Thread: Subteigh's Religious Questions

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Religion Discussion (Subt and Eliza Great Paragraphs Splitoff)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Words of St. Daniel, in Heaven, to us, about Heaven"

"My brothers and sisters have difficulty separating from their earthly lives. You must begin to see your soul as a separate entity from this world. Your body, your life here, these are the vehicles with which your soul is sanctified. So your life is really a means to an end. You are here to gain eternity. You are here to serve God during your exile from heaven. You have been told you are to earn heaven here and that is true. But dear friends, let me assure you, having been in both places, we, none of us, merit heaven. When you live for Christ, earth is a joyful place to be. When you serve Christ on earth and come to heaven? There are no words. I cannot convey it to you except to say that every one of your greatest, most beyond belief hopes for heaven will be satisfied and your experience here will so far exceed that expectation that you will not believe you ever harbored hopes so low. Imagine being able to fly with no assistance except your will. You could fly as high, as low, as fast, as slow, and as often as you liked. You could go anywhere. The wind on your face would fill you with rejoicing. You would laugh aloud for the joy of it. You would delight in the joy of others who also experienced this perfect ability.* Imagine never feeling too cold or too hot. Always you feel perfectly balanced with the elements, unless you suddenly crave warmth or cold. Then it is there for your enjoyment. I am probably making a mistake by trying to convey to you the smallest portion of heaven because it is impossible. Yet I feel I must give you some idea of why you are to be selfless for a small time. Imagine being with the people you loved, but always with the most perfect understanding of each other. What adventures you will share.
    Dear brothers and sisters, never worry about death. Please. Death is the greatest liberation you can imagine. God has the day of your death already established. It will come. And you will be ready if you serve Christ. You will have no regrets. You would not want to surrender your body to Jesus and feel as though you missed the whole point of your life. Serve, my beloved friends. Serve. Serve Jesus. Serve each other. Serve strangers. Serve."

Chinese
    Hrvatski (Croatian)
    Danish
    Dutch
    French
    Magyar (Hungarian)
    Italian
    Indonesian
    Lietuvos (Lithuanian)
    Norsk (Norwegian)
    Polish
    Portuguese
    Rysyjski (Russian)
    juːˈkreɪniən (Ukrainian)

I fear that such an attitude leads to a mentality that treats this mortal life as being of little or no value, which at its worse, can be used to "justify" great acts of evil (I don't believe in evil, as I don't believe in absolute standards of morality for subjective beings, although I nonetheless think that basing your ideology on such absolutes is close to the definition of evil). At its best, it places no value on improving the lives of people beyond what they see as a useful means for making people members of their dogmatic ideology.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Subteigh, this isn't logical!

Here is a reasonable synopsis of St. Daniel's words above:
    1) Heaven is terrific, you will love it.
    2) You've been told you need to earn Heaven and that's true ["Work out your own salvation in fear and trembling"]
    3) but NONE of us, not one, here in Heaven, has merited Heaven [Jesus paid it all].
    4) So don't worry about death.
    5) You will have regret if you are not ready for Heaven, so - serve! Serve each other, serve strangers.

He is only urging us to serve others, and strangers. ["What you have done for the least of these, you have done for me"]. How in the world can narrowing down our duty as Christians to "serving each other and serving strangers" be an instruction used to justify acts of evil?? That's kind of crazy, Subteigh. Not at all logical. Serving others bring peace to the world, and makes it a better place. This is not at all "close to the definition of evil". Isn't it reasonable to say that is kind of frightening is a person who thinks a dogma that simply says: "serve others" is evil.

I think you are prejudiced, Subteigh, and it's blinding you. I think when i write about the things I believe in, when it involves the Christian faith, you are completely blinded, and your responses are just knee-jerk reactions from your steeped-in prejudice, and thats why it makes no sense at all. At least, certainly in this case.
    Anjezë of Üsküp/Teresa of Calcutta for example packed children very closely together who needed medical attention, and instead of spending money on medicines, she spent it on sneakers and sweets, because she believed it would make it easier to brainwash the children into following Christ. She also said that she specifically focused on children as they were easier to brainwash.

Do you deny that you consider this mortal life as infinitely less valuable than your life after death?

If you were concerned with prejudice, you would not follow an ideology that punishes good people for not worshiping your god.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Subteigh, this isn't logical!

Here is a reasonable synopsis of St. Daniel's words above:
    1) Heaven is terrific, you will love it.
    2) You've been told you need to earn Heaven and that's true ["Work out your own salvation in fear and trembling"]
    3) but NONE of us, not one, here in Heaven, has merited Heaven [Jesus paid it all].
    4) So don't worry about death.
    5) You will have regret if you are not ready for Heaven, so - serve! Serve each other, serve strangers.

He is only urging us to serve others, and strangers. ["What you have done for the least of these, you have done for me"]. How in the world can narrowing down our duty as Christians to "serving each other and serving strangers" be an instruction used to justify acts of evil?? That's kind of crazy, Subteigh. Not at all logical. Serving others bring peace to the world, and makes it a better place. This is not at all "close to the definition of evil". Isn't it reasonable to say that is kind of frightening is a person who thinks a dogma that simply says: "serve others" is evil.

I think you are prejudiced, Subteigh, and it's blinding you. I think when i write about the things I believe in, when it involves the Christian faith, you are completely blinded, and your responses are just knee-jerk reactions from your steeped-in prejudice, and thats why it makes no sense at all. At least, certainly in this case.
    Actually, there are verses in the bible that make it clear that ALL are saved, not just those who believe.

"For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." - 1 Corinthians 15:22

"We trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe." - 1 Timothy 4:10

"He is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world." - 1 John 2:2

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Subteigh's Religious Questions

Subteigh, since you challenge my beliefs quite often when I mention them in a post - that is the aspect you usually zone in on - and because people have threads they want to be about other things, and not that, I am going to move these kinds of questions here when I am willing to answer them. It won't be every time because a lot of things you say I have already answered, quite thoroughly, but your memory is short on that, it seems..

So if there is one I am willing to address, I'll move it here to answer, and the only people that will read these discussions will be the ones who want to, because its the title of the thread.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It looks to me as if you heard someone bearing this false witness about St. Teresa and you are willing to repeat it, without doing research to determine if such an accusations has substance. Right? How would you like it if false stories were told about you, and people decided to believe them, and repeat them, without bothering to determine they were? Its not too nice.

Its the truth that matters to me. But something like this: http://www.catholic.com/blog/michell...-the-beholders explains the truth (like, a Saint is not responsible for the actions of her followers) - would that interest you? Or would your preconceived notions prevent you from getting through it? Is it possible that any new information would impact you preconceived negative judgment?

People think St. Teresa is a Saint. They think she is an example of how to be. People admire that she poured her life out serving others. She did it in the way she thought was right and good. Its easy to be a critic and stand back and watch the person slaving in service and say, "You really should do it this way, or that way. I have good ideas for how you should do it!" The critic thinks his unsolicited criticism is his gift to the world. But its not. Its a drag on the world. Especially if he takes no time to get to know the server and why they are serving and why they do it how they do it. Instead, the world would benefit greatly if the critic focused on his own self and found some way to serve others, some way that seems right to him, and just did it - even if, in his humanity, he did it poorly.
    Anjezë of Üsküp/Teresa of Calcutta's abuses have been fairly well documented and investigated.

Again, according to Christian belief, all Christians are saints, regardless of how good or bad they are.

I don't understand the question.
    Do you consider your life after death as infinitely more valuable than your life before it?

We talked about this one already. That's god is a figment of your imagination. It is not the God I serve - whose mercy is endless, and whose treasury of compassion, inexhaustible.
    There are verses in the bible which explicitly state that god tortures people in hell for eternity for not following his teaches.

"For Moses writes about the righteousness which is of the law, “The man who does those things shall live by them.”But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’” (that is, to bring Christ down from above) or, “‘Who will descend into the abyss?’”[d] (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." - Romans 10:5-9

"The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." - Matthew 13:41-42

"And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame." - Luke 16:22-24

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ratrevisits Please stop trolling. Eliza Thompson pretty obviously has a real life outside this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh
    Do you deny that you consider this mortal life as infinitely less valuable than your life after death?

I'm not trying to speak for Eliza here, but I would like to add a viewpoint that I think many if not most people who believe in an afterlife would agree with even if they can't express it.

