Thread: Hypersensitivity to voice tone

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Hypersensitivity to voice tone

I'm posting this thread in the psychology subforum since I'm not sure how much socionics factors into this. It might be more of a psychological issue.

Throughout my life I have been hyper-sensitive to peoples' tone of voice. Often times I will think they are yelling or angry at me. In reality they might just be a little anxious or excited but for some reason my brain magnifies that and I feel 'threatened' by their voice somehow.

Occasionally it has gotten me in trouble when I have told people to 'calm down' or asked them 'why are you so upset?" when they don't think they are upset at all. Also many times they may not even be all that aware of their tone of voice.

Most other people do not seem to share that level of sensitivity. What I perceive as 'yelling' they perceive as 'normal' or 'acceptable.'

When people are angry at me, I just can't seem to constructively handle it and that is one of my biggest weaknesses. Sometimes peoples' excessive anger can make me physically ill when it's directed towards me and there is no easy 'escape' from the situation. My muscles literally tense up, my heart starts to pound, etc. I think it could tie into Se PoLR to some degree but I'm not sure. It also sounds more anxiety related perhaps.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Is is socionics related or more psychological? Or maybe both?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hypothesis: Low ethical function, high logical function. The latter tries to analyze while the emotional component is not metabolized properly (misinterpreted, unfiltered or ignored).

I experience the same effect to some degree, but I tried to accumulate the knowledge to interpret the tonality.

Your reaction to anger really sounds like Se polr, can you explain it a bit more? I too am sensitive to someone's anger/ angry voice but I know the dynamics, anger is a response of someone who is threatened and feels controlled. So when I know a person is angry at me, I know that I have exerted power over them. I either a) compromise to reestablish the imbalance or b) figure out why the person has developed this weak spot in the first place to find a solution according to the situation.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Do you mean that Fe+Si is the most hypersensitive or Fe+Si is doing the most yelling? I assume you mean the former.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think I'm averse to "too much noise", and find certain atmospheres oppressive, overbearing, and/or too volatile that others may not. I think that is likely to be a reflection of personality and ingrained habits.

There is a hypothesised condition called: Misophonia, but I'm sure there are other related conditions also.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are you not alpha?

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one time, and no I'm not proud of it and yes I could have handled it differently, but I did yell at, in my view, a EII at work. She just shut right down... all she could focus on was my tone. Its as though it hadn't occured to her that I was more concerned with our safety being on the highway at rush hour whilst traffic drive past us at 100km/hr and that a sense of urgency trumps feeling good about each other. To her my tone of voice was a reflection of my childhood tramua in foster care (which I regretted telling her). I think it had more to do with (in my head) no you dumb cunt hurry the frig up because the situation on the high right this second could lead to disaster and I don't care if you are technically my supervisor because your slow working is going to get us killed.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    How are you not alpha?
    Because I'm not the leader of the pack.

You say I "lack any real Fi" which I don't quite agree. I may be an LII, but Fi is my role and it nonetheless plays a significant impact in my life. My subtype probably magnifies that to some degree.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This one time, and no I'm not proud of it and yes I could have handled it differently, but I did yell at, in my view, a EII at work. She just shut right down... all she could focus on was my tone. Its as though it hadn't occured to her that I was more concerned with our safety being on the highway at rush hour whilst traffic drive past us at 100km/hr and that a sense of urgency trumps feeling good about each other. To her my tone of voice was a reflection of my childhood tramua in foster care (which I regretted telling her). I think it had more to do with (in my head) no you dumb cunt hurry the frig up because the situation on the high right this second could lead to disaster and I don't care if you are technically my supervisor because your slow working is going to get us killed.
    Learning how to drive was the worst for me. Because I could not help but getting yelled at. Of course the driving instructor had to. I probably wouldn't have survived otherwise. So I understand where you're coming from but I still hate to be yelled at even if its inevitable sometimes.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chips and underwear View Post
    Learning how to drive was the worst for me. Because I could not help but getting yelled at. Of course the driving instructor had to. I probably wouldn't have survived otherwise. So I understand where you're coming from but I still hate to be yelled at even if its inevitable sometimes.
    In this instance we were actually on the highway- not driving- but directing traffic into a single lane in order to work on the landscaping on the meridian. I would never yell in a car.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mean that Fe+Si is the most hypersensitive or Fe+Si is doing the most yelling? I assume you mean the former.
    The former essentially. Arguably it is mostly about Si, as @wacey's example (which does sound EIIish) demonstrates, though an EII would probably use different language to describe it.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But does anyone in this thread know that you have HSP?

