Thread: EQ

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default EQ

IQ, EQ. One can be measured and the other is like a 'counter attack' for those who think intelligence is not the most important thing in the world. Joke aside.

The traditional way of thinking would put ethic ego type having high EQ and logic ego types to have a benefit in IQ. But from my experiences that does not hold true. I find higher correlation with sensing types having benefit in EQ and intuitive types having benefit in IQ.

Since it is cognitive, or mind stuff we are dealing with here it seem not impossible there would be some correlations.

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

As I understand, there is a fairly significant positive correlation between IQ and EQ (although of course it is possible to be strong in one and not the other).

Whether EQ is especially associated with certain types is an interesting question that I had not thought about before. Just googling now, it seems that the only one of the Big Five traits to have a correlation with EQ is Conscientiousness (i.e. there is no significant correlation between EQ and Agreeableness, as might reasonably be supposed) (link).

EQ is possibly a not very well-defined measure however compared to other metrics.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Is there a relationship between the Myers‐Briggs type indicator and emotional intelligence?

Abstract:
    Presents the results of a research study, covering 177 managers. This research was designed specifically to examine the relationship between emotional intelligence (EI) and the Myers‐Briggs type indicator (MBTI) profiles of the sample population. Indicates that the dominant MBTI function of Intuition (and the associated MBTI profiles) is significantly and positively related to higher levels of EI. In looking at specific MBTI scales, the lack of significant relationships between high Feeling scores and EI is seen as somewhat surprising. However, this may in part be due to under‐representation of high “feeling” participants in the research study and, in part, due to methodological limitations of comparing data from normative and ipsative instruments. Provides some support overall for the proposed relationship between the MBTI and EI and also highlights potential areas for future research.
    Self-awareness. Self-awareness relates to an individual's self-knowledge.
    The tendency to be in touch with one's feelings and emotions and to make a
    realistic appraisal of one's strengths and weaknesses.
