Thread: Is the Enneagram a better way to predict interactions than Intertype Relations?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is the Enneagram a better way to predict interactions than Intertype Relations?

Share your thoughts...
    Last edited by Iwantpeace; 09-11-2020 at 04:44 PM.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I know that I can't get along with 2's. It's so awkward, 2s are super warm and loving while 4s are cold and see themselves as broken and if a 2 comes smothering them it makes us uncomfortable. And I can never have a close relationship with someone that is sx last either. We are just not on the same page regardless of sociotype. Other than that I could be friends/partner with all of the enneatypes.

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

No. Enneagram is a path to self-discovery, but most importantly, healing. It's not about predicting interactions.
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics is not awesome for predicting things. It can tell you, in general, you will get along better with certain kinds of people. But it's really better for explaining/interpreting things, like why a particular conflict happened in the first place. You'll find many exceptions to the rules if you look for predictions per se.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Devil's advocate: do you type people based on how you get on with them, or do you analyse how you get on with them based on their socio/ennea-type? Both typing systems are susceptible to circular logic in practice.

I think they shed light on different facets of people, and furthermore that their greatest use is in providing possible reasons for problems that are already occurring, rather than to forecast troubles. This is because it's more difficult to have enough information fine-tuned to that person's idiosyncrasies, especially at the beginning of an acquaintance, to predict something, than it is to have enough information for a post-mortem (so to speak).

Forecasting runs a large risk of ignoring the person in favour of your model, whereas post-analysis has more data to work with and a far more nuanced apprehension of things.
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have more trouble figuring out peoples' enneagram types than their socionics types...I wonder, if enneagram is a better tool than why? it's kinda more hazy than socionics. like I feel it's harder to predict which enneatypes will get along and stuff.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summerprincess View Post
    I have more trouble figuring out peoples' enneagram types than their socionics types...I wonder, if enneagram is a better tool than why? it's kinda more hazy than socionics. like I feel it's harder to predict which enneatypes will get along and stuff.
    It's not made to tell you how you'll get on with people, is my guess. More use in elucidating possible motivations for someone's behavioural patterns. Besides, afaik enneagram was constructed as part of a mystical tradition; I wouldn't expect something straightforwardly logical and applicable from such a background, which has much invested in getting people to think about/meditate on a subject at length.
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be relevant: https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/t...-combinations/

This is a chart of the types in horizontal and vertical directions and how many identified couples in each. It show that some enneagram pairings are more popular then others: http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneag...ationships.php

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sorrowsofyoungwerther View Post
    What are your thoughts on Enneagram compatibility compared to Socionics compatibility? Is it a better predictor of issues in the relationship?
    I think the instincts (sx, sp and so) is very good for compatibility predictions! I have trouble myself to identify them so I do not use it.

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Not at all.

Enneagram is meant for self-enlightenment and as a path to personal healing. It's not meant to predict how you will interact with other people, though some superficial elements of the system might allow for that in a basic way.
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I think the Enneagram is entirely derivable from Socionics information. Someone said that they found really strong correlations between Enneagram types and Socionics types. Probably once you account for all the subtypes and such you wouldn't need the Enneagram at all.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by totalize View Post
    No. Enneagram is a path to self-discovery, but most importantly, healing. It's not about predicting interactions.
    Yes. Addendum: It deals with motivations. All motivations can be compatible with each other, it's just a matter of personal preference.