Thread: Movie Reviews

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@reverie

So, star wars was 4.5/5 eh? I should go see?

I'm not keen on the star wars, they could be doing so much more. Now it's all owned by the same company, why iron man fighting the jedi etc. Anyway I shall try to fit it into my busy schedule.

Also, 4.5/5? What qualifies for 5

Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scarper View Post
    @reverie

So, star wars was 4.5/5 eh? I should go see?

I'm not keen on the star wars, they could be doing so much more. Now it's all owned by the same company, why iron man fighting the jedi etc. Anyway I shall try to fit it into my busy schedule.

Also, 4.5/5? What qualifies for 5
    lol

Well it's the first movie I've been excited about seeing in a while. Mhm, guess I was excited about It, but it dissapointed me. I feel sort of alone in this. lol. I'm not too impressed with many movies now a days. Either I'm becoming more critical and picky or the quality of movies is declining. Maybe a combination, idk. I feel like there is a lot of reliance on CGI nowadays to compensate for crappy scripts, and they are pumping movies out faster and not spending enough time on quality. That's just how I feel about it.

But I liked it better than the last Star Wars movie that came out, but I liked some of the other Star Wars movies more...TBH, I'm more of a LOTR and HP fan, but I like to indulge in the Star Wars geeky fandom on occasion. If you already aren't a Star Wars fan, you might not like it. Maybe some Star Wars fans weren't impressed either..but it didn't disappoint me and I thought it was worth it. Could it have been better? Probably. But to each their own.

What qualifies for 5? Movies I could get obsessed with and want to watch a lot... been a while since I saw a movie I liked that much and wanted to actually buy it, too.

Captain Fantastic was the last movie I saw I liked that much. It resonated with me on a deep level, one could say. I guess that's what it takes.:

Blade Runner 2049 was supposed to be good, too, but I haven't seen it yet because 1) I'm not a huge fan of the first one 2) I can't stand Ryan Gosling... So maybe it was worth going to see, too. La La Land was good, imo, even if he was in it. Still can't stand him, though. Guy rubs me the wrong way majorly.

TIM
    Artist-Scientist
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reverie View Post

4.5/5

Rarely do I want to see a movie in theaters anymore, but I don't regret seeing this one in theaters. It didn't dissapoint. Might be the only one I enjoyed seeing in the last year, or thought was worth going to see in theaters (but I'm not in the loop as much as I used to be). I'll probably buy it when it comes out.

3.5/5

This surprised me. Had no idea what is was about when I rented it...but it had Daniel Craig in it, and some other good actors, so yeah... Thought it was actually pretty funny. The cast, I thought was pretty good, makes it work and enjoyable. Good chemistry. Same director as Oceans 11/12/13, and you can tell, but I think Oceans was much superior. This is like a hillbilly version of Oceans 11. lol. I wouldn't have went to the theaters and seen it, or would buy it, but worth watching once.
    Last Jedi was great.

Normal... is an illusion ♡ Chae's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE 3w4 SX/SO
    Mentioned
    610 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
    Last Jedi was great.

4.5/5

Rarely do I want to see a movie in theaters anymore, but I don't regret seeing this one in theaters. It didn't dissapoint. Might be the only one I enjoyed seeing in the last year, or thought was worth going to see in theaters (but I'm not in the loop as much as I used to be). I'll probably buy it when it comes out.
    HA! YES!! I join the club 4.7/5.

I first thought 4/5. But after researching the Easter Eggs, everything upgraded. This got me in a party type of mood.

Visit my typing threads if you want! The cast | The characters (it's so empty there, I feel lonely ).

Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Chae

Easter eggs?! I didn't know anything about easter eggs....(will have to research this).

TIM
    IEE 3w4 SX/SO
    Mentioned
    610 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Chae

Easter eggs?! I didn't know anything about easter eggs....(will have to research this).
    Do that, and look for what happened to the old books that they showed/burned in particular. A lot of lines also referred to previous movies.

TIM
    Artist-Scientist
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    HA! YES!! I join the club 4.7/5.

I first thought 4/5. But after researching the Easter Eggs, everything upgraded. This got me in a party type of mood.

Visit my typing threads if you want! The cast | The characters (it's so empty there, I feel lonely ).
    I have a huge crush on Rey. She is just so pretty.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2) I can't stand Ryan Gosling... So maybe it was worth going to see, too. La La Land was good, imo, even if he was in it. Still can't stand him, though. Guy rubs me the wrong way majorly.
    Ah, so I'm not the only one who doesn't like the guy! I just find him excessively bland though. Like a white-washed stepford version of a real person. The cardboard cut-out of whoever he's presenting himself to be with nothing behind it.

TIM
    IEE 3w4 SX/SO
    Mentioned
    610 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
    I have a huge crush on Rey. She is just so pretty.
    Same. Flawless face, and so cute Rose Tico is also a big favorite.

TIM
    IEE 3w4 SX/SO
    Mentioned
    610 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Blade Runner 2049 was supposed to be good, too, but I haven't seen it yet because 1) I'm not a huge fan of the first one 2) I can't stand Ryan Gosling... So maybe it was worth going to see, too. La La Land was good, imo, even if he was in it. Still can't stand him, though. Guy rubs me the wrong way majorly.
    Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Ah, so I'm not the only one who doesn't like the guy! I just find him excessively bland though. Like a white-washed stepford version of a real person. The cardboard cut-out of whoever he's presenting himself to be with nothing behind it.
    Ok hi! What I've been observing. We really have like two big camps on here for the Gos, this guy is just so polarizing Probs because of extreme cp6-ness idk, still struggling to arrive at an accurate typing. Gosh anyway I am here as I need to take a stance, LUV that guy. He's my thing. He either portrays the sweet baby boy into romance or the emotionless avenger fighting for his beloved in some orgy of violence and wtf that shit is so good. The duality of man. Like how! HOW! He's intense.

To bring it back to movie critique. To me, Blade Runner is a good fit for him visually and Ryan complements Harrison. I wrote a review earlier in here Hit me with your reviews in case you've checked it out so we can discuss, either way: pretty epic flick going hard with cinematography and I insist Ryan is an awkward sweetie worthy of a 16types support group Need to gather some people. Ok bye!

TIM
    EII - Ne
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really not into Russian art, but this movie was really beautiful. I enjoy the theme of this movie, I have to say there were scenes that were uncomfortably too sweet, but it's a fairytale so I think it's legit this time. 8/10

INFP
    4w3 - 7w6 - 9w1
    Fi>Ni>Ne>Fe>Si>Ti>Te>Se
    Melacholic

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just saw Star Wars TLJ last night and I thought it was decent overall. I don't think it is as good as critics are making it out to be, but I don't think it is as bad as many audience think it is. Rarely do you see a film that is generally positive by critics and negative by the audience. Usually, it is the other way around.

Anyways, I think the movie was a half hour too long. They could of done away with a subplot in the film involving two characters to shorten the film. Aside from that, the twists were interesting, but not necessarily amazing either. Worth watching if you are a Star Wars or Sci-Fi fan as there are many enjoyable moments.

3.5/5
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3.5/5

I've been wanting to see this for a while, ever since I saw the stills and found out it was directed by Sofia Coppola. First off, I'd like to say it's a beautiful movie. Maybe my third favorite movie aesthetics followed by Marie Antoinette and Far From the Madding Crowd. It was also a pretty good thriller, but maybe slightly predictable. Great actors and general mood. Wasn't blown away by it, though.

Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4/5

Had no idea what it was about when I rented it. Other people said it looked dumb that I was with, but I said let's give it 10 minutes and if it sucks we can watch something else. Well it turns out it wasn't dumb at all, imo. A pretty good movie. Baby was likable and the story was interesting.

