TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Gamma Types And Their Circle of Friends

Gamma members,

1. How many close friends do you have? (You actively spend time with each other, know them well, are an integral part of their life)
    2. How many acquaintances do you have? (Bond is more superficial, interactions are brief and often less deliberate)
    3. Bonus question for fun, how many enemies do you have? (Define "enemy" as you like )

Starting out with my answers

1. Usually 5-7, currently 7
    2. 400 (university and some relatives of mine and those other acquaintances)+ roughly 270 (school, 3x90 for elementary & grammar school + I skipped a grade)= 670
    3. I'm neither popular nor unpopular, a good dozen

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

1. 4, including family members and boyfriend

2. 0? I would include more distant family and friends-of-friends here, but I see them situationally and don't know how many there are. I mean I could make a wild guess of like, 50

3. 0. There are people I don't like, but I don't have to be around them if I don't want to do there's no reason for enemies

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Gamma members,

1. How many close friends do you have? (You actively spend time with each other, know them well, are an integral part of their life)
    2. How many acquaintances do you have? (Bond is more superficial, interactions are brief and often less deliberate)
    3. Bonus question for fun, how many enemies do you have? (Define "enemy" as you like )
    Hard to say. During school years, probably 5-6-7. In adult life, hard to say what is meant by close, but 4~. Many of them I do not have the chance to spend so much time with, but our relations are still close. I spend time also with people who I am not necessarily close, but have some bond of friendship.

My life is a little chaotic -- I have moved around the world a lot, so I have lots of acquaintances in many countries (and in nearly all continents). For me I do not "drop" a friend, once a friend - always a friend, just that our physical distance grows. I would say maybe I have 40 acquaintances. That seems like around number. People who I still maintain some bond with, but do not regularly see.

Real enemies -- none. At points in my life there have been people with antagonistic interests to mine, but never I considered them "enemies" so to speak. And when they lost, I was happy that I won, not that they had lost
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by totalize View Post
    Real enemies -- none. At points in my life there have been people with antagonistic interests to mine, but never I considered them "enemies" so to speak. And when they lost, I was happy that I won, not that they had lost
    Interesting that you link `enemy´ with the act of defeating them. Do they automatically cease to be enemies, then? As you don't have any, everyone lost to you? And well, what you said in the last sentence is the purpose of proper (euphemistic much?) hostility. What kind of people were those antagonists?

Personally, I need a bunch of opponents to fuel my performance, a handful is good. As an Sx/Sp I polarize in the eyes of those who dislike me, so I'll always have some type of `foe´ I am not on good terms with, sometimes without intention. Additionally, I'm a victim type, without adversary and suffering, no event of success is legit to me and I would feel undeserving. I'm satisfied when my enemies thrive as it makes me work harder. Defeating is a continual process, one defeat creates another conflict. So I avoid that but use the interpersonal tension instead to build myself up, while harming the enemy would be counterproductive. What I try is steering the situation toward a covert win-win.

I'm curious, which other philosophies on enmity are there?

TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting that you link `enemy´ with the act of defeating them. Do they automatically cease to be enemies, then? As you don't have any, everyone lost to you? And well, what you said in the last sentence is the purpose of proper (euphemistic much?) hostility. What kind of people were those antagonists?
    Well my life is not so dramatic! All I mean is I wanted X and they wanted Y. If the group moved on X, I considered I won, if on Y, they won. I certainly didn't win every time, either

Personally, I need a bunch of opponents to fuel my performance, a handful is good. As an Sx/Sp I polarize in the eyes of those who dislike me, so I'll always have some type of `foe´ I am not on good terms with, sometimes without intention. Additionally, I'm a victim type, without adversary and suffering, no event of success is legit to me and I would feel undeserving. I'm satisfied when my enemies thrive as it makes me work harder. Defeating is a continual process, one defeat creates another conflict. So I avoid that but use the interpersonal tension instead to build myself up, while harming the enemy would be counterproductive. What I try is steering the situation toward a covert win-win.

