Thread: Who are you supposed to romance?

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Who are you supposed to romance?

I've been trying to figure out, from actual type descriptions, which relations would be the best to romance, and whether that differs by type somehow. It seems like the relationships that seem the most intuitive for romancing (Victim/Aggressor and Caregiver/Infantile) actually tend to cause a lot of conflicts when you look at the types in a non-romantic context because they have opposite perceiving functions, although I imagine it would be less awkward for Judgers vs. Percievers. So, which relationships would maximize romance while minimalizing interpersonal conflict? Or is Socionics saying we should go court one person but settle down with another?

(Hopefully not, that sounds really hard to make work. You want someone who you can get along with personally and romantically, really...)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Duality
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

You are supposed to romance someone you like above all no matter what granma Aushra invented about relationships. Because of you start to create scary excel charts of compatibility in your head and filter people according to hypothetical types you and they may be, it's sort of unnatural and doomed. So enjoy any wonderful person you feel you have mutual connection with.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics says that you will generally have similar unconscious values / worldview as someone in the same quadra as you, and you will probably get along with them better, all other things being equal. This doesn't just suddenly stop being true in non-romantic relationships (or in romantic relationships), having "opposite Perceiving functions" is actually a good thing in socionics. Ni and Se complement each other.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hag View Post
    there are definitely "less romantic" types, though; probably those that don't value .
    You say probably, which means you don't actually know. Insider tip from a Fe polr person: we are closet romantics ʕ→ᴥ←ʔ Just ask.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There's no 'supposed to' when it comes to romance. The people that others tell you should date often you feel 0 attraction or chemistry. Part of the reason why bad boys your parents don't like are so sexy.

I think romance is an inherently dangerous thing. Romance is for bad boys whose end game is something devastating. Because they are bad. But it's appealing because they are bad. So the bad must be redeemed to be good, or it will end in a tragic way. This is essentially the story of Romeo and Juliet.

A healthy relationship that works is something that's kind of boring but good for you. Eat a salad, get a good job and go to school- be compassionate to puppies. Zzzzz God some boring beta male boy scout, how revolting. But you actually can rely on a good person... a truly bad person you can't. Of course it's more complicated than this but in the end if they are abusing you and making you feel like shit even if your heart is so much into them... it's not worth pursuing them. It's childish. The Illuminati encourages this, because the illuminati wants to kill you. But people learn. Also so many beta guys are attracted to psycho raver druggie chicks. The opposite but just the same of the woman being into the bad boy.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For one, you seem to be assuming that all conflict is a bad thing and that it can't serve a greater endgame purpose in the construction of relationships. The fear of conflict rarely does anything but close doors.

Also romance is less about finding the "ideal" person and more about finding someone who can actually stand to be around you, at least from my experience.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    You say probably, which means you don't actually know. Insider tip from a Fe polr person: we are closet romantics ʕ→ᴥ←ʔ Just ask.
    I completely agree.

*ILI stepdad + ILI ex.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sorrowsofyoungwerther View Post
    Romance is not easy to type or understand. I think it has to do with levels of health, our environment and culture growing up, parental role models and our relationship with ourselves and self-esteem.
    It is easy to understand, at least from a psychological stance. SisOfNight has written about it here^^

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By "opposite percieving functions" I meant Ni/Ne and Si/Se (for Victim/Aggressor and Infantile/Caretaker, which seemed like complementary pairs to me). I do think in any case meeting your activator sounds much more appealing than your dual, since due to the mutual correspondence between the lead and HA of the types, as well as the E/I value, you'll have similar interests and lifestyles even if you don't partake in similar activities as your life's focus. After that I would put your Mirror as more compatible than your Dual. Duals seem good but they're literally just the type that you have the least in common with who you'll get along with smoothly.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

tmi
    Last edited by Aylen; 09-30-2016 at 09:18 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying you should use socionics to choose your partner. I'm just trying to figure out what the theory says.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schildmaid View Post
    I'm not saying you should use socionics to choose your partner. I'm just trying to figure out what the theory says.
    I think the theory needs an overhaul. It is outdated and incomplete as is.

I still find some value in it though or I would be long gone.

YWIMW

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

The short answer to the OP's question: According to the current Socionics theory, the best romance would occur between Aggressor-Victim and Caretaker-Childlike.

Other than that, it really depends on a bunch of other factors as well – sexual/romantic attraction probably counting the most.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'm supposed to romance @Jessica123 but I've missed my opportunity
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Long answer:

As other people have pointed out before, it can be a mistake to fixate too much on a specific personality type to date. You don't date a type, you date a person. However, if you did look at the types and wanted to decide which ones you'd rather focus on for romance and/or long term dating, you'd have to consider what you value the most.

I've roughly grouped the most common values for relationships into Lust, Heart, Mind, and Interests.

Gulenko's Romance Style matches fulfill the Lust aspect the best, aka have the best sexual connection.

Types who have your preferred (valued) Ethical IE in their Ego fulfill the Heart aspect the best, aka you have the best emotional connection with them.

Types who have your preferred (valued) Logical IE in their Ego make the best Mind companions; they are the most intellectually stimulating.

At last, types who are in the same Club as you, and your Look-a-like* or Kindred partner** will be the ones who share the most common interests with you, aka you have the best platonic connection with them.

