Thread: Russian culture

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Russian culture

So, apparently Russia is IEI. I don't know too much about Russian culture, but I find it pretty interesting. I find that the Russian culture is somewhat underrated because it's not really known (weak economy), a sense of being isolated from the rest of the world, association with communist dictatorship, and constant and senseless demonization from the evil capitalists known as the Americans.

Apparently, poetry is really big over there and poets are often lauded and esteemed. Their sense of aestheticism always seem a few decades old, but nevertheless it's beautiful. The language sounds beautiful and is pleasant to listen to, especially if spoken by a woman. The people generally seem shy but nevertheless passionate. The other Russian speaking countries like Ukrainians are usually very unusually warm and friendly. Other than that I don't know too much about Russia, but nevertheless it seems pretty interesting and most don't know too much about it.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evil capitalist dogs!
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    IEI 4w5
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

idk what it is about Russia, but my favorite composers and novelists are from there. Also, I recently watched a documentary on Peter the Great. He was rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Evil capitalist dogs!
    BOURGEOISIE SWINE MUST BE DESTROYED

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, Russia is known for great novelists... One of my favorite novels of all time is a novel called Oblomov, which is about some sort of a chronically lazy IP, and in the first 50 pages of the book, he spends his time trying to get out of his bed.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Apparently the best prostitutes in the world come from Russia. Putin says so himself.
    Oh, you funny Betas...

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Soviet regime tried to destroy Russia's spirituality and its culture and replace it with "historical materialism" and "Soviet realism", but it failed. The Russian Orthodox Church has nearly regained its former influence, and a third of the population even desire a return to monarchy.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like a novel written on my life
    It's a great book, I'd recommend reading it...

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is something mysterious about Russia and I think I would have to see Russia on Russian terms instead of through western glasses.
    Last edited by wacey; 01-19-2017 at 03:27 PM.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Interesting, thank you for sharing. Can anyone recommend a good documentary or site on their culture?

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good documentary or site on their culture?

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw, I think the main character in the book may be IEI or SEI... Although it's some sort of a political satire, it's very funny.

Seriously, with golden paragraphs like these, it's why I just keep laughing...

With Oblomov, lying in bed was neither a necessity (as in the case of an invalid or of a man who stands badly in need of sleep) nor an accident (as in the case of a man who is feeling worn out) nor a gratification (as in the case of a man who is purely lazy). Rather, it represented his normal condition. Whenever he was at home—and almost always he was at home—he would spend his time in lying on his back.
    On this particular morning Oblomov had (contrary to his usual custom) awakened at the early hour of eight. Somehow he looked perturbed; anxiety, regret, and vexation kept chasing one another across his features. Evidently he had fallen a prey to some inward struggle, and had not yet been able to summon his wits to the rescue. The fact of the matter was that, overnight, he had received from the starosta of his country estate an exceedingly unpleasant letter. We all know what disagreeable things a starosta can say in his letters—how he can tell of bad harvests, of arrears of debt, of diminished incomes, and so forth; and though this particular official had been inditing precisely similar epistles during the past three years, his latest communication had affected its recipient as powerfully as though Oblomov had received an unlooked-for blow. Yet, to do Oblomov justice, he had always bestowed a certain care upon his affairs. Indeed, no sooner had he received the starosta's first disturbing letter (he had done so three years ago) than he had set about devising a plan for changing and improving the administration of his property. Yet to this day the plan in question remained not fully thought out, although long ago he had recognized the necessity of doing something actually decisive.

Consequently, on awakening, he resolved to rise, to perform his ablutions, and, his tea consumed, to consider matters, to jot down a few notes, and, in general, to tackle the affair properly. Yet for another half-hour he lay prone under the torture of this resolve; until eventually he decided that such tackling could best be done after tea, and that, as usual, he would drink that tea in bed—the more so since a recumbent position could not prove a hindrance to thought.

Therefore he did as he had decided; and when the tea had been consumed he raised himself upon his elbow and arrived within an ace of getting out of bed. In fact, glancing at his slippers, he even began to extend a foot in their direction, but presently withdrew it.

Half-past ten struck, and Oblomov gave himself a shake. "What is the matter?," he said vexedly. "In all conscience 'tis time that I were doing something! Would I could make up my mind to—to—" He broke off with a shout of "Zahkar!" whereupon there entered an elderly man in a grey suit and brass buttons—a man who sported beneath a perfectly bald pate a pair of long, bushy, grizzled whiskers that would have sufficed to fit out three ordinary men with beards. His clothes, it is true, were cut according to a country pattern, but he cherished them as a faint reminder of his former livery, as the one surviving token of the dignity of the house of Oblomov. The house of Oblomov was one which had once been wealthy and distinguished, but which, of late years, had undergone impoverishment and diminution, until finally it had become lost among a crowd of noble houses of more recent creation.
    For a few moments Oblomov remained too plunged in thought to notice Zakhar's presence; but at length the valet coughed.
    "What do you want?" Oblomov inquired.
    "You called me just now, barin?"
    "I called you, you say? Well, I cannot remember why I did so. Return to your room until I have remembered."
    Zakhar retired, and Oblomov spent another quarter of an hour in thinking over the accursed letter.
    "I have lain here long enough," at last he said to himself. "Really, I must rise… . But suppose I were to read the letter through carefully and then to rise? Zakhar!"
    Zakhar re-entered, and Oblomov straightway sank into a reverie. For a minute or two the valet stood eyeing his master with covert resentment. Then he moved towards the door.
    "Why are you going away?" Oblomov asked suddenly.
    "Because, barin, you have nothing to say to me. Why should I stand here for nothing?"
    "What? Have your legs become so shrunken that you cannot stand for a moment or two? I am worried about something, so you must wait. You have just been lying down in your room haven't you? Please search for the letter which arrived from the starosta last night. What have you done with it?"
    "What letter? I have seen no letter," asserted Zakhar.
    "But you took it from the postman yourself?"
    "Maybe I did, but how am I to know where you have since placed it?" The valet fussed about among the papers and other things on the table.
    "You never know anything," remarked his master. "Look in that basket there. Or possibly the letter has fallen behind the sofa? By the way, the back of that sofa has not yet been mended. Tell the joiner to come at once. It was you that broke the thing, yet you never give it a thought!"
    "I did not break it," retorted Zakhar. "It broke of itself. It couldn't have lasted for ever. It was bound to crack some day."
    This was a point which Oblomov did not care to contest. " Have you found the letter yet?" he asked.
    "Yes—several letters." But they are not what I want."
    "I can see no others," asserted Zakhar.
    "Very well," was Oblomov's impatient reply. "I will get up and search for the letter myself."
    Zakhar retired to his room again, but had scarcely rested his hands against his pallet before stretching himself out, when once more there came a peremptory shout of "Zahar! Zakhar!"
    "Good Lord!" grumbled the valet as a third time he made for the study. "Why should I be tormented in this fashion? I would rather be dead!"

I should read some Dostoevsky...

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    I know little about Russia and although Putin may be criminal, I admire the man. I've seen dozens of video on him speaking in forums and lectures and my conclusions are that he a remarkable person.
    I think he's very smart, he has responded to all the provocations calmly through diplomacy and not force or violence. He seems to have good and sensible ideas about the world order. Although I don't think that he is a good person.

Russian pop music might be interesting to hear.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think this video has been posted here before, but it bears repeating.

This is how you rescue a cat from a tree in Russia.

Put this guy in a nuclear reactor plant, and Chernobyl is almost inevitable.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Apparently the best prostitutes in the world come from Russia. Putin says so himself.
    As reported by CNN