I'm curious, which other philosophies on enmity are there?
    I would prefer to have no enemies or foes at all and everyone agree with me and do what I say. Sadly that's all fiction

I'll post more a bit later.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well my life is not so dramatic! All I mean is I wanted X and they wanted Y. If the group moved on X, I considered I won, if on Y, they won. I certainly didn't win every time, either

I would prefer to have no enemies or foes at all and everyone agree with me and do what I say. Sadly that's all fiction

I'll post more a bit later.
    Gotcha!

And yes, that's why I prefer to turn those who disagree into my unforeseen fans who cheer me on (with booing, but at least they bother which indicates that they care). Your Fi creative seems to work differently?

Yes, looking forward to your input

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1. 3?
    2. around 10
    3. 0

TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Gotcha!

And yes, that's why I prefer to turn those who disagree into my unforeseen fans who cheer me on (with booing, but at least they bother which indicates that they care). Your Fi creative seems to work differently?

Yes, looking forward to your input
    Well I have to say that most of my examples where back when I had a big social group/circle, or in the less personal work situations I've found myself in. In smaller, more tightly knit groups, it's something I'd do less.

There have been times where there have been people who don't like me, of course. That's just natural. In some cases I think: why don't they like me? and can't find a good reason. In others there's a good reason and OK, possibly because we have conflicting interests. It doesn't fuel me or motivate me (although I do consciously make myself not engage in petty activity) and I'd rather it's not there, but at the same time I'm not demoralised or intimidated by it.

The victim thing is interesting. Personally I would prefer not to have any opposition. Then I can have whatever I want! (though sometimes I do burn off steam with competitive activities). But I am able to respect people who can fight me on things. Sometimes it's fun to fight with them just for the sake of it.

My philosophy on emnity is:
    Is someone hostile to me?
    Can they hurt me or my interests?
    If not, they're not worth thinking about.
    If they can, who is on their side?
    How can I turn them to being on my side?
    Can the majority be persuaded to agree with my position?
    Can I use that agreement against the other person if they're threatening my interests?

Like I said, I have not had too many enemies in my life. Mostly they were people I had to be cordial to because we were in a similar group, either socially, or work. But I like to know the stances between people so I can protect my interests. The worst thing is being told what to do and to have no control over it at all [I think all gammas can understand this], and that to me is true hostility, not just stupid name calling etc. So being able to rebuff these efforts and turn them on other people is always useful.

If not, then I can detach entirely. For example at one stage someone in our group really wanted to go and eat sushi. Now personally I really dislike sushi. But too many people there agreed with the idea, there was nothing I could do, and even though I am a social person--I detest sushi, and the argument had been had, so I could not go to the sushi restaurant. I went and ate on my own and met them later for drinks (and I had a very good meal there). I think this was petty, but at least it was principled. But I disliked that person for that, I guess it was a mark against them (one of many.)

Another example. Either we could take speedboat (more expensive) or ferry (very very cheap, but slow and not cool) to island. Someone is complaining loudly, they do not want to take speedboat, is expensive etc etc. I really wanted to take speedboat (I do not remember why) so I had to appeal to group to force decision. Different people are persuaded differently -- you've never been on a speedboat before, right? -- To another, you owe me a favour, yes? Another, OK, you back me on this I will back you on something else later. Some people you can just use volitional force, 'come on man, you agree with me' (and they say "OK!") Etc etc. Eventually we took speedboat, so I won that I guess. I did not see the other persons opposition to my idea as hostile because I got my way in the end.

Thinking about it, it was kind of petty. Those examples are from a couple years ago. Work stuff is similar, but is as often towards my ideas of what will make the workplace better (not just what I personally want), or to rail against a very bad idea. It's interesting to think in what kind of situation I'd do that these days. But these days I do not have enemies or people hostile to my ideas!

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well I have to say that most of my examples where back when I had a big social group/circle, or in the less personal work situations I've found myself in. In smaller, more tightly knit groups, it's something I'd do less.

There have been times where there have been people who don't like me, of course. That's just natural. In some cases I think: why don't they like me? and can't find a good reason. In others there's a good reason and OK, possibly because we have conflicting interests. It doesn't fuel me or motivate me (although I do consciously make myself not engage in petty activity) and I'd rather it's not there, but at the same time I'm not demoralised or intimidated by it.

