I just don't like the term "victim"
    I think LIE's have a hard time using force in the way that Se-doms do. This is good in the sense that we are more diplomatic, and bad in the sense that we usually can't "force" people to do things by dint of personality.

Instead, I think LIE's tend to use "consequences", along the lines of "If you don't want to do it, you don't have to. But if you don't, then this will happen."

I've used this approach myself in various guises.

When I was Production Manager for a machine tool company, I told a guy to wash the floor (using a machine) and blow all the dirt out the bay doors. He said, "I don't think I can do that."
    I thought WTF? We're not a Union shop. I don't have time for this.
    I told him he didn't have to do it, but if he didn't, he might as well go home, because I didn't have any other work for him.

Now, I use that approach with business contracts, but it is basically the same approach.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I think LIE's have a hard time using force in the way that Se-doms do. This is good in the sense that we are more diplomatic, and bad in the sense that we usually can't "force" people to do things by dint of personality.

Instead, I think LIE's tend to use "consequences", along the lines of "If you don't want to do it, you don't have to. But if you don't, then this will happen."

I've used this approach myself in various guises.

When I was Production Manager for a machine tool company, I told a guy to wash the floor (using a machine) and blow all the dirt out the bay doors. He said, "I don't think I can do that."
    I thought WTF? We're not a Union shop. I don't have time for this.
    I told him he didn't have to do it, but if he didn't, he might as well go home, because I didn't have any other work for him.

Now, I use that approach with business contracts, but it is basically the same approach.
    Yes, one has to be diplomatic in order to inspire ESIs. Sometimes they run away from facing new possibilities. Using too much Se doesn't work for them. You need to give them lots and lots of information and stratgically over the course of time stimulate that part of their brain you know can be stimulated till they finally show some reaction .
    Only an Ni valuing type can see how you got here from what I said

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The LIE OP describes is sounding very brief to me , maybe he's really really Te sub in which case i'm a bit surprised there'd be such communication problems since you'd be almost mirrors (taking OP's type for granted). Either way, you don't need to cater to someone so much as you describe, maybe throw a bit of Si in the mix and see what comes up might shake things up (it's sounding like he(?)'s stuck or something)

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Most SLI seem to be doers more than communicators; their perception of things has a very physical nature but they don't seem to link facts together very well. They're also not terrific at up-front planning although they can produce much while working by the seat of their pants; all they seem to need is an objective. Now, LIE can be excellent communicators and have grandiose, elaborate plans but be rather weak on the specific objectives that an SLI would need. It can sometimes be difficult to get LIE to focus on reality; they tend to have the handle-it,-handle-it-or-else approach. You have to tell the LIE what you need to do your job and nothing more; the onus is really on the boss to provide adequate resources and communicate with staff. However, I've known some LIE that have gotten rid of key people simply because they weren't marching to their beat, and the organizations suffered tremendously. If you can, it may be better to communicate through email but have correspondence vetted by someone (perhaps an IEE or LII) until you get the hang of what your boss wants in addition to what he really needs.

a.k.a. I/O

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12