Thread: Stress, Depression, and Distorted IEs

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stress, Depression, and Distorted IEs

I've noticed that in times of stress or depression, people tend to experience changes and distortions in one or more areas. For example, one person might suddenly become hypersensitive in the area of relationships, another might become bothered by the idea of wasted potential or lack of talent, and another might become afraid of the future or feel like time moves too fast. In my case, the first change I noticed when entering a period of stress was that my sense of time seemed to be broken, it no longer flowed the way it normally did and I felt like everything had to happen at once, I couldn't be patient anymore.

Could there be anything type related about which IEs become distorted in times of stress or depression? I'm curious if anyone has any theories, or stories to share about which IE became distorted for them or someone else and what type that person is.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I fret about my relationships when I'm under stress no matter what the initial/primary stressor is. Could work with my base fx.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Distortion comes from attempts at weaker elements to adapt to the stress that can't be handled by ego functions, or super ego block concerns in general.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

isptn...stress has the same kind of effect for me. I feel like I need to do everything NOW or NEVER.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Distortion comes from attempts at weaker elements to adapt to the stress that can't be handled by ego functions, or super ego block concerns in general.
    That makes sense as a theory, but interestingly, the responses so far have all mentioned distortions of strong functions. Would be interesting to see if this trend continues as more people respond.

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Relationship sensitivity, more negative and irritable, losing touch with myself, and feeling like time is running out/there isn't enough time to do XYZ.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Areas of stress: Need to be in the moment is one. I suck at it. It carries over to other areas. Ability to be plugged in fully and in your body... While I can be somewhat effective, I tend to miss details. My brain works backwards compared to others. It's stressful when others say: reverse it.
    Certain types view this as super rude behavior and others giggle. It's not really stressful though.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by unsuccessfull Alphamale View Post
    Areas of stress: Need to be in the moment is one. I suck at it. It carries over to other areas. Ability to be plugged in fully and in your body... While I can be somewhat effective, I tend to miss details. My brain works backwards compared to others. It's stressful when others say: reverse it.
    Certain types view this as super rude behavior and others giggle. It's not really stressful though.
    I wasn't really asking about typical areas of stress and weaknesses, which would more clearly come from weak functions. I mean areas of distortion, as in a change from normally perceiving the area to developing some kind of distorted perception, irrationality, or hypersensitivity. The distortion is not necessarily the cause of stress but some kind of malfunction that tends to happen when you are under chronic or serious stress.

For example, it's one thing to say you're bad at being in the body and aware of details, and that too much expectation to focus on these areas can cause stress as it's difficult. But it's another entirely to say that during episodes of severe stress or depression, you tend to develop hypochondria and worry irrationally about physical sensations, or have bodily illusions where you perceive or magnify pain simply by overfocusing on a sensation.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by isptn View Post
    I've noticed that in times of stress or depression, people tend to experience changes and distortions in one or more areas. For example, one person might suddenly become hypersensitive in the area of relationships, another might become bothered by the idea of wasted potential or lack of talent, and another might become afraid of the future or feel like time moves too fast. In my case, the first change I noticed when entering a period of stress was that my sense of time seemed to be broken, it no longer flowed the way it normally did and I felt like everything had to happen at once, I couldn't be patient anymore.

Could there be anything type related about which IEs become distorted in times of stress or depression? I'm curious if anyone has any theories, or stories to share about which IE became distorted for them or someone else and what type that person is.
    I completely lose the ability to see another perspective (which was never very strong to begin with - Ne PoLR). My thinking will become too introverted and will be more resistant to working with completely new areas (because it becomes more difficult to take facts to process them and organize enough of them - Ti lead vs Te ignoring). All in all, my thinking (my Logic/Ti) will be very very stuck in one direction and it becomes harder to switch the thinking process to another, very new process. Also, I'll be more irritable (expressed through Se creative more).

So for me - Base/Ego and PoLR seem affected mostly. The PoLR issue can be seen from the pov of Ego, too, in terms of how changes there would affect how the PoLR is dealt with.

Now this is assuming stress where the ego integrity is still kept. Nothing crazy extreme where ego integrity is lost/gets disintegrated (non-socionics ego but the ego concept in some other psychological theories kind of lines up with the concept of Ego block in Socionics).

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That makes sense as a theory, but interestingly, the responses so far have all mentioned distortions of strong functions. Would be interesting to see if this trend continues as more people respond.
    I feel like you "feel it" through your primary functions (ego), but its actually rooted in what chae says. its like it bubbles up. stress is mostly your unconscious functions having trouble and you feel it via base and try to "solve it" via creative, hence the urge to "do sometihng now or never" for LIE but it may be actually be a deep Fi or Si issue or some such. an IEI may for instance, experience a Te failure as "people are going to hate me"--they feel the Fe stress in the future coming, but its really a Te problem (IEI experiences stress as Fe "dread"), but they dont think of it in explicitly Te terms, rather they experience it in Fe terms, but its probably an actual Te issue bubbling up from the unconscious onto the conscious "stage". I feel like in this way both you and Chae are capturing a real part of the puzzle

a lot of what differentiates regular stress from like acute depressive episodes would be a deepening feedback cycle that spirals downward. so like it may be a Te problem, but one experiences it as Fe then can't see a solution in those terms, despite relative high level of proficiency, so it gets kicked back down to Te, which cant handle it because of low proficiency and general unwillingness to adapt, back up to Fe etc etc, that actual process of back and forth is a special kind of hell that gives off the "general" feeling of stress everyone understands regardless of ego. its a lot like "mind racing" or being "under attack" and ultimately exhaustion or surrender

interesting is in the case of quasi identicals, like its the difference between "this is a real threat to my relationships" vs "this is definitely going to piss so and so off" (Ne/Fi v Ni/Fe)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    I feel like you "feel it" through your primary functions (ego), but its actually rooted in what chae says. its like it bubbles up. stress is mostly your unconscious functions having trouble and you feel it via base and try to "solve it" via creative, hence the urge to "do sometihng now or never" for LIE but it may be actually be a deep Fi or Si issue or some such.
    Well I was more talking about external, unexpected stress, not chronic...
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the mechanics are near instantaneous, its only the deepening that can occur over long periods, if not resolved. so like unexpectedly getting stuck in traffic on the way to something important; the information will metabolize in this way (consistent with type, assuming an accurate typing of course), giving a way to understand the different first hand phenomenological experiences of "stress" through the lens of personality typology

in other words, it doesn't have to be some ongoing long term repressed lurking issue

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, just keep your emotions in check. If your feeling irrational, it's usually always because of some emotions you've tricked yourself into thinking of as logic.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I made a list of the IPIP-NEO Neurotic trait that possibly best represents each base IM:

Extroverted Intuition:

N5: IMMODERATION (Impulsiveness)
    Often eat too much.
    Don't know why I do some of the things I do.
    Do things I later regret.
    Go on binges.
    Love to eat.

Extroverted Thinking, and Introverted Thinking:

N2: ANGER (Angry Hostility)
    Get angry easily.
    Get irritated easily.
    Get upset easily.
    Am often in a bad mood.
    Lose my temper.

Introverted Sensing, and Extroverted Sensing:

N6: VULNERABILITY
    Panic easily.
    Become overwhelmed by events.
    Feel that I'm unable to deal with things.
    Can't make up my mind.
    Get overwhelmed by emotions.

Introverted Feeling, and Extroverted Feeling:

N4: SELF-CONSCIOUSNESS
    Am easily intimidated.
    Am afraid that I will do the wrong thing.
    Find it difficult to approach others.
    Am afraid to draw attention to myself.
    Only feel comfortable with friends.
    Stumble over my words.

Introverted Intuition:

N1: ANXIETY
    Worry about things.
    Fear for the worst.
    Am afraid of many things.
    Get stressed out easily.
    Get caught up in my problems.

(Intuition is correlated with Openness, which is somewhat correlated with Immoderation/Impulsiveness according to one study: I don't see why Immoderation and Vulnerability could not both fit and . I don't know in actuality if -base types tend binge more when stressed, or if in fact they actually tend to neglect to eat at all).

(Extroverted Feeling is only weakly correlated with Self-Consciousness, because Agreeableness is correlated with that trait. But is perhaps negatively correlated with the other five of the IPIP-NEO neurotic facets).

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    You know, just keep your emotions in check. If your feeling irrational, it's usually always because of some emotions you've tricked yourself into thinking of as logic.
    Er how do you do the latter? Example for it?

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I made a list of the IPIP-NEO Neurotic trait that possibly best represents each base IM:
    Hm. I scored low-ish on immoderation. Very low on vulnerability and anxiety. Middle/average for self-consciousness. Very high on the anger thing however. So I partially fit your theory I guess.

(I have a low neuroticism score overall. Just the trait of anger is the exception from that.)

Btw where did you get the statements for each trait? Link?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    Hm. I scored low-ish on immoderation. Very low on vulnerability and anxiety. Middle/average for self-consciousness. Very high on the anger thing however. So I partially fit your theory I guess.

(I have a low neuroticism score overall. Just the trait of anger is the exception from that.)

Btw where did you get the statements for each trait? Link?
    Here and here, ultimately.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't know how to answer your question the way you want sorry but whenever I'm stressed what helps the most is simply talking about it IRL to somebody I trust. Usually this is just my mommy =p but uhhh just getting it off my chest helps so much more than I think it would. I feel better, lighter and not as 'heavy' like I'm carrying a bunch of crap around. The stress is meant to get out of my body the way turds are meant to come out of my gay male shithole whenever I take a dump.

There was this video I really liked on how men are conditioned to be oh so stoic and keep EVERYTHING IN and just bear everything and just tank everything life throws at us and never talk about our feelings or experiences and just be in manly heroic service to everybody at all times and I think that's so retarded. I don't care if in a lot of people's eyes it makes me less of a man, I am going to rant about something I don't like to get it off my chest (like a little bitch) so I can feel better and happier and studies have shown men are much healthier and better/more well-adjusted when we are encouraged to talk about our feelings rather than the opposite. LeL we encourage men to be constipated and repressive then shame them when they inevitably blow up and do something stupid.
    Last edited by Hot Scalding Gayser; 06-23-2017 at 01:18 AM.

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depression simply implies a distorted understanding of events compared to your previous perception. It's just a reference point which is very prone to giving you a sense of emptiness and lack, which often translate into people wanting to free themselves from their physical existence (dying). Since thoughts are not a direct manifestation of the functions, we can't say that it's really a result of any of them, but just your general beliefs about life, which of course have a base function perception.
    I can guess that if you could get rid of your understanding of the situations you're going through, you could definitely get rid of depression. Because even if your physical presence is in a configuration that is considered unhealthy by other humans, it doesn't mean you should take that as truth, and just live with whatever configuration you are given and presented in your consciousness.
    Simple awareness of whatever comes to your mind without judgments can help you overcome taking harmful action
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Depression is a suppression. To help people to hold and think better, more critically about what happens, to make better decisions.
    A part of this should be more attention to weaker functions contents. The most arised activity in the consciousness may happen for most ignored - weak nonvalued functions. The link here is bi-directional - more activity for weak nonvalued functions will predispose to depressive symptoms. To deal with weaker functions is better through their valued variants.
    During a depressive state distortions exist in all functions with the aim to suppress the activity. But in other parts or in sum, the info is processed with better quality (if to exclude the influence of lesser productivity).

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    I fret about my relationships when I'm under stress no matter what the initial/primary stressor is. Could work with my base fx.
    I worry about my relationships too

I recount end re-examine everything that goes bad trying to make sense of all the details
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html