TIM
    SLI 512 sp/so
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@reverie I loved it <3 - agree with your score
    {{{ post.meaningful_quote }}}

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 02.49.04.png

Lady Bird is a definite 4/5 for me. I would've given it a perfect score except for one obvious cliche that happens in the movie. But the performances are breathtakingly real here, the cinematography is simple but gorgeous, and I'm a sucker for the landscape shots because it gives me bittersweet memories of my childhood in California. This was a movie that took me back to my roots and reminded me that no matter how much you talk about the place you come from, especially if you reflect on the good or bad memories, that your family and roots are apart of you. It's your choice of where you choose to go in life when choosing to leave the nest. This was a tear-jerking, insightful, and effective watch.

Yeah. I love Pokémon.

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently re-watched The Garden of Words. The second paragraph will contain a few mild spoilers.

The Garden of Words is a story about two characters: a young male student (Takao Akizuki) and a mysterious adult woman (Yukari Yukino) who touch base with each other on days where it rains. It initially starts off as an accidental meeting between two strangers, but, as time goes on, it happens so frequently that eventually the pair silently agree to meet with each other at the garden whenever it rains. Takao is an aspiring shoemaker and it's that treasured pastime which becomes the main point of conversation between him and Yukari, wherein he sheds his usually reticent deportment in favor of a talkative personality where he freely opens up to Yakuri about his pastime, which seems to be an opportunity rarely granted to him in his everyday life. Yukari's side of the story is kept hush-hush until about halfway through the movie where we start to get little peeks into who she is and what she does.

I've never been good at writing movie reviews, but what I found interesting about the crux of the movie reviews written for The Garden of Words is that quite a few Western viewers took issue with the quiet nature of the "romance", which I felt was missing the point because romance was never meant to be the focal point of their story. It played a part, especially from Takao's perspective, but the plot centralizes around the impromptu bond that materializes between two lonely people. There's a Japanese term for this bond: "koi", which means "a sense of longing for companionship in solitude", which - in the context of The Garden of Words - is shown by Takao and Yukari finding solace in each other in times of loneliness and hardship. I think Makoto Shinkai has always taken an authentic and characteristically Japanese approach to human relationships where little is verbalized but a lot is done. It's just done quietly, but I feel like that sense of subtlety is lost on Western viewers who want a quick and fiery "Romeo and Juliet" style love affair. They're viewing it through the wrong lens. Here, it's always the simple stuff, there's a focus on companionship where romantic love usually takes a backseat to platonic love.

If anything, I'd recommend the movie to anybody who admires high quality animation. And it's only 46 minutes long. I posted a GIF of one of my favorite scenes from the movie above, but I seriously don't feel like anything I find online will do it justice. I've never known how to rate movies because either I'm telling everyone and their moms about the movie I just watched, or it's something I forget about until someone mentions it to me years later.
    awldjkwepierpgokqweølfqøerlkfdaergnhtm¨å¨æ''-we-fqpoeufasdøflthøljwtlhkjrøtlhhhhhhhhhhsapfoeporipr

Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3/5

Confession: I haven't seen the first one. I don't like to watch movies out of order, but I saw this at the library and they didn't have the first, but I thought, whatever, I'll give it a go.

At first I didn't like it. Thought the fighting scene in the beginning was corny and that it was going to be dumb. But as the movie progressed, I began to like it more. However. There were some scenes in this movie I found deeply disturbing, involving a meat grinder, that I will never be able to erase from my mind. A little too unapologetically violent for me. But,

Elton John is in it and improved this movie X100. Elton kicking ass in a peacock costume with his music in the background? Priceless. I was in bliss the whole time. Bless the Elton! He's just so endearing to me!

Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4/5

Something genius about this in its simplicity, metaphor, and depth. Will need to watch again as I had a ton of distractions during the movie and had to return.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123