Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Do You Consider Your Greatest Weakness?

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

People and food stuff.

In other words, Social stuff and Self-preservation stuff.

The former is a weakness of mine in a way, because it can hit me the most – I care the most about it.
    Losing friends, feeling lonely, intolerant individuals, all of those things can ruin my day or spirit.
    I find it difficult to motivate myself and do anything without any kind of social support or positive social feedback.
    I am not good at fighting for myself, alone. I'm at my best when collaborating with others, but some bad experiences have made it difficult for me to do so.
    And my strong introversion can make it somewhat challenging for me to engage with enough people on a regular basis so I don't feel isolated.

In the past I've turned to self-preservation issues as a poor compensatory mechanism.
    Once I lost important friends in my life and felt isolated, I turned to either starving/restricting myself excessively or the opposite.
    I felt like I neither had any control over social things nor about self preservation issues, so I forced myself to gain or lose control over the latter.
    That only led me to becoming either severely underweight or slightly overweight.

I have accepted that those two things will always be sore spots for me in one way or another.
    It has gotten better so far, but recently I've been struggling mentally again.
    I feel weak without other people's support, like I cannot do much and I am incapable on my own.
    I suppose I should learn to ask for help more...

Learning about the instincts has helped me with being able to put a finger on how and why I have been struggling in this manner.
    Before, I was largely unaware as to why I was depressed or was struggling in the way I was.
    I'm much more aware of the dynamic and what is happening now, which can help with overcoming it.
    I just cannot give in.
    So/Sx 4w5
    459 - The Contemplative
    [x]

Strategic decisive obstinate aristocrat Wyrd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either the spot on my back where a leaf stuck and the dragon's blood didn't cover my skin, or maybe my heel, I dunno. Maybe kryptonite?

But really, why would you tell everyone your biggest weakness on the public Internet?

Strategic decisive obstinate aristocrat Wyrd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Cassandra (and the board in general) I always find it interesting how enneagram has managed to more or less entirely re-define "self-preservation instinct" from how that's normally thought of. Normally, it's defined like "Slytherins have a good sense of self-preservation so they weigh and calculate things before they act" (from the Harry Potter Wikia page I put in my Slytherin group here, since I noticed a lot of people here like to identify with Hogwarts houses) or "the scorpion symbolically represents self-preservation among other things". Both of those things are considered more Sx-y though in enneagram, and self-preservation is basically "eating regularly, noticing the temperature in the room, etc." which is rather different than the often darker connotations that that idea has in pretty much everything outside of enneagram. (Never mind that people also relate things like farming, hunting, camping, gardening, making a house in the woods, etc. to Sp for some reason when the people who are into that and the people who care about regular meals and heating and air conditioning, if put into a Venn diagram, would have absolutely no overlap. Which is it, guys?)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12