Thread: Socionics types and Music Preference

Melodies of a Martian~ Chryssie's Avatar
    TIM
    IxFx 49 sp/so
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Music has to be hypnotic and familiar, so my musical preferences differ when it comes to what emotions I am familiar with and what moods I can get into. I can't exactly listen to antagonistic and aggressive music, overly experimental music(which to me alot of the times feels emotionally void in that they try too hard to focus on interesting and distracting effects rather than mood), simplistic music where the lyrics makes the singer's life seem boring as fuck(this comment is 100% towards Country music) alongside music that is way too verbose and dramatic like metal music where the singers are all white with white beards in a white background (power metal) and they just cheesily yell everything as if yelling is an emotion. I think the common theme with my taste is that it's easier for my imagination and heart to get involved with music that doesn't force you to feel a certain way or is about specific events rather than relatable moods or values, or is just too boring or distracting. I love music that catches your attention but you can just listen to it while doing something else and it puts you in a zone.

The type of music that would be the polar opposite of what I like would be five guys in pirate costumes screaming the 5 most recent events in the main singer's life where the tempo never changes and he just repeats the same lyrics just so the details of his relationship are etched in my brain. A song like that would give me a headache and It's making me sick just thinking about it. Maybe I am not Fi valuing when it comes to music too personal and too boring

I listen to simple music too though it's just that it's usually not mundane or meaningless, Like folk music for example. Or anything with a simple melody but has the power of affecting you.
    Last edited by Chryssie; 02-12-2018 at 06:24 PM.

TIM
    6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite music has to be powerful, but not pathetic. I dislike most of Rock and Metal. Singer from ACDC sounds like an eunuch. Singers from metal bands sound like vomiting frogs. Pop tends to be pathetic and insignificant too. I mostly get no vibes from it.

In the last months I'm really into Wardruna (a band that uses old viking instruments), gregorian chants, and muslim chants. I don't care about the lyrics, it's just about the vibe that matters to me. I also tend to like specific songs, and never listen to full albums. I even like mostly specific parts from a song, disliking most of the rest. For example in this song, until 05:35 it's pretty regular. From 05:35 to 05:40 it calms down to prepare the eargasms caused by the part that starts after 05:40:

Then I really like music with an upbeat rhytm, but original and relaxing riffs, like this one:

But even if I like this song, there's a part where the singer just screams too much. I sometimes cut parts of songs and make loops out of them, so I can enjoy just the nice part.

Other important bands for me have been System of a Down, Linkin Park and Metallica.

What irritates me of classic rock and metal music is that it sounds pompous. I can't take it seriously. Which is funny, since a lot of people that listen to that music would fins my music cringeworthy and pathetic. It works like this, and I'm conscious about it. When I express judgements about things I dislike, I know it applies only to my taste.

Oh, big thing I noticed now that I'm reading what I just wrote. All the music I like tends to have a melancholic vibe.

P.S. I just thought about how useless my post is, since I ain't typed.

TIM
    496 so/sp
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pay the most attention to the lyrics and how much they resonate with me. I listen to mostly classic rock, 90's and today's alternative.

My favorite band ever is Led Zeppelin. I love their lyrics and they just have this really mystical and fantasy like band persona, a little more on the darker side, that really calls to me and draws me in, not to mention their LOTR themed songs (). I'm a fellow LOTR enthusiast. I like their more folk-like songs the most.

I like bands with more poetic, deep, or heavy lyrics, slower, and darker in nature. Simon and Garfunkel, Pink Floyd, The Doors, are among my favorites.

I also like some lighter classic rock like The Eagles, CCR, Steve Miller Band. I refer to The Eagles as my antidepressant band because they always uplift my mood. Crosby Stills Nash and Young are also a favorite. Love their lyrics and their harmonious vocals.

I listen to AC/DC when I need motivation.

I'm also a big fan of The Goo Goo Dolls. I like their lyrics a lot.

I hate rap and hip hop the most, probably. Some pop songs are 'ok' but I don't really like pop music. Like once in a while is ok. I was raised on country music, and I don't really care for it that much either, maybe I'm burnt out, but I don't enjoy listening to it anymore.
    Last edited by aster; 02-13-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Artist-Scientist, Skeptic Nebula's Avatar
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I really enjoy complex musical arrangements with a subjectively pleasurable harmony. I do not like repetitious song structures, especially dance music. I don't pay much attention to lyrics, probably because they are very specific to the mood and circumstances of the artist, and often just do not apply. I don't really look for music to relate to in this kind of way. I just want something musically enjoyable to listen to and isn't too boring. I like some classical music, like some Baroque, Classical, and Romantic Era composers, and movie scores. However, I find much of classical music unenjoyable. I do love the sound of certain instruments, like the piano and the cello. However, I absolutely love the electric guitar and drums together. I love guitar work that changes tempo and keys, that works up and down the neck, and have complex progressions. I love complex drum arrangements. I am really drawn to hard rock and metal for these reasons. I also like lyrics that more idea based, philosophical, and concept based than sentiment or heavy in personal emotional expression, although I can't help but be influenced by such music from time to time(I'm only human).

Artist-Scientist, Skeptic Nebula's Avatar
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    I pay the most attention to the lyrics and how much they resonate with me. I listen to mostly classic rock, 90's and today's alternative.

My favorite band ever is Led Zeppelin. I love their lyrics and they just have this really mystical and fantasy like band persona, a little more on the darker side, that really calls to me and draws me in, not to mention their LOTR themed songs (). I'm a fellow LOTR enthusiast. I like their more folk-like songs the most.

