Thread: Is your career typical/expected for someone of your sociotype?

TIM
    EII 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is your career typical/expected for someone of your sociotype?

I am particularly interested in anecdotes of people whose careers are not typical/expected for those of their sociotype, and I would love to hear how they got into those careers, what they find fulfilling about them, how their type helps/hinders them, etc. In anticipation of some responses, I will say I understand that any sociotype can be in any career, but I am pretty sure there are some strong correlations regardless.

And if your career is typical/expected for your sociotype, I'd still love to hear how you think your type has contributed to your career path.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a career, so yes lmao.

TIM
    SLI-H sp/so
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ESI here. Computer Science and Web-Development.
    I love it, but to see how some other types learn faster than me is disheartening sometimes.
    (especially in complexity theory: pretend a thing that cannot exist does things that are impossible. Now prove this random mathematical equation with zero practicality...what).
    Anyway- writing beautiful functional code is a form of art and I like solving problems ( but I hate riddles)
    hard work beats talent. No regrets.

I know an ESFp who has a bachelors (soon masters) degree in Biology/Zoology and two scholarships. She loved biology in school and wanted to be the best (in everything).

And an ENFj who will be a math and chemistry teacher soon. Really intelligent guy with a talent for theoretical math.

My INFp mother studied electrical engineering because it was the only option for her in a relatively small soviet town.
    ISFp grandmother was an accountant or bookkeeper. I don't know how that works with Te-Polr. As far as I know she got there because she needed a job. That's it.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work in international sales / business development now.

It's okay, but I think you'd need someone much more "people person" than me to keep this track over the long term. Many times I simply do not care at all about the troubles of my customers unless a solution can tangibly and fairly short-term result in more money for me (and it shows).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm a LIIbrarian, so yes it is typical.

Actually it is typical in some ways and not so much in others. It's 'typical' in that I get to learn a great deal, work with information and discover all sorts of new possibilities- new resources for information, new technologies, new ways to find things. It's atypical in that it's typically more customer service oriented than an LII might prefer, at least what I do as a reference librarian in a public library.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    SLI-H sp/so
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What about you @Economist ?

TIM
    EII 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I work in international sales / business development now.

It's okay, but I think you'd need someone much more "people person" than me to keep this track over the long term. Many times I simply do not care at all about the troubles of my customers unless a solution can tangibly and fairly short-term result in more money for me (and it shows).
    It sounds like you want to switch into something else at some point? How are you thinking about that process/decision? Also, how did you end up in your current position?

Quote Originally Posted by chips and underwear View Post
    I'm a LIIbrarian, so yes it is typical.

Actually it is typical in some ways and not so much in others. It's 'typical' in that I get to learn a great deal, work with information and discover all sorts of new possibilities- new resources for information, new technologies, new ways to find things. It's atypical in that it's typically more customer service oriented than an LII might prefer, at least what I do as a reference librarian in a public library.
    And what is a library without a consistent system that makes sense? Sounds quite fitting indeed! It sounds like you're not much bothered by the customer service aspects. Do you think you approach it differently from coworkers of other types? Are there certain situations with library patrons that are harder/easier for you to deal with than for your coworkers?

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    What about you @Economist ?
    I'm like the examples you cite; I'm an Ethical type, EII, working in a mathy field, academic economics. I'm the same as you in that I love my work overall, but there are some parts that I just cannot bring myself to care about (that my Logical colleagues seem to get into pretty naturally). I just like don't care about whether the theorem still holds if the set is just compact instead of connected and compact, or whatever. I get why it's important, and there are some beautiful theorems out there, but it's not my thing. Compared to my friends in the same graduate program, I'm more obsessed with the implications of my research for public policy, especially helping poor people, but my research wouldn't be as rigorous/undeniably true if it didn't go through the trial-by-fire that is the scrutiny of Logical types. I think it's good to have some variety of types in any community.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. I work in the Air Force, administering contracts and hiring contractors to build whatever the government needs. My job is responsible for 95% of the united states Miltary spending. My job involves knowing millions of disjointed rules on fiscal regulations and coordinating every person I deal with (whos not in my office) to conform to what I need them to do. Its an area where Se and Te thrive, my 2 1D functions.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do computer programming. I got into it because of the Ti aspects (algorithms and the math part) but in practice it's really more about Te, Ni, and Ne. It can be very Te (and Se?) heavy if you are dealing with constantly fluctuating situations and technologies, this part I find tiresome. Modern operating systems, the web, and most programming stacks are like a ball of twine of stuff that made pragmatic sense at the time but is terrible from a theoretical perspective (i.e. what you would do if you had to start it all over again knowing what we know now). Hopefully this situation will start to change in the next several decades, but it has a lot of momentum. All the hacking that is happening to people is a direct result of this and could be solved with secure OSes.

I find it actually has an element of Si/Fe too, in terms of responding to clients' needs (assuming you're in a start-up type situation, I don't know how it is in big companies). This part can be fulfilling.
    Last edited by Exodus; 01-20-2017 at 04:39 PM.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Economist View Post

And what is a library without a consistent system that makes sense? Sounds quite fitting indeed! It sounds like you're not much bothered by the customer service aspects. Do you think you approach it differently from coworkers of other types? Are there certain situations with library patrons that are harder/easier for you to deal with than for your coworkers?
    I think some of my coworkers are more chatty with their patrons, better at getting to know them as individuals. Whereas I'm more concerned with just answering their requests and then moving onto the next one.

Things that are easier to deal with compared to my coworkers:
    --The mundane tasks that have to be done like shelving. I actually kind of like this, putting things in order according to the system. Plus it gives me a chance to browse materials and I usually find something interesting to check out.

--Some of the more technical kinds of questions or those requiring more specialize knowledge.

--Efficiency. I because I am rather task oriented and don't tend to waste alot of time chatting, I can get alot done in a short period of time. (Although in reality I tend to alternate between brief spurts of ultra-productivity and more slack periods).

Things that are harder to deal with compared to my coworkers:
    --Dealing with rude patrons gracefully. I either just walk away and pass them off to someone else or end up getting defensive and respond back in a rather rude manner.
    --Dealing with the unexpected or strange requests. I never quite feel confident when it's best to bend the rules a bit to make an exception or to hold the line and stay firm.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Economist View Post
    It sounds like you want to switch into something else at some point? How are you thinking about that process/decision? Also, how did you end up in your current position?
    Yes, I definitely want to switch, relatively soon if possible.

I would like to have a slight transition (not sudden) so that I can use the experience I accumulated so far, but at the same time deal with a more technical product such that I can develop my skills further esp. for the future.

I ended up in my current position because I really wanted to make an experience in sales. I eventually want to start my company and being a good salesman is an essential (meaning: without that part the business cannot exist) part of running a new business.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Whatever job has the best convenience to pay ratio works for me. The idea taking out a loan to go college and thereby locking yourself in sticking with whatever job you happen to get afterwards to pay off the debt is something I want to avoid at all cost. I want to be able to quit my job at anytime without debt hovering me so I can just leave if they start making demands of me I'm not comfortable with. To those lucky enough to receive full scholarships or have their parents pay their debt for them, good for you, but I still think I wouldn't want to go to college if that was case due to my sheer hatred of the rigid and boring school environment. (Being able to party with buddies is not a plus for me, I care very little about that)

Right now I work doing hands-on type work in the warehouse section of Best Buy. Its nothing glamorous or unique but it pays enough to get me though without restricting my freedom to levels that I'm uncomfortable with. I'm still quite young yet btw.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Probably in 2019: Deep in the art zone, no surprise here

But. My current academic career (that leads me into the art field) is rather problematic. I can't stick to any sort of detail and rule work. All the theories are very nice to get to know, but it lacks a more practical and entertaining element. Art is a place of exploration, academia can be very strict and traditional. So, writing exams and papers with deadlines and standardized formats are my personal hell. Sitting in an all-white room for 6 hours, listening to long sermons about theories from 1901 without any reality check while starving isn't my style, either. The people there are obsessed with organizing themselves in clubs and have a party-till-we-drop mentality, it's very Beta and I don't fit in. I'm far too soft and critical to deal with them, being too much anti-alcohol and anti-hookup culture. I enjoy that they are competitive and ambitious but only to a degree, especially concerning discipline.