Based on the above, I have discovered that your Dual does not actually match all of these 4 categories, but only 2.
    People of the same Quadra all fit into 2 of the categories, and interestingly people of the same Quadra are considered to be the best matches for you.
    This shows that you cannot get "everything" from only one person. Realistically, not even your Dual can fulfill all your relationship needs. That should be kept in mind.

Either way, decide what you value the most, and go from there. If that means you value the person before their type, so be it. (That's probably a good idea, but still, just stay away from your Conflictor, okay? ) Personally, I've found that most people are able to feel whether they are on a good wavelength with someone and compatible, without the help of Socionics.It is those people who do not have this ability – mostly men with weak IME, or victims of abuse – who likely benefit from Socionics's IR theory the most.

*For: EIE, LIE, EII, LII, LSI, ESI, SEI, SLI, ESE, LSE
    ** For: IEI, ILI, IEE, ILE
    Last edited by Olimpia; 09-30-2016 at 09:06 PM.

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sorrowsofyoungwerther View Post
    I read the article and I think it is great. What I mean by easy to understand is some individual traits and styles of communication are more appealing than others for reasons that are difficult to explain.
    Ahh that's what you meant. Gotcha

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SisOfNight View Post

Gulenko's Romance Style matches fulfill the Lust aspect the best, aka have the best sexual connection.

Types who have your preferred (valued) Ethical IE in their Ego fulfill the Heart aspect the best, aka you have the best emotional connection with them.

Types who have your preferred (valued) Logical IE in their Ego make the best Mind companions; they are the most intellectually stimulating.

At last, types who are in the same Club as you, and your Look-a-like* or Kindred partner** will be the ones who share the most common interests with you, aka you have the best platonic connection with them.

*For: EIE, LIE, EII, LII, LSI, ESI, SEI, SLI, ESE, LSE
    ** For: IEI, ILI, IEE, ILE

Okay, let's run with this and look at what all this means for the intertype relation matches.
    (Keep in mind: this is mostly just theory, backed up by some observations. Either way, real life experiences may differ.
    And yeah, I had a big HA moment when I came up with this... )

Best Romance or Sexual encounter:
    Dual, Activity, Semi-Dual when Irrational, Mirage when Rational, Benefactor when Irrational, Beneficiary when Rational

Best Emotional Connection:
    For Logical types: Dual, Activity, Semi-Dual when Rational, Mirage when Irrational, Benefactor when Rational, Beneficiary when Irrational
    For Ethical types: Identity, Mirror, Look-a-like when Irrational, Kindred when Rational, Supervisee when Irrational, Supervisor when Rational

Best Intellectual Connection:
    For Ethical types: Dual, Activity, Semi-Dual when Rational, Mirage when Irrational, Benefactor when Rational, Beneficiary when Irrational
    For Logical types: Identity, Mirror, Look-a-like when Irrational, Kindred when Rational, Supervisee when Irrational, Supervisor when Rational

Best Platonic Connection:
    Identity, Mirror, Quasi-Identical, Extinguishment, Look-a-like* or Kindred**

*********** 21-04-19:

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schildmaid View Post
    I've been trying to figure out, from actual type descriptions, which relations would be the best to romance
    If you want good romance - duality, drama - conflictors, plain relations - same type.

> It seems like the relationships that seem the most intuitive for romancing (Victim/Aggressor and Caregiver/Infantile) actually tend to cause a lot of conflicts when you look at the types in a non-romantic context because they have opposite perceiving functions

supplementing. opposite are Te - Fe, Si - Ni, etc.

> which relationships would maximize romance while minimalizing interpersonal conflict

duality

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verbrannte View Post
    It seems like the relationships that seem the most intuitive for romancing (Victim/Aggressor and Caregiver/Infantile) actually tend to cause a lot of conflicts when you look at the types in a non-romantic context because they have opposite perceiving functions
    They have the exact opposite everything. That's why they're theoretically the perfect fit. Each opposite information element compliments the other. They're like two sides of the same coin. In fact, the only problem in duality is that there's a lot of not-type-related stuff that makes people less compatible.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By "opposite percieving functions" I meant Ni/Ne and Si/Se (for Victim/Aggressor and Infantile/Caretaker, which seemed like complementary pairs to me). I do think in any case meeting your activator sounds much more appealing than your dual, since due to the mutual correspondence between the lead and HA of the types, as well as the E/I value, you'll have similar interests and lifestyles even if you don't partake in similar activities as your life's focus. After that I would put your Mirror as more compatible than your Dual. Duals seem good but they're literally just the type that you have the least in common with who you'll get along with smoothly.
    Maybe you should read more about socionics instead of coming up with your own theories first. True, activators are more *similar* but this leads to competition and less ability to help one another. One great thing about duality is that you don't get in each other's way; it's very easy to take responsibility for the different areas of life.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sensing ethic sounds hot. Dual is the answer.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    They have the exact opposite everything.
    values are same

In fact, the only problem in duality is that there's a lot of not-type-related stuff that makes people less compatible.
    not-type-related is not duality problem
    The example problem of duality may appear if 2 need to do the work, where one can't (or not supposed) do all related to his strong functions and hence part of such work lays on weak functions of other. Such people may have friendly relations and such await it will be similarly good to work together, but it's not obligate. Imagine ESE and LII in small restaurant business. It will be nice if ESE will cook, while LII will get paper work (accountant, delivery, etc). But place that LII on kitchen and problems may appear.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Substitute romance with bromance, it's a lot easier.