Thread: Vincent Van Gogh

Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Vincent Van Gogh

Vincent van Gogh: A Complex Character

Van Gogh cut a striking figure. Jo van Gogh-Bonger, who became acquainted with Vincent in 1890, described him in her introduction to the 1914 letters edition as ‘a robust, broad-shouldered man with a healthy complexion, a cheerful expression and something very determined in his appearance’. Small in stature, he had green eyes, a red beard and freckles; his hair was ginger-coloured like that of his brother Theo, his junior by four years. He had a facial tic, and his hands seemed to be in constant motion. He was rather unsociable, which made him difficult to live with. People were often afraid of him, because of his wild and unkempt appearance and his intense manner of speaking. The way he looked and acted alienated people, which did not make life easy for him.

Van Gogh was almost always convinced that he was right, and this made him quite tiresome. He was a passionate, driven man, whose tendency to act like an egocentric bully made many people dislike him. They saw him as ‘a madman—a murderer—a vagabond’. Van Gogh refused to let this upset him: ‘[B]elieve me that I sometimes laugh heartily at how people suspect me (who am really just a friend of nature, of study, of work—and of people chiefly) of various acts of malice and absurdities which I never dream of’. He did not avoid confrontations, nor did he spare himself. Theo described him in a letter of March 1887 to their sister Willemien as ‘his own enemy’.
    Van Gogh was strongly inclined towards introspection: he never hesitated to explore and record his mood swings, or to redefine his moral position. He did this mainly because he had few people to talk to. Examining his own state of mind, he saw a ‘highly strung’ individual. At the age of twenty-nine, he sketched a merciless picture of himself:

Don’t imagine that I think myself perfect—or that I believe it isn’t my fault that many people find me a disagreeable character. I’m often terribly and cantankerously melancholic, irritable—yearning for sympathy as if with a kind of hunger and thirst—I become indifferent, sharp, and sometimes even pour oil on the flames if I don’t get sympathy. I don’t enjoy company, and dealing with people, talking to them, is often painful and difficult for me. But do you know where a great deal if not all of this comes from? Simply from nervousness—I who am terribly sensitive, both physically and morally, only really acquired it in the years when I was deeply miserable.

These last words refer to the years immediately before he embarked on his artistic career.
    However impulsive Van Gogh was, he generally set to work only after much deliberation: ‘For the great doesn’t happen through impulse alone, and is a succession of little things that are brought together’. Time and again, it was willpower and hard work that enabled Van Gogh to raise his low spirits. He repressed his feelings of guilt towards Theo, his dearest friend and confidant, and the only one who could cope with his difficult character. Vincent was well aware that his brother was investing a great deal in him, and the knowledge that he would never be able to repay Theo occasionally made him despair.

[source: Ever Yours: The Essential Letters. Edited by Leo Jansen, Hans Luijten, and Nienke Bakker]

additional reading: Vincent van Gogh: The Letters

after perusing his bio and letters, i get the impression of an ethical introvert, possibly xEI.

Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“It is good to love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is well done.”

“A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke”

“Normality is a paved road: It’s comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.”

“Close friends are truly life’s treasures. Sometimes they know us better than we know ourselves. With gentle honesty, they are there to guide and support us, to share our laughter and our tears. Their presence reminds us that we are never really alone.”

“What am I in the eyes of most people — a nonentity, an eccentric, or an unpleasant person — somebody who has no position in society and will never have; in short, the lowest of the low. All right, then — even if that were absolutely true, then I should one day like to show by my work what such an eccentric, such a nobody, has in his heart. That is my ambition, based less on resentment than on love in spite of everything, based more on a feeling of serenity than on passion. Though I am often in the depths of misery, there is still calmness, pure harmony and music inside me. I see paintings or drawings in the poorest cottages, in the dirtiest corners. And my mind is driven towards these things with an irresistible momentum.”

“I try more and more to be myself, caring relatively little whether people approve or disapprove.”

“I want to touch people with my art. I want them to say he feels deeply, he feels tenderly’.”

“Exaggerate the essential, leave the obvious vague.”

“Love is eternal ― the aspect may change, but not the essence. There is the same difference in a person before and after he is in love as there is in an unlighted lamp and one that is burning. The lamp was there and was a good lamp, but now it is shedding light too, and that is its real function. And love makes one calmer about many things, and that way, one is more fit for one’s work.”

“I can’t change the fact that my paintings don't sell. But the time will come when people will recognize that they are worth more than the value of the paints used in the picture.”

“To suffer without complaint is the only lesson we have to learn in this life.”

“In the end we shall have had enough of cynicism, skepticism and humbug, and we shall want to live more musically.”

“Your profession is not what brings home your weekly paycheck, your profession is what you're put here on earth to do, with such passion and such intensity that it becomes spiritual in calling.”

“If you don’t have a dog — at least one — there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life.”

“Just slap anything on when you see a blank canvas staring you in the face like some imbecile. You don't know how paralyzing that is, that stare of a blank canvas is, which says to the painter, ‘You can’t do a thing’. The canvas has an idiotic stare and mesmerizes some painters so much that they turn into idiots themselves. Many painters are afraid in front of the blank canvas, but the blank canvas is afraid of the real, passionate painter who dares and who has broken the spell of you can’t’ once and for all.”

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the impression that he's SEI

TIM
    EIE-Ni 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relate a lot to van Gogh, in many ways we have similar characters. The quotes above suggest that he values Fe, so I believe that he's IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/sp, perhaps even an "introverted" (in the common sense) EIE like myself.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vincent Van Gogh - Dostoyevsky

TIM
    EIE-Ni 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khcs View Post
    Vincent Van Gogh - Dostoyevsky

Well, he did somewhat physically resemble Dostoevsky himself, and the two lead similar lives of suffering and loneliness mixed with unconquered idealism.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

EII

Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

EII
    Last edited by Uncle Ave; 01-12-2019 at 10:11 PM.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carolus View Post
    I believe that he's IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/sp
    This. Dostoevsky, the author, and EII are more moralizing.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had difficult relationships with anyone close to him, according to his biography.. and would an EII cut off own ear?

Van Gogh was a serious and thoughtful child. ... He was encouraged to draw as a child by his mother, and his early drawings are expressive, but do not approach the intensity of his later work. His philosophy was to reject technique in favour of capturing the impressions of things, particularly nature or common objects. Van Gogh's profound unhappiness seems to have overshadowed the lessons, and in March 1868 he abruptly returned home. He later wrote that his youth was "austere and cold, and sterile".

In January 1879 he took up a post as a missionary at Petit-Wasmes. To show support for his impoverished congregation, he gave up his comfortable lodgings at a bakery to a homeless person, and moved to a small hut where he slept on straw. His squalid living conditions did not endear him to church authorities, who dismissed him for "undermining the dignity of the priesthood". He then walked the 75 kilometres (47 mi) to Brussels, but gave in to pressure from his parents to return home to Etten. He stayed there until around March 1880, which caused concern and frustration for his parents. His father was especially frustrated and advised that his son should be committed to the lunatic asylum at Geel.

In August 1881, his recently widowed cousin, Cornelia "Kee" Vos-Stricker, arrived for a visit. He was thrilled and took long walks with her. Kee was seven years older than he was, and had an eight-year-old son. Van Gogh surprised everyone by declaring his love to her and proposing marriage. She refused with the words "No, nay, never" ("nooit, neen, nimmer"). Kee would not meet him, and her parents wrote that his "persistence is disgusting". In despair, he held his left hand in the flame of a lamp, with the words: "Let me see her for as long as I can keep my hand in the flame."

TIM
    EIE-Ni 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yeves View Post
    He had difficult relationships with anyone close to him, according to his biography.. and would an EII cut off own ear?

Van Gogh was a serious and thoughtful child. ... He was encouraged to draw as a child by his mother, and his early drawings are expressive, but do not approach the intensity of his later work. His philosophy was to reject technique in favour of capturing the impressions of things, particularly nature or common objects. Van Gogh's profound unhappiness seems to have overshadowed the lessons, and in March 1868 he abruptly returned home. He later wrote that his youth was "austere and cold, and sterile".

In January 1879 he took up a post as a missionary at Petit-Wasmes. To show support for his impoverished congregation, he gave up his comfortable lodgings at a bakery to a homeless person, and moved to a small hut where he slept on straw. His squalid living conditions did not endear him to church authorities, who dismissed him for "undermining the dignity of the priesthood". He then walked the 75 kilometres (47 mi) to Brussels, but gave in to pressure from his parents to return home to Etten. He stayed there until around March 1880, which caused concern and frustration for his parents. His father was especially frustrated and advised that his son should be committed to the lunatic asylum at Geel.

In August 1881, his recently widowed cousin, Cornelia "Kee" Vos-Stricker, arrived for a visit. He was thrilled and took long walks with her. Kee was seven years older than he was, and had an eight-year-old son. Van Gogh surprised everyone by declaring his love to her and proposing marriage. She refused with the words "No, nay, never" ("nooit, neen, nimmer"). Kee would not meet him, and her parents wrote that his "persistence is disgusting". In despair, he held his left hand in the flame of a lamp, with the words: "Let me see her for as long as I can keep my hand in the flame."
    He was definitely much more confrontational and self-destructive in his life than most people think. Some have written that he might have had BPD.

Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He wasn’t emotionally stable, so I think it could be hard to sift through all of that to try to get to his type. I don’t think cutting off his ear rules out EII, though.

“That’s because there are any number of potential causes that led Van Gogh to famously sever his own ear in 1888, and to
    kill himself two years later. Among the theories floated over the years are bipolar disorder, temporal lobe epilepsy, syphilis, borderline personality disorder, cycloid psychosis, and schizophrenia.”

-
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.ar...53141/amp-page

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Eie-ni? Reminds me a little of Nietzsche, who may also have been EIE-Ni.

TIM
    Ni-IEI sx/sp
    Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

LII-Ne sx/so imo

possibly 5w4

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)