Thread: Examining the Innards of the Cognitive Functions

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Definitions of the Cognitive Functions or Elements

I took it upon myself to separate the cognitive functions into sets of characteristics for analysis.

This is entirely from my perspective. I might be doing it wrong, so feel free to tell me.

Se includes perception of a hierarchy and status, physical ability, motivation/drive, acquisition of practical data, good reflexes,

Ni includes deductive reasoning, inductive reasoning, predicting things based upon previous knowledge, analysis by gut, deep thought, having an epiphany, doubting ideas,

Si includes memory, following traditional values, detection of internal wellness, attention to one's internal wellness, sticking to norms,

Fi includes internal feelings, analysis by vibe, valuing interconnectiveness, intense emotions, feeling good or bad about something, liking disliking an object, following ethical standards,

Fe includes the ability to change or diffuse the emotional situation, having more malleable emotions, valuing shared emotional states, influencing someone else's emotions,

Te includes valuing efficiency, giving detailed lists of orders, acquisition of factual data to be prepared, dealing with the steps,

Ti includes valuing correctness, seeing logical connection, questioning things, self reliance, creating logical constructs, defiance of order, understanding logical constructs, following logical standards,

Ne includes idea generation, spacing out, recognize patterns, come to new beginnings, focusing on the end, sticking with ideas, reconciling competing ideas, connecting previously unrelated ideas,

Stuff that is not an element or function includes physical features, memory, topics of interest (hobbies),

I am willing to edit and add to or take out of the list any suggestions. Generally, the rule is if it is the same as something else, it should not be added, and if it is already added, it should be taken out. I am also willing to split these characteristics into two different characteristics, but I'll defer that to the forums.
    Last edited by Alomoes; 03-05-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

TIM
    INTj-Ti
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I think must be changed is memory in Si. Memory in general isn't tied to any specific function. If it was, we should be able to observe that LIEs and EIE have terrible memories, which they don't. However, people will remember information tied to their ego function the best. So you should specify Si is memory of one's physical experience, or you should remove it completely. I realize I sound overly pedantic, but writing just "memory" is misleading, especially to people who are new to this subject.

Now for my opinions/suggestions:
    I would say that following standards, traditional or not, would fall under Ti and Fi.
    Valuing efficiency and making things more efficient seem redundant to me.
    Add influencing someone else's emotions to Fe.
    Add connecting previously unrelated ideas to Ne.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did that. I'm also changing the name of the thread to something better. I initially meant this as more of a discussion on what should be included in the functions and what is outside the jurisdiction of a cognitive function, but it seems this is just more of a definitions thread.

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni shouldnt have deductive reasoning. We make inductive jumps all the time.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI, none of those are functions. Those are all elements. Innards of the functiins would be breaking down the base, creative, role, etc...
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I added inductive reasoning to Ni, but if it doesn't go there as an example, I'll move it to the not an element/function category that apparently got deleted or something.

I tried renaming the thread, but it didn't work. I could replace all the times I said Cognitive Function with element if that would solve the problem. I've always read them defined as cognitive functions, but I might be wrong or reading from an incorrect source. Either way.

Edit: I'm looking into this problem, and it seems there are multiple points of view on what a cognitive function is, so I'm leaving it as is.
    Last edited by Alomoes; 03-05-2017 at 09:00 PM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    FYI, none of those are functions. Those are all elements. Innards of the functiins would be breaking down the base, creative, role, etc...
    "Cognitive functions" is MBTI terminology. The semantics here seem somewhat influenced by MBTI (like Si and memory). Also not sure what Ni has to do with deductive or inductive reasoning?

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    "Cognitive functions" is MBTI terminology. The semantics here seem somewhat influenced by MBTI (like Si and memory). Also not sure what Ni has to do with deductive or inductive reasoning?
    Ni primary uses past events or prior knowledge to foretell what will happen or discern what has happened outside of their direct experience. That very much is inductive reasoning. Deductive requires certainties and aims to narrow scope.

Ex. Me and jack are the only people with access to my safe. Jack drops pennies everywhere he goes. There are pennies in my safe that I did not drop. Jack visted my safe.
    Inductive Ex. Jack drops pennies everywhere he goes. Jack always has pennies in his pocket.

Ni inherently operates in areas where there is missing info. Its logic is overtly inductive. Deductive logic is almost always ascertained through Ti.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alomoes View Post
    I added inductive reasoning to Ni, but if it doesn't go there as an example, I'll move it to the not an element/function category that apparently got deleted or something.

I tried renaming the thread, but it didn't work. I could replace all the times I said Cognitive Function with element if that would solve the problem. I've always read them defined as cognitive functions, but I might be wrong or reading from an incorrect source. Either way.

Edit: I'm looking into this problem, and it seems there are multiple points of view on what a cognitive function is, so I'm leaving it as is.
    Oh I dont really care about it, but i pointed it out because there is a possibilty that youll be confused later by it if someone uses function and you interpret it as element.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Ni primary uses past events or prior knowledge to foretell what will happen or discern what has happened outside of their direct experience. That very much is inductive reasoning. Deductive requires certainties and aims to narrow scope.

Ex. Me and jack are the only people with access to my safe. Jack drops pennies everywhere he goes. There are pennies in my safe that I did not drop. Jack visted my safe.
    Inductive Ex. Jack drops pennies everywhere he goes. Jack always has pennies in his pocket.

Ni inherently operates in areas where there is missing info. Its logic is overtly inductive. Deductive logic is almost always ascertained through Ti.
    Yeah I get what you're saying. Ni is about "filling in the holes" so to speak.

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found the second half of this article to explain the underlying mechanics of each function well: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...lements-Primer