EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...53811918303434

NeuroImage
    Volume 176, 1 August 2018, Pages 22-28
    , "Widespread associations between trait conscientiousness and thickness of brain cortical regions"

The Ubiquitous Mr Lovegrove Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

No idea which study this comes from, but it is supposed to show how people's Big Five scores change as they age.

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spermatozoa View Post
    I think this is a particularly important point:

By making everything everyone else’s fault you are actually making yourself powerless. Think about it – if everything is someone else’s fault, then that means you don’t have the power to change anything, as they have the reins.
    100%. responsibility=power. The truly wicked and truly amazing people in this world know this and use it to their advantage. For everyone else it will not be very popular because it takes a lot more work, emotional work and discomfort to take responsibility for your own actions and emotions.

Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

this assumes power is more important than ethics... which is to say being powerless is not the worst thing in the world. its not a proof that making oneself powerless is self evidently the wrong choice. obviously if one takes off all limits one could devise all sorts of schemes to get one's way. the question is such an approach in anyone's ultimate best interest and the answer is likely no. taking absolute responsibility for oneself sounds good, but it directly relates to the nobility of one's aims. lots of people stop at nothing to achieve what they want but what they want is bad. if they instead chose to be "powerless" in the matter, it would be a step up. its kind of anti social to simply choose power for its own sake, even though it invokes "responsibility" its actually responsibility toward no one, the self, or a limited tribe. its illusory responsibility because it frames responsibility itself in terms of a narrow range of people who deserve consideration. once ethics encompasses a broad enough group power has to give way, so you can't have perfect responsibility and perfect power. nested in this notion of "responsibility" is an ethical sleight of hand that presupposes a narrow range of persons accountable to combined with being willing to stop at nothing is the perfect blend, when that is essentially just a restatement of me and mine > everyone else. is that really perfect responsibility? at the end of the day I can't respect someone who is all powerful and only answerable to a few, even if that authority is me, because that person is essentially anti social, and the truth is, if we want to be anti social achieving any goal is much easier, so they're not really as powerful as they seem either. if we don't refrain from any baseness suddenly most tasks become much easier, but that doesn't mean one is either empowered or responsible, they're just sort of clueless. these same people would invoke notions of power and responsibility and they're entirely lead around by the nose by unintended consequences from not acknowledging these other forces that control them. as if saying because they take "responsibility" it means nothing controls them, when that is nothing but pure psychological denial. it just makes them slightly comic as they run to and fro, saying there are no higher powers, all the while driven by them constantly
    Last edited by Bertrand; 08-31-2018 at 02:20 PM.

TIM
    ISTp D sx/sp
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default THE EMPTY SELF AND THE “AS-IF PERSONALITY”

THE EMPTY SELF AND THE “AS-IF PERSONALITY”

March 28, 2018

A long time ago there existed another diagnosis crudely named the “As-If Personality.” The “As-if” Personality, now folded into the diagnosis of “Borderline Personality Disorder” (BPD), was described by psychoanalyst Helene Deutsch in 1942. She was led to create the diagnosis after seeing people who, lacking a sense of their interior “self,” compensated by forms of mimicry, becoming chameleons who acted “as if” they are something else.

According to psychoanalytic theory, early trauma and/or neglect could teach an individual that people are unreliable, leading them to have within themselves a sense of being empty. In the wake of this developmental trauma a person experiences “Object Hunger,” an unconscious and pathological need to fill the internal emptiness with people, places, and things. This is much more than normal social conformity - this is serious psychological problems existing in the core of the self, such that a person habitually takes on the identities and values they see around them.

In a way that no other term does, the diagnosis explicitly posits the centrality of our abstracted “self.” By doing so, it asks deeply psychological and perhaps spiritual questions. What is a self, and how is it that a self can be empty? What fills a self? When we think about our self, are we just telling our self a story? Is the self just a collection of habits? Are we the same self in different places, with different people, or do we change in different contexts? Do different emotions create a different self?

The above questions are often discussed - directly or indirectly - in therapy. My own feeling is that the answer depends on how the question is asked. As Claude Levi-Stress said, “The wise man doesn't give the right answers, he poses the right questions.” An approach that emphasizes issues of consciousness, and thoughts will understand the “self” in terms of ideas, stories, narratives, and identity. An approach emphasizing direct experience, the body, and development will understand the self in terms of habits, relationships, developmental contexts, emotions, and nervous systems.

The psychologist William James was the first to address issues of the self, suggesting the self was comprised of both a “me” and an “I.” The “me” is the more objective aspect engaging in behavior and being seen by others, while the "I" is the self we know and feel we are internally, via introspection. The concepts can be demonstrated in the statement; "I know it was me who ate the cookie.” If a person is raised in a family using the attitude “children should be seen and not heard,” then those children might develop a “me,” but lack a sense of an interior “I.” It might also be true that in this culture, attractive young females are vulnerable to having a strong “me” (seen by others) but a weak “I” (knowing themselves) which might explain why females are more likely to be diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder.

The “As If Personality” diagnosis is a good reminder that the core symptoms of BPD are not the external behaviors of self-harming and suicidality, but the internal emptiness and existential despair the person suffers with. The self-harm is just an escape, or regulation strategy. Healing requires both awareness and validation of reality, of others, and of our feelings. Healing also requires a reduction in the tendency to be judgmental, because judgements are a way we escape from emotional experiencing. All easier said than done.

(Note 1: it’s obvious that Woody Allen was guided by the “As If Personality” when he wrote the movie “Zelig,” about a man who magically changes his identity to match whoever he’s around).

X

Self creation and the limitless void of dissociation: the 'as if' personality.

Review article
    McFarland Solomon H. J Anal Psychol. 2004.

The concept of the 'as if' personality has been used variously in analytic literature without having formed part of a clinically based theoretical development over time. The author discusses the bases of her notion of the 'as if' personality, as observed across a number of patients and supervised patients in intensive, long term analytic treatment. In this composite clinical picture, a grouping of elements that form a particular kind of defence of the self is identified in certain patients with an exceptional capacity for creative engagement in the world, surpassing expectations given their background. The picture includes the presence of physical breakdown and illness, as psychic suffering arising from early narcissistic wounding and from a physical, emotional and/or sexual abusive familial environment, was held for too long in bodily memory but not in mind. A distinction is made between the 'as if' personality, the persona and the false self. The 'as if' personality concerns the action of defensive dissociation deriving from very early experiences of internalizing the presence of an absent object, creating the sense of an internal void at the core of the self. At the same time, the self is capable of acts of self creation through a succession of identifications and internalizations with other sources of environmental nourishment, which substitute for, and are constructed around, the original sense of internal emptiness. Thus are restored, but only up to a point, the resources of the originally diminished self. Until these resources have been used up, the self is often able to excel in activities to an exceptional degree. The countertransference is shown to be the means of both useful but often perilously obtained clinical experience and information, supporting the work along the hazardous analytic journey.
    Last edited by Aki; 09-05-2018 at 02:07 PM.

TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    690 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Use of filler phrases such as "like," "you know," etc. correlated with younger people, females, and: higher conscientiousness.

https://www.thecut.com/2014/06/i-mea...-you-know.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123