Thread: Movie Reviews

TIM
    Ni-ILI 864 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    Yeah, I think Three Billboards and Wind River might have been my favorites I saw from 2017. Still want to see Lady Bird, The Shape of Water, and I've rented The Darkest Hour, but haven't prioritized it yet.

Still haven't seen Get Out. I've been dragging my feet/not enthusiastic abt it for some reason.
    The Shape of Water was the best movie I've seen in a long time.
    "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools." ― Thucydides

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last movies seen :

Edge of tomorrow 4,5/5
    Cloud Atlas 3/5 the first time years ago, 4/5 after more view
    Coherence 4/5
    Drive 3/5
    Arq 3/5
    I origin 3,5/5
    Relatos Salvajes 4,5/5
    Children of Men 5,01/5
    Interstellar 4/5

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4/5

Subjective rating 2/5

Wasn't interested till 2/3 of the way through. Just not my type of thing. I was somewhat lost and bored. Had to have others explain me what was going on because I had no idea. But I was also drinking wine and cooking while I watched it, but it just didn't keep my attention. Of course Gary Oldman played Winston Churchill so the acting was wonderful, and it was interesting from a historical standpoint. How accurate, idk.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I walked out of the darkest hour. It was liberal revisionist garbage.

I loved Death Wish with Bruce Willis. The original Death Wish was better. Bruce Willis is no Charles Bronson but he's good enough. I didn't like that the robbers lacked the viciousness that the robbers in the original death wish had. It's a necessary setup for the movie that there be more brutality in the break-in scene.

I liked Red Sparrow. I love the gritty realism. I thought the killing and torture scenes were great. "did you give boucher to the americans?" "you gave Boucher to the cute American didn't you?" This movie is not for the easily triggered. At least two people walked out just as the skin-grafting torture scene commenced. But even just the scene with her beating two people with a golf club as they were having sex in the sauna, the image of her leg having broken that it bended like a limp noodle, and the fact the garrot didn't just strangle the man but actually penetrated through his neck, added to the realism and, to be honest, I found it arousing (which means the brutality is realistically depicted). The characters are also three dimensional, and the plot is very clever.

Here's a good article on it:

...Ex CIA Agent Says New Movie Gets Spy Life Right
    Last edited by Kill4Me; 03-11-2018 at 12:02 AM.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3.5/5
    It was suspenseful and intriguing. The style was interesting and I liked how it was done. Lots of well known actors in this...but non of them were really given time to shine because it was so broken up. At times I got the sense I was watching a play and not a movie. I really enjoyed the end and am glad I watched it. I really liked Poirots character and now I want to read an Agatha Christie book

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Panther is overhyped (whoa Teapot, tell me something new). I get why people like it and personally I get all teary eyed when I see how well they managed to merge a beautiful, heartwarming and strong culture with high technological advancement and the Marvel villain actually has some personality ... But the plot is predictable and slow, the humor is lame, the music forgettable (as usual) and the original ending is just meh.

6/10

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4.75/5

I'm a little late to the party here. This came out in 2015, but I thought it's a really great movie and maybe some people haven't seen or heard about it.

But a must do before you watch this movie is to get Pet Sounds and get pumped up on some good virbrations. It makes the whole experience even more enjoyable. Might have done that. No, but this movie was one of the best I've seen in a long time. Definately buy worthy, imo.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.5/5

It was ok. I think it got better towards the end. But I wasn't blown away or anything. Reminded me of Taken, a little bit of Rambo.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.5/5

I'd say this is probably my least favorite Woody Allen movie out of all the ones I've seen.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3.5/5

I've been going on forever about how I haven't taken the time to watch this...but I finally did, and what did I think? Hm. Well, it was original, I'll give it that. I had to cover my eyes a few times because I just couldn't watch, it was the tension, so I'd say that's a mark of a decent movie, if it can get me that worked up

*dont read if you haven't seen*
    Chris's girlfriend, Rose. She was just way too good of an actress. I thought she couldn't possibly be in on this, she sincerely seemed like she cared about him. It was such a 180 that it just seemed unbelievable to me, but I guess she was just a psycho. But how is anyone that good of an actress. Disturbing, unbelievable. Idk.

I liked Chris's character a lot, and his friend Rod-hilarious. Rod added an element of comedy to the movie that I think was a critical element to its success as a decent movie.

Altogether, I liked it. I wouldn't say it's a favorite, but a decent psychological thriller.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4.5/5

I wasn't expecting to like this movie as well as I did.

Really great acting, I thought it was really great movie, and I admit I cried at the end. ..It was also kind of funny in places.

See, movies like this, I don't know how much is truth, but, like what was emphasized in the movie, what truth and whose truth? Maybe it was meant to pull on heartstrings and garner sympathy for Tonya Harding. However, I was really upset at the end, upset she was banned from ice skating, upset for how she was treated by the ice skating association for not being who they wanted her to be (and how they scored her), upset at the press...I just found it really upsetting. I just feel sad for everybody. It's all really unfortunate. I can't really blame her for how she was and how she acted considering how she was raised, anyway, if she did happen to be involved. But I just think it's all very sad and tragic.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4/5

It was a good movie, but I didn't really like it all that much personally...I liked it less than I expected, tbh.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234