Thread: US - North Korea Tensions Rising

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default US - North Korea Tensions Rising

I don't like where this is going to be honest. There could possibly be a potential war with the US brewing in either Syria or North Korea based on current events:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-no...-idUSKBN17D0A4

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/10/politi...-capabilities/

I'm kind of curious to what people think of current world affairs and where they could be headed.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump seems like the type of putz that won't think things through and will start pointless conflicts, so I won't be surprised if he causes death and mayhem in those parts of the world. If Trump does attack North Korea, Seoul will probably be levelled within five minutes considering all of the artillery North Korea has aimed at it.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Reminds me of a song.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The US attacking North Korea would probably actually be winnable this time around, because NK probably wouldn't have the assistance of China this time, and there is an even great disparity in the quality of their weapons.

There will undoubtedly be an issue with Kamikaze manoeuvres in defense of their cult leader/god, but the transition towards a functioning state would probably be much easier than states with deep religious divides and religious fundamentalists going round blowing everything up.

But I would be deeply troubled of course about the potentially global consequences of kicking up that hornet's nest.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Trump just dropped a bomb second only to a nuclear bomb in terms of power on Afghanistan targeting ISIS:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-d...on-afghanistan

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/do...-a7683221.html

It's almost as if Trump is doing his best to provoke World War 3. I'd be surprised if the US didn't end up invading at least one country in Donald Trump's first term.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I know is that it can get nasty easily. NK won't back down, they seem the sort of people who won't get intimidated by the US, despite the latter's superiority. China have said they might not support NK on this, but I have a feeling they're only saying that to appease the US and warn NK to not escalate things. If things got worse, I don't see China aligning themselves with the US. Now, Russia is not okay with the war in Syria, and has been a traditional ally of China. I could see WWIII starting over this conflict. For one, it would serve for the US to see the reality of how much they are appreciated in the world, when they are left on their own.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. Korea to strike US bases in Asian Pacific & S. Korean presidential palace if US attacks

North Korea will strike US military bases in Japan and South Korea, as well as the South Korean president’s residence in Seoul, if America engages in aggression against Pyongyang, North Korea’s General Staff warned, according to state news agency KCNA.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Professor Stephen Cohen: This is Most Dangerous Moment in U.S.-Russian Relations Since Cuban Missile Crisis

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has wrapped up a visit to Moscow, where he met with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov. The meetings come at a time of increased tension between Washington and Moscow. On Wednesday during a press conference, President Trump said relations with Russia had reached a new low point. Trump’s comments came a day after the White House accused Russia of attempting to cover up the role of the Syrian government in the recent chemical attack in Syria that killed 87 people. Russia has rejected the claim, saying the U.S. has been too quick to blame Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. We speak to Stephen Cohen, professor emeritus of Russian studies and politics at New York University and Princeton University.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: It would be wonderful, as we were discussing just a little while ago, if NATO and our country could get along with Russia. Right now we’re not getting along with Russia at all. We may be at an all-time low in terms of relationship with Russia. This has built for a long period of time. But we’re going to see what happens. Putin is the leader of Russia. Russia is a strong country. We’re a very, very strong country.

STEPHEN COHEN: I’ve been doing this for 40 years, studying American-Russian relations, as a professor, but I’ve also been inside occasionally. I think this is the most dangerous moment in American-Russian relations, at least since the Cuban missile crisis. And arguably, it’s more dangerous, because it’s more complex. Therefore, we—and then, meanwhile, we have in Washington these—and, in my judgment, factless accusations that Trump has somehow been compromised by the Kremlin. So, at this worst moment in American-Russian relations, we have an American president who’s being politically crippled by the worst imaginable—it’s unprecedented. Let’s stop and think. No American president has ever been accused, essentially, of treason. This is what we’re talking about here, or that his associates have committed treason.

Imagine, for example, John Kennedy during the Cuban missile crisis. And for the viewers who are not of a certain age, the Kennedy administration was presented—and the evidence, by the way, was presented to us; they showed us the surveillance photos. There was no doubt what the Soviets had done, putting missile silos in Cuba. No evidence has been presented today of anything. Imagine if Kennedy had been accused of being a secret Soviet Kremlin agent. He would have been crippled. And the only way he could have proved he wasn’t was to have launched a war against the Soviet Union. And at that time, the option was nuclear war.

So the question arises, naturally: Why did Trump launch 50 Tomahawk missiles at a Syrian Air Force base, when, God help us, he did kill some people, but was of no military value whatsoever? Was this meant to show "I’m not a Kremlin agent"? Because, normally, a president would have done the following. You would go to the United Nations—though Putin says you should go to The Hague, but they both have investigative units—and ask for an investigation about what happened with those chemical weapons. And then you would decide what to do. But while having dinner at Mar-a-Lago with the leader of China, who was deeply humiliated, because he’s an ally of Russia, they rushed off these Tomahawk missiles.

