Thread: thinking on your feet

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default thinking on your feet

I was wondering is "thinking on your feet" type related? If so how?

TIM
    EII 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Define "thinking on your feet"? If you mean "acting quickly and appropriately on brand new information/a spontaneous situation," I'm pretty sure that's entirely related to Se. Then one can analyze every type's relationship to "thinking on your feet" through each type's relationship to Se in Model A. Other IEs might involve thinking quickly about various things (e.g, Ti is incredible at spotting internal inconsistencies; Fi immediately knows someone's true feelings about them), but to not only think/understand quickly, but also act quickly, I think you have to be using Se. Se is the IE of action.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simo View Post
    Yeah a bit, i guess everyone who has Ni are not quick thinking on your feet types. They need time to ponder.

SLE are notorious for instant tactical moves.
    Probably SLI also sometimes, they are known to have great streetsmart.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Yeah a bit, i guess everyone who has Ni are not quick thinking on your feet types. They need time to ponder.

+1

One time me and this SEE couldn't get into a club because we were dressed like bums. My mind froze. Him:

"Lets see if we can pay the bouncer under the table."
    "Lets befriend these dudes and see if they can get us in."
    "Lets grab one of these chicks out here and maybe they'll let us in if we have girls on our arms."
    Last edited by Computer Loser; 12-19-2016 at 09:53 PM.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post

That is why SLE and IEI are duals so they can do Se stuff for me lol!

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Economist View Post
    Define "thinking on your feet"? If you mean "acting quickly and appropriately on brand new information/a spontaneous situation," I'm pretty sure that's entirely related to Se. Then one can analyze every type's relationship to "thinking on your feet" through each type's relationship to Se in Model A. Other IEs might involve thinking quickly about various things (e.g, Ti is incredible at spotting internal inconsistencies; Fi immediately knows someone's true feelings about them), but to not only think/understand quickly, but also act quickly, I think you have to be using Se. Se is the IE of action.
    Yeah, that's what I meant but I would have used "responding" instead of "acting", because I think "acting" is about physical response while "responding" is more general and be used to mean someone who can think of a counter argument quickly.

personally, I noticed Se & Ne are both good at thinking quickly on their feet, when there is an emergency and everyone is panicking or doesn't know what to do Se users seems in the zone and take charge
    while Ne users are quick with ideas/arguments/witty remarks

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summerprincess View Post
    If they knew being SLE would make them do Se stuff for you, wouldn't they wish to change their types?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I would say it's a mix of Ne, Se, and maybe also Te. It depends on what you mean exactly.

Ne quick thinking involves elaborating on / spinning off objects of discussion while Se quick thinking is more about responding to how the present situation is changing.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summerprincess View Post
    Hmm, what do you actually consider "Se" stuff?

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

If they knew being SLE would make them do Se stuff for you, wouldn't they wish to change their types?

I was linked to a thread yesterday (different site) about IEI needing butlers... If self typed IEI believe they are getting a butler aka caregiver in an SLE they are probably in for a rude awakening. Not saying they are not willing to help but SLE aren't going to be doormats who will provide for your every need so you can lie in bed and write fantasy novels. They can be caring though and pull more than their share if they know you are doing you part.

SLE are just as likely to make you fend for yourself so you don't stagnate in a pool of your own inertia. That is what Se seeking is about, an impetus to act. I believe that Ti HA is slow but other functions can cover for that so Ni types can think on their feet using their creative functions to respond. If I am in a situation where someone is bleeding out in front of me, I might need some assistance from a type that can handle blood emergencies. If I have to talk my way out of a speeding ticket, I usually have that kind of thing handled. Ni is informed by subconscious Se and also role function but in a different way.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's what i'm bad at

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    If I have to talk my way out of a speeding ticket, I usually have that kind of thing handled. Ni is informed by subconscious Se and also role function but in a different way.
    I would say talking your way out of a speeding ticket would be the use of Fe even if Ni or Se may contribute, in the end it is Fe. what do you think

btw, how many times did you get a speeding ticket? you talked like an expert, so maybe it becomes a routine thing for you not quick thinking

back to the topic can we say extroverted functions (Se, Ne, Te, Fe) are quicker ?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I would say talking your way out of a speeding ticket would be the use of Fe even if Ni or Se may contribute, in the end it is Fe. what do you think

btw, how many times did you get a speeding ticket? you talked like an expert, so maybe it becomes a routine thing for you not quick thinking

back to the topic can we say extroverted functions (Se, Ne, Te, Fe) are quicker ?
    I agree it is Fe. I think Ni helps me avoid speeding tickets by reading traffic patterns and knowing hot spots but I kind of space when driving. I still manage to be a good driver.

