Thread: friendship or wishful thinking

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default friendship or wishful thinking

This made me think ... turns out that only half of anyone's friends actually like them back, and the other half is imagined friendships on your end.

When you call someone a friend, it goes without saying that they too consider you a friend - you like them, they like you, it’s a reciprocal thing. But a recent study has found that this is probably only true about 50 percent of the time - only half of perceived friendships are actually mutual, and that’s a problem. Led by researchers from MIT, the study analysed friendship ties in 84 subjects aged 23 to 38, who were taking part in a business management class.

The subjects were asked to rank how close they were with each person in the class on a scale of 0 to 5, where 0 means "I do not know this person," 3 means "Friend," and 5 means "One of my best friends." The researchers found that while 94 percent of the subjects expected their feelings to be reciprocated, only 53 percent of them actually were.

http://www.sciencealert.com/you-have...do-study-finds

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very fascinating. I've always been a quality over quantity of friends type person. Now I don't feel so bad about not having 2000+ friends on social media, heh.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I would say that study is correct. I can think of types like SEI who make superficial friendship where they pick someone that they want on their company and say "I want to make friends with him" then you have someone like me where meeting someone and spending time with them evolves into something real which I call a friendship and only when I feel that the person knows the secret recesses of my heart a friend. Some people to note here on the forum who are my friends are @applejacks and @Eliza Thomason @Director Abbie so there you have it those are my friends. depth not breath!

I love others too in a very well wishing and Christian way but I hardly know them and if I did maybe a friendship will evolve.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"When you call someone a friend, it goes without saying that they too consider you a friend - you like them, they like you, it’s a reciprocal thing."
    ...no.
    I've aware that most of the people I've thought of as friends during my lifetime would not think of me when "friends" came to mind. (Not that they'd deny we were friends if asked; it would seem rude not to.) And some people considered me a close friend who I only kind of liked. It's like a balanced relationship is the unattainable ideal. One will always like the other more.

Regarding that list of friend qualifications from the show, it doesn't suit me. I've refrained from calling the friends I like most and spend the most time with my "best friends." Because I realized: they don't actually have the qualities that make a person good at being a friend. So no: they're not the best at it. But they are my favorite friends, so I call them that.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You just have to observe how people are able to bend themselves to be part of the pack - I'd say it is not surprising at all. That is something where I have had great deal of nervousness and inability if there is a need to adjust - OTOH that is not something I aim for or would handle even though there are people who can not sometimes comprehend or understand this when they meet me.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quick search: It seems that lot people online have serious doubts about this study.
    Bit too painful to think about it? It is probably some kind survival strategy among social animals to assume and rely on these kinds of things.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org