Thread: Rating Enneagram Tests Project

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Rating Enneagram Tests Project

I rated numerous Socionics tests before in this thread, now I intend to do the same with enneagram tests.

I will try to rate the quality of the test independently of whether it gives me the "right" result - although I don't really know what my enneagram type is, so that is not an important point.

As with the Socionics test rating project, it would be good if others take part. I don't know if there is an index of enneagram tests on this forum like there is with the Socionics tests - in any case, it would be good if people suggest tests for the purpose of this thread.

I intend to rate the tests with respect to each other, although my rating scale may be comparable to the one I used for the Socionics test rating project.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

This has been the most accurate one imo: http://www.enneagram.net/tests/sampl...plerlogin.aspx
    Like all tests you have to be honest and know yourself extremely well which is hard... I know so many people who have a certain view on themselves which in reality is not true, but they close their eyes to the real them (I have been there). So because of that I think it's important to get outside opinions too.

This one is okay, but the instinctual variants not so much: http://similarminds.com/cgi-bin/similarminds.pl

Enneagraph is decent, I got higher on 5 than 6 though.. I realize that with many tests it's easy to score high on 5 even though you may not be a 5 or have it in your tritype.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The OkCupid one was long, requires tedious log in, and it's not specific enough for pinpointing results.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Enneacards Test

This took me about 20 minutes. I chose not to pay for the extended results.

I found the sections that prompted me for words to describe myself difficult, but this may be useful if the test actually takes it into account, which I'm not sure it does, at least for the basic test result. The sections that involve the ranking cards should be a good way of determining type (in a personality system). I found this rather difficult, because I think it was mixing up intellectual abilities with personality traits, and also, there are traits that don't really go together, such as Cerebral and Observant/Perceptive , and I think there was one that had Cautious as well as Risk-taker. Another issue I have with it is that it gives a black-and-white answer, with no sense of being on some scale of traits, and thus the answers you choose are especially important - which is not ideal even if you are able to choose decisively between cards. Aside from that, the cards mix in negative traits (or traits that are described in such a way), which is not a wise thing to do unless testing for a negative metric independently (i.e. similar to the Big Five trait Neuroticism). Some of these issues are fault with the enneagram itself however.

I give the test 6 out of 10.

Your Top Ranked Enneacard

Enneagram Type 5
    Observer, Investigator, Thinker, Sage or Voyeur

You want to be informed, knowledgeable, concise and perceptive. Most importantly, you want to be self-sufficient and not have the entanglements of obligation. You may have problems with avarice. Under stress you may be arrogant, unfeeling and distant. At your best, you are objective, insightful and clear minded.

Your 2nd Ranked Enneacard

Enneagram Type 5
    Observer, Investigator, Thinker, Sage or Voyeur

You want to be informed, knowledgeable, concise and perceptive. Most importantly, you want to be self-sufficient and not have the entanglements of obligation. You may have problems with avarice. Under stress you may be arrogant, unfeeling and distant. At your best, you are objective, insightful and clear minded.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vespertine View Post
    Based on your responses, your likely Enneagram tritype is: 5-1-4
    and your likely Enneagram tritype with wings is: 5w6-1w9-4w5

Your overall type preference is:
    type 5 (5w6) first,
    type 1 (1w9) second,
    and type 4 (4w5) third.

Your dominant body-based type is type 1 (1w9)
    Your dominant heart-based type is type 4 (4w5)
    Your dominant head-based type is type 5 (5w6)

This test took me about 5 minutes.

I give it a 7 out of 10. I think this is at the top end in terms of quality of all the enneagram tests I remember taking. If I made an enenagram test, I would probably make it in a very similar way to this one.

I thought the second half of the test was rather trying, because it seemed to ask you to choose between two options based on your earlier answers. Sometimes I found it straightforward to choose, but for others, both seemed equally valid. I find that when tests try to pidgeonhole you via too few divisions, the reliability of the end result feels somewhat questionable. However, I think the result I got did fairly well gauge what I felt my personality to be (regardless of my skeptical attitude towards tritypes).