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Croissants and Coffee View Post
    But does anyone in this thread know that you have HSP?
    They do now.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

I'm posting this thread in the psychology subforum since I'm not sure how much socionics factors into this. It might be more of a psychological issue.

Throughout my life I have been hyper-sensitive to peoples' tone of voice. Often times I will think they are yelling or angry at me. In reality they might just be a little anxious or excited but for some reason my brain magnifies that and I feel 'threatened' by their voice somehow.

Occasionally it has gotten me in trouble when I have told people to 'calm down' or asked them 'why are you so upset?" when they don't think they are upset at all. Also many times they may not even be all that aware of their tone of voice.

Most other people do not seem to share that level of sensitivity. What I perceive as 'yelling' they perceive as 'normal' or 'acceptable.'
    I can kind of relate, although I don't feel like I can't deal so much as it's less comfortable, ..

When people have things that they're not dealing with, and they're free floating I feel like they should be dealt with before continuning. And it kind of bugs me when people don't say things, or express things, and just bottle shit up.

Not everyone wants to admit when they're upset, and a lot of people like to repress emotions.

When people are angry at me, I just can't seem to constructively handle it and that is one of my biggest weaknesses. Sometimes peoples' excessive anger can make me physically ill when it's directed towards me and there is no easy 'escape' from the situation. My muscles literally tense up, my heart starts to pound, etc. I think it could tie into Se PoLR to some degree but I'm not sure. It also sounds more anxiety related perhaps.
    This is where I depart. I can handle other people being angry at me fine. I don't tense up, etc.

So for me, I relate slightly differently. If people ask for things, or communicate, I don't like ambiguity, impatience, bad attitude etc.

I also don't like it when people are too excited, but it's pretty mild. Like I just like people to calm down a little when they get over excited, and get excited about big things not minor things.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

If we want to stick to socionics, it seems like weak unvalued Se and weak Fe together.

I get asked sometimes by some people like that, "calm down", "why upset". :shrug In those cases, I definitely have a bit of extra intensity going on and I do relate it to Se, but I really can't see it as truly being upset or losing control or anything like that, lol.

How I treat it when people get angry and direct it towards me is, I just watch everything, from their facial expression to their actions and what they are saying to make sense of what's up. This comes with an extra-calm attitude actually. Basically, I size up the situation quickly enough to see how strong the aggression is and then the rest I'll make sense of via logic before I make my response, in most cases.

Do you feel anything bad could happen, like, they could pose a real physical danger to you or what is it that makes you so anxious? I'm just trying to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Hypothesis: Low ethical function, high logical function. The latter tries to analyze while the emotional component is not metabolized properly (misinterpreted, unfiltered or ignored).

I experience the same effect to some degree, but I tried to accumulate the knowledge to interpret the tonality.

Your reaction to anger really sounds like Se polr, can you explain it a bit more? I too am sensitive to someone's anger/ angry voice but I know the dynamics, anger is a response of someone who is threatened and feels controlled. So when I know a person is angry at me, I know that I have exerted power over them. I either a) compromise to reestablish the imbalance or b) figure out why the person has developed this weak spot in the first place to find a solution according to the situation.
    No, anger is not necessarily a response of someone who feels threatened/controlled. That sounds too passive actually.

You have an interesting Ni approach to handling such situations though.

Lol did she actually say it was a reflection of your childhood trauma??

I do find Se PoLR of EII works like that, though, about not considering the actual situation.
    Last edited by Myst; 11-06-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't consider myself hypersensitive to voice tone, however a lot of information about people's attitudes and intentions will filter in at once (in part due to their voice tone) and then i must repress my desire to tell them how much i think they are ego-driven and full of themselves--because i have this terrible punishing side to me that i'm trying to deal with lately so i don't turn into something awful. naturally i'm speaking from a customer service standpoint, as if i could i would just leave such people with no explanation (because they do not deserve one). i am sensitive to being shouted at, but i had an abusive/dangerous parent and it's kind of a trigger to all those memories. i am not opposed to being shouted at though, because it's like the only way to overcome that. so i kind of wish more people were like that around me because if i can get past the initial fear/tears, i could finally *stand up*. at this point i see it as a welcome challenge. i don't need to *win* or anything, i just would like to for once not crumble. they can win. it's fine.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    Do you feel anything bad could happen, like, they could pose a real physical danger to you or what is it that makes you so anxious? I'm just trying to understand.
    I think it's because I sense aggression in there. When they are aggressive they are not always reasonable. You can't talk 'nicely' to them and expect them to understand or comply with you. Also angry people often say hurtful and humiliating things. I am hypersensitive to that is well. Finally, there is probably some subconscious fear of getting beat up or something. Of possibly getting hurt for real on a physical level and having to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    I do find Se PoLR of EII works like that, though, about not considering the actual situation.
    LII too for that matter.

By the way, I am now convinced I am LII and not EII. Thanks to you, Wacey, and a few others whose names I cannot recall right now.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

I think it's because I sense aggression in there. When they are aggressive they are not always reasonable. You can't talk 'nicely' to them and expect them to understand or comply with you. Also angry people often say hurtful and humiliating things. I am hypersensitive to that is well. Finally, there is probably some subconscious fear of getting beat up or something. Of possibly getting hurt for real on a physical level and having to fight back.
    Oh the last part is what could be handled by you trying to size up the actual situation more. I dunno how good advice this is for an Se PoLR?

The part on hurtful/humiliating things, I'm not sure what advice I can give there other than not taking it too hard and instead looking at how to respond back to that. But again, that's Se advice I guess. The first part of the advice maybe can be done without Se too?

LII too for that matter.
    Yeah but the way EII does it, it's just completely insensible, I have never seen that about LIIs, they can consider at least the logical aspects of the situation. I find they may still react in strange (to me) ways but it's far from the EII madness. Strictly my pov And btw I do try to help them sometimes, it's not like I'm just hating on EIIs.

By the way, I am now convinced I am LII and not EII. Thanks to you, Wacey, and a few others whose names I cannot recall right now.
    Finally! How did wacey convince you? =)

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I find physical activity to be a really good remedy for these kinds of anxieties. When I'm working hard on something, like unloading a huge truck at work for example, I'll enter beast mode and words other people and criticisms would suddenly seem petty. The best way become immune to aggression is to expose yourself to it as much as you can, immerse your self in it, and become one with it. If you don't want to be the hunted, you will have to become the hunter.

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this problem. I'm super sensitive to voice tone. I try to stick with people who are good communicators who don't confuse me. Last night I was playing Attack on Titan (when you play online there's no way to turn off voice chat unless you disable your microphone) and this Italian guy was playing and yelling at people in the background like he didn't know the game was recording his voice. So I said hi and then it was like he struggled to say hi, maybe he doesn't know English. Then I ended up in a game where the person hosting didn't know how to start the game and this Russian man was raging real loud at the host to start the game. So I said I'd host and he calmed down and started talking English when he heard an English speaker. But I clammed up and got nervous in those games. But that's a recent example from yesterday. I get super sensitive of how people are talking to me and with people I know well. I try to stick to people who can communicate effectively so I don't get nervous wondering if someone is secretly upset at me.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mintwind View Post
    I have this problem. I'm super sensitive to voice tone. I try to stick with people who are good communicators who don't confuse me. Last night I was playing Attack on Titan (when you play online there's no way to turn off voice chat unless you disable your microphone) and this Italian guy was playing and yelling at people in the background like he didn't know the game was recording his voice. So I said hi and then it was like he struggled to say hi, maybe he doesn't know English. Then I ended up in a game where the person hosting didn't know how to start the game and this Russian man was raging real loud at the host to start the game. So I said I'd host and he calmed down and started talking English when he heard an English speaker. But I clammed up and got nervous in those games. But that's a recent example from yesterday. I get super sensitive of how people are talking to me and with people I know well. I try to stick to people who can communicate effectively so I don't get nervous wondering if someone is secretly upset at me.
    This thread is really, really interesting.

When I first read mintwind's post, I wondered who, if anyone, might have yelled at her in the past, and could this have produced a sensitivity to being yelled at? (I was coming at this from the perspective that it might be a psychological problem, rather than a socionics trait.) But then I remembered that mintwind self-types as ESI e2, and an EII e2 whom I know is also very sensitive to the way people speak to her. (And this might point toward a socionics origin of the problem.) The EII e2 is constantly trying to guess how the people around her feel about her. She is intelligent, she is great at her job, she looks great, and she carries herself very well (and I frequently seek her advice), but she worries all the time about what other people think of her, which seems very strange to me.
    The EII e2 told me that her father didn't say very much, like John Wayne, but he had strong views, such as, "I'm always right. Any idiot can see that." and "It's my way or the highway". So, I assume that she spent a lot of time trying to guess what her father was thinking, with very little other than tone of voice to go on.
    FWIW, my SLI-Te ex is also very sensitive to voice tone (she had an extremely critical LSE father), but her response to anger is to hide her response behind a cool, logical facade, and to suppress the fact that anything is wrong.
    Strangely enough, my mother also yelled and could be thoughtlessly cruel (and was physically violent), and I too am hyper-aware of voice modulations. I don't freeze up when I hear danger signals (maybe because I got to a point where I was able to physically prevent her from hitting me, while a woman with a stronger father might never get to that point), but I do listen to tone of voice.

OK, so we have an e2 (mintwind), an e5 (I assume - Chips and Underwear), and an e8 (Adam) all being hypersensitive to voice tone, but with each one having different reactions to what we might see an another person's anger.
    I've kind of talked my way into thinking that this is a psychological problem brought about by environment, but the way we respond to it is determined by our socionics (or enneagram) type.

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A possible explanation is that you're perpetually anxious but you're so used to it that you don't think of it, and that leads you to misinterpret people's voice tone. It seems to me like being "jumpy" but with speech cues instead of just physically being startled easily and that's it.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verbrannte View Post
    A possible explanation is that you're perpetually anxious but you're so used to it that you don't think of it, and that leads you to misinterpret people's voice tone. It seems to me like being "jumpy" but with speech cues instead of just physically being startled easily and that's it.
    I'll also add that I do startle easily and I do have issues with anxiety which probably magnifies this problem.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well I just think it's objectively annoying, I have a family member whose voice is way too loud and everybody keeps telling her to quiet down. She also isn't really the best person ethically or anything, which of course doesn't help- but it's more to do with the fact that it's just painful rather than anything moral? And it's very shrilly and like it could break glass and just very painful/offensive. I mean I'm SE dual seeking and I don't like that shit... so NTR.

If you put a bullet through anybody's chest they would feel the pain right? If you are naturally sensitive it doesn't help and things other people can shrug off feel like bullet wounds, so I would just focus on raising ur barriers and 'me time' as much as possible. Take a hot relaxing bath, listening to soothing music etc. Say no to people without feeling guilty and focus on what can bring you back into balance.

I appreciate people who can talk softly and nicely actually it feels like this refreshing rare gem esp. in american society lol. As for people being cruel and rude - I can handle that just fine, I just laugh it off really. It's only annoying if they pretend to have some sorta moral high ground in addition to the cruelty. Or are faux-compassionate like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting thread. I think voice tone is really important it's like dreams, you go through conscious life feeling some particular way and convincing yourself this is correct but underneath there is something else more subtle. When you sleep you have these moods revealed to you symbolically in dreams. Voice tone is like that, it's so natural that you don't really realize it but you are putting out all these micro expressions and inflections. There's what's being said and then there's really what's being said.

An interesting example are the English and French. You have the typical example of English people saying "Ello love" and stuff, while French people stereotypically are a bit tighter about stuff like that. Well it's not really supposed to be confusing though even though the English are always so thick saying this to everyone "you want a spot a tea love!" because you are supposed to pick up on the tone of voice and content. If you were autistic and lacked this ability it would be really hard to get by in life. So you have this form of English slang that takes this to the extreme where it's highly contextual and almost makes no sense in terms of common language, kind of like the Cockney slang. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent to this in French though that is highly contextual, but of course I don't speak much French .

Well English and French have a long history going hand and hand, and they share a lot of common words. Then there's America, and especially all the states and cities and regional dialects. Different mannerisms and idioms for different places. That's the framework I guess but a lot of these idioms develop in step with the spirit of the culture. So at the cutting edge people are always bending the rules a little to fit in the right expression. This is sort of the veil that everyone wears to try to express things the tools but communication is more fundamental I would think. I'm probably crazy but I put a lot of focus into trying to "know" what people are actually saying-- still not the sharpest tool though sadly. However, I try to pick up what I can. Though whats really useful for me 95% of the time is "plain english" like you read in the newspaper. I don't like walking around paranoid about every micro expression, plus life would really suck like that.
    Last edited by LinguiniPig; 01-01-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found this interesting as people often accuse me of yelling or being angry when I don't think I am at all. People seem to think I'm unduly forceful. I have a difficult time seeing those traits in myself, but I obviously have them.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kind of have the same problem. I'm not necessarily sensitive to voice tone, but just loud noises/voices in general. I can understand the tone of voice correctly, but I just pick up TOO much of their tone of voice or facial expression or body language or whatever. Even if they are a slightest bit of angry, I pick it up. Even if there's a mild annoyance in their voice, I pick it up.

I also have problem speaking loudly myself. What other people hear as "normal" voice sounds to me like I'm "yelling".
    Last edited by Singu; 03-06-2017 at 06:01 PM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does it happen in every situation? Or just in social settings?

I don't like people who suddenly interrupt something (intellectual) I'm doing to criticize / yell / w-e at me. I can suddenly tell them to fuck off even if they're my boss. In social settings I just find it stupid

On the other hand if I'm doing any sort of physical labor or sports I don't mind being yelled at or yelling, actually it seems to be a pretty natural form of communication for those kind of tasks.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    I kind of have the same problem. I'm not necessarily sensitive to voice tone, but just loud noises/voices in general. I can understand the tone of voice correctly, but I just pick up TOO much of their tone of voice or facial expression or body language or whatever. Even if they are slightest the bit of angry, I pick it up. Even if there's a mild annoyance in their voice, I pick it up.
    Oh, yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    I also have problem speaking loudly myself. What other people hear as "normal" voice sounds to me like I'm "yelling".
    I can speak loudly if I have to but normally prefer not to. But the ironic thing is I've been told I have a naturally loud voice anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Does it happen in every situation? Or just in social settings?
    All types of situations.

I don't like people who suddenly interrupt something (intellectual) I'm doing to criticize / yell / w-e at me. I can suddenly tell them to fuck off even if they're my boss. In social settings I just find it stupid
    Same here.

On the other hand if I'm doing any sort of physical labor or sports I don't mind being yelled at or yelling, actually it seems to be a pretty natural form of communication for those kind of tasks.
    I can't tolerate yelling in these situations either even though there might be some need for it. Like team sports for example, you might yell at a teammate so they can hear you and because quick timing can be everything. I still hate it and that's a large reason why I avoid team sports and other similar situations.

Quote Originally Posted by sorrowsofyoungwerther View Post
    Well a couple things:
    I think it could be socionics related as it sounds like Se Polr with Fi.
    However, both EII and ESE will "shut down" when people are yelling at them or mad at them. If a bad mood is directed at us it is highly highly stressful. We will sometimes try to help or solve the problem.
    I typically block it out or shut it down and don't really handle it constructively at all if someone is mad at me.
    When people are excited or nervous, or angry at someone else I actually don't mind as I like to talk about their emotions-as long as they are just venting and I am just listening.
    I am LII but I do have an Fi role function that's significant enough.
    I can handle others' excitement, nervousness, or anger not directed at me as long as its toned down to some degree. Out of control emotions I don't know how to handle. If someone just says something like "I'm nervous/angry/excited/etc." but they can say it in a rather calm manner even if they feel differently on the inside I can deal with it much better.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally I'll only yell at you if you yelled first. If you're going to put me on the spot and make me listen to your barking while giving me no legitimate way to respond, you're just asking for the old fight-or-flight reaction.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Say whatever and if it continues then bit more whateverness and finally walk away... The ultimate solution.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relate to it to some extend though things have changed for me in recent years and can 'handle' it much better.

As for being startled easily i know it's common for PTSD but that may be unrelated in your context (i also realize this is an old thread)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For the topic, I also recommend Cassandra's thread on Markova stacks.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    For the topic, I also recommend Cassandra's thread on Markova stacks.
    I'm KVA, kinesthetic-visual-auditory.

The fact I have auditory in the third position might make me more sensitive to auditory input, including voice tone.

Kinesthetic first might explain why I sometimes feel the disharmony in voice tone in my body.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm KVA, kinesthetic-visual-auditory.

The fact I have auditory in the third position might make me more sensitive to auditory input, including voice tone.

Kinesthetic first might explain why I sometimes feel the disharmony in voice tone in my body.
    Yesss, I figured. Maybe you could compensate through visual somewhat?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're like me in this respect, do you also notice that you are more sensitive when people are being negative? It's like people loose all manners when they're negative, even in a work scenario when they're delivering negative feedback it just seems like bitching instead.

I told a boss SLI i'd had once that it's not the feedback itself that bothered me the bad feedback seemed like a luxury compared to the manner and tone of voice he was using, it's like all his guards went down and he took the opportunity to bitch and whine instead. Really displeasing.

I said to this boss: "just be polite about it" lol to his mind he was probably being ultra polite haha

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    If you're like me in this respect, do you also notice that you are more sensitive when people are being negative? It's like people loose all manners when they're negative, even in a work scenario when they're delivering negative feedback it just seems like bitching instead.

I said to this boss: "just be polite about it" lol to his mind he was probably being ultra polite haha
    In my experience people don't react well when you try to correct their behavior like this (and especially people in positions of authority). It's ultimately easier to change your own reactions, although it can take years of spiritual work.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I admit, I am sensitive to tone of voice, how things are said. My concern is that they are hiding something in that tone that is not stated. It bothers me when they are doing so to assert some sort of perceived dominance. I find they want me to react a certain way or to create a certain effect. Mostly, it when people are pissy and condescending that bother me. I prefer business style and soulful style communication, so it is either polite and professional, or heartfelt and sincere.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes to this.

I told a boss SLI i'd had once that it's not the feedback itself that bothered me the bad feedback seemed like a luxury compared to the manner and tone of voice he was using, it's like all his guards went down and he took the opportunity to bitch and whine instead. Really displeasing.

How it is said tends to matter to me alot more than what it is said.

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there any chance you could be on the high functioning end of the autism spectrum? My aspergers friends are all like this. lol
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast