Thread: Batman and family!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Batman and family!

Because that is all that has been occupying my mind lately!!! I don't know if anyone on here keeps up with comics but if you do, hit me up! Keep in mind that due to the round robin (hehe) nature of comics writing, my [insert character] and your [insert character] may be very different from each other. Please let me know what your interpretations are and what writers you take cues from!

Bruce Wayne/Batman - For me personally, ILI sx/sp, but many good arguments can be made for LIE or LSI
    I've mostly been influenced by Dixon and Winick, although I've also been informed in the periphery by Bruce Timm's animated universe Bruce. Batman Year One was fine, but I reject Frank Miller as a writer and I'm not interested in his portrayal of Batman

Dick Grayson/Robin I/Nightwing - EIE, sx/so
    Stormy, moody, cheerful and full of grace. HIS NAME SPEAKS OF FORBIDDEN DESIRES THAT ARE EXPRESSED IN DREAMS (<-- real DC comics quote). Again, my reading of him is heavily informed by Dixon and Winick and also Beatty, as well as Grayson and the Seeley/King team-up

Jason Todd/Robin II/Red Hood - I am of the opinion that Jason when he was being written as Robin and Jason as written by Winick in his Red Hood reincarnation are two very different animals. SEE sx/sp for Robin!Jason, EIE sx/sp for Winick's Jason

Tim Drake/Robin III/Red Robin - LII sx/so. sp-last for sure!! I'm obviously being reductive when I say this but imo his entire origin story can be read as craving Fe.
    Writers I go to for Tim are Wolfman, Dixon and Lewis and Johns. Yost was also very good.

Steph Brown/Spoiler/Robin IV - SEE so/sx. I feel the so/sx-ness so hard - her entire initial arc was built around her seeking belonging within a group, making a connection with Tim and (not purposefully) leveraging that to enter said group
    Dixon for her writing

Damian Wayne/Robin V - SLE, not sure about stacking. I don't pay too much attention to him.
    Last edited by yifflord; 05-01-2017 at 08:52 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*cracks knuckles*

Disclaimers; I'm not great at socionics and I haven't read a bunch of everything on these guys. Just someone who got into comic books two years ago and has been steadily plowing through trades that interest me.

Batman -
    I think Type 1 but hoo boy is trying to type that guy a can of worms. Seems a little more Sp dom to me. Weak but valued Fi makes sense. I tend to like how Paul Dini and Scott Synder (the Court of Owls one) write him. I like my Batman as glowering, obsessive, and lonely, and a stern and distant but ultimately trying-his-best father figure in light of the rest of the Bat family.

Dick Grayson - Yes, agree on Sx/So! Sp-last as hell to his detriment and he's pretty chill in matters of the Social instinct. Type 7 I think. EIE seems very logical, no wonder why he gets along so well with Tim. I've read a little Grayson and a little of him as Batman, but am mostly familiar with him popping up as a side character. I've started on Wolfman-era Teen Titans so I'll see!

Jason Todd -
    I've only read Morrison's and Rebirth!Lobdell's take on him and not his Robin days, but I like him for Se lead, maybe SLE. Weak weak intuition, which I suppose is just another way he's the black sheep of the family. I'm not sure about instinctual subtype. Morrison writes him as kinda Sx/So and his Rebirth run seems to paint him as Sp/Sx. A non-stereotypical enneagram 4w3 with a strong 3 wing. Triple reactive (486).

Tim Drake - Having read a fair amount of Dixon Robin and some of Peter David's Young Justice run, I would veer sharply from Sp-last and hardcore into So/Sp. Very clumsy and awkward about expressing anything Sx. Would definitely agree on LII, although what little I've seen of him and Spoiler makes her seem more like his ESE dual. Enneagram type is phobic 6w5 (he even gets explicitly pointed out as the superego of the group in the 90s Young Justice comic!).

Damien - Hard for me to tell with what I've read of him. In any case he's really got incredibly weak command of his ethical functions.
    Edit: Maybe ILI for Damien. The spitting image of his father.

