Thread: The Socionics Cycle of the Forum

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Arrow The Socionics Cycle of the Forum

I was just discussing the forum with Brilliand, and I mentioned that we were now low on Alphas (even with an Alpha owner), whereas in his day there were many Alphas and much theorizing. He suggested that the forum was going downhill, and I agreed, "Always going downhill, never reaching bottom." Because it's been "going downhill" for several years but doesn't change much as far as I see. Then Brilliand mentioned this:

Alphas discover.
    Betas fight over.
    Gammas make use of.
    Deltas enjoy.

The age of the Alphas was the age of theorizing. Ideas kept being offered. Some were interesting, some were dumb, some were unnecessarily complicated. But the theory side of the theory blossomed.

I agreed that the age of Alphas was over. Brilliand figured that meant we were in the age of Betas now. But I proclaimed, "We're in the age of Gammas!" Because from what I see, the most common forumites are Gamma. And it didn't used to be that way. But Brilliand remembered the Age of Betas.

The age of the Betas was the age of conflict. Fighting. Drama. Remember that? It wasn't too long ago. Yes, there's still drama. There always has been. But I'm thinking of the time when people were heading up rebellions. There were factions.

The Age of the Gammas is what we have now. People aren't adding to the theory, and the fighting has died down. Now people are taking the theory and considering what can be made from it. Some charts? A new online test? A roleplay? We will see what comes out of the Age of Gammas.

So when most of the forumites are Delta, you'll know the forum is truly dying. ...or maybe the cycle will be renewed.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now all these memories will be lost...like tears in rain.

Time to die.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I've been through the beginning from alpha to beta to gamma. Alpha stage was the stage where people actually cared about Socionics and the beta stage was when there is always some new explosive drama going on for the week. The gamma stage is pretty chill, which is hard to complain about.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may have something there with the general atmosphere of the forum. But I don't agree that "the most common forumites are Gamma." The plurality is Beta, and this is possibly even more true now than it used to be. We see a consistent pattern of intuitive types, and more often Ti valuers, being the predominant demographic in socionics forums, with a smattering of other types. Some Delta NFs, some SEIs, some Gamma NTs (less than you might expect), some Se egos (more than you might expect), hardly any LSEs, ESEs, or SLIs.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

LSEs and ESEs have a lot of stuff to fit into a day and SLIs are on the couch, taking a nap. I don't think there are that many betas over here, alpha quadra is more significant somehow.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Going merely by the quadra thread stats, Beta prevalence is still suggested - or are the Gamma types simply less redundant? Delta has the most posts in general, that doesn't make any sense

stats.PNG
    @Raver - what kind of chill though? (I'm playing devil's advocate here)

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Going merely by the quadra thread stats, Beta prevalence is still suggested - or are the Gamma types simply less redundant? Delta has the most posts in general, that doesn't make any sense

stats.PNG
    @Raver - what kind of chill though? (I'm playing devil's advocate here)
    There's very little drama in this forum compared to the past generally speaking. There's not as much hostility towards specific forum members. Don't get me wrong, there's still some, but it's minute nowadays compared to how it used to be.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    There's very little drama in this forum compared to the past generally speaking. There's not as much hostility towards specific forum members. Don't get me wrong, there's still some, but it's minute nowadays compared to how it used to be.
    Ahh, well that's superb.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't that just a natural cycle of thought though?

You get a new area of study, so people come up with lots of ideas to examine. People are going to argue and fight for their ideas, until the better ideas are generally accepted, occam's razor and all that. After that, there's not much left to argue about; people are just going to use what brings the most clarity. Don't all types do this? But yeah, I guess if group thought was typed into an overall quadra, this cycle makes sense. But I don't see how it would represent a demographic of types.

my opinion or whatever.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strangeling View Post
    Isn't that just a natural cycle of thought though?

You get a new area of study, so people come up with lots of ideas to examine. People are going to argue and fight for their ideas, until the better ideas are generally accepted, occam's razor and all that.
    I wish that happened in socionics.

TIM
    Extrovert and Happy.
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Don't know what was like before me but I sure do feel it's in some kind of really deep pit right now.
    Except for impaired empathy, an ordinary guy who's looking for down-to-earth, loving, loyal friends and a geeky, warm, voluptuous girlfriend!

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This forum is super dramatic at least imo. People don't seem to be able to be involved in a level headed discussion without getting insulted or offended about something. Not going to name any names but I can think of a few needlessly dramatic people who have arbitrarily decided not to like me . shrugs

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

lol, the complaints in this particular thread are so ironically amusing to me, because it makes me think that the more things change the more they really stay the same. <3

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    I wish that happened in socionics.
    imo, it does with long-time members that don't mind constantly refining their understanding of things. But I guess if you include everyone, then you're right. Oh well whatever.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    lol, the complaints in this particular thread are so ironically amusing to me, because it makes me think that the more things change the more they really stay the same. <3
    One arrogant jerk is replaced with a different arrogant jerk.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    NiTe
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post

stats.PNG
    being both decisive (Se-valuing creates a steeper slope) and democratic, gamma types would have the least group unity and the lowest sense of group loyalty. Those who are quite infatuated with 'being gamma' tend to come over as mistyped betas, on balance

Se-valuers also tend to be a bit less discursive; these two solid conclusions should explain the thread and viewing statistics despite a fair quantity of gamma forumites in 2016

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Forums are used mainly for noobs flood and their naive types talks. Also noobs rarely are able to understand what is said to them due to lack of competence, when there are those who knows something, understands and says useful.
    Who is interested in types and not in flooding have small interest in Internet talkings. It's rare when people with an experience in types use forums.

Linking of things alike new ideas about types with quadra values is funny.
    It can be linked with T types to some degree. Which are interested in a knowledge more than in a chating.
    Among evident criterions - look in what themes a human posts more, is it about types or other. People of F types, more often than Ts, mainly and sometimes with high overweight post not about types on typology forums. Even may whine to forbid to say opinions about types on typology sites, when those are not emotionally pleasant for them by any reason.
    Last edited by Sol; 12-30-2023 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Forums are used mainly for noobs flood and their naive types talks. Also noobs rarely are able to understand what is said to them due to lack of competence, when there are those who knows something, understands and says useful.
    Who is interested in types and not in flooding have small interest in Internet talkings.
    ^^^

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stasis 'till sudden death.

Black & white is a shallow divide, division is the color that multiplies

Taking things at face value is good only for a spell

To experience is simple, to explain is divine

Hearts of stone are a dead giveaway: no movement