Thread: Difference between Si and Fi

TIM
    Dyslexic 17
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Ok, so I thought like/dislike, love/hate were traditionally Fi, but those are Fe now? Or am I not understanding correctly.
    I don't bvelieve they are at all but Expat and crew (Wikisocion & Rick DeLong) decided to amalgamate MBTI Fi with "R" and they haven't looked back along with the peculiar augmentations they've made with their strict quadra-centric worldview

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Maritsa

For Fi and Fi-valuing types, relationships are mainly based on subjective rules, which are often imposed by Fi types. For Fe and Fe-valuing types, relationships are mainly based on how people feel about each other, they are less rule-bound and are more "organic". That's why Fe relationships tend to either "intensify" or "fizzle out", based on how each other are feeling. Like "We don't feel the same about each other anymore".

From this, Fe and Fe-valuing types typically don't like to be told how to feel, they see that feelings are something that should not be controlled or regulated. It makes sense, since their emotional states describe their own relation to others and others' relation to them, unlike Fi.

It's like these lyrics from "Love Story":

Quote Originally Posted by Love Story
    Romeo, save me. They're trying to tell me how to feel.
    This love is difficult but it's real.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Maritsa

From this, Fe and Fe-valuing types typically don't like to be told how to feel, they see that feelings are something that should not be controlled or regulated. It makes sense, since their emotional states describe their own relation to others and others' relation to them, unlike Fi.
    that's interesting because I feel like Fe types are basically trying to control and regulate feelings almost by definition

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    that's interesting because I feel like Fe types are basically trying to control and regulate feelings almost by definition
    I actually thought about that, which I thought was a contradiction. But anyway, I would say that *in general*, a Fe/Ti atmosphere is where everyone is freely expressing their emotions in a reasonably unregulated manner (as long as the emotions aren't too harmful like anger or hatred etc.) while a Fi/Te atmosphere is more emotionally regulated and controlled.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I actually thought about that, which I thought was a contradiction. But anyway, I would say that *in general*, a Fe/Ti atmosphere is where everyone is freely expressing their emotions in a reasonably unregulated manner (as long as the emotions aren't too harmful like anger or hatred etc.) while a Fi/Te atmosphere is more emotionally regulated and controlled.
    it sounds really beta to me, in that you've defined freedom as doing what the group wants and "regulation" as not being able to essentially lie in order to promote a jocular atmosphere. the ti construction of this, while consistent with its definitions strikes me as kind of absurd, because its usually the ringleaders that define and control whatever the group wants anyway, thus the whole thing just comes off as a transparent attempt to justify beta domination via groupthink and emotional pressure. extra points for invoking notions of "love" and "organic" as if the universe itself appointed NFJs its masters

the funny thing is, as soon as there are two popes suddenly there's war. so all this moralizing rings false because beta can't even get along with itself. so much for freedom and love
    Last edited by Bertrand; 02-22-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it sounds really beta to me, in that you've defined freedom as doing what the group wants and "regulation" as not being able to essentially lie in order to promote a jocular atmosphere. the ti construction of this, while consistent with its definitions strikes me as kind of absurd, because its usually the ringleaders that define and control whatever the group wants anyway, thus the whole thing just comes off as a transparent attempt to justify beta domination via groupthink and emotional pressure. extra points for invoking notions of "love" and "organic" as if the universe itself appointed NFJs the masters of the universe
    No. You clearly don't understand Delta atmosphere. There are no "ringleaders" yet the atmosphere is tightly controlled and regulated via the omnipresent Fi. It sounds more like you can't think outside of Gamma thinking.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No. You clearly don't understand Delta atmosphere. There are no "ringleaders" yet the atmosphere is tightly controlled and regulated via the omnipresent Fi. It sounds more like you can't think outside of Gamma thinking.
    by all means, enlighten me

edit: the whole point is, beta wants to establish themselves as the ringleader--so of course ringleaderless delta is offensive to beta power mongering
    Last edited by Bertrand; 02-22-2017 at 09:00 PM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

@Maritsa

For Fi and Fi-valuing types, relationships are mainly based on subjective rules, which are often imposed by Fi types. For Fe and Fe-valuing types, relationships are mainly based on how people feel about each other, they are less rule-bound and are more "organic". That's why Fe relationships tend to either "intensify" or "fizzle out", based on how each other are feeling. Like "We don't feel the same about each other anymore".

It's like these lyrics from "Love Story":
    While someone like LSE likes being told what to feel in convoluted ethical situations and yes I do tell LSE when to feel what. For example an lse will say "I feel bad because I feel like I'm walking away when they need me (referring to a job." In which case I remain more objective because I can compartment jobs from interpersonal relationships so I'll say "no you're not. You're not breaking up with them. You are seeking employment which will further your career goals and you may ask to return to that job once you've obtained the qualifications that you are seeking" anotherwords it's not personal and because LSEs make personal relationships the boundaries get crossed and feelings get convoluted and they can't separate them in their mind. I continue with "you are still friends with your coworkers and you have not burned bridges by acting impulsively and walking away without notice. You have kept your relationships in good standing so that should make you feel better about moving on to another job. After all you are being paid to perform a duty but I do understand that you have a partner and that you feel the need to support him and help carry the load."

The goal is to limit and control external reactions of negative feelings because those cause stress. I've seen it first hand in LSEs who cry over bad relationships and EII or even IEE are there to listen, comfort and to even ease them out of these states not to let them take on a deeper life. But we don't stop their expression we just are made more uncomfortable by them.

However, when let's say my sister expressed negative emotions at a positive happy event I tried to get her to calm down while my lse cousin (sitting next to me) told me to wait and let her talk about them because she was obviously upset.

Maybe just my sister comes off as a drama queen and it annoys me that she can turn everyone mood in one outcry
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 02-22-2017 at 05:30 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Here's a subjective rule on relations but tell me this isn't kind and considerate. I think that what the ESE did in this story was mean since the LSEs was rushing and organizing and helping them and the ESE's emotionally charged reaction was uncalled for

So one LSE has an ESE living with the son rent free and the last time LSE was over at the ESE's she helped them pack to move and asked the ESE to do some tasks. The ESE got super lazy and did not move from the couch. LSE gave her two warnings about dishes in the sink that needed to be washed and pack and when the ESE didn't do them the LSE tossed them in the trash. The ESE held a resentment and when the son was talking to the LSE the ESE screamed out "I don't want that bit** here so loud to make sure the LSE heard it. The LSE lamented about being called that to me. Of course at this point the LSE doesn't think or feel highly of the ESE and the mood swings of ESE do resemble bipolar. The LSE though is revising this emotionally and it makes her sad being called a B but she wanted things done on her base function "clean up so my son can move out"
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I've seen EIE be very controlled in public and trying to not flirt even if she was twisting her shoulders and making very expressive faces (the lights of which it's very hard for me to describe).
    -

TIM
    LII-Ne/C (INTj/TiNe)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone can use their strongest IE to control others. It is not Fe restricted

Yes, Fe types can control feelings and emotions by definition, as you say. However, there is a difference between controlling all your emotions or just filtering the irrelevant emotions to make the environment better suited for the current task or meeting, etc. There is a difference between controlling and managing.

[...] Fe and Fe-valuing types typically don't like to be told how to feel, they see that feelings are something that should not be controlled or regulated. It makes sense, since their emotional states describe their own relation to others and others' relation to them, unlike Fi.
    In these cases, maybe Fe types are trying to remove emotions that they perceive as fake or disturbing to their objective of allowing people to express their true emotions ? The other person may feel controlled by their Fe, but it doesn't contradict the fact that they are fostering the expression of true emotions.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Got another observation that could help.

Fi - especially blocked with Se, is much more radical and sharp than Si which comes blocked with Fe and Te. It sorts things out based on sentiment polarization. Or on how good an idea is when it's blocked with Ne.

Si sorts stuff out due to what is comfortable to a person based on efficiency or emotive actions. It can be very lenient: That's why Si egos are paired with fantastical Ne ego brats wink wink.

Summed up: Si is more mellow, especially in Alpha. Fi - a lot less, especially in Gamma.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alomoes View Post
    Ok, well, I'll explain my conundrum. So, I got into music a long while ago. I heard a song work and liked it, so that would be Fi, correct? Then I continued listening to it for a while, hoping for emotions similar to before. Would this be Si? Note, the music litterally made me "high". Of course, the effects were never as strong latter as they were initially.
    This sounds like Fe, trying to induce a particular emotional state. There is some Fi and/or Ni maybe too in the sense of attachment to the song and past experience. I've seen this behavior in LII, SEI, EIE...

Quote Originally Posted by Soupman View Post
    I don't bvelieve they are at all but Expat and crew (Wikisocion & Rick DeLong) decided to amalgamate MBTI Fi with "R" and they haven't looked back along with the peculiar augmentations they've made with their strict quadra-centric worldview
    What on earth are you talking about. None of the people you mentioned tried to "amalgamate MBTI Fi" with anything. Quadra-centric socionics is more of a post-Rick WSS thing.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    This sounds like Fe, trying to induce a particular emotional state. There is some Fi and/or Ni maybe too in the sense of attachment to the song and past experience. I've seen this behavior in LII, SEI, EIE...

What on earth are you talking about. None of the people you mentioned tried to "amalgamate MBTI Fi" with anything. Quadra-centric socionics is more of a post-Rick WSS thing.
    I feel like wanting to reproduce an enjoyable moment is mostly Si and it gets muddled by the source being "emotional" which brings in Fe in the form of "production" and Fi in the form of "subjective sense-feeling", you could even say Te or Ti depending on how they approached it (reproduction and "aesthetic" appreciation), and a splash of intuition to add conceptual depth. in essence its a complex phenomenon that is going to be weighted by the personality in question. some people will privilege some modes more than others, but on the whole its anchored in Si

I think if they really thought about it its more about the sensation than the emotion... its how people can enjoy being sad, its a pleasant sensation attached to negative affect. if you reproduced purely the emotion without the accompanying sensation it would be purely negative.. its why people prefer music to being kicked in the balls (there are exceptions of course, but you get the idea... perhaps a better way to put it would be music to being told your beloved grandma just died)...

in this way I see music as primarily a Se way to produce introverted sensations, which are grounded mainly in Fi from the producer, but then you get shit like math rock or weird al so that can vary (Ti/Ne "music")

national anthems and shit like that seems like "Fe music", maybe some kinds of church songs, etc

suffice to say, I think Ti and Fe music sucks, but that's obviously subjective, which goes to show there's all kinds of music but I think what really brings it together--its essential quality--is Si
    Last edited by Bertrand; 04-16-2017 at 09:56 PM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like wanting to reproduce an enjoyable moment is mostly Si and it gets muddled by the source being "emotional" which brings in Fe in the form of "production" and Fi in the form of "subjective sense-feeling", you could even say Te or Ti depending on how they approached it (reproduction and "aesthetic" appreciation), and a splash of intuition to add conceptual depth. in essence its a complex phenomenon that is going to be weighted by the personality in question. some people will privilege some modes more than others, but on the whole its anchored in Si
    I can't agree with that. I would say it's anchored in ethics, but Si is blocked with Fe for a reason. Music only improves the quality of your experience because it affects your emotional state (which is what Alomoes is describing here).

It has nothing to do with Te or Ti.

I think if they really thought about it its more about the sensation than the emotion... its how people can enjoy being sad, its a pleasant sensation attached to negative affect. if you reproduced purely the emotion without the accompanying sensation it would be purely negative.. its why people prefer music to being kicked in the balls (there are exceptions of course, but you get the idea... perhaps a better way to put it would be music to being told your beloved grandma just died)...
    This proves the exact opposite to me: Fe with Ni/Se means going through possibly negative or intense but also cathartic and valuable emotional experiences, which is exactly what some music does.

in this way I see music as primarily a Se way to produce introverted sensations, which are grounded mainly in Fi from the producer, but then you get shit like math rock or weird al so that can vary (Ti/Ne "music")

national anthems and shit like that seems like "Fe music", maybe some kinds of church songs, etc

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't feel like you're wrong at all, but this is precisely how and why taste differs (paying attention to different aspects of the same experience); experiencing things in different ways gives rise to different preferences and its why I think LIIs have their distinct style (which is simply their understanding and preferences made manifest)

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alomoes View Post
    I've found that Si and Fi deal with similar things.
    I really don't think so. As I see (and experience it) Si is about internal stimuli, but feelings are completely different matter. Its physical stimuli, it has nothing to do with emotions in reality, except when I feel (physically) uncomfortable enough to start being impatient, angry, sad, or numb. And these reactions cease instantly when I fulfill the physical need (eating, sleeping, resting, etc).

Most of the times physical stimuli produces another different physical reaction or its related to thoughts ( intellectual/sensory valuation, more often) since its the next function or a Ni process. Sometimes its just the stimuli and likes or dislikes (physically) or just experience it. Contrary to what certain ppl think, its infrequent an emotional connection to a sensation for Si, while Fi users can relate more often physical sensations to feelings and emotions (I've seen it irl, they "read" sensations through emotions), thats something that I (as Si user) find cute (I perceive this as childish, cute on enfp and annoying on infx -excessive-). lol

Fi as it says, its about Internal Feelings, the subject is mainly focused in his/her own feelings and emotions, and the feelings they have for others. It means, If they love something or someone or if they don't, if they feel happy, angry, moved, for themselves/others/something; they have a rich deep relationship with their own feelings and usually have a great range of them (and sometimes they try to project it over everyone or everything).