-

Batgirl/Oracle (Barbara Gordon) - Not sure and have never read anything solo from her, but seems to be a logical type. I almost get an LSE vibe from her?

Batgirl (Cassandra Cain) - I've only read a little bit of her in No-Man's Land but I get a little bit of a Fi vibe. EII?
    Last edited by Stellafera; 05-02-2017 at 03:15 AM.
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so excited to run into another comic book fan that knows socionics! I have lots and lots and lots to say to your lovely post that I don't have time to write up right now, so I will will be back, but in the meantime I am replying to vent off my cheer

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stellafera View Post
    *cracks knuckles*
    SIMILARLY

This is going to be REAAALLY long. I apologise in advance. I also wish I could talk with you about Enneagram types but I don't know them well enough to make good guesses! One day

Batman - I think Type 1 but hoo boy is trying to type that guy a can of worms. Seems a little more Sp dom to me. Weak but valued Fi makes sense. I tend to like how Paul Dini and Scott Synder (the Court of Owls one) write him. I like my Batman as glowering, obsessive, and lonely, and a stern and distant but ultimately trying-his-best father figure in light of the rest of the Bat family.

I am a big fan of Snyder as well. My favourite arc from him is predictably Death Of The Family. sp/sx makes a lot of sense I think, especially for movie Batmans. The reason why I personally went with sx/sp instead was because I think he pushes his physical limits too horribly to be sp-first. As for sx-first, Batman as I see him is very similar to how you see him - a man stuck in a single moment in time. Obsessive, brooding, cold, incredibly lonely but riddled with a paranoia that’s so deafening that it doesn’t allow him to trust anyone enough to let them in… except, of course, the children in his care who owe their life to him. Who need him. Batman needs to be needed. His parents’ death gave him a purpose, but I think Robin gives his mission a face that he can’t function without. Whenever he doesn't have a partner by his side to keep him in check and give him something to care for, that's when he becomes reckless, doesn't heed his own safety and loses sight of who he's supposed to be. Hence, for me, sx/sp

Dick Grayson - Yes, agree on Sx/So! Sp-last as hell to his detriment and he's pretty chill in matters of the Social instinct. Type 7 I think. EIE seems very logical, no wonder why he gets along so well with Tim. I've read a little Grayson and a little of him as Batman, but am mostly familiar with him popping up as a side character. I've started on Wolfman-era Teen Titans so I'll see!

EIE/ILI supervision also lends itself to the strife of the Bruce-and-Dick dynamic. Dick has a keen understanding of Bruce but he’s always trying to charge him up with his Fe, always desperate for an energy in Bruce that Bruce can’t give him. It’s the cause of so much of their friction.

Robin!Jason, as Bruce’s dual, never, ever sees this as a fault in Bruce’s character. He doesn’t ever demand Bruce express or exude. Ironically, I think it brings out a side of Bruce that expresses more naturally. I also think Jason’s approach to Batman can be read as democratic (or maybe the right word for it is just ‘stupid’), in the most not nuanced definition of democratic possible. His first meeting with Batman is ICONIC because here he is, this street kid who… tries to boost the tyres off the Batmobile, hits Batman with a tyre iron when he’s caught, sasses him and runs away. And sasses him all over again when Batman catches up with him. Jason talks to Batman like he’s an equal - he doesn’t seem to have any sense of hierarchy

Jason Todd - I've only read Morrison's and Rebirth!Lobdell's take on him and not his Robin days, but I like him for Se lead, maybe SLE. Weak weak intuition, which I suppose is just another way he's the black sheep of the family. I'm not sure about instinctual subtype. Morrison writes him as kinda Sx/So and his Rebirth run seems to paint him as Sp/Sx. A non-stereotypical enneagram 4w3 with a strong 3 wing. Triple reactive (486).