I like bands with more poetic, deep, or heavy lyrics, slower, and darker in nature. Simon and Garfunkel, Pink Floyd, The Doors, are among my favorites.

I also like some lighter classic rock like The Eagles, CCR, Steve Miller Band. I refer to The Eagles as my antidepressant band because they always uplift my mood. Crosby Stills Nash and Young are also a favorite. Love their lyrics and their harmonious vocals.

I listen to AC/DC when I need motivation.

I'm also a big fan of The Goo Goo Dolls. I like their lyrics a lot.

I hate rap and hip hop. Some pop songs are 'ok' but I don't really like pop music. I was raised on country music, and I don't really care for it that much either, maybe I'm burnt out, but I don't enjoy listening to it anymore.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
    I really enjoy complex musical arrangements with a subjectively pleasurable harmony...
    I just want something musically enjoyable to listen to and isn't too boring...
    I do love the sound of certain instruments, like the piano and the cello...
    I love complex drum arrangements...
    I like this ones too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If i had to pick a favourite artist/composer, it would probably be J.S. Bach, specifically his sacred cantatas. The blend of beautiful harmony, a moving, often poetic setting of great passages from biblical texts as well as original poems, the great instrumentation and, of course, the contrapunctal movements. Nearly all of them are absolutely divine, and they never fail to move me, often to tears.
    Heres a few i've been enjoying recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWY02RC2LSQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln9MBa8lXV4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQl42VeDqmU

ďWhen the heart is right, "for" and "against" are forgotten.Ē

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Based on these clusters:
    e
    Interesting stuff. By and large I would classify my taste in music as "high stress".

Most of the music I enjoy has a very strong point-of-view. I want my music to have a biased narrator, basically. I want to put myself inside of the mind of the character of the song. I think that's why I'm a huge fan of musical theater; the music is actually sung by a character. I mean, I like "Kim" by Eminem, and that's, like, not even basically a song, it's just a one-man disturbing acting performance with a beat and rhythm. It all relates to what entertains and engages the Ni-Fe within me, mixed with a need for Se energy. Sort of the equivalent of an animal play-fighting in comparison to my normal "serious" use of the information elements.

I think this is a good example of a typical song that I would enjoy. Driving instrumentation, some punk influences, "high-stress" song themes, clear character point-of-view. As a bonus, it uses the "repeated and/or unfinished-sounding final lyrics" trope, which I absolutely adore (the end of "London Calling" is another example: "I never felt so much a like a like a like a...").

Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm interested in hearing how other people feel like their music tastes "entertain" their valued functions, or if they relate to that concept at all.
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd

TIM
    C-ENFx Sx/So 3w4
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm always looking for ways that change the original music into something unusual and challenging to the headphones/ ears.
    It's manipulating the audio until it seems like it's played elsewhere, creating room/distance. It's something you have to use your imagination with.

• 8D versions (the music is going around you in circles, it's best to figure out which way doesn't make you dizzy. For me it's better counterclockwise)
    • underwater versions (very soothing)
    • empty arena effects (sometimes with added "weather sounds" or similar)
    • next door audios.

It's not stretching the entirety of what you can do with existing music. Any fancy EDM remix proves that wrong. But it does go into some possibilities or let's say interesting things for one's experience.

Unterwater

8D

Empty arena

Next door + thunder/rain

(Imagine Harry Styles is your neighbour!!!! Or a Harry styles fanboy or fangirl and they're just blasting it lmaoo)

Here is one with added shower sounds even: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOtNoCz3ABw
    I need some things that I want in my life now. I own so much but I have even more to lose. Big house, supercar, money, honor. Yeah... a superstar
    Art fills the walls in my room, my house is a gallery. Feel free to visit comfortably anytime. Iím just living like I used to
    Like my childhood wish, like the people on TV. Iím living it up but Iím still sad and lonely. A corner of my heart is empty. I need somebody, I ain't got nobody
    Petrus, Latour, Margaux, Conti, Jayer. I obsess over 1988 vintage, but (I need some) friends who are the same age as me. Instead I pour my own glass and drink by myself
    I'm tired. Today, tomorrow, every day is filled with work. But if there wasn't anything tomorrow it'd be strange. Hello? Is there anyone there?
    "Youíre so admirable."
    Softly, softly come on over here. Donít cry, why are you crying? Why are we both crying? Ask the stars, ask them.
    I need somebody, I ain't got nobody

https://soundcloud.com/pj-flexir/g-dragon-superstar-audio-hq

TIM
    C-ENFx Sx/So 3w4
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

3D/ Bass boosted, that's also straight fire

I need some things that I want in my life now. I own so much but I have even more to lose. Big house, supercar, money, honor. Yeah... a superstar
    Art fills the walls in my room, my house is a gallery. Feel free to visit comfortably anytime. Iím just living like I used to
    Like my childhood wish, like the people on TV. Iím living it up but Iím still sad and lonely. A corner of my heart is empty. I need somebody, I ain't got nobody
    Petrus, Latour, Margaux, Conti, Jayer. I obsess over 1988 vintage, but (I need some) friends who are the same age as me. Instead I pour my own glass and drink by myself
    I'm tired. Today, tomorrow, every day is filled with work. But if there wasn't anything tomorrow it'd be strange. Hello? Is there anyone there?
    "Youíre so admirable."
    Softly, softly come on over here. Donít cry, why are you crying? Why are we both crying? Ask the stars, ask them.
    I need somebody, I ain't got nobody

https://soundcloud.com/pj-flexir/g-dragon-superstar-audio-hq

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12