The victim thing is interesting. Personally I would prefer not to have any opposition. Then I can have whatever I want! (though sometimes I do burn off steam with competitive activities). But I am able to respect people who can fight me on things. Sometimes it's fun to fight with them just for the sake of it.

My philosophy on emnity is:
    Is someone hostile to me?
    Can they hurt me or my interests?
    If not, they're not worth thinking about.
    If they can, who is on their side?
    How can I turn them to being on my side?
    Can the majority be persuaded to agree with my position?
    Can I use that agreement against the other person if they're threatening my interests?

Like I said, I have not had too many enemies in my life. Mostly they were people I had to be cordial to because we were in a similar group, either socially, or work. But I like to know the stances between people so I can protect my interests. The worst thing is being told what to do and to have no control over it at all [I think all gammas can understand this], and that to me is true hostility, not just stupid name calling etc. So being able to rebuff these efforts and turn them on other people is always useful.
    I like the philosophy, also turning hostile ones into people who wish you well is a good approach.

What I noticed throughout your paragraphs, your e8 is showing - you attributed it to our quadra. But take the ILI, for instance, they like volitional energy used upon them, albeit in the right kind of way. LIE- Generally averse to outward control, they are vulnerable to fine ethical manipulations but will reject someone else's blatant order. Personally, I hate (=fear) being subject to it, count me in. I deal with it by strategizing. ESI - Dutiful when confronted with control, or unexpectedly withstanding when it violates their principles, uses tactics rather than strategy. SEE - they are the ones who seize the control in the first place, through Fi-methods as you've elaborated quite well.
    Actively counters power imposition the best in Gamma, ESI and LIE are more passive but a stronghold, ILI will see through the imposition but does not act.

TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like the philosophy, also turning hostile ones into people who wish you well is a good approach.

What I noticed throughout your paragraphs, your e8 is showing - you attributed it to our quadra. But take the ILI, for instance, they like volitional energy used upon them, albeit in the right kind of way. LIE- Generally averse to outward control, they are vulnerable to fine ethical manipulations but will reject someone else's blatant order. Personally, I hate (=fear) being subject to it, count me in. I deal with it by strategizing. ESI - Dutiful when confronted with control, or unexpectedly withstanding when it violates their principles, uses tactics rather than strategy. SEE - they are the ones who seize the control in the first place, through Fi-methods as you've elaborated quite well.
    Actively counters power imposition the best in Gamma, ESI and LIE are more passive but a stronghold, ILI will see through the imposition but does not act.
    Maybe. I read specifically that gamma does not like having its creative or enterprising outlets restricted -- I guess that is what I meant by "relate", not necessarily that they don't want to be controlled at all or ever.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe. I read specifically that gamma does not like having its creative or enterprising outlets restricted -- I guess that is what I meant by "relate", not necessarily that they don't want to be controlled at all or ever.
    Hm, there's a difference between restriction & control so you're up to something.

TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hm, there's a difference between restriction & control so you're up to something.
    Yeah I think you are right.

Restriction -- you are not allowed to do X.
    Control -- you must do X (also you are not allowed to do Y.)

I will quote from the relative authority -- in this case, Strati, although I could find it elsewhere.

...5) to defend one's own right to freedom of action and to an adequate response by action 6) to have freedom for enterprise, for making decisions, and for defending one's own point of view.

...Gamma Quadra also feels certain "crowdedness" – a sense of being stifled and limited in the freedom of action, in freedom of proactive creativity, of private initiative and enterprise...

...3. The aspect of involutionary business logic (-Te) – Freedom of action, freedom of choice of one's profession, freedom of enterprise, freedom of creative initiative, freedom of creative self-realization...

...Gamma types are very demanding towards themselves, yet they poorly endure external control and supervision over them and their work. They can't stand having to report before someone...

Also: I normally wouldn't, but... on to something. Up to something means I am plotting which I am not doing (right now []). Sorry, I used to teach this for a number of years, so it's kind of instinctive