I've learned plenty of hard lessons so far, and know what I'm made of at the end of the day. I learned how much I can force myself to do despite all obstacles. Sounds more bitter than beneficial but it's a feat. Sure - I enjoy the recognition part of it, and my increased understanding of people in there. My horizon is broadened with every seminar, and I'm most definitely "educated" by now in a conventional sense, although I value real-world experiences a lot more. Maybe that's why I'm supposed to be there. On top of that, I'm proud that I perform well despite my problems with their system, writing good marks and all, the irony. Still, I want to drop out every day because it's not what I truly want and enjoy. Enneagram 3 issues But I can't drop out because that would disappoint me (already being in the 5/6th semester), others, and those who finance me. I'd have nowhere to go, I'm dependent on my own decision without alternative and that hurts sometimes, but I have to accept it. In the end, I have to prove myself and see the good parts that made me.

As for the exact reason, I initially got into academia so I could acquire a future executive position which fits my character, it's lucrative, it's visionary, creative, and I am in control. I preferred it over a more manufacturing approach to studying art and my university has enough prestige to open all doors for me, shallow but it's the truth. I'm the type who chases the option that gives me the most opportunity and knowledge so this is why I do it.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Bank compliance. Its very Te heavy (keeping up with changing procedures and federal regulations and applying them to what you're reviewing) and requires a lot of attention to detail (IJ territory?) The coworkers I've typed are heavy on gamma, for whatever reason (lol banks and $$?). So I guess I fit in, even though I always feel like I'm a little behind when it comes to the Te stuff...Its a sort of challenge I don't mind so much, though.

As far as how my type got me into it, I've just always gravitated towards the kinds of jobs that require strong organization and detail orientation because those are my natural skills.

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a worker bee right now, I don't have a career. I want to cut hair tho. Not sure if that's very Ti but it requires Se.
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhm ... most of my work history has been in marketing strategy ... I miss it.

But I think I should be kidnapped by China and made one of those online gaming grunts who farms item drops and re-sells them for real money.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm an NF. I work in TV, I wear zany outfits every day and stand out. I speak my mind and yet somehow still have a job.

YEP.
    Last edited by velveteen; 08-05-2018 at 06:31 AM.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m a journalist/author so I think it fits the stereotype quite well.

TIM
    Something with Ni
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cybersecurity Consultant. No idea if this fits or not. Most examples I seem to see for LSI involve trades working with their hands.
    "I would rather be ashes than dust"

"Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather he must recognize that it is he who is asked."

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Book editor, media researcher, mom.

Hobbies are music and other arts, and like a good lil’ agent of self-destruction I’m learning to sew. What? Sew? I never thought I would try that.

Working in publishing fits with NF, I expect. Apart from the language focus, I have gotten to work closely with a lot of authors and have been best suited to the role of “book shepherd,” helping the idea become a product. In research my specialty is qualitative analysis leading to actionable media strategies.

I also have had to manage a lot of schedules and competing deadlines, and although Ni isn’t required to do that, I can’t help noticing some people who are weak in Ni talk about time in very vague ways and I have to factor in their loose time sense when I plan things.

My work has staved off boredom as I have super broad interests, and each project involves new topics and, often, new people.

But I’m bored with it nonetheless as there’s not much left to master, and want to move on to other things. I went back to school and am at a crossroads.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crAck View Post
    whats your type?
    NF

I'm working as a computer systems analyst. This is a typical job for my sociotype. When I was going in college, I was thinking about picking the finance-related education, but after one year in college after reading this article https://www.becomeopedia.com/video-game-careers/, I decided to switch to IT programming, worked for a bit as a video game tester and software developer, but found myself in the system analysis, for me is a very interesting job, so I never regret about switching from finances.
    Last edited by JosephCarverh; 02-18-2022 at 01:16 PM.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Uh...maybe. I get to solve problems all day and set up classification systems but I also have to deal with people a lot.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Education: scientist. Done little bit of this and that part time bum. Checks out.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a grad student in classics. Classics seems to lean heavily Si-valuing in the States and I guess academia is common for LIIs, so I guess my job is typical enough.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    I'm a grad student in classics. Classics seems to lean heavily Si-valuing in the States and I guess academia is common for LIIs, so I guess my job is typical enough.
    Classics are fun courses since you get a blend of history and the arts. I had a history minor and probably would've ended up there if I thought it made any money/was a stable life.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Classics are fun courses since you get a blend of history and the arts. I had a history minor and probably would've ended up there if I thought it made any money/was a stable life.
    I consider myself a decent programmer and considered going into that field. But midway through college I realized I would hate doing something like that for a living and that no matter how much money I made I didn't want to be miserable, so I switched from a science focus to the humanities (I was originally a bio major, but was considering compsci before making the switch). I wound up dual-majoring in history and classics (the major mostly only included classes in Latin and ancient Greek, but I took electives in classical history and art as well), thinking that, hey, I already knew how to program and could pass certification exams if I really wanted to go that route, so I'd instead study something I was actually interested in.

The current plan, such as it is, is to teach Latin in high school (I would prefer ancient Greek, but there aren't too many positions open for that!), but even if I don't go that route, I'm being paid (barely. Apparently minimum wage doesn't apply to salaried positions, lol) to study something I really like studying, so I'm happy where I am for now. I don't think I want to get a PhD, for various reasons; I'll exit out with an MA.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    I consider myself a decent programmer and considered going into that field. But midway through college I realized I would hate doing something like that for a living and that no matter how much money I made I didn't want to be miserable, so I switched from a science focus to the humanities (I was originally a bio major, but was considering compsci before making the switch). I wound up dual-majoring in history and classics (the major mostly only included classes in Latin and ancient Greek, but I took electives in classical history and art as well), thinking that, hey, I already knew how to program and could pass certification exams if I really wanted to go that route, so I'd instead study something I was actually interested in.

The current plan, such as it is, is to teach Latin in high school (I would prefer ancient Greek, but there aren't too many positions open for that!), but even if I don't go that route, I'm being paid (barely. Apparently minimum wage doesn't apply to salaried positions, lol) to study something I really like studying, so I'm happy where I am for now. I don't think I want to get a PhD, for various reasons; I'll exit out with an MA.
    I did something similar, except I moved from engineering to the social sciences, and eventually economics. Economics was a hedge where I could still study history, sociology, etc. but have a "serious" and generally applicable degree after school. Funnily enough, my coworkers call me an honorary engineer and I'm going towards programming after 7 years of working a business/engineering hybrid role.

Living without a lot of money is not fun, and it will teach you how right Maslow was when he said security was a fundamental need. But, more power to you. I hope it works out for you.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    I did something similar, except I moved from engineering to the social sciences, and eventually economics. Economics was a hedge where I could still study history, sociology, etc. but have a "serious" and generally applicable degree after school. Funnily enough, my coworkers call me an honorary engineer and I'm going towards programming after 7 years of working a business/engineering hybrid role.

Living without a lot of money is not fun, and it will teach you how right Maslow was when he said security was a fundamental need. But, more power to you. I hope it works out for you.
    Oh yeah. Don't get me wrong. I don't plan on starving. And I'm not, currently, though I don't enjoy having to live with roommates. But as long as I can survive with a reasonable degree of security I don't mind not being rich. I don't buy or need much, and I'm being paid enough to live.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@OP. Yeah, it's completely STEM. I even did this pure engineering program with no electives (no "poetry writing workshop" or other non-mathematical distractions).