Let's say you're a rich art collector and you're going to buy a painting at an auction that is supposed to be a Monet. However, even though it looks beautiful and is selling for a large sum of cash, you still want to call in an art appraiser to make sure it's actually a real Monet. So you call in the art appraiser, they inspect the painting, and it turns out someone had forged it. So you say, "well, it doesn't matter if it's a forgery or not since it looks just like the real thing. Obviously, that means that the final result of painting means nothing and only the process of painting matters." So you just decide Monets are worthless and go home without ever buying art again, and you sell your entire art collection to a dupe museum who believes in the value of art. However, when you get home, you read a newspaper article about how a bunch of Monets have been recently burned in a fire, and are sad, but realize you shouldn't be because the only important thing was the process of making them, after all.

Then, there is someone else comes in after you've left to go look at the Monet forgery. She brings in her own art appraiser and sees it's a forgery, but since, again, it looks like a real Monet, she just decides to go in and buy it at full price and leaves with a fake Monet that she knows is fake and everyone knows is fake, because the fact that it's been painted by Monet doesn't matter or not, only the result.

Meanwhile, there's some guy who was earlier standing at in the corner of the room watching everyone, and is now banging his head vigorously into a brick wall, because to him it's quite clear that the reason a Monet painting is valuable is because it was made by this artistic genius guy Monet, and the reason Monet's work painting is valuable is because it resulted in beautiful paintings, for if it didn't, he might as well have done nothing at all. The process of making the paintings and the result form an integrated whole, and only in that context can art have any value.

Replace art with life, the process of making a painting with life on Earth, and an actual painting with the afterlife, and you'll get what I mean. Christians speak of "eternal life" and that means life outside time, which is basically the aforementioned synthesis of having a good lifetime and getting into the afterlife, since it doesn't depend on time while the other two do.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verbrannte View Post

I'm not trying to speak for Eliza here, but I would like to add a viewpoint that I think many if not most people who believe in an afterlife would agree with even if they can't express it.

Let's say you're a rich art collector and you're going to buy a painting at an auction that is supposed to be a Monet. However, even though it looks beautiful and is selling for a large sum of cash, you still want to call in an art appraiser to make sure it's actually a real Monet. So you call in the art appraiser, they inspect the painting, and it turns out someone had forged it. So you say, "well, it doesn't matter if it's a forgery or not since it looks just like the real thing. Obviously, that means that the final result of painting means nothing and only the process of painting matters." So you just decide Monets are worthless and go home without ever buying art again, and you sell your entire art collection to a dupe museum who believes in the value of art. However, when you get home, you read a newspaper article about how a bunch of Monets have been recently burned in a fire, and are sad, but realize you shouldn't be because the only important thing was the process of making them, after all.

Then, there is someone else comes in after you've left to go look at the Monet forgery. She brings in her own art appraiser and sees it's a forgery, but since, again, it looks like a real Monet, she just decides to go in and buy it at full price and leaves with a fake Monet that she knows is fake and everyone knows is fake, because the fact that it's been painted by Monet doesn't matter or not, only the result.

Meanwhile, there's some guy who was earlier standing at in the corner of the room watching everyone, and is now banging his head vigorously into a brick wall, because to him it's quite clear that the reason a Monet painting is valuable is because it was made by this artistic genius guy Monet, and the reason Monet's work painting is valuable is because it resulted in beautiful paintings, for if it didn't, he might as well have done nothing at all. The process of making the paintings and the result form an integrated whole, and only in that context can art have any value.

Replace art with life, the process of making a painting with life on Earth, and an actual painting with the afterlife, and you'll get what I mean. Christians speak of "eternal life" and that means life outside time, which is basically the aforementioned synthesis of having a good lifetime and getting into the afterlife, since it doesn't depend on time while the other two do.
    "You are dreaming"
    "Do a reality check"
    "This is a dream"
    "You are taking control of your dream"

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default St. Teresa of Calcutta

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Anjezë of Üsküp/Teresa of Calcutta for example packed children very closely together who needed medical attention, and instead of spending money on medicines, she spent it on sneakers and sweets, because she believed it would make it easier to brainwash the children into following Christ. She also said that she specifically focused on children as they were easier to brainwash.
    It looks to me as if you heard someone bearing this false witness about St. Teresa and you are willing to repeat it, without doing research to determine if such an accusations has substance. Right? How would you like it if false stories were told about you, and people decided to believe them, and repeat them, without bothering to determine they were? Its not too nice.

Its the truth that matters to me. But something like this: http://www.catholic.com/blog/michell...-the-beholders explains the truth (like, a Saint is not responsible for the actions of her followers) - would that interest you? Or would your preconceived notions prevent you from getting through it? Is it possible that any new information would impact you preconceived negative judgment?

People think St. Teresa is a Saint. They think she is an example of how to be. People admire that she poured her life out serving others. She did it in the way she thought was right and good. Its easy to be a critic and stand back and watch the person slaving in service and say, "You really should do it this way, or that way. I have good ideas for how you should do it!" The critic thinks his unsolicited criticism is his gift to the world. But its not. Its a drag on the world. Especially if he takes no time to get to know the server and why they are serving and why they do it how they do it. Instead, the world would benefit greatly if the critic focused on his own self and found some way to serve others, some way that seems right to him, and just did it - even if, in his humanity, he did it poorly.

I don't understand the question.

If you were concerned with prejudice, you would not follow an ideology that punishes good people for not worshiping your god.
    We talked about this one already. That god is a figment of your imagination. It is not the God I serve - whose mercy is endless, and whose treasury of compassion, inexhaustible.

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default clarifying: Christians and converting others

I just want to make it clear that Christians believe they are saved from Hell by the grace of God, through the perfect sacrifice of Jesus, not by our work*, and not by converting people. I have been a Christian a long time, Protestant longer than Catholic, and I have not known any Christian who thinks they earn salvation by converting people.

Only God converts. We witness, telling what God has done for us, which is natural. People talk about what's best in their life. Its not our job to change people but we are told to have an answer ready for those who ask. Which is why I wrote this thread, even though I often question Subteigh's sincerity and his good will. But in cases where I am not questioning the good will or the sincerity I want to answer.

I do not feel God expects me to convert anyone. I do think He wants me to be unafraid to share the abundant good things He has done for me especially to anyone who clearly wants to know. And if I am afraid then I can ask Him for courage. Then I can't take credit for being unafraid! Other than that I am sure He wants me to pray for the people who are in my life at all. If I do those things, even poorly, I know that is enough. I know He is not keeping a scorecard as to how I am doing. If I want to be better then I can ask Him for the graces I need to be better. And its better that way, because then I cannot take credit for any accomplishments. Its all Him.

Yet we are asked to work for Heaven. Jesus says if you love Me, you will follow my Commandments. The greatest command is to love God, and to love others as ourselves. All the other commands just fall in place naturally if you can get those two. Loving and serving others is serving God, and most of the time that means doing that right where you are. Also a person cannot love God if they do not know Him, so I have a responsibility to share something of what I know, to people who want to know. So sometimes I share what I know. Not to make people talk about what they don't want to talk about. God does not want me to annoy people - that's not respectful. He is often already working in their hearts in the unique way only He knows how to, and my input could actually interfere with this. But if there is an appropriate moment to share what matters to me, I do. Maybe someone will stick the thought far back in their mind and God will remind them of it one day, when they are discouraged, and perhaps thinking God does not want anything to do with them because they are not good or worthy enough. Then hopefully they will remember, "I heard God is all Merciful and He loves me even though I am full of failures and shortcomings. I heard that God's love for me is about who He is - unfathomably loving - not about my worthiness. That He loves me just as I am. I wonder if that's true? I know that if one really wonder's in one's heart of this is true, God will let them know it is!

Nothing harmful or evil about this kind of thinking, right, @Subteigh?
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I just want to make it clear that Christians believe they are saved from Hell by the grace of God, through the perfect sacrifice of Jesus, not by our work*, and not by converting people. I have been a Christian a long time, Protestant longer than Catholic, and I have not known any Christian who thinks they earn salvation by converting people.

Only God converts. We witness, telling what God has done for us, which is natural. People talk about what's best in their life. Its not our job to change people but we are told to have an answer ready for those who ask. Which is why I wrote this thread, even though I often question Subteigh's sincerity and his good will. But in cases where I am not questioning the good will or the sincerity I want to answer.

I do not feel God expects me to convert anyone. I do think He wants me to be unafraid to share the abundant good things He has done for me especially to anyone who clearly wants to know. And if I am afraid then I can ask Him for courage. Then I can't take credit for being unafraid! Other than that I am sure He wants me to pray for the people who are in my life at all. If I do those things, even poorly, I know that is enough. I know He is not keeping a scorecard as to how I am doing. If I want to be better then I can ask Him for the graces I need to be better. And its better that way, because then I cannot take credit for any accomplishments. Its all Him.

