Thread: Are function dimensionality and socionics types fixed ?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are function dimensionality and socionics types fixed ?

I'm curious about what really sets 2D (norms) apart from 1D (experience) ? I firmly believe that with enough expreince/reference points, you would learn social norms and with added (enough) experience you would get situational insights whether they are about force, expressing emotions or business/efficiency. I see this wont apply in Socionics. But why ? I think if Socionics types exist, they are more dynamic than people think. Like you can be ESE than become LIE at a later time, but only if you really commit yourself to change. The brain would make necessary adapttions in your personality.Personality is not like eye color but more like muscles.

Ideas ?

For example; I've (for sure) changed quadras at different points in my life. Delta-Beta-Gamma-Delta-Alpha-Beta as far as I can remember. Usually change happens with shitloadz of stress or happiness.
    Last edited by Mr inappropriate; 08-17-2016 at 09:10 PM.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'd agree with this generally, though i think the function/ie combos are more subtle than what you've said here

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr inappropriate View Post
    I think if Socionics types exist, they are more dynamic than people think.
    You may develop functions and concrete skills in their region, but it's doubtful to degree when your type would change. At least, in common social life for very most of people.
    Jung thought the change of type is possible. But practically it's doubtful. It's like those who are born as left-handed, become adults with this preference - almost all will stay as left-handed for all their life. Even if special training of adults can change them to right-handed. While to change a type should be much harder.
    I heard the consequences for left-handed children who were trained to become as right-handed are negative for their psyche. Children have more flexible psyche. So the procedure and consequences of changing type for adults may to be extreme. Jung had practice with people having mental issues (psychiatrist and then psychotherapist), - so maybe his opinion about type's chaning relates to such cases. Or he just changed the opinion about type of some men, like we do today not so rare.

For example; I've (for sure) changed quadras at different points in my life.
    It's doubtful you changed your type. You could change self-perception, like many people think themselves one type and then other.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with this thesis. However, I think it should be mentioned that the Ego has a pathological impulse the reserve status quo and thus people actually making significant changes to themselves after the era of plasticity are rare and unlikely to happen. Really, it takes a severe trauma or a psychological breakdown to build up enough kinetic energy for that kind of detour.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To answer the OP, you can keep acquiring experience and with enough experience you might even be able to pass for someone with a strong function. Regarding norms, I think a 1-D function might have a 'surface' understanding of the norms but has real difficultly in actually applying that understanding in the real world.

I don't think you can truly change socionics types though.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't think personality naturally changes suddenly and significantly under normal conditions.

But to say that under normal conditions that sudden personality changes are unlikely would be rather like saying that "The climate doesn't suddenly change on a Friday.": it would be a meaningless statement. We all know that we are capable of different moods all on one day.

I believe that as individuals have changes in their priorities throughout their lifetime (whether consciously or subconsciously), their personalities are certainly capable of changing over longer periods of time.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do believe that one can build off of focused experience into the next #dimension, but it wouldn't change your type, nor your quadra values. Some people might reinterpret your type, however. But the underlying values and comfort with certain types of information would still be there.

It would, however, take an extreme sense of need and priority to put that much work into changing even one dimension. However, a change in one would somewhat alter others. For example, being an implicit type (NF) and struggling to develop more explicitness in thinking would eventually improve one's ability to handle Ti and Te types of info, but not to the comfort nor value level of an NT. Or turning to work on more concrete/material projects might increase one's ability to handle Si and Se info in regards to _that particular project_ or very related projects, without increasing it in other dissimilar projects.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr inappropriate View Post
    I'm curious about what really sets 2D (norms) apart from 1D (experience) ? I firmly believe that with enough expreince/reference points, you would learn social norms and with added (enough) experience you would get situational insights whether they are about force, expressing emotions or business/efficiency. I see this wont apply in Socionics. But why ?
    It seems to me you are confusing how socionics uses the term experience with how it is commonly used

The meaning of word "experience" in Socionics is different from the commonly used and understood meaning: "The combination of knowledge, skills, abilities, acquired from life, practical activities, etc." [4].

In common usage, it can be said that "experience passes from generation to generation." However, what is actually transferred between generations is knowledge, which in Socionics terms most closely correspond to the dimension "norm."
    source: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...y-of-Functions

I think if Socionics types exist, they are more dynamic than people think.
    maybe, but just to be in the safe side you should understand that socionics focus on how you think & process information internally not how you act or behave. it is true that thoughts influence actions but actions alone can't tell you what the other person thought since different thoughts can lead to the same act

Like you can be ESE than become LIE at a later time, but only if you really commit yourself to change.
    good luck with that

The brain would make necessary adaptations in your personality.Personality is not like eye color but more like muscles.
    you can gain all the skills, knowledge and experiences you want, but that doesn't mean the way your brain perceive or judge information have changed, so don't think of personality as limitation but as a tool to understand yourself so you can approach your goals in the most natural way for you so you can reach your potential quicker

For example; I've (for sure) changed quadras at different points in my life. Delta-Beta-Gamma-Delta-Alpha-Beta as far as I can remember.
    I guess even your type is inappropriate < just kidding but seriously why did you choose this name? would you be proud to be called that in public?

Usually change happens with shitloadz of stress or happiness.
    well I guess think can be related to inferior eruption discussed in the below video (It is about MBTI), but inferior eruption is temporarily (due to stress) not a lasting change, so I agree with @Sol it is more likely that your self-perception has changed