I talked my way out of a few traffic violations over a period of years. I cried once. It was real though since I was going to a funeral. I mostly got warnings. I just felt the cop out and did what came naturally? It wasn't a lot.

I believe extroverted functions are quicker.

YWIMW

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to a funeral.
    are you surrounded by dying people or do you just like death stories?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

are you surrounded by dying people or do you just like death stories?
    It's a "fact" of life that just is. It is not the end of the person (within my beliefs) so I am used to it and see no reason to avoid mentioning it in this context. I have never been pulled over driving a woman in labor to the hospital but if I ever am, I think I could handle it.

YWIMW

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's kind of all-or-nothing for me with this. Either I totally avoid situations and places I'm unfamiliar with or I plunge myself straight into the chaos with no provisions and focus all my attention towards maneuvering and adapting the best I can. I find all the in-between stuff to be very tedious and uninteresting. For example I never studied in school ever because I found it too boring and intrusive towards my home activites so I instead focused all energy on absorbing as much information as possible from classtime teaching to compensate.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a "fact" of life that just is. It is not the end of the person (within my beliefs) so I am used to it and see no reason to avoid mentioning it in this context. I have never been pulled over driving a woman in labor to the hospital but if I ever am, I think I could handle it.
    well yeah it is a fact and there is no reason to avoid mentioning it, but I think you like mentioning it like another IEI e4 I know so I was wandering if it is IEI or e4 related, I find those I type as beta NFs or e4 like sad or dark things < not sure if they like those stuff because they are beta NFs/e4 or I typed them because they like those stuff

speaking of the dead I remember when I was surprised by how cold I can be, it was when I was in the intermediate school when one of my classmates (son of our neighber) died in a car accident, I was play video games when my father came and told me and
    I replied "really?"
    my father: "yeah I was with his father a while ago"
    me: "Ok" < completely feeling nothing and after my father left I continued with the game (after questioning for a minute why I didn't feel any thing even though that should be the right reaction)
    next day in school the other two classmates that I used to hangout with and they were very emotional about it, one of them actually was crying and I didn't know how to react
    I was thinking "am I too emotionless or are they making a big deal out of it?", "should I change the subject? no that would be cold", "what should I say to calm them & get out of this gloomy mood"
    so basically I wasn't thinking on my feet but rather stuck in analysis paralysis at that situation < trying to go back to the main subject

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Yeah I would say it's a mix of Ne, Se, and maybe also Te. It depends on what you mean exactly.

Ne quick thinking involves elaborating on / spinning off objects of discussion while Se quick thinking is more about responding to how the present situation is changing.
    I would say this is accurate in my case as an LII. I'm decent at the former, provided I know something about the topic of discussion. I am lousy at the latter.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

From best to worst at thinking on your feet IMO: ExxP > ExxJ > IxxP > IxxJ
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    I would actually say IJ is better than IP, since they have a Pe element as their creative function (despite having a different one as their vulnerable function). The ignoring/suggestive combo is much more difficult to engage.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

well yeah it is a fact and there is no reason to avoid mentioning it, but I think you like mentioning it like another IEI e4 I know so I was wandering if it is IEI or e4 related, I find those I type as beta NFs or e4 like sad or dark things < not sure if they like those stuff because they are beta NFs/e4 or I typed them because they like those stuff

speaking of the dead I remember when I was surprised by how cold I can be, it was when I was in the intermediate school when one of my classmates (son of our neighber) died in a car accident, I was play video games when my father came and told me and
    I replied "really?"
    my father: "yeah I was with his father a while ago"
    me: "Ok" < completely feeling nothing and after my father left I continued with the game (after questioning for a minute why I didn't feel any thing even though that should be the right reaction)
    next day in school the other two classmates that I used to hangout with and they were very emotional about it, one of them actually was crying and I didn't know how to react
    I was thinking "am I too emotionless or are they making a big deal out of it?", "should I change the subject? no that would be cold", "what should I say to calm them & get out of this gloomy mood"
    so basically I wasn't thinking on my feet but rather stuck in analysis paralysis at that situation < trying to go back to the main subject
    You are an intuitive person or at least you seem to be based on our few interactions. What you mention in regards to death is something I have seen ILI do. I don't know if you are still considering that type or not. I am not saying that ILI are the only types to have that sort of response and then analyze what was happening. My EII sister and I both burst out laughing at my grandmother's funeral when we looked at her body. Not appropriate but people understood why. We were both sort of in shock.