Yet we are asked to work for Heaven. Jesus says if you love Me, you will follow my Commandments. The greatest command is to love God, and to love others as ourselves. All the other commands just fall in place naturally if you can get those two. Loving and serving others is serving God, and most of the time that means doing that right where you are. Also a person cannot love God if they do not know Him, so I have a responsibility to share something of what I know, to people who want to know. So sometimes I share what I know. Not to make people talk about what they don't want to talk about. God does not want me to annoy people - that's not respectful. He is often already working in their hearts in the unique way only He knows how to, and my input could actually interfere with this. But if there is an appropriate moment to share what matters to me, I do. Maybe someone will stick the thought far back in their mind and God will remind them of it one day, when they are discouraged, and perhaps thinking God does not want anything to do with them because they are not good or worthy enough. Then hopefully they will remember, "I heard God is all Merciful and He loves me even though I am full of failures and shortcomings. I heard that God's love for me is about who He is - unfathomably loving - not about my worthiness. That He loves me just as I am. I wonder if that's true? I know that if one really wonder's in one's heart of this is true, God will let them know it is!

I believe that wasting energy on a being that can take care of itself over caring for other people is deeply immoral.

If you believe that you time in heaven is infinitely more important than your years on Earth, as Christians must do, as they not only value Heaven more highly, but an infinite period of time is always going to being infinitely longer than a human lifespan on Earth, then this means that you should be infinitely more likely to focus on a person's "spiritual" needs rather than their material needs. To me, the word "spiritual" is utterly meaningless.

Now, when Christians become absolutely warped by this ideology, you get cases like Anjezë of Üsküp/Teresa of Calcutta where for example:

Mother Theresa allowed suffering in her institutions with such depressing regularity one would assume she was sure suffering in the name of Jesus is a good thing. Theresa was not even sure God or Jesus exists.

Mother Teresa is thoroughly saturated with a primitive fundamentalist religious worldview that sees pain, hardship, and suffering as ennobling experiences and a beautiful expression of affiliation with Jesus Christ and his ordeal on the cross. Hitchens reports that in a filmed interview Mother Teresa herself tells of a patient suffering unbearable pain from terminal cancer: "With a smile, Mother Teresa told the camera what she told the patient: 'You are suffering like Christ on the cross. So Jesus must be kissing you.'" Apparently unaware that the response of the sufferer was a put-down, she freely related it: "Then please tell him to stop kissing me."[12]
    Well-meaning people donate money to Mother Teresa's organisation and imagine that they are helping people. Few realise that donations sometimes help Mother Teresa's order of nuns to hurt people rather than help them. Hemant Mehta relates the following:[13]

Over hundreds of hours of research, much of it cataloged in a book he published in 2003, Dr. Chatterjee said he found a “cult of suffering” in homes run by Mother Teresa’s organization, the Missionaries of Charity, with children tied to beds and little to comfort dying patients but aspirin. He and others said that Mother Teresa took her adherence to frugality and simplicity in her work to extremes, allowing practices like the reuse of hypodermic needles and tolerating primitive facilities that required patients to defecate in front of one another. “[Western audiences] don’t care about whether a third-world city’s dignity or prestige has been hampered by an Albanian nun,” he said. “So, obviously, they may be interested in the lies and the charlatans and the fraud that’s going on, but the whole story, they’re not interested in.”
    Donors expected what they gave would go to help poor people, it did not.[14]

A widow, Sarnakar said she was admitted to Nirmal Hriday a decade ago with tuberculosis. Medical care was basic, and Sarnakar recalled that many in the women’s ward did not survive. “The ones who die, they die,” Sarnakar said. “But for those who can get better, the sisters are very good to us.” They die if they don’t get medical treatment. The nun could have spent the money to make that happen, but she gave it to the Vatican instead.[15]
    While Mother Theresa was a sadist, she wasn't as masochistic:

[W]hen it came to her own death, Teresa refused to be treated in one of her own unsanitary facilities that glorified and promoted the suffering and pain of others. Researchers said that when it came to her own treatment, “she received it in a modern American hospital.” Apparently for Teresa suffering was beautiful only if it was someone else doing the suffering.[1]
    source: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa
    Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 10-24-2016 at 05:06 PM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verbrannte View Post
    @ratrevisits Please stop trolling. Eliza Thompson pretty obviously has a real life outside this forum.

I believe our mortal lives are valuable, because until I see evidence of the contrary, they are the only lives we have. That I am far from certain of the objectivity of my senses does not mean I value my life any less. However, these insights convince me that it is wrong to judge subjective beings as though they were objective beings, and that the most desirable actions are those that maximize the happiness (however defined) of those living.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I also think that saying that every individual is inherently flawed and defective is depraved and deeply damaging. It is the sort of thing an Arch-Critic would do. Philosophies should be based on how things can be improved, not on such defeatism.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that wasting energy on a being that can take care of itself over caring for other people is deeply immoral.
    This dichotomy doesn't exist.

If you believe that you time in heaven is infinitely more important than your years on Earth, as Christians must do,
    Nope, this is not true about what I believe as a Christian and this is also not true of ANY Christian I have ever met, or ever read of. And I have read a lot!

You are clearly only reading about Christians from anti-Christians. And they are confused, because they don't want to know. They think it doesn't matter that they don't know, so they pontificate without knowing. And that's not very intelligent.

There are many splinter groups of Christians because of the many people who believe that being a Christian is between me, Jesus and my Bible. So you get all kinds of interpretations, there being many people. Fortunately most people who believe in Jesus are really sincere, and they make sincere interpretations of scripture, and that's why I have never met anyone who believes what you just said here. However, every people-group has far-out ones and insincere ones, so there may very well be people existing, who call themselves Christians, and believe what you just said. But in my entire life of living as a practicing Christian among many Christian faith traditions, I have NEVER MET ONE!

So this is what you are basing your argument on - a fallacy. How can an argument built on a falsehood be any good?

Now, when Christians become absolutely warped by this ideology, you get cases like Anjezë of Üsküp/Teresa of Calcutta where for example:
    Why do you bother writing out "Anjezë of Üsküp", when no one ever heard of that name, or can spell it? She is known by "Mother Teresa" by most, and she did everything there is to do to earn that title. Is there some reason you don't want to use it?

Subteigh, that rationalwikki - or skeptic's rant, or snopes-on-cortisone - whatever you want to call it, that's not a valid source. I am not going to consider something so warped. They are the like that ridiculous snopes, under a new name. They are just there to convert people, and to tell people what to think. Look at their motto: "Don't worry about thinking. We'll do it for you. Just open your brain and we will pour it in for you." That's not for me. You will find a Catholic source is way more balanced and truthful. Or just anything at all more catholic.

Yes, your selection is too stiflingly narrow! You need to open your mind and be way more catholic. Try it! Its good for your brain!

[ cath·o·lic
    ˈkaTH(ə)lik/
    adjective 1. (especially of a person's tastes) including a wide variety of things; all-embracing.
    synonyms: universal, diverse, diversified, wide, broad, broad-based, eclectic, liberal, latitudinarian; comprehensive, all-encompassing, all-embracing, all-inclusive]

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think that saying that every individual is inherently flawed and defective is depraved and deeply damaging...
    That's not in Scripture, or in the Catechism. Where do you get this stuff?

Oh! Depraved! I get it. You are thinking of "Total Depravity", from 5-point Calvinism. Though many Christians have adopted some of Calvin's teachings, that one is not favored, and you likely could go through your entire life and not meet a single 5-point Calvinist. So you don't have to bat at that windmill.

If you really want to fight that doctrine, there is probably a 5-point Calvinist forum somewhere that will play "total depravity" with you.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Again, I'll bring this up:

Also, as I've said before:
    In addition, while Jesus in the bible discouraged his followers from attempting to do fix poverty "For the poor you have with you always, but Me you do not have always" and his Churches own a vast amount of wealth (the UN says it would only take $30 billion per year to end world hunger), mainly because of secular organisations like the UN, worldwide absolute poverty ("a condition characterised by severe deprivation of basic human needs, including food, safe drinking water, sanitation facilities, health, shelter, education and information.") more than halved between 1990 and 2010 (from 37% to 16%), and the UN expects that absolute poverty will be eradicated by 2030. In 14 years. So basically, secular organisations have done more to eradicate poverty in 20 years than the church has in 2000 years, or that religion has achieved in 200,000 years.
    According to one estimate: To end extreme poverty worldwide in 20 years, Sachs calculated that the total cost per year would be about $175 billion. Consider also that: "According to Georgetown University, the average weekly donation of an American Catholic to the church is $10. There are 85 million in North America, meaning each week the Catholic Church pulls in $850m through donations from individual Catholics."

If Catholics really value the poor, their neighbours, and this mortal life...why are they spending their money on god?
    Jesus in the bible is recorded as saying: "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

So, if you wanted to follow Jesus's top commandments, you would surely follow that one.
    Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 10-25-2016 at 05:12 PM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Oh! Depraved! I get it. You are thinking of "Total Depravity", from 5-point Calvinism. Though many Christians have adopted some of Calvin's teachings, that one is not favored, and you likely could go through your entire life and not meet a single 5-point Calvinist. So you don't have to bat at that windmill.

If you really want to fight that doctrine, there is probably a 5-point Calvinist forum somewhere that will play "total depravity" with you.
    Actually, I got it from you:

But regardless, the bible is full of verses that all humans are sinners, that all have fallen short of the glory of god...that even infants are born with sin. It is clear therefore that the god of the bible treats humanity as inherently flawed.

Indeed, on at least one occasion, god is recorded as saying that he was responsible for creating us flawed, but he still blames us anyway:
    The word which came to Jeremiah from the Lord, saying: 2 “Arise and go down to the potter’s house, and there I will cause you to hear My words.” 3 Then I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was, making something at the wheel. 4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter; so he made it again into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to make.

5 Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: 6 “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?” says the Lord. “Look, as the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel! 7 The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, 8 if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, 10 if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.
    If you do not believe that humans are inherently flawed, that why do you believe you need a Saviour?

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, actually, you didn't. You can't just make things up. You can't just repost my entire post (without reading it?) and assume that no one else will read it either, and add a short sentence below asserting that it says something it didn't say, because you are trusting people to read your simple -false - sentence and believe it, without reading what I said to verify if what you said is true. Yup, its true, a lot of people will do that. And that's just the sort of thing RationalWiki would do - counting on people to swallow what they say whole, without examining it!

You really need a more catholic taste, Subteigh. You have a good mind, but its not coming across here. And if we are going to have a discussion, you have to be logical and truthful.

But regardless, the bible is full of verses that all humans are sinners, that all have fallen short of the Glory of God...that even infants are born with sin. It is clear therefore that the God of the Bible treats humanity as inherently flawed.
    No.

Indeed, on at least one occasion, God is recorded as saying that He was responsible for creating us flawed, but he still blames us anyway:
    No. That's not what that says.

If you do not believe that humans are inherently flawed, that why do you believe you need a Saviour?
    Nope, infants aren't born in sin. But we are all born with the concupiscence to sin. Concupiscence to sin is not the same as being "inherently flawed". Perhaps you consider that, yourself, to be an inherent flaw. However to say that humans are inherently flawed doesn't fit, because scripture also says we are made in the image and likeness of God. That's probably why "humans are inherently flawed" is not in the Catechism, and not in our Creed - and so I don't believe it either.

And yes, we are all sinners and all fallen short of glorious perfection. Is that a surprise? Do you think you are glorious perfection?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

No, actually, you didn't. You can't just make things up. You can't just repost my entire post (without reading it?) and assume that no one else will read it either, and add a short sentence below asserting that it says something it didn't say, because you are trusting people to read your simple -false - sentence and believe it, without reading what I said to verify if what you said is true. Yup, its true, a lot of people will do that. And that's just the sort of thing RationalWiki would do - counting on people to swallow what they say whole, without examining it!

You really need a more catholic taste, Subteigh. You have a good mind, but its not coming across here. And if we are going to have a discussion, you have to be logical and truthful.
    You said:
    I just want to make it clear that Christians believe they are saved from Hell by the grace of God, through the perfect sacrifice of Jesus, not by our work*, and not by converting people.
    and:
    And its better that way, because then I cannot take credit for any accomplishments. Its all Him.
    and:
    [..]Then hopefully they will remember, "I heard God is all Merciful and He loves me even though I am full of failures and shortcomings.[...]
    i.e. You said quite clearly that if you do any good, it is god who does it, not you. You said also that you believe that if it was not for god's grace, you would go to hell. If you are not sent to hell for being inherently bad, and if you cannot be redeemed by doing good, then why do you believe that people are sent to hell?

No.
    Which verses do you dispute? The bible says that humans are born sinners, and none can be saved by their deeds.

No. That's not what that says.
    Considering that I quoted it from the bible, how can it not be what it says? It says that the potter is responsible for creating the good and the bad in his pots. If god created a flawed pot, he is responsible for it.

Nope, infants aren't born in sin. But we are all born with the concupiscence to sin. Concupiscence to sin is not the same as being "inherently flawed". Perhaps you consider that, yourself, to be an inherent flaw. However to say that humans are inherently flawed doesn't fit, because scripture also says we are made in the image and likeness of God. That's probably why "humans are inherently flawed" is not in the Catechism, and not in our Creed - and so I don't believe it either.
    If your case was valid, god would only have forbidden Adam and Eve from Eden for eating from the Tree of Knowledge, not all of humanity. In addition, the Catholics would not have buried dead unbaptized infants in unconsecrated ground for centuries.

I do not know why you keep mentioning the catechism, when the bible makes it clear only its words are necessary for salvation.

And yes, we are all sinners and all fallen short of glorious perfection. Is that a surprise? Do you think you are glorious perfection?
    You say without god, you are incapable of doing good acts. But when you commit an evil act, you seem to believe that is an individual's own fault. I wonder why you object so much to me quoting god's story of the potter? Again, I think saying that good acts are only achievable because of god is a deeply negative outlook, and fails to value the good work of those who do not follow your particular god.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it does. Spending time worshiping a god is necessarily time that could be used doing other things.
    You could be doing both. Brother Lawrence tells us how.http://www.loyalbooks.com/image/deta...sence-of-G.jpg

Then there is the example of the Cicsternian Orders of Monks and Orders of Nuns who work to earn their keep, and pray as they work: http://s3.amazonaws.com/libapps/acco...et_labora1.jpg

You believe that your mortal life is as important, or perhaps, even more important than what happens after death? If that is so, how do you explain verses such as:
    Let me clarify. Mortal life is important. And I would say mortal life and how we live it is extra important because of eternal life. Eternal life is longer.

If thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire." - Matthew 18:8-9 ?
    My husband, who studied scripture in 3 languages, says that that verse is allegorical and refers to friends and attachments.

There are literalist Christians, Subteigh, but they are rare. I never met one. So, there's another windmill for your collection.

1) because Teresa is an assumed name.
    Its a change of status. Like my new married name. Popes reign under a new name. Kings reign under a new name. And a new name is taken upon entering a religious life. And they never use their old name again. Perhaps their medical records keep the old names, but no one calls them that, and no one knows them by that any longer. Mother Teresa is known by all as simply Mother Teresa. So is this some kind of protest? Because its not proving anything. Its just strange and confusing.

2) she wasn't from Calcutta, and the people there do not hold her in high regard
    She was better known as from Calcutta than from where she was born. So its simply the name that makes common sense to use.

My husband said your statement about the feelings of the people from Calcutta is simply to bait me, and that you can find detractors of anyone who made any mark on the world. Yes. So it is in fact best to leave it at that. You like RadicalWikki, which tells ONLY they far-skewed bad side of things like religion, and does not mind at all bearing false witness if it will help their case, and ignores ALL the good - creating the false, lying impression that that is the truth of the matter. There is no integrity in that, and I don't want to have anything to do with that kind of talk, from them, or from you.

3) because I do not consider her a "Mother" or a "Saint" in any sense.
    Well Mother used in the sense of a religious vocation is an accepted term by the general world. "Saint" is not a scary term either. So its just strange to attempt to impose you own form, which only causes confusion, when there is socially accepted custom.

They are perfectly valid sources. Even if you object to those websites, the criticism is perfectly valid, based on true accounts.
    Its an anti-religion soapbox site. (And pro-government, pro medical establishment, pro-media culture values, etc. Bor-ing.) They have no moral code like Catholics ("The ends doesn't justify the means" for example, is not going to be anything they feel beholden to adhere to.) In this case, they only quote her detractors, and they have NOTHING good to say about her. Pretty.obviously.one.sided. Its a self-important way to calumnate. I want NOTHING to do with radicalwikki.