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/4/...most_dangerous

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It seems like Trump is seriously going to go ahead with this. It is only his utter changeability and easy swayability, perhaps influenced by others, that will stop him from doing so. At least until he changes his mind again.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Preparation for the following possibilities:

Best case: Tensions will be superseded somehow Cold War style
    Average case: more attacks take place
    Worst case: [Nuclear] war, anticipate annihilation and new world order if something's left.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Preparation for the following possibilities:

Best case: Tensions will be superseded somehow Cold War style
    Average case: more attacks take place
    Worst case: [Nuclear] war, anticipate annihilation and new world order if something's left.
    Sounds about right, but I think it will be worse IMO:

Best case: More attacks take place
    Average case: US invades at least one country (ex. Afghanistan War and Iraq War)
    Worst Case: World War 3 with at least one nuke dropped on a city

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    Sounds about right, but I think it will be worse IMO:

Best case: More attacks take place
    Average case: US invades at least one country (ex. Afghanistan War and Iraq War)
    Worst Case: World War 3 with at least one nuke dropped on a city
    Yeah knowing Trump this pattern will go on until some attack escalation either leads to Average or Worst. I wonder if an invasion could cause WWIII, two other countries starting it, or just Trump pushing buttons? Because I think seemingly unimportant allies might be one hell of a trigger - we've seen it take place in WWI and II. The beginning was always indirect and not caused by the protagonists. That pattern might repeat. So I'd add "Alarm Scenario" between Average and Worst, where China/NK/Russia is involved with some of the ISIS-affiliated places Trump targets and gets another case going.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, it looks like Trump has reversed his position on China, to work together with the US to solve the North Korean problem. I guess that's good... Ideally, China, S.Korea and Japan should cooperate to solve the North Korean problem... Not gonna happen anytime soon, though.

“Why would I call China a currency manipulator when they are working with us on the North Korean problem?” Trump wrote on Twitter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rsal-on-china/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7686261.html

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

US - North Korea tensions are rising again with the latest ICBM test from North Korea and Trump warning North Korea of severe consequences:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-no...-idUSKBN19P02W

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“Something.” Would you care to offer a comment above a sixth-grade level, Mr. President? No? Roger that.
    lol

Banned
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it has to happen it's better that it happen now than 20 years from now.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It doesn't seem reasonable to me for the US to engage in preemptive strikes unless North Korea attacks the South, or fires a missile anywhere close to the US. I can hardly say I'm convinced that North Korea even has long-range missile capability.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    It doesn't seem reasonable to me for the US to engage in preemptive strikes unless North Korea attacks the South, or fires a missile anywhere close to the US. I can hardly say I'm convinced that North Korea even has long-range missile capability.
    What worries me about North Korea is the leader is surrounded by yes men and and give a positive spin on everything he can. Maybe he actually does think he can take on the US.

Khomeini was kind of a cult leader too but he knew his limitations. He knew he couldn't take on the US. He swore he would fight Saddam to the last man but the US intervened and he admitted to his people that they can't beat them and it would only be sending IRanians to their death. So he swallowed his pride. Which was a great act of leadership imo.

SAddam Hussein was a moron. He didn't think the US would actually come after him. His top advisor said Saddam was shocked when the bombs started falling. He didn't believe it till he saw it. Moron he was. He also loved Doritos. Saddam didnt think anybody would do shit about Kuwait. And even when Bush Jr attacked him he didnt believe it. lol. He always thought we were bluffing. This fuckin guy tried to play chicken with the United States. I fear NK could do the same.
    "And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it, and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Things are heating up again between North Korea and the U.S. First North Korea threatening Guam and then Donald Trump threatening North Korea:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/08/p...ump/index.html

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/08/p...ons/index.html

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As fumble-mouthed and undiplomatic that Trump may be, armed conflict won't likely be a direct result because most intelligent leaders see him for what really is; he's a bully but not a hawk unlike some of the people advising him. Wars are usually precipitated when a regime does something threatening like the North-Korean leader has been doing and he's as bombastic as Trump. Now when significant US or Chinese troops and equipment are deployed, South-Korea should start worrying but I doubt that continental America will be impacted. We certainly can't ignore the regime and let it go unchecked......

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    “Why would I call China a currency manipulator when they are working with us on the North Korean problem?” Trump wrote on Twitter.

This implies that Trump will brand the Chinese as such if they don't co-operate. Good.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing's going to happen. America only attacks countries without WMDs.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Trump should make Kim Jong-un appreciate the value of calm and stable leadership.
    lol he's already making great strides in that regard to the US citizenry and believe me I love him for that

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

War isn't the answer here, nor is it the answer in 99.99% of cases wherever the spectre of confrontation exists. Kim Jong-un isn't a modern day ****** or even a modern day Stalin, neither is North Korea some unstoppable Juggernaut. Its incompetent, embattled leadership is still quite rational even while it clutches at an anachronistic cold war era belief system.

Did you know:

* North Korea has been showing signs of market reform since Jong-un took over. Minor though it is, it is nevertheless a sign that the regime isn't unintrospective.

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Factories or other enterprises can directly negotiate trade deals with foreign entities and hire or fire workers at their discretion. They can also decide what materials to buy and from whom, and negotiate prices.
    * North Korea has petitioned for détente with South Korea since Jong-un took over.

What the West needs to do is present a gesture of friendship to the Koreans by promising an alliance and huge investment in exchange for further reforms. North Korea WILL accept such a gesture because it is desperate economically and very, very desperate to escape China's sphere of influence.

I don't mean to present the situation in black and white terms: North Korea's artillery pointed at Seoul isn't some bagatelle, nor should its potential to threaten Japan and South Korea ever be taken lightly. But dangling the carrot of trade is infinitely preferable to engaging in an escalation of rhetoric whose only possible outcome is further embattling the regime. None of this will happen, of course, because decisive, militaristic rhetoric is quick and dirty compensation for the Micropenis-in-chief.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

So it looks like the situation between US and North Korea keeps developing and getting worse and worse, but will it reach a climax or die down? Only time will tell, but this is the latest update as of now:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/politi...ers/index.html

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

DPRK may use nuclear weapon on USA military bases in Southern Korea and Japan in case of war.
    It's doubtful there can be something. It's not like Lybia, Serbia, Iraq, Afganistan, ... DPRK has good weapon to not allow bomb themselves without good return fire.