Si on the other hand try to get the most comfortable or enjoyable part from anything (make experiences comfortable enough for them if possible).

Fi and Si users of course dont understand each other naturally… Fi is always interpreting (translating) Si into emotions/feelings and Si doesn't care for feelings/emotions at all, and Fi (since its an internal emotional focus) could be easily offended (hurt feelings).

Si users experience the world through 5 senses (sight, hearing, taste, smell, touch), while Fi experience it trough emotions and feelings (happy, sad, excited, angry, scared, anxious, surprised, love, hate etc).

Could physical sensations affect emotionally a Si user?
    Could it be, but its not so frequent… its more often to feel something (emotionally) after thinking (processing) certain event (on my case). Its rare that Si would affect me emotionally instantly…its really unusual I'd say. Maybe just on extreme situations (danger f.e.)…I've cried over pain but it wasn't an emotional crying it was just the body response. As I said, is after an intellectual exercise that I'd start to have genuine emotional responses or feelings over an incident. Ironically, thinking is the short way to Fi on my case.

Now, maybe you are confused because of moral.

Si user could be offended by forcing something through their senses…(noise, sight, touch, smell, taste). Thats why Si could stand up for "moral" stuff…but it comes more from a "natural" (physical) personal source more than morals.

But again, its different from Fi since Fi its about feelings/emotions and a personal sense of right and wrong (obviously, it could be learned from external sources -parents, societal, religious etc-), then, the focus is "what I think is good or bad", while Si is "what physically make me feel uncomfortable or offended (abused) -physical boundaries-". F.e. one of the things that offends or annoys me the most is when others think that they have the right of touching, watching or talking to me inappropriately… also having to watch naked people on tv screens all the time or listening to heavy volume music/tv when I'm walking on a public place (or when being a guest), all of this to me its a lack of respect. Thats why I find extremely grotesque and bizarre ppl as lady gaga and exhibitionists (and extreme tattoos and modifications or some Hinduism practices), its extremely awful how these ppl dont have any kind of self respect or respect to their own bodies(aka dignity: I'm not talking about moral or pride, or judging ppl morally, but this sensation of having right/belonging over ones body, not to show it up or change it, but to taking care of it on and preserve a sense of physical intimacy, thats highly valuable for me). Thats probably why some SLI descriptions talk about self respect.

On the other hand, Fi users aren't interested on whats good/right physically talking…they are interested in whats good/right morally according what they have learned (or what they feel)…f.e. they can be in favor of indecent exposure if they are moved by an emotional speech or something like that, something that wouldn't affect the internal physical sensations of a Si. The nice speech wouldnt change an uncomfortable physical sensation.

So, others can perceive or think that both Si and Fi share the same root but its not like that.
    Others cant see it clearly because both are Introverted, but one is feelings and the other sensations.

Thats all I can see of all this socionics nonsense ...hope that helps.
    Last edited by Hope; 04-29-2017 at 01:48 AM.
    "All nations will place their hope in him."
    (Mt 12:21)

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Slugabed How do you feel about Miley Cyrus?

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Slugabed How do you feel about Miley Cyrus?
    ...exactly the same as with lady gaga. I was about mention to her but I thought that lady gaga was enough.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

this is precisely the problem I had with an SLI ex of mine. I always took it for granted I could say what I wanted if it made sense Fi wise, but she would say exactly this: "you can't talk to me like that" and I never really understood that until just now

thanks Slugabed

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slugabed View Post
    ...exactly the same as with lady gaga. I was about mention to her but I thought that lady gaga was enough.
    Ok, one more question... what about Bjork?

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ok, one more question... what about Bjork?
    What about her, she's not an exhibitionist.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slugabed View Post
    What about her, she's not an exhibitionist.
    You don't think that she looks weird and grotesque?

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You don't think that she looks weird and grotesque?
    Of course she's weird, but she's not an exhibitionist and she's not grotesque.

Bjork: sui generis, artistic, weird, ridiculous
    Gaga: nasty, disgusting, exhibitionist, attention whore

I've to add that I really don't like bjork style, but even when she's weird or ridiculous, she doesn't reach the gaga level that means she's not an eyesore. I mean, I wouldn't compare bjork with gaga, gaga just want to cause controversy and get attention at any cost. Bjork…its just pretentious. Talking merely about Si, she doesn't reach gaga levels and she's not really nasty.

That said there are a lot of sensing stuff can make me feel ill (physically), uncomfortable or provokes me reactions like anxiety, aversion etc …
    f.e. the work of Yayoi Kusama, it can make me throw up (literally) and it provokes me anxiety. There are some movies and videos that make me feel really sick… Requiem for a dream(the colors, close ups, angles, the repetition, the scenes), some scenes of Trainspotting, The exorcist, Deadpool...Maroon 5 animals video, etc.

I mean I've nothing against gaga particularly, I just think she's disgusting, the same with a lot of pop artists that are equally disgusting…Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Cyrus and a lot of Djs videos…all are the same. I just mention gaga because she's the most representative and exaggerated guess. The same with tv shows and series (I'm not into pop culture and that's the reason why, so uncomfortable).

I'm not against artistic expressions or even eccentricity, I'm against disgustingness.

VS

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that's interesting, because apparently Bjork is an SEI. I guess to me, both Bjork and Gaga are about "the same" in weirdness.

As for Yayoi Kusama... haha, I mean I wouldn't go as far as throwing up, but it's kind of weird I guess. But it's also the kind of weirdness that you might see in nature.

Maroon 5's Animals, wtf, that's psycho shit yo.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I still don't see how your experience is any different from mine as an IEI. But anyway, you must experience things differently than I do somehow.
    I agree with you. While reading your exchange, with Mari, I had a flashback to something I posted awhile back in another thread. At the time I considered the whole situation to be related to my Si primarily but now I think it was a mixture of Ni, Si, strong Fi reaction to the guy not listening to me. A bit of Fe too. :/ Your interaction was actually pretty helpful. Thanks.

What stage is this?

Me: I feel awful today. I guess it's allergies. My head is full of pressure, especially behind my eyes. I got a headache. This sucks.

SLE: Hey come for a walk with me.

Me: Did you just hear a word I said? You don't listen. I just told you that my allergies are so bad that it hurts and you ask me to go outside.

SLE: I heard you.

Me: You didn't. You asked me to go outside to the source of my allergies where my barometric pressure will cause me to get dizzy! I will fall down and the coyotes will eat me. [We have coyotes or something that looks like coyotes around only at night]

SLE: Let me rephrase, take an allergy pill and go for a walk with us. [couple others join in and make fun of my barometric pressure comment]

Me: Coyotes!

SLE: If you pass out I won't let them eat you.

Me: No thanks I'm going back to my room.

*everyone laughs at me*

Me: Leave me alone!

*playfully pretends to slam the door*

*locks door* <-- I really did

It is like everything I said fell on deaf ears. I think the only person who got it was my IEI brother. LSI called me lazy which pissed me off. I hate to be called lazy.

Edit: The story continues...

I hear a knock on the door and then they start singing "you light up my senses like a night in the forest".

Me: What?

SLE: Open the door.

[so I open the door and he handed me two tylenol.]

Me: Thanks, I have fire in my head.

SLE: Man, sorry to hear that.

[They actually looked a little sorry for real. I love my friends.]

Me: What was that song?

SLE: I don't know some old song.

Me: Ok, lock my door. Thanks

SLE: Feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteButterfly View Post
    Hm I think your referring to the superego taking hints from the duals Id block. Your see your dual using your role function in a way that supports your suggestive (their base), so you start using it in the same way. But your role is weak and they will automatically resist it when it negatively affects their base. But this affects you too as your suggestive and you mimic their example again, etc. gradually you get better at your role and their unconscious resistence weakens, it actually becomes impossible for them to oppose your role when it is supporting their base.
    ME:

I am not completely sure of what you are saying but I wonder if this has a little bit to do with what happened between my friend and me earlier. Regardless you sparked me to read up on Si and Se.

It's not like I have ever been eaten by a coyote (in this lifetime anyway) but I had no problem imagining then internalizing and experiencing the horror of it when it was suggested to walk at night down by the lake and trees. Sent me into a panic that no amount of Se could break through... Not to mention allergies or whatever...

For the record everyone who went for a walk came back in one piece. No coyote attack but I was not going to take any chances, plus I got allergies today.

Introverted sensing () is an irrational, introverted, and dynamic information element. It is also referred to as Si, S, experiential sensing, or white sensing.
    Si is associated with the ability to internalize sensations and to experience them in full detail.
    Si focuses on tangible, direct (external) connections (introverted) between processes (dynamic) happening in one time, i.e. the physical, sensual experience of interactions between objects. This leads to an awareness of internal tangible physical states and how various physical fluctuations or substances are directly transferred between objects, such as motion, temperature, or dirtiness. The awareness of these tangible physical processes consequently leads to an awareness of health, or an optimum balance with one's environment. The individual physical reaction to concrete surroundings is main way we perceive and define aesthetics, comfort, convenience, and pleasure.
    In contrast to extroverted sensing Se, Si is related to following one's own needs instead of focusing on some externally-driven conception of what is necessary to acquire or achieve. So, whereas Se ego types feel capable to evaluate how justified others' preferences are, Si ego types will try to adjust to them in any way possible (given that it does not extremely affect their own comfort), wishing to minimize conflict.
    In contrast to introverted intuition Ni, Si is about direct interaction and unity (or discord) with one's surroundings, rather than abstract process and causal links.
    Types that value Si prefer to spend their time doing enjoyable activities rather than straining themselves to achieve goals. They like to believe that if activities are done with enjoyment, people will give them more effort and time, and also becoming more skilled at what they are doing in the long run. They believe that goals should suit people's intrinsic needs rather than shaped by the demands and constraints of the external world, and so do not try to force others into doing things they don't want to do. They also try to be easygoing and pleasant, preferring peaceful coexistence to conflict, except when their personal well-being or comfort is directly at stake.

as a role (3rd) function (IEI and ILI)

The individual dislikes it when others emphasize the need for relaxation, enjoyment, and activities that are supposed to bring these about, because what they need internally is just the opposite — a need for action and resolve. Rather than spend their time trying to "listen to what their body is telling them," they need to have clear external demands that are able to overcome their sense of uncertainty and hesitation.

as an ignoring (7th) function (SLE and SEE)

The individual is perfectly adept at evaluating his physical state and the quality of his sensations, but gives priority to the external act of experiencing and interacting with the world. He gets impatient with those who stubbornly focus on harmony and equilibrium when there are things to be done in the outside world. According to these types, the exploration of the sensations is something that should be done in private on one's own time, but in public people should be ready to interact, get involved, and command situations without having to weigh out everything first.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteButterfly View Post
    Im assuming your an inxp? And your dual is esxp

So yeah, that's what I am saying. Your duals ne role function suggested an idea that triggered a cascade of unpleasant sensations (si). You tried to alleviate it using se but the internal sensations were overwhelming and your ni inner harmony was disturbed. Next time you'd see it coming and Change mental trajectories before your dual's idea could fully form. Your dual would gradually mimic your example and only form ideas which maintained their inner harmony (and yours with it). and as they got better at it your resistance to their ideas would weaken.
    This is pretty interesting actually. Honestly, at first, my biggest issue with the idea of a walk being suggested, after I just said how bad my allergies were, was that they did not hear what I was saying. Then he assured me he heard me and I was a bit baffled at the logic of someone having an allergy attack and headache take a walk down by the trees. It just made no sense so again I assumed they must not have heard me. Then he rephrased and suggested I take an allergy pill and go anyway and that annoyed me further but in fact the suggestion of walking immediately conjured images of coyote attack. I am not that big physically and in my mind if they were to attack it would happen with me there because I am smaller and my allergies would make me appear weak. Like all this took form in my head in like a split second. After I complained about not being heard I just felt I wanted to go to my room where I would feel safe and comfortable.

When I was in my room I was sort of trying to get over my annoyance at not being heard. Then he knocked and handed me painkillers. I realized then that he got what I was saying but in the group of everyone else he was sort of laughing about my fear of coyote attack and barometric pressure and not acknowledging how bad I was really feeling. It was only when he got away from the group did he really make me feel like he felt bad that I didn't feel well. After I asked him to lock the door when he left I started thinking about the whole incident and I knew that my fear of the coyotes was the main reason I did not want to walk and the allergies were not the main reason. I could have taken a pill and joined them but I didn't. The whole thought of walking around here at night causes me anxiety but when I was telling everyone that I didn't want to go I was sort of using exaggerated expressions, raising my voice, and pouting so I think everyone just thought I was trying to be funny. I kind of used "being funny" as camouflage to hide my fears and the anxiety only went away once I was locked in my room. I am still surprised everyone else went even after I warned them about coyotes. :/ But nothing happened so... I still have this nagging feeling that, had I gone with them, we would have seen some.

Thanks for explaining the role/base thing to me. I think I understand the whole incident better now.
    Last edited by Aylen; 04-17-2017 at 07:44 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12