Thread: How can you tolerate office work ?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How can you tolerate office work ?

I developed this habit of not actually being able to work on my own. Its serious, my attention span is limited to 30 seconds on computer (which is how most of the work is done in my field / Business major). I did some part time jobs. I enjoyed for a brief period (2 days ? ) in a marketing part time project which was about writing a report about likely customer reaction to a new product. I also did a couple of days in fair, talking with people and giving them information about our "offers". Otherwise I really couldnt tolerate office/computer work in internships, I felt like a part of my soul were dying everyday.

I'm aware that I need to have a job (unless I find a rich woman to marry) but I also dont want to sacrifice my mental health. Is it the same for everybody (imo everybody seemed unhappy at work) if so, how do you guys cope ?

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Working 9-5 5 days/week is an everlasting torment of my life. I haven't found any alternative solution to get my bills paid so I just struggle every working day... It's all starting by multiple alarms... And wait for a bibitibabetiboo miracle that will save me somehow. Since I am a wreck in managing my money, every now and then dad helps to avoid financial disaster. I wish we had 2 days of work and 5 days of weekend, seriously.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Force it until you get used to it and try to find ways to make your work more interesting.

Don't work in marketing or any other area where they expect you to shovel bullshit.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I refuse to work in an office and I would never trade being outside with the dreariness of office work. There are lots of careers outside of an an office setting. Even lots of jobs that could lead to a career. If you make $16/ hour in an office, why not apply with an entry level labour job for $16/hour if you are going to be paid the same anyway for an equally dead end job, why not do something you at least enjoy?

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually rather prefer the cubicle jobs. I get my work done quickly and then surf the internet.

Most computer jobs do not need you to have ears available to listen to people erratically, so plug in some Dr. Dre on your headphones and bump the OG west coast gangsta shit while murder that spreadsheet.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    ile
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I actually rather prefer the cubicle jobs. I get my work done quickly and then surf the internet.

Most computer jobs do not need you to have ears available to listen to people erratically, so plug in some Dr. Dre on your headphones and bump the OG west coast gangsta shit while murder that spreadsheet.
    same.

enneagram 946/947

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

Same for me. Office work is my preferred type of work. I like a quiet, calm environment where I can get things done with minimal interruptions. I also don't mind sitting in a chair for long periods of time provided that I like the work I'm doing. It's preferable to a physically grueling job. I like working with information and data. Probably not surprising when you consider my socionics and enneagram type. The computer and I are best friends- provided that the computer is working. Just don't ask me to troubleshoot it when it breaks down. That sort of thing I'm not so good at.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Do you by chance have ADD? You're probably just not in the right field of work. It sounds like you need to find something more interactive that you enjoy doing.

I have the same issue (it's actually 100% of the reason why I didn't go to College). Instead of office work, I tend to only go for physical jobs where I use my hands, body or artistic skill. Unless I'm taking medication for my ADD, I simply do not have the attention span required to complete that kind of work.

A desk job would drive me nuts.
    I dont have ADD but most stuff are not in reach of human tolerance. Like 200~ new mails everymorning, you just cant keep track so why even start reading them. I tried to tell people to call me for important stuff because i wont check all e-mails then i got fired

I did pretty well in collage actually because i liked learning and exams were more like an obstacle to get through with least amount of effort so i was examining profs styles in classes and study the most important points and done ! I loathed projects and term papers though. I was usually willing to do presentation for the group (even if i prerty much suck at it and very very anxious of them ) so that i can skip preparing reports.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    I haven't found any alternative solution to get my bills paid so I just struggle every working day...
    Find the job you like more. To switch when you are young and probably without children is not hard. There are no reasons to make your existence more miserable than it could.
    The other side are people - when you like those who near, you perceive everything better, including your everyday duties. Maybe relations with people are even more important in this. People seems may get pleasure from almost everything when have correct mood.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can't. i agree with you that it is soul-killing.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually love office work. Most days, I am always out doing physically demanding work so when I can take a break and work in the office instead, it's like a free pass. I just sit here and surf the net while periodically doing my actual job--what's not to love about that? When I think of my ideal future job, it would be sitting in an office corner somewhere. Sometimes it's nice to get out and get your hands dirty, but that's overrated. I'd rather take the internet, a comfy chair, and air conditioning.

Obviously that kind of work isn't for everyone; maybe you need a more technical job.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Find the job you like more. To switch when you are young and probably without children is not hard. There are no reasons to make your existence more miserable than it could.
    The other side are people - when you like those who near, you perceive everything better, including your everyday duties. Maybe relations with people are even more important in this. People seems may get pleasure from almost everything when have correct mood.
    You did not get what I meant. I feel like that in any job and I already switched a lot of times in completely different fields. I am in good terms with my colleagues, appreciated by my management (17% pay rise in 4 years) and my close ones tell me I am lucky to be where I am... BUT... the obligation to have a constant working schedule is just not my thing.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's knowing that you are essentially self-sabotaging yourself for some greater reward. (I view all jobs kinda the same way) You can try to follow your passions and do what you love- but it still needs to kinda be other focused to get money from it- because on a raw level, money is something other people have to give you. My enfp cousin says something I like "All jobs suck." (Unless you're a celebrity maybe? But they sell their souls anyway- the biggest price. =p)

I mean it's like picking up dog poop. (dog poop = most jobs) Do you idealize and philosophize or do you just... scoop up the poop , knowing it needs to be done? You don't wanna scoop up the poop yourself - you wanna be the somebody that pays people to do that for you- and so you become a charmer instead. Aka a Fraud. You get on people's good sides so they don't attack you for being a Justin Bieber princess that spits on ppl with a gleeful smile. That's why bosses are so fake over the top friendly so much, it's so obvious. And people usually fall for it, because no matter the hard front people like to give out- everybody likes having their ego stroked via good talking. They give you "empathy" , you give them sweat. Of course, realistically the sweat is what is real- the empathy not so much. Hehe. And the narc boss will share their personal life to prove they are just like you or something but the exchange on a practical level is what I am talking about.

And because having to clean up poop is indeed so shitty and void of meaning - other people reward you for your pain. (I notice I get a lot more tips when I have a sad emo face.) The reward for your services is not much though- because you could just be an asshole like them and totally manipulate the entire system for your own self benefit while narcissistically shooting fireworks out of your boobs and pretending everything is hunky dory. Do you complain and talk about it? Like ppl who are maids or do dirty work for narcissists who can't do it themselves.... society is built on people doing crappy things so narcissistic celebrities can get their way all the time. When a robot can do anything, only the biggest Jew Sage entertainer wins.

But then again we are back to square one... the poop needs to be picked up, soooo what do you do? I have educated myself at snob academy inc so I don't have to pick up poop for the rest of my life!, but that is just another form of self-delusion the greatest philosophers might say. The narcs are babies- and babies can't help but poop cuz they aren't potty trained yet. So society tricks you into being a person so moral and so educated, and so refined- they are above picking up poop. But the poop is still there, waiting for somebody to just shovel it up so the entire world doesn't go to shit- so the world is then indeed separated via Jews and Goyims.

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not all office jobs are the same, so maybe look at different types and sizes of organisations? The one I work at helps vulnerable people and though still working to targets, there's an element of compassion that you wouldn't find in other more corporate places. Plus the clients we deal with keep us on our toes - it's far from boring.

Also if you are using MS Outlook and haven't done so already, you can put filters on to make sorting through emails easier. Good luck.