Straight up: do not trust Morrison’s Jason. IIRC Morrison admitted himself he wasn’t a fan of Jason, and wanted to make him less popular when he wrote him - adding the ginger hair that was actually a part of pre-crisis continuity, not post-crisis, giving him the acne, and the horrible suit redesign Jason has no reason to change to. Morrison also directly contradicted a very important parts of Jason’s character. Jason is a crusader of the weak and easily taken advantage of because of his past as a street kid, and says himself he despises the idea of asking someone to “join him” in his war (I’m paraphrasing, but I believe Jason’s words were something like “if you want someone to work for you, just put him on the payroll!”). In this way, he disagrees fundamentally with Bruce’s method of recruiting. Yet under Morrison he takes advantage of a young girl in a state of extreme emotional vulnerability looking for something to cling onto by asking her to join him. Sry Morrison but I don’t see it

I don’t know about Lobdell’s N52!Jason because I read a few issues and decided I wasn’t a fan, but Lobdell’s Rebirth!Jason personally reads more as SEE more than SLE to me. I think he’s very incisive about the inner workings of the people around him. He can read people, he knows what they’re feeling, he can gauge changing psychological distance well. Not Fi-polr. Either way I can def get behind sp/sx for Rebirth.

I like Rebirth!Jason, but there are still things about him I don’t find quite right if we’re going to use Winick as a measuring stick (sorry Lobdell). There’s this notion of ‘Jason isn’t all that logical/goes with his gut more often than his brain’ that I think is supported very-much-so by Rebirth!Jason canon and that lends itself to a continued reading of Jason as SEE, but it’s a notion that existed even when the only written material on Jason was Winick’s material. And if we’re using Winick as a measuring stick and trying to establish continuity, it’s just… not true

I highly recommend Under The Red Hood. Winick is an incredible writer, and Jason’s story is heartbreaking. Great moments with Bruce and Dick as well! Winick’s Jason is very expressive, dramatic, VERY imbued with the drama of Beta NF. Many things he does, he does for the symbolism of it. It’s not enough that he plots Bruce’s death when he comes back, no. He plots it in Crime Alley because it’s beautiful to him that Crime Alley is the place that turned Bruce into Batman, and then Jason into Robin (Crime Alley was where they first met) and would become the place where Bruce would die at Jason's hand. He takes on the title of the Red Hood because Joker had been the Red Hood in the past and he wants to harness his most base fear - fear of the man who killed him - into something that empowers him, just as Bruce harnessed his most base fear of bats into something that empowered him. Almost mocking Batman's origin to himself, but it's more than that too. He plots months in advance with extreme intricacy and care to entrap Batman into a showdown with him and the Joker (and I have more to say about this but I’ll stop because I don’t want to spoil you more than I already have), not to accomplish something concrete but to accomplish something BEYOND concrete. Something existential.

Jason loves literature, Jason loves motifs, parallels, Jason plots and plots and plots, Jason is emotionally manipulative, time is Jason’s playground. The attached panels are from Green Arrow (written by Winick), not UTRH, but Jason appears in it and I think it says a LOT about the kind of person he is: http://imgur.com/a/6p7yE

To me, Winick's Jason is EIE EIE EIE. EIE forever, sx (soooo intense)/sp. so-last - he doesn't care about belonging or about fitting into something at all and doesn't crave it. He's a loner

Tim Drake - Having read a fair amount of Dixon Robin and some of Peter David's Young Justice run, I would veer sharply from Sp-last and hardcore into So/Sp. Very clumsy and awkward about expressing anything Sx. Would definitely agree on LII, although what little I've seen of him and Spoiler makes her seem more like his ESE dual. Enneagram type is phobic 6w5 (he even gets explicitly pointed out as the superego of the group in the 90s Young Justice comic!).

ESE is a great reading for Steph, I love it! And I love those panels

I think my reading of Tim’s origin story (written by Wolfman) is what keeps me away from sx-last Tim, but I can support sx-last Tim for readings of Teen Titans and/or Young Justice. Wolfman, though, wipes that all away, and I think Dixon stays pretty true to Wolfman, only with much more subtlety. Wolfman’s Tim is this incredibly sad, lonely, INTENSE kid with absentee parents whose life is so isolated that he develops an unhealthy obsession with a stranger (Dick Grayson) who gave him the warmth of a hug when he was 3 years old. Before he stepped into Bruce’s life (or, more accurately, forced his way into Bruce’s life) he fantasised about being Robin every day and pushed himself physically every day to serve nothing but a fantasy. He obsessed with Batman and Robin for years, snuck out of his home and followed them in the dead of the night for years, just to take candids of them. Tim is a detective, and he did figure out their identities, but that's not why he followed them every night - Tim followed them because he was in love

Another thing about Tim is that he always always always puts his needs last (hence why I think sp-last). He defines himself by his utility to others, what others' needs are, what he can do for others, what he can do for the mission. Tim is the rock of the family, the one who never makes any trouble because he doesn't want to trouble others, the moral support, the shoulder to cry on. Beyond being Robin, nothing is about his own wants or needs— they almost don’t exist. This results in him damaging himself and overextending himself for his others and for the mission. By Red Robin you see him ruthless with his body, ruthless with himself.

Tim’s a really interesting character for me because even though he wanted to be Robin so much, he was the most Batman-like and the least Robin-like of them all. I think he’s in the same predicament as Bruce— he needs to be needed. But Bruce needs to be needed because it gives his mission a face. Tim needs to be needed because he craves a place to belong, he craves love, he craves affection. But he fears rejection, subconsciously he doesn’t think he deserves these things, subconsciously he doesn't think he's important, and that's why part of why being Robin is so important to him - he gets purpose, he gives up something in exchange for a place to belong. We are dealing with a boy whose main concern when he got fired was 'will I still get to hang out with everyone?'

So in the end I think sx/so. Or so/sx. Either way, sp-last

Damien - Hard for me to tell with what I've read of him. In any case he's really got incredibly weak command of his ethical functions. Maybe ILI for Damien. The spitting image of his father.

I’m pretty confident he’s SLE even though I’m not interested in him. I would disagree here and say I don’t think Damian and Bruce are similar. Bruce is cold, calculating, all about thinking ten steps ahead and ending the fight. He doesn’t ever fight more than he has to— when he’s cruel it’s often a byproduct of a personal tragedy he’s suffered (e.g. Jason’s death) that has little to do with the thug in front of him, it’s rarely to prove a point to who he’s fighting. Rarely to prove he’s better. And the Batman itself isn’t a power fantasy— Batman is ~scary~ and has the Bat emblem all over his things because it provides a cold, tactical edge of sending a message and perpetuating a mythos that drives crime rates down. That’s all. Bruce is all about efficiency, the end-product.

Damian is extremely aggressive and short-sighted. Robin, for Damian, IS a power fantasy. Batman is a power fantasy. He’s Beta to the core - aristocracy out the whazoo, thinks of hierarchy in terms of power, analyses that hierarchy to figure out where he fits, picks and chooses who he’s kind to (Bruce, Alfred, Dick) and who he’s cruel to (Tim) based on how much power and leverage he believes they hold within that hierarchy, whether he sees them as above him or below him. Whatever Fi connections existed in the family before his arrival is something he's both blind to and doesn't care about— he is the heir apparent by blood. That and that alone means the throne is his.

Also, of course, Damian and Dick get along very well, and Dick's unique approach works very well for Damian. Maybe Damian could be LSI?

-

Batgirl/Oracle (Barbara Gordon) - Not sure and have never read anything solo from her, but seems to be a logical type. I almost get an LSE vibe from her?

I get a Te-base vibe too!

Batgirl (Cassandra Cain) - I've only read a little bit of her in No-Man's Land but I get a little bit of a Fi vibe. EII?