You may like to use that definition of "Catholic", and claim that it reflects your beliefs.
    I do, and it does.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

You could be doing both. Brother Lawrence tells us how.http://www.loyalbooks.com/image/deta...sence-of-G.jpg

Then there is the example of the Cicsternian Orders of Monks and Orders of Nuns who work to earn their keep, and pray as they work: http://s3.amazonaws.com/libapps/acco...et_labora1.jpg
    Spending any amount of time worshipping a god that does not need to be worshipped (and is not supposed to have any needs whatsoever), even if you believe it exists, is not benefiting anybody.

Let me clarify. Mortal life is important. And I would say mortal life and how we live it is extra important because of eternal life. Eternal life is longer.
    If eternal life is longer, how can your mortal life be more important? It is only "important" to the extent that you do what is expected of you in order to get into Heaven. Thus, your eternal life is infinitely more important. Especially considering that you believe that god already knows where you are going to end up, it makes this mortal life seem utterly unimportant.

My husband, who studied scripture in 3 languages, says that that verse is allegorical and refers to friends and attachments.

There are literalist Christians, Subteigh, but they are rare. I never met one. So, there's another windmill for your collection.
    The bible makes it clear that Jesus will throw the unworthy into an eternal pit of fire where they will be tortured, and there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. While Jesus might have been allegorical in terms of hands and feet (in that he means that if anything causes you to offend, you should get rid of it), it is impossible to deny that Christian doctrine very much holds hell to be a real place in the afterlife.

I'm surprised that you do not consider yourself a literalist Christian, considering that you seem to seriously consider that the Earth is flat, and that god created the universe.

Its a change of status. Like my new married name. Popes reign under a new name. Kings reign under a new name. And a new name is taken upon entering a religious life. And they never use their old name again. Perhaps their medical records keep the old names, but no one calls them that, and no one knows them by that any longer. Mother Teresa is known by all as simply Mother Teresa. So is this some kind of protest? Because its not proving anything. Its just strange and confusing.
    No, she is known as Mother Teresa by many Catholics and neutral people who know no better.

She was better known as from Calcutta than from where she was born. So its simply the name that makes common sense to use.
    But she is not respected by the people who live in Calcutta today. It is deeply insulting to the lives of the people she ruined to give her such a title.

My husband said your statement about the feelings of the people from Calcutta is simply to bait me, and that you can find detractors of anyone who made any mark on the world. Yes. So it is in fact best to leave it at that. You like RadicalWikki, which tells ONLY they far-skewed bad side of things like religion, and does not mind at all bearing false witness if it will help their case, and ignores ALL the good - creating the false, lying impression that that is the truth of the matter. There is no integrity in that, and I don't want to have anything to do with that kind of talk, from them, or from you.
    You have yet to satisfactorily addressed the reports on her character, only challenged the source of the information. I have used the bible at times to dispute some of your claims, even when I do not agree with it. I find that Rationalwiki does not tend to say things that are untrue or things that are unsubstantiated. If you read their page on the Dalai Lama for example, it sees him in a fairly positive light. You just don't like it because they say things you disagree with...and yet you don't actually check to see if they are false or not.

Well Mother used in the sense of a religious vocation is an accepted term by the general world. "Saint" is not a scary term either. So its just strange to attempt to impose you own form, which only causes confusion, when there is socially accepted custom.
    She was not a "Mother" to the people who had the misfortune to be in her miscare. She also does not deserve the title of "Saint", even by the bar set by the Catholics. (We have already discussed several times that all Christians are saints, so the Catholic obsession with it is not scriptural).

Its an anti-religion soapbox site. (And pro-government, pro medical establishment, pro-media culture values, etc. Bor-ing.) They have no moral code like Catholics ("The ends doesn't justify the means" for example, is not going to be anything they feel beholden to adhere to.) In this case, they only quote her detractors, and they have NOTHING good to say about her. Pretty.obviously.one.sided. Its a self-important way to calumnate. I want NOTHING to do with radicalwikki.
    As I say, it does not see all religious figures in a negative light. You just don't like them saying things that you disagree with. They are not especially pro-government. They have attacked quack doctors based on evidence. They have attacked media outlets that have spread disinformation.

Considering that the Catholics believe that all non-Christians should be punished for not following their religion, I am glad if they have no moral code like the Catholics. I am also glad if they agree that "Mother Teresa"'s actions were fraudulent and led to the lost of many lives.

I do, and it does.
    You don't seem very open-minded to those who do acts of good who are not Catholics. I also do not consider the consideration of views that are impossible to be "open-minded".

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

You said that:
    Yet we are asked to work for Heaven. Jesus says if you love Me, you will follow my Commandments. The greatest command is to love God, and to love others as ourselves.
    The Christian "moral": "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.", is a negativist one.

As George Bernard Shaw said: Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may be different."

Jesus' ideology also not forbid suicide attacks, like the one committed by Samson in the Old Testament. To what extent therefore is it a good moral code?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@Eliza Thomason

In regards "Mother Teresa":
    do you deny that she said: " 'I'm not a social worker. I don't do it for this reason. I do it for Christ. I do it for the church."?
    that: she diverted funds away from her foundation that was supposed to improve the lives of children, and gave it to the Vatican?
    that: she focused on children, because she thought they were easier to convert to Christ than adults, through the use of "free" sneakers and sweets?
    that: she packed ill children close together in filthy conditions, reused unclean needles between victims, and gave them utterly inadequate medicine, if any was given at all?
    that: she delighted in suffering, saying it was a gift from god?
    that: when it came to her own illness, she used the very best care?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

If your case was valid, god would only have forbidden Adam and Eve from Eden for eating from the Tree of Knowledge, not all of humanity. In addition, the Catholics would not have buried dead unbaptized infants in unconsecrated ground for centuries.
    You have still not addressed this point. What justification would there be excluding all humans from the Garden of Eden for the "sin" of curiosity on the parts of Adam and Eve, and nobody else? What justification would there be for burying dead unbaptized infants outside consecrated ground, unless they were considered to be sinful in some way? It doesn't really make sense, especially when Jesus is recorded in the bible as saying "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven."

Anyway, if some bible verses say that everybody is saved from sin, even those that do not believe in god or follow Jesus, why are many Christians so obsessed with sin, rather than good works?

Why doesn’t Christianity reward those who do good works, especially those who act contrary to their natural inclination? In addition why doesn’t Christianity reward based on intent? There is no virtue in believing in god.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@Eliza Thomason,
    If some bible verses say all are saved, why is the church obsessed with sin, and not good works?

Actually, there are verses in the bible that make it clear that ALL are saved, not just those who believe.

"For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." - 1 Corinthians 15:22

"We trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe." - 1 Timothy 4:10

"He is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world." - 1 John 2:2
    Why doesn’t Christianity reward those who do good works, especially those who act contrary to their natural inclination? In addition why doesn’t Christianity reward based on intent? There is no virtue in believing in god.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Is torture ever acceptable, even when god does it?

Do you truly believe that people willfully choose to go to hell? If no, then how can hell exist? If yes, then how is hell an effective deterrent and an effective punishment?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It may be objected, “But some received principles, especially on the highest and most vital subjects, are more than half-truths. The Christian morality, for instance, is the whole truth on that subject and if any one teaches a morality which varies from it, he is wholly in error.” As this is of all cases the most important in practice, none can be fitter to test the general maxim. But before pronouncing what Christian morality is or is not, it would be desirable to decide what is meant by Christian morality. If it means the morality of the New Testament, I wonder that any one who derives his knowledge of this from the book itself, can suppose that it was announced, or intended, as a complete doctrine of morals. The Gospel always refers to a preexisting morality, and confines its precepts to the particulars in which that morality was to be corrected, or superseded by a wider and higher; expressing itself, moreover, in terms most general, often impossible to be interpreted literally, and possessing rather the impressiveness of poetry or eloquence than the precision of legislation. To extract from it a body of ethical doctrine, has never been possible without eking it out from the Old Testament, that is, from a system elaborate indeed, but in many respects barbarous, and intended only for a barbarous people. St. Paul, a declared enemy to this Judaical mode of interpreting the doctrine and filling up the scheme of his Master, equally assumes a preexisting morality, namely, that of the Greeks and Romans; and his advice to Christians is in a great measure a system of accommodation to that; even to the extent of giving an apparent sanction to slavery. What is called Christian, but should rather be termed theological, morality, was not the work of Christ or the Apostles, but is of much later origin, having been gradually built up by the Catholic Church of the first five centuries, and though not implicitly adopted by moderns and Protestants, has been much less modified by them than might have been expected. For the most part, indeed, they have contented themselves with cutting off the additions which had been made to it in the Middle Ages, each sect supplying the place by fresh additions, adapted to its own character and tendencies. That mankind owe a great debt to this morality, and to its early teachers, I should be the last person to deny; but I do not scruple to say of it, that it is, in many important points, incomplete and one-sided, and that unless ideas and feelings, not sanctioned by it, had contributed to the formation of European life and character, human affairs would have been in a worse condition than they now are. Christian morality (so called) has all the characters of a reaction; it is, in great part, a protest against Paganism. Its ideal is negative rather than positive; passive rather than active; Innocence rather than Nobleness; Abstinence from Evil, rather than energetic Pursuit of Good: in its precepts (as has been well said) “thou shalt not” predominates unduly over “thou shalt.” In its horror of sensuality, it made an idol of asceticism, which has been gradually compromised away into one of legality. It holds out the hope of heaven and the threat of hell, as the appointed and appropriate motives to a virtuous life: in this falling far below the best of the ancients, and doing what lies in it to give to human morality an essentially selfish character, by disconnecting each man’s feelings of duty from the interests of his fellow-creatures, except so far as a self-interested inducement is offered to him for consulting them. It is essentially a doctrine of passive obedience; it inculcates submission to all authorities found established; who indeed are not to be actively obeyed when they command what religion forbids, but who are not to be resisted, far less rebelled against, for any amount of wrong to ourselves. And while, in the morality of the best Pagan nations, duty to the State holds even a disproportionate place, infringing on the just liberty of the individual; in purely Christian ethics that grand department of duty is scarcely noticed or acknowledged. It is in the Koran, not the New Testament, that we read the maxim —“A ruler who appoints any man to an office, when there is in his dominions another man better qualified for it, sins against God and against the State.” What little recognition the idea of obligation to the public obtains in modern morality, is derived from Greek and Roman sources, not from Christian; as, even in the morality of private life, whatever exists of magnanimity, high-mindedness, personal dignity, even the sense of honor, is derived from the purely human, not the religious part of our education, and never could have grown out of a standard of ethics in which the only worth, professedly recognized, is that of obedience.

I am as far as any one from pretending that these defects are necessarily inherent in the Christian ethics, in every manner in which it can be conceived, or that the many requisites of a complete moral doctrine which it does not contain, do not admit of being reconciled with it. Far less would I insinuate this of the doctrines and precepts of Christ himself. I believe that the sayings of Christ are all, that I can see any evidence of their having been intended to be; that they are irreconcilable with nothing which a comprehensive morality requires; that everything which is excellent in ethics may be brought within them, with no greater violence to their language than has been done to it by all who have attempted to deduce from them any practical system of conduct whatever. But it is quite consistent with this, to believe that they contain and were meant to contain, only a part of the truth; that many essential elements of the highest morality are among the things which are not provided for, nor intended to be provided for, in the recorded deliverances of the Founder of Christianity, and which have been entirely thrown aside in the system of ethics erected on the basis of those deliverances by the Christian Church. And this being so, I think it a great error to persist in attempting to find in the Christian doctrine that complete rule for our guidance, which its author intended it to sanction and enforce, but only partially to provide. I believe, too, that this narrow theory is becoming a grave practical evil, detracting greatly from the value of the moral training and instruction, which so many well-meaning persons are now at length exerting themselves to promote. I much fear that by attempting to form the mind and feelings on an exclusively religious type, and discarding those secular standards (as for want of a better name they may be called) which heretofore coexisted with and supplemented the Christian ethics, receiving some of its spirit, and infusing into it some of theirs, there will result, and is even now resulting, a low, abject, servile type of character, which, submit itself as it may to what it deems the Supreme Will, is incapable of rising to or sympathizing in the conception of Supreme Goodness. I believe that other ethics than any one which can be evolved from exclusively Christian sources, must exist side by side with Christian ethics to produce the moral regeneration of mankind; and that the Christian system is no exception to the rule that in an imperfect state of the human mind, the interests of truth require a diversity of opinions. It is not necessary that in ceasing to ignore the moral truths not contained in Christianity, men should ignore any of those which it does contain. Such prejudice, or oversight, when it occurs, is altogether an evil; but it is one from which we cannot hope to be always exempt, and must be regarded as the price paid for an inestimable good. The exclusive pretension made by a part of the truth to be the whole, must and ought to be protested against, and if a reactionary impulse should make the protestors unjust in their turn, this one-sidedness, like the other, may be lamented, but must be tolerated. If Christians would teach infidels to be just to Christianity, they should themselves be just to infidelity. It can do truth no service to blink the fact, known to all who have the most ordinary acquaintance with literary history, that a large portion of the noblest and most valuable moral teaching has been the work, not only of men who did not know, but of men who knew and rejected, the Christian faith.
    ~ John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

There is one very serious defect to my mind in Christ’s moral character, and that is that He believed in hell. I do not myself feel that any person who is really profoundly humane can believe in everlasting punishment. Christ certainly as depicted in the Gospels did believe in everlasting punishment, and one does find repeatedly a vindictive fury against those people who would not listen to His preaching—an attitude which is not uncommon with preachers, but which does somewhat detract from superlative excellence. You do not, for instance, find that attitude in Socrates. You find him quite bland and urbane towards the people who would not listen to him; and it is, to my mind, far more worthy of a sage to take that line than to take the line of indignation. You probably all remember the sort of things that Socrates was saying when he was dying, and the sort of things that he generally did say to people who did not agree with him.

You will find that in the Gospels Christ said: ‘Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?’ That was said to people who did not like His preaching. It is not really to my mind quite the best tone, and there are a great many of these things about hell. There is, of course, the familiar text about the sin against the Holy Ghost: ‘Whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven him neither in this world nor in the world of come.’ That text has caused an unspeakable amount of misery in the world, for all sorts of people have imagined that they have committed the sin against the Holy Ghost, and thought that it would not be forgiven them either in this world or in the world to come. I really do not think that a person with a proper degree of kindliness in his nature would have put fears and terrors of that sort into the world.

Then Christ says: ‘The Son of Man shall send forth His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity, and shall cast them into a furnace of fire; there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth’; and He goes on about the wailing and gnashing of teeth. It comes in one verse after another, and it is quite manifest to the reader that there is a certain pleasure in contemplating wailing and gnashing of teeth, or else it would not occur so often. Then you all, of course, remember about the sheep and the goats; how at the second coming to divide the sheep and the goats He is going to say to the goats: ‘Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire.’ He continues: ‘And these shall go away into everlasting fire.’ Then He says again: ‘If thy hand offend thee, cut it off; it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched; where the worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched.’ He repeats that again and again also. I must say that I think all this doctrine, that hell-fire is a punishment for sin, is a doctrine of cruelty. It is a doctrine that put cruelty into the world and gave the world generations of cruel torture; and the Christ of the Gospels, if you could take Him as His chroniclers represent Him, would certainly have to be considered partly responsible for that.

There are other things of less importance. There is the instance of the Gadarene swine where it certainly was not very kind to the pigs to put the devils into them and make them rush down the hill to the sea. You must remember that He was omnipotent, and He could have made the devils simply go away; but He chooses to send them into the pigs. Then there is the curious story of the fig-tree, which always rather puzzled me. You remember what happened about the fig-tree. ‘He was hungry; and seeing a fig-tree afar off having leaves, He came if haply He might find anything thereon; and when He came to it He found nothing but leaves, for the time of figs was not yet. And Jesus answered and said unto it: “No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever,” . . . and Peter . . . saith unto Him: “Master, behold the fig-tree which thou cursedst is withered away”.’ This is a very curious story, because it was not the right time of year for figs, and you really could not blame the tree. I cannot myself feel that either in the matter of wisdom or in the matter of virtue Christ stands quite as high as some other people known to history. I think I should put Buddha and Socrates above Him in those respects.
    ~ Bertrand Russell, Why I Am Not a Christian

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Eliza Thomason,
    If some bible verses say all are saved, why is the church obsessed with sin, and not good works?.
    When you get into your thirty-questions mode, it makes me not be in any haste to come back to this thread. Its real easy to generate piles and piles of questions - especially when you don't care what the answers are to those questions. And I begin to feel that's the case, so, and when I have that impression of you (which is often) its just not motivating at all to take the time to thoughtfully answer the questions when ANY answer that I sincerely come up with has no bearing to you - because the purpose of asking the questions was simply to "prove" that Christianity makes no sense, by the "fact" that there are SO MANY "questionables" - and that's all. That's not sincere, and that's why I sometimes question your sincerity. Just explaining...

Then you speak of the Catholic Church, and about Christianity in general, as if you know it, and you don't. You say SO MANY untrue things about the Church and Christianity, that it makes me think you are not interested in truth at all. Your seeming lack of any interest in any reply I write actually seems to come from that.

The beliefs of the Catholic Church are clear, they are in the Catechism, none of which conflicts with any Scripture, because we also believe all Scripture is true, and inspired by God.

Your idea that "the church obsessed with sin, and not good works" - where does that come from??

I sincerely question if my reply makes a dot of difference, but I will try, briefly. Sin matters. Christians are supposed to try to grow in holiness (keeping an eye on their own progress, and not anyone else's). Its called "running the good race with your eye on the mark". That is, your eye on where you are headed. You are headed for excluding sin from your life, but you are not focused on the fact that you keep failing - you keep your eye on the mark. That's the truth of what we teach, and what most Christians, Catholic or not, believe.

But I am not sure you are interested in the truth of the matter.

Also yes, Christians believe that good works is part of being a Christian.

So there you go, an attempt to answer your question, a question I am not sure is sincere anyway.

The work is done for God, so the reward comes from God, who promises it, in Heaven. We also can choose our reward now, instead of in Heaven, by bragging about our good works or pious achievements, so that we can be admired or applauded. But that's not too sensible and most of us realize that.

Any believer practicing Christianity can tell the times we have had to act against our natural inclinations in order to do a "good work", or to act in the way we believe God would have us act, in stead of what we feel inclined to do. In the telling you would likely also hear how we felt God's help in our efforts, or how He gave us supernatural peace in our sacrifice, when we chose to do the "right thing", when it wasn't so right for us personally. Because God's ways are not our ways". And most of us very well know the truth of this:

"Proverbs 14:12 (KJV)

"There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." - Proverbs 14:12 (KJV)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

When you get into your thirty-questions mode, it makes me not be in any haste to come back to this thread. Its real easy to generate piles and piles of questions - especially when you don't care what the answers are to those questions. And I begin to feel that's the case, so, and when I have that impression of you (which is often) its just not motivating at all to take the time to thoughtfully answer the questions when ANY answer that I sincerely come up with has no bearing to you - because the purpose of asking the questions was simply to "prove" that Christianity makes no sense, by the "fact" that there are SO MANY "questionables" - and that's all. That's not sincere, and that's why I sometimes question your sincerity. Just explaining...

Then you speak of the Catholic Church, and about Christianity in general, as if you know it, and you don't. You say SO MANY untrue things about the Church and Christianity, that it makes me think you are not interested in truth at all. Your seeming lack of any interest in any reply I write actually seems to come from that.
    I am interested in the answers to these questions, it is just that over the years, I have had numerous responses to them, none of them satisfactory, and I do not imagine that any of them are likely to be so in the future. I personally believe that if god was genuine, he would have already answered these questions with me personally. I certainly would not worship someone who does not consider my questions as anything other than valid and honest.

I think my questions in this thread can be answered by anybody, especially god if he exists, and many of them may have no satisfactory answer, so I would hope you do not feel under any pressure to answer them.

The beliefs of the Catholic Church are clear, they are in the Catechism, none of which conflicts with any Scripture, because we also believe all Scripture is true, and inspired by God.
    Interesting that you say that the beliefs of the Catholics are in the Catechism first, rather than in the Scriptures. The Scriptures say that only they come from god. The Catechism does not come from god, and is not necessary:

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Your idea that "the church obsessed with sin, and not good works" - where does that come from??
    Well, apart from saying that we are all born with sin, burying unbaptised people in unconsecrated ground, and failing to recognise the good of non-Christians, the Church believes that those who die unsaved will burn in hell for eternity, no matter how much good they do. Let us not forget that St. Peter's Basilica in Rome was built in large part by selling indulgences, not by encouraging believers to do good deeds.

I sincerely question if my reply makes a dot of difference, but I will try, briefly. Sin matters. Christians are supposed to try to grow in holiness (keeping an eye on their own progress, and not anyone else's). Its called "running the good race with your eye on the mark". That is, your eye on where you are headed. You are headed for excluding sin from your life, but you are not focused on the fact that you keep failing - you keep your eye on the mark. That's the truth of what we teach, and what most Christians, Catholic or not, believe.

But I am not sure you are interested in the truth of the matter.

Also yes, Christians believe that good works is part of being a Christian.

So there you go, an attempt to answer your question, a question I am not sure is sincere anyway

The work is done for God, so the reward comes from God, who promises it, in Heaven. We also can choose our reward now, instead of in Heaven, by bragging about our good works or pious achievements, so that we can be admired or applauded. But that's not too sensible and most of us realize that.

Any believer practicing Christianity can tell the times we have had to act against our natural inclinations in order to do a "good work", or to act in the way we believe God would have us act, in stead of what we feel inclined to do. In the telling you would likely also hear how we felt God's help in our efforts, or how He gave us supernatural peace in our sacrifice, when we chose to do the "right thing", when it wasn't so right for us personally. Because God's ways are not our ways". And most of us very well know the truth of this:

"Proverbs 14:12 (KJV)

"There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." - Proverbs 14:12 (KJV)
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not by works, lest any man should boast." - Ephesians 2:8

If there is no virtue in believing in god, why are people tortured for eternity, regardless of how much good they do?
    Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 10-29-2016 at 07:08 PM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I also think that saying that every individual is inherently flawed and defective is depraved and deeply damaging...

Six months ago, you posted the following:

What is this quote in your signature supposed to mean?:
    "If it wasn't for people, we'd all be holy." - Mary Angelica

I thought all Christians were supposed to be considered holy, not just bishops of Rome?
    No way, we are all sinners. We are supposed to be striving to be holy - perfect, in fact - which is why we need supernatural grace - in spite of all our stupid and sometimes very sinful flaws. But its a process, and we don't get cured as soon as we are baptized; we have to work at it. Dear Mother Angelica just died, and she was one amazing woman. So she is on my mind. She was loved because she was not afraid to speak the truth. Also like a good Catholic she tried to grow in holiness, while being aware of her flaws and constant failures, and she used to talk about such things on her live show very openly. She used to sit down an just start talking. No script. And say things like that. Yes, if we did not have people around us, full of flaws, like us, it would be very easy to become a holy person. That's all.

Oh, here is another one that will explain it a little more:

Attachment 7487
    And 7 months ago, you said:
    [...]I bet you can remember some fine, merciful examples of some born-again Christians among those you once knew.

I say this because I have been familiar with so many different Protestant born-again Christian groups, being an Evangelical born-again Protestant myself for many years before converting to Catholic, and I can say that while I found some fringe-types or unstable people everywhere I also never failed to also find, in the same groups, also those who were extremely reasonable, loving, merciful, devout and stable. In every "flock" there would be some Christians that I looked up to and desired to be more like. You are going to find "off" people, or fanatic-fringe, or hypocrites, in every group made up of people, because that is the reality of people. We are all flawed and broken in some way, just some more markedly so than others.[...]
    Not only are you confirming that in Christian ideology we are all sinners and are all inherently flawed, but you said "We are supposed to be striving to be holy - perfect, in fact" ...which is contrary to your stance in this thread, where you said that god does not expect you to work as hard as you can, and as well as you can.

In what sense then is such an ideology anything other than defeatist and negativist?

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Subteigh I started answering something here and had to put it aside for later, since it got long and I had to stop before i was done. Lately I have been having just minutes to browse here. I am being pulled in a few directions while trying to paint outdoors too, and hit the wall on my learning curve with this special paint - meaning I have a ton of sag and am removing it to start again ... so I will get back sometime...

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't it be great if you could warp Christianity into antinatalism because every soul brought into this world is now at risk of going to hell? Somebody's got to have tried that.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@Eliza Thomason

A few days ago, Pope Francis 'appealed to Catholics and Lutherans to "mend" history and look with honesty at the past, "recognising error and seeking forgiveness".', and apparently in the past, "praised Luther for his fight against corruption and greed in the church of the time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37827736

Do you agree with Pope Francis's assessment of Luther, and do you also agree that it was wrong for the Catholics to excommunicate Luther merely for pointing out that the church is wrong on numerous points?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@Eliza Thomason

Do you believe there is any virtue in believing in god/s?

(Anybody can attempt to answer these topics of course, if they wish).

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Eliza Thomason

Do you believe there is any virtue in believing in god/s?

(Anybody can attempt to answer these topics of course, if they wish).
    Hmm, there is reward in faith - and it doesn't take a lot of that. (mustard seed amount). Faith is a gift, it is told many times in scripture. I think that if you lack it and your desire it that gift is given. Virtues on the other hand seem to be acquired by gift and also by action/effort. We endeavor, run the good race. We try to acquire virtue, God helps us. Sometimes I ask God to help me want a virtue I should have that I do not want to work on. Like when I want something contrary to His will. He always answers that prayer!

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Hmm, there is reward in faith - and it doesn't take a lot of that. (mustard seed amount). Faith is a gift, it is told many times in scripture. I think that if you lack it and your desire it that gift is given. Virtues on the other hand seem to be acquired by gift and also by action/effort. We endeavor, run the good race. We try to acquire virtue, God helps us. Sometimes I ask God to help me want a virtue I should have that I do not want to work on. Like when I want something contrary to His will. He always answers that prayer!
    Why is there a reward for having faith? If faith is a gift...why should you be rewarded for having being giving a gift, rather than because of some inherent virtue? If you try to acquire virtue, does this mean that non-Christians are incapable of virtue?

Also, do you believe there is virtue in believing something contrary to reason?

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is there a reward for having faith? If faith is a gift...why should you be rewarded for having being giving a gift, rather than because of some inherent virtue? If you try to acquire virtue, does this mean that non-Christians are incapable of virtue?

Also, do you believe there is virtue in believing something contrary to reason?
    This author speaks of faith as a gift much better than I can right now: http://www.catholicireland.net/the-gift-of-faith/

He also mentions the practice of virtues in non-Christians, which of course is evident all around.

But its a LOT easier to acquire virtue with God's help! Being helpless, feeling unable to overcome one's wrong desires, for example - its all a strength because you say, "Lord, I can't do this. I don't want to do it your way, I want to do it mine. I need your help to change my "want" because I cannot do it by myself." God has answered that prayer so many times so powerfully that I now know I can expect instant help when I pray it. So, I have made the most progress in acquiring virtues by being helpless, stubborn and unwilling.... its God who gives me the willingness and the help. I don't conjure it.

Which is why the "manifest your happiness" spirituality that is so popular these days is empty and exhausting and ultimately go-nowhere. A big waste of time. Which is why we know which spirit is behind that...

Just saying. I realize you yourself are not involved in asking the universe to manifest your happiness.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

This author speaks of faith as a gift much better than I can right now: http://www.catholicireland.net/the-gift-of-faith/

He also mentions the practice of virtues in non-Christians, which of course is evident all around.

But its a LOT easier to acquire virtue with God's help! Being helpless, feeling unable to overcome one's wrong desires, for example - its all a strength because you say, "Lord, I can't do this. I don't want to do it your way, I want to do it mine. I need your help to change my "want" because I cannot do it by myself." God has answered that prayer so many times so powerfully that I now know I can expect instant help when I pray it. So, I have made the most progress in acquiring virtues by being helpless, stubborn and unwilling.... its God who gives me the willingness and the help. I don't conjure it.

Which is why the "manifest your happiness" spirituality that is so popular these days is empty and exhausting and ultimately go-nowhere. A big waste of time. Which is why we know which spirit is behind that...

Just saying. I realize you yourself are not involved in asking the universe to manifest your happiness.
    It is known that with a group like Alcoholics Anonymous, where members try to give up alcohol but are obliged to admit they are "powerless over alcohol", recognise that a "Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity", and be "entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character", the members actually have a lower success rate at giving up alcohol than a control group that carried on before: i.e. the process makes people less willing or able to take responsibility for their own actions.

As you might imagine, I prefer to be responsible for my own happiness and those of others around me, and as is human nature, so does everybody else generally, which is nice.

I do not believe in "spirituality": there is no such thing as the spirit.

If non-Christians can be virtuous, why do you suppose they are virtuous? Do you believe there is no divine grace or reward for such people?

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is known that with a group like Alcoholics Anonymous, where members try to give up alcohol but are obliged to admit they are "powerless over alcohol", recognise that a "Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity", and be "entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character", the members actually have a lower success rate at giving up alcohol than a control group that carried on before: i.e. the process makes people less willing or able to take responsibility for their own actions.
    I don't know anyone who ever heard of that control group, actually. I know a lot of people who have success in 12 steps though.

As you might imagine, I prefer to be responsible for my own happiness and those of others around me,
    And are you happy? And are you able to make them happy?

(I ask because a lot of time I need God's help to make others happy because my desire is to make me happy too much of the time and that means I am not contributing to what others need instead. And a lot of the things I do to make me happy ultimately make me unhappy, so I consider that I am not so good at making myself happy, and needs God's help, who knows my ultimate good. God's ways are not our ways.)

and as is human nature, so does everybody else generally, which is nice.
    Not sure what you are saying in the red...

I do not believe in "spirituality": there is no such thing as the spirit.
    So you say!

If non-Christians can be virtuous, why do you suppose they are virtuous?
    We have free will! And we are made in the image of God. People act on what is in them... (making their virtue an evidence of the existence of God).

Do you believe there is no divine grace or reward for such people?
    Nope, that is not what I believe. And remember, I have told you before. A lot of things you ask I have already addressed! This is one of the things that makes me not want to keep this thread. (But recently a forum member here wrote how ILIs fixate on a subject and can't let it go, and the way he described it reminded me of you on God/Christianity/Athesism. So I kind of get it now.)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't know anyone who ever heard of that control group, actually. I know a lot of people who have success in 12 steps though.
    It is difficult to run a randomized controlled trial on AA for these reasons. AA claims, based on its most recent (2007) survey, that 69% of its members have been sober for more than one year.[16]

However, studies have been conducted. A study published in book form under the title Outpatient Treatment of Alcoholism (Brandsma et al., 1980), was an NIAAA-funded study of AA and three alternative therapies: lay-led Rational Behavior Therapy (similar to today's SMART Recovery program); professionally conducted one-on-one Rational Behavior Therapy (today called Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy); and professionally conducted one-on-one, traditional (Freudian-based) insight therapy.

The study came to a number of conclusions:

The study showed that alcoholic men who went to Alcoholics Anonymous became 9 times more likely to subsequently “binge drink” than those who used a cognitive behavioral approach. What’s more, they were also 5 times more likely to binge than a control group who received no help with drinking. "Our study suggests further confirmation of this in our severe dropout rate from this form of treatment {Alcoholics Anonymous}. It is probable, as Ditman et al.'s (1967) work suggests and ours confirms, that AA is just not effective as a coerced treatment with municipal court offenders. (Brandsma et al., 1980, p. 84)"

Peele and Bufe assert, "The increase in binging behavior among those exposed to AA in this study militates against coercing DUI offenders into AA attendance. One very possible reason for the increase in binging is the emphasis in AA upon inevitable loss of control after even one drink, as codified in the AA slogan, "one drink, one drunk." (As we saw in Chapter 1, this assertion is not true, except to the extent that drinkers believe it to be true.) What likely happens is that for those exposed to AA, this inevitable loss-of-control belief becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. So, when a true-believing AA member slips and has a drink, or even eats a rum ball or ingests a bit of mouthwash containing alcohol, he or she could be provoked to embark on a full-bore binge." Given this, one can't help but be alarmed at the common practice of coercing DUI defendants into AA attendance and 12 step treatment.[17]

Steven Slate concurs with Peele's and Bufe's assessment of this study commenting that standard 12-step based treatment teaches people that they have no control over alcohol use, that their ‘disease’ is progressively getting worse (whether or not they’re currently drinking), and that a single whiff or sip of alcohol will send them on an uncontrollable rampage of drinking. It is commonly said within the recovery culture that if you start drinking again after a period of abstinence, you will go right back to your most extreme levels of drinking, and then quickly go far beyond that. In stark contrast to the foundations of cognitive behavioral approaches, the purveyors of conventional treatment and average 12-step members alike, vigorously oppose any suggestion that problematic substance use is a freely chosen behavior.[18]

Don McIntire of Burbank CA was given access to the AA membership surveys from 1968 through 1996. His article showed that 81% of first timers attending AA meetings drop out in the first 30 days and at the end of 90 days, 90% of them have left AA. At the end of the first year, only 5% remained in AA. He suggested that those who leave AA in the first 90 days be excluded from the survey sample in determining retention rates, thus increasing the retention rate percentage to 50% from 5% by only considering those newcomers, the 10% who remain in AA past 90 days.[19][20] A Cochrane Review of eight trials found that none unequivocally supported the efficacy of AA.[21] A 2009 metanalysis (Kaskutas 2009) found two trials to be supportive of AA, one null, and one negative trial.[22] Based on meta-analysis, the Handbook of Alcoholism Treatment Approaches ranks AA as the 38th most effective treatment for alcoholism out of a list of 48 treatments[23]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast