Thread: Advice on stress for blurry future [LIE problem]

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Advice on stress for blurry future [LIE problem]

as an 18 year old female ENTj living in the middle east, finding opportunities and jobs is very difficult, so since I was little I have decided to move to Europe after getting my bachelor in computer engineering and study masters abroad while working a student job or get funds from universities in Germany ,etc.
    while being a beginner in programming and a competitive type, i have felt like i should know everything about everything and am lacking in time, but also no time to pay attention to actual studies since i have been researching and paying attention to intellectual development in fields of politics, history, literature, etc. it is in my mind very very important living in an Islamic republic, to teach yourself these things, since nobody will teach you, and you will be blind all your life.
    it seems in difficult situations in life or when i am betrayed by a friend, i boycott every human being in my life, as i have seen other LIEs do also.
    i should have a good GPA but i am distracted by how much information there is to know and am angry at how women are treated in engineering faculties in my country.
    what would one suggest to a LIE in such a situation?
    have you been in a similar situation? what was your strategy for keeping a clear head?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

First of all, I applaud your intention of moving to a better situation. I have always tried to do that myself, and if I have any regrets, they are in not knowing who I was, and therefore not being able to move to the very best situation available at every stage in my life.

Paying attention to your intellectual development in the fields of politics, history, and literature is a good thing to do. Personally, I found most literature in school to be a waste of time, but that was almost certainly because I wasn’t ready to listen to what the authors were saying. You might be more ready than I was.
    Politics is something you can understand by reading a few good texts. It is important to realize that all aspects of politics serve the interests of the rich, including the part where the politicians tell you that anyone can be president if you work hard to support the present system and that your politicians are working for you. Lol.
    A good book on politics is Power by Steven Lukes.
    History can be interesting from the standpoint that, while it doesn’t exactly repeat, it does show you some of the crazy things which have happened in the past and can therefore happen again. My first good history book was A Preface to History, by Carl G. Gustavson, which is out of print but is worth tracking down for its chapter on revolution. Also good is The Collapse of Complex Societies by Tainter, and Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond.
    Personally, I was (and am) more interested in Sociology. Books like The Spirit Level actually tell me how society optimally works.
    You can probably take classes in these topics on the side while you are in your advanced degree program.
    Try to find the best teachers you can, and try to go to the best school you can get into. The best schools will present information to you in a way that lesser schools will not. They will actually tell you how to think about certain problems. They are training the future world dominators, not the worker drones, and the important information and its manner of presentation are different for the two groups.

As for going into hiding when you have interpersonal setbacks, I do that, too. It probably has to do with the fact that LIE’s are not the greatest processors of ethical events in the socion, and we might need to take some time to figure out what happened.

Don’t worry about how much information there is to know. Just work on being able to pick up what you need, when you need it.

As for women being discriminated against in engineering, yes, that’s pretty much a given. In my experience, engineers are the group most prejudiced against women engineers, no matter how talented they are. Engineers tend to be Delta ST types and are very traditional. (As an LIE, you should be able to eventually transcend this group, mainly through your good grasp of future planning for the organization.) I knew a female engineer who rose very quickly and very high in General Motors because they had quotas to fill, and you might be able to use that, but it won’t make your coworkers respect you more. For that reason, I would suggest you plan to get a basic education in engineering but also get a lot of business and finance knowledge, because the only way you are going to get the respect you deserve in a technical field is to run the division or the company. And a business runs on money.

I recommend getting job experience in several small companies in different fields while you are in school. This will help you with your studies, and your studies will help with your work. Working for different companies will give you broad experience, which can be incredibly valuable in work and life.

As for keeping a clear head, don’t do drugs and keep the drinking to a minimum. (If either of these things made you more fit for life, you would have evolved to be drunk or high all the time.) Find a good mentor if you can, someone who is willing to share their experience and show you how things are done. The optimum mentor would be an older LIE, preferably female, but any mentor is better than no mentor.
    Personally, I was amazed when I observed older LIE’s in the workplace. I had no idea people could do things like that. I observed both the good things they did for inspiration for my own actions and the bad things they did as cautionary tales for what not to do.

I would also recommend finding one or two close friends to confide in. Any friend is good, but a dual is probably best, because they will most likely pick up the phone when you call, and you will need that.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Adam Strange First of all thank you for your reply and sorry that I forgot to reply after I read it and saw it again now.

The thing you mentioned about not knowing yourself well enough to act accordingly when the opportunity arises is one of my biggest concerns since I have heard other LIEs say the exact same thing and I also kind of envy people who know themselves and their needs well enough to take a path and focus on it intensely, or maybe they don't know themselves and that is why they focus on that path only. LIE focus seems to want to be everywhere at the same time and expect to do each part perfectly as well and impress everyone! and we become so mad at ourselves when we fail at this almost impossible task!

about trying to get into the best schools which I can get into, I kind of failed at that. There aren't many good universities in Iran and the best ones are in the capital city "Tehran" but in my entrance exam my score was enough for a university in my own city, which is ranked 6th in my country in computer engineering. It is a very uncomfortable environment and difficult situation. the clothing ethics, the way people treat females, there aren't many opportunities, and I have to stay with my parents which is basically a nightmare but all this I go through hoping to get through it and find myself somewhere in the world where I can be treated the way I deserve.

"picking up what you need when you need it" is great, need to pay attention to that and tell Ni to shut up sometimes
    but Ni helped me learn English and German since I thought language skills I will surely need in my life later on, if I want to become a citizen of the world!

About having small jobs in companies while I am still a student that is the main problem. There are no jobs! even for graduates, the jobs are given to unskilled people for reasons common in the third world countries, I use my language knowledge to translate articles to Persian for example but the pay is little and it takes a lot of my time as a student. My LSI father doesn't pay for things he personally doesn't think are necessary, buying books and software and even internet! he talks about technology but never uses it himself.

I don't do drugs and I don't drink, alcohol is illegal and drugs are a waste of time and solve nothing. I have just recently met an LIE professor who is willing to be helped with his projects and I should actively follow his activities while I am here, to gain reputation, and I know that he can actually do something, with his encyclopedic knowledge, but then again the gender segregation is so huge here that I can't get to know him as for example a mentor, I can observe him from afar and learn but can't go deeper than the professor-student interaction and learn from his experiences.

I have recently found two close friends. One I'm sure is LSE but the other might be EII. They are both very clever, but the clever people are also depressed, since they see more, and feel stuck, feel like their skills, potentials, talents are being wasted, and a lot of our time is spent solving knots instead of improving and seeing the future. They both have their own big problems mostly related to their families and how they treat them as girls, it is a very huge topic, i won't waste your time, but it is also most people's problem.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there no programs for a semester abroad or such?
    Ftr, europe isn't in a great shape at the moment.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Are there no programs for a semester abroad or such?
    Ftr, europe isn't in a great shape at the moment.
    The problem is that I also need to find a job abroad since my father does not support me. And there are great countries for engineers such as germany, switzerland, the netherlands, etc

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    The problem is that I also need to find a job abroad since my father does not support me. And there are great countries for engineers such as germany, switzerland, the netherlands, etc
    Yeah, sure, but competition from EU people (which need no visa) is pretty fierce at the moment...if I were you I'd rather look at australia canada and such. Just my two cents. (I work in switzerland and live in germany)

I think you first need to change environment for a while, even just 3 months, even doing something completely different than engineering. You'll come back with a much clearer head and more determination, I think. That's what works for me at least, perhaps it can help you as well.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah, sure, but competition from EU people (which need no visa) is pretty fierce at the moment...if I were you I'd rather look at australia canada and such. Just my two cents. (I work in switzerland and live in germany)

I think you first need to change environment for a while, even just 3 months, even doing something completely different than engineering. You'll come back with a much clearer head and more determination, I think. That's what works for me at least, perhaps it can help you as well.
    Well that can be discussed about everywhere you could say since Trump got elected many Americans are moving to Canada and competition there is intense so one shouldn't think about that. While it is not true
    Yes you are totally right but where is there to go? Parents are very strict, they wouldn't approve at all if I suggest to get away for 3 months. However it is a great idea for LIE