Thread: Is Si also an appreciation for aesthetics/beauty?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is Si also an appreciation for aesthetics/beauty?

Do you think that Si doms and creatives are primarily visual learners and that leads to their appreciation for things that are natural and beautiful?
    Last edited by Iwantpeace; 09-07-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Jobs... Si PoLR and still cared a lot about aesthetics.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The observation skill also goes together with . But in a nutshell, determines beauty based on how harmonious something appears to them, or how harmonious things interact. Appreciation comes through , the utility through . Mental snapshots and visual learning - I'm not too sure, I guess any type could have a talent for this technique. @Slugabed watchu thinking?

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I dont know if I take aesthetics more seriously than a Fi user, talking about beauty or art; but for sure I take information through 5 senses and I relate with the external world through it. So what I hear, see, smell, taste and touch is important. "Depriving" or having control over my own senses (my physical body) is good to me, since being introverted I like enjoying sensing experiences by my own and saving energy, having contact with the world on an extroverted way is extremely draining for me (having to talk, or being forced to invest my senses without introspection). So, for sure some people can see it as "aesthetics" but I'd just say that it is introverted sensing (experiencing things by my own).

About learning, I'm more a kinestesic learner than visual learner, guess. I mean, I don't learn just by watching, I learn when I'm able to put hands on and do it by myself and investing my 5 senses on it. Using just a single sense is not really useful to learn for me. I've read more or less the same experiences of fellows istps. They learn through hands on and practice and are motivated by expertise, some of them even drop things once they have already learned it.

I was really bad at school for the same reason. School is basically visual and auditory learning. If I'm not using at least 3 senses I can't keep attention for more than 30 minutes, and I'm extremely bad at storing information from one source like I forgot about the books I read or the movies I watch for example (no joke). That's why I enjoy sensorial stuff guess, all is kinda new to me always.

If I cant see a practical use for something and I don't have the opportunity of putting hands on and doing it for myself I wont learn it. I'm awful at lessons and I feel demotivated too quickly and I demotivate teachers as well. No need to mention that school was extremely boring and depressing for me (deprived of real sensorial experiences). Of course what I enjoyed was art class…I've the opportunity to move my body and use my senses together (observe, hearing, touching, smelling…) . I especially like to use my senses in complicated stuff, like observing people, animals, plants or special effects on movies. Also hearing "complicated" or elaborated music (music that goes on layers); same with tasting overly spiced food, or contrasting flavors in the same meal, etc.

So yeah...I dont know if aesthetics are really important (or what are you referring with aesthetics), but my sensing experiences are important, and I learn through hands on, practice and basically by my own or with few guidance and a lot of freedom. Watching people doing stuff or hearing them talk is not the way I learn.
    Last edited by Hope; 04-27-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    "All nations will place their hope in him."
    (Mt 12:21)

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunno, I'm very attentive to aesthetics. I think the basic interest in visuals is unrelated to type, but the form it takes can be type-related.

Here's my perspective, for instance, as an IEI. I see all of the different visual elements of the world around me creating some sort of effect. Fashion is a great example; fashion-conscious people can put out very specific kinds of images depending on how they dress. I find it very easy to understand how color can affect mood, etc. For example, why connect the color blue to truth? Okay, sure, the original phrase "true blue" referred to colored dyes, but there's other connections to make. Blue has a combined steely quality and simplicity. Blue is a common man's color, it's a primary color. There's an earnest simplicity to it. This use of blue would have been incredibly out of place, of course, thousands of years ago in Ancient Egypt when blue dyes were incredibly expensive and signified nobility. Blue and purple dyes were expensive for a long time. Purple still has that connotation.

I get confused by things like formal flower meanings because they have fallen out of favor and I thus have little connection with them emotionally aside from the obvious rose. But in the Victorian era, the visual cue of a certain bouquet of flowers could speak of an idea of an emotion, more than just a mere word. Visuals have power as symbols. Of course, they also can just look nice, and that's a principle of visual balance, texture, etc. that is very hard to pin down. But I think I have a creative perspective the moment I get to thinking about aesthetics in any real depth.
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Steve Jobs... Si PoLR and still cared a lot about aesthetics.
    Is steve jobs LIE? Or EIE?

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHiddenJack View Post
    Is steve jobs LIE? Or EIE?
    Majority of typings I've seen point to EIE. Check his thread --> here.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Different combinations of information elements create differet ways for appreciating beauty and artistic expression, which has led to attempts to classify art by quadra: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ents-by-Quadra

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Aesthetic appreciation varies, partly based on type and partly otherwise. Diff-nt types evaluate/value diff-nt aspects.

One SEI friend had trouble attending a weekly event because the slides used in the powerpoint were, I paraphrase, a nasty gradient of blue to yellow. The colours were admittedly strident and badly matched but aside from some judgy feelings I didn't really mind, whereas the SEI felt unable to attend at all due to the discomfort. They didn't phrase it in terms of aesthetic ideals (which I might have); they visibly struggled to put to words a sense of visceral wrongness.

Incidentally, @Stellafera, blue was historically strongly associated with the Virgin Mary in Christianity around UK, France, etc. area, and thus with purity, modesty, all sorts of virtues, and most likely with truthfulness. Whether in the sense of fidelity, or the sense of literal answers, or in the sense of striving for 'truer' ideals: who knows. Probably all of them, depending on the theologian.
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post
    Incidentally, @Stellafera, blue was historically strongly associated with the Virgin Mary in Christianity around UK, France, etc. area, and thus with purity, modesty, all sorts of virtues, and most likely with truthfulness. Whether in the sense of fidelity, or the sense of literal answers, or in the sense of striving for 'truer' ideals: who knows. Probably all of them, depending on the theologian.
    I probably should've specified that aside from the historical stuff I was referring to how I viscerally feel the blue=true connection, but that's really neat. The more you know...
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Majority of typings I've seen point to EIE. Check his thread --> here.
    Danke

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

no, Jung attributed beauty to Ni

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHiddenJack View Post
    Danke
    Bitte schön!

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Si is more about internal harmony than external harmony. Overall i'd say si polrs are much better with aesthetics. Like for example a very campy stereotype might be 'seis know how to cook' but cooking is an eternally logical skill (as well as a feeling artform) that they might be too lazy to bother with and instead just buy lunch meat at kroger from the deli.

si is like internal harmony with others. just harmony without all the froth. Don't think of harmony with any Fe concepts attached to it (they're not IEIs) but just harmony. This makes you an incredibly good manipulator so never underestimate a SEI. Ever.