If we’re going for Fi-ego I’d go with ESI. Definitely not Se-polr (unlike Tim, who is Se-polr and says ‘sorry’ to thugs when he hits them).
    Last edited by yifflord; 05-02-2017 at 09:45 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*moves Under the Red Hood and A Lonely Place of Dying up on my list of comics to buy*

Hmm, you convinced me on a lot of those. Think I'll revise:

Batman: Same as before
    Dick Grayson: Same as before
    Jason Todd: SEE Sp/Sx
    Tim Drake: So-dom rather than necessarily So/Sp
    Damien: LSI
    Cassandra: No idea what I was thinking with a Se-PoLR type for her, ESI as my low-information guess

And some comments:

Quote Originally Posted by yifflord View Post
    Batman as I see him is very similar to how you see him - a man stuck in a single moment in time. Obsessive, brooding, cold, incredibly lonely but riddled with a paranoia that’s so deafening that it doesn’t allow him to trust anyone enough to let them in… except, of course, the children in his care who owe their life to him. Who need him. Batman needs to be needed.
    Yeah, exactly.

EIE/ILI supervision also lends itself to the strife of the Bruce-and-Dick dynamic. Dick has a keen understanding of Bruce but he’s always trying to charge him up with his Fe, always desperate for an energy in Bruce that Bruce can’t give him. It’s the cause of so much of their friction.
    *nods*

Straight up: do not trust Morrison’s Jason. IIRC Morrison admitted himself he wasn’t a fan of Jason, and wanted to make him less popular when he wrote him - adding the ginger hair that was actually a part of pre-crisis continuity, not post-crisis, giving him the acne, and the horrible suit redesign Jason has no reason to change to.
    aw I enjoyed it

I don’t know about Lobdell’s N52!Jason because I read a few issues and decided I wasn’t a fan, but Lobdell’s Rebirth!Jason personally reads more as SEE more than SLE to me. I think he’s very incisive about the inner workings of the people around him. He can read people, he knows what they’re feeling, he can gauge changing psychological distance well. Not Fi-polr. Either way I can def get behind sp/sx for Rebirth.
    Good point, good point. Most of my SLE thoughts came from Morrison but I think Rebirth!Jason's the better way to go here. I agree with your observations about Fi and I especially like your comment about him being Batman's dual. Their natural camrederie I think let Batman's guard down significantly in the past and makes their current relationship all the more painful. Switching to SEE.

I also agree that I see a strong love of, nay, obsession with symbols with Jason, which is part of the reason why I do NOT type him as EIE. He seems fascinated by Ni in a Super-Id way rather than a "business as usual" way you'd see with a Ni ego. Jason's Ni is very heavy on the flourish, which doesn't stop it from being insightful but does make it a lot more ostentatious.

(Tim) defines himself by his utility to others, what others' needs are, what he can do for others, what he can do for the mission. Tim is the rock of the family, the one who never makes any trouble because he doesn't want to trouble others, the moral support, the shoulder to cry on. Beyond being Robin, nothing is about his own wants or needs— they almost don’t exist.
    Incidentially, all of this factors into why I type him as 6w5. I know you aren't familiar with Enneagram, but 6 is a member of the compliant triad (126) which is pretty much solid Tim:

People whose dominant Social Style is the compliant style are responsible, dedicated and want to do what's expected of them. They will do what they believe is best, even if it means sacrificing their own wants. They are committed to their promises, working hard to finish what they said they would do. They have a hard time relaxing or playing, because there is always work to do (and they would feel guilty resting when there is work to do). They have a sense of being a little superior to others, although this characteristic is very subtle. Under stress, they seek advice from their conscience to determine the right thing to do.

These people work great in groups where the rules or procedures are agreed upon. Within that structure, they work tirelessly.

These people are out of touch with their inner guidance. The inner guidance is a mental quality which effortlessly observes and understands what to believe and what to do. To compensate for this imbalance, these people seek belief systems or rules to help them deal with ambiguity and uncertainty. They consult their rules and beliefs to define their position on issues.

These people try to obey internalized rules and principles to get what they want.

I might've typed him as So/Sp from some of what I perceived as a reticent nature rather than true Sp. In any case he's very much a So-dom and I wouldn't type him as Sx/So at all.

We are dealing with a boy whose main concern when he got fired was 'will I still get to hang out with everyone?'
    This is So-dom as hell, for instance (although I don't think I see/want to see yet what you're referring to).

By the way, I'm really hyped for when I feel like I've read enough to embark upon Red Robin. I bought some issues on Comixology around a year ago because I was curious about Tim, but I got a few pages in and realized I really wanted to see his earlier career first. I've still got a lot to work through, though!

Also, of course, Damian and Dick get along very well, and Dick's unique approach works very well for Damian. Maybe Damian could be LSI?
    Now this I like. He feels too... judgy for SLE but the idea of him and Grayson as Beta duals makes way too much sense. He responds a lot better to Dick Grayson's Fe than Bruce Wayne's Fi as well.

Tim, who is Se-polr and says ‘sorry’ to thugs when he hits them
    Ha, I love how Dixon writes Tim's fight scenes. Tim's fighting style reflects his personality even down to the weapon. He's patient and focuses on controlling the arena and the space (hence the staff) rather than on directly dishing out damage. Why jump with your own force when you can vault yourself from higher ground? It's all very tactical.
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spiderman better
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stellafera View Post
    *moves Under the Red Hood and A Lonely Place of Dying up on my list of comics to buy*
    Yay!!! I'm so glad They're amazing. Btw, if you want a good place to read comics ~for free~ online, I use readcomiconline.to
    I personally own ALPoD and UTRH, but I read them online first to see if I would like them

I'm kind of lazy so I'm going to just type up my responses and hope you can see where they align to what you've written.

- Please enjoy Morrison! I'm a big fan of Morrison myself (when it comes to other things), and if your first exposure to Jason was Morrison there's no reason why you wouldn't like it. Morrison doesn't write Jason badly because it's a bad characterisation in-and-of-itself, it's bad because it's completely contradictory to previous established canon which you haven't been exposed to
    - What obsession w/ symbolism have you been exposed to in terms of Jason? I didn't really notice anything EIE-ish outside of Winick's run. But I do associate ostentatious Ni with a lot of Ni-heavy super villains that I type as beta NF, and I did think UTRH was very much that. It's not just the symbolism that compels me to type Winick's Jason as EIE, though - but you are going to have to read UTRH to see what I mean! (and then decide if you agree or not)
    - I'M SORRY, SPOILERS (if that's what you meant by 'although I don't think I see/want to see yet what you're referring to')
    - Ooh, that's interesting! I may get around to Enneagram eventually and that might change my mind about Tim. But for now I guess I still see this intense desire to not so much seek out connections actively but to have other people reach out to him in him? And be really desperate for that in a way that isn't sx-last. I feel like all the fucked up parts of him that hide himself and distance himself from others are adaptions that he developed as a resulting of being under Bruce's extremely paranoid tutelage, not features of his persona that are more inherent to him. Whereas I don't see how he (using socionics colloquialisms here) 'values' sp at all, and that's always been a thing for him, even before Bruce (EDIT: WOOPS totally missed the part where you were no longer insisting on sp-last Tim, sorry!! So-first fo sho, I agree with so/sx)
    - I haven't scrutinised Tim as written by Beechen but I would personally skim the hell out of Willingham. It's like he popped out of another planet. Grant is great, btw, I forgot to mention him - it's going to be a bit of a chore to seek out but Grant writes Tim's Haiti arc in Tec Comics if you haven't read that yet
    Last edited by yifflord; 05-06-2017 at 02:20 PM.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ALSO: Red Robin was also my first exposure to a Tim-centric comic! And actually my first exposure to comics full stop. I haven't gone back to read Red Robin yet (still working my way through rereading Dixon) but I've sort of ~glimpsed~ at his stuff and from what I can tell, Yost is a very subtle writer who really makes you work to understand the pain underlying his very peppily written RR run.

I don't know how I am going to feel about FabNic's run, tho. :| At least the Unternet costume is nice