YWIMW

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    I think you summed it up very well

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    I would actually say IJ is better than IP, since they have a Pe element as their creative function (despite having a different one as their vulnerable function). The ignoring/suggestive combo is much more difficult to engage.
    a valid point but I think that would be true in situation that similar to old experiences so their (Ti/Fi) doesn't need to reprocess the situation
    but in a completely new situation I would say IPs are better, what do you think?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are an intuitive person or at least you seem to be based on our few interactions. What you mention in regards to death is something I have seen ILI do. I don't know if you are still considering that type or not.
    you sound like you reconsidered my type, which type are you considering for me?

I am not saying that ILI are the only types to have that sort of response and then analyze what was happening. My EII sister and I both burst out laughing at my grandmother's funeral when we looked at her body. Not appropriate but people understood why. We were both sort of in shock.
    I think most introverts would analyze what was happening later, but what did you feel after you stopped laughing and realized that wasn't appropriate?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

People tell me all the time that I have this quality. /brags

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullets View Post
    People tell me all the time that I have this quality. /brags
    bullets may be fast but they don't think, so maybe people confuse speed with quick thinking

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

you sound like you reconsidered my type, which type are you considering for me?

I think most introverts would analyze what was happening later, but what did you feel after you stopped laughing and realized that wasn't appropriate?
    Nope, I have not reconsidered but I would give more weight to your self-type than my perception of it. Edit: I might still think of you as ILI but not bring it up again.

The laughter turned to tears when we walked away but I thought laughing was embarrassing at the time. We were in our teens. I have since found out that it is not that uncommon to respond that way.

The next question came from Pam, from Spokane, Wash., who asked from the plaza: “I’m wondering is it normal to laugh hysterically at a funeral?”

“It’s strange and people don’t like it, but it’s normal,” Saltz assured her.

People laugh at funerals, Saltz explained, because thinking about death and mortality can cause anxiety.

“When some people get really anxious, they laugh and then the more it feels like an inappropriate reaction, the more that they laugh because the more anxious they’re getting,” Saltz said.
    Though you don’t want to be cracking up at such a somber time, if it does happen, Saltz recommended finding another way to relieve anxiety, like taking slow, deep breaths.
    Or, she said, “sometimes actually biting the insides of your cheeks, something that sort of pings you, that’s like a stress-reliever to take the anxiety away.”

YWIMW

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, I have not reconsidered
    you disappointed me

but I would give more weight to your self-type than my perception of it.
    but you say wise things sometimes, still your perception would add more data to work with

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

you disappointed me

but you say wise things sometimes, still your perception would add more data to work with

Fine, if new information changes my perception of your type, you will be the first to know.

YWIMW

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a valid point but I think that would be true in situation that similar to old experiences so their (Ti/Fi) doesn't need to reprocess the situation
    but in a completely new situation I would say IPs are better, what do you think?
    Hard to know exactly what you mean but it's possible.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on what you mean by that. Irrationals are more flexible, and dynamic types handle chaos better. Se is really talented in making actions in the moment that make their world malleable. Aristocratic irrationals have the highest stress resistance. The original question is too broadly asked.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    It depends on what you mean by that. Irrationals are more flexible, and dynamic types handle chaos better. Se is really talented in making actions in the moment that make their world malleable. Aristocratic irrationals have the highest stress resistance. The original question is too broadly asked.

I'm none of those things. I'm a static rational type with Se PoLR. I hate chaotic situations and when too many things are going on at once, I tend to panic. I don't like situations where I must think quickly on my feet. I like to take my time, uninterrupted, most preferably. However, I can think on my feet when I must, with varying degrees of success. I use my Ne creative to compensate.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ITSJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i htink that only people with no feeet do no think on them

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aristocratic irrationals have the highest stress resistance.
    Interesting! where did you get this information from?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    i htink that only people with no feeet do no think on them
    we can test that by cutting your feet and observing if you will stop thinking on them

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe gulenkos cognitive styles, possibly somehwere else.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Maybe gulenkos cognitive styles, possibly somehwere else.
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...stance-Gulenko

YWIMW

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it is, and more specifically, it's control system related. By their very nature, Ejs are the best at thinking ad hoc and Ips are the best at detection while on the fly. Ijs and Eps have their own strengths but real-time processing is not one of them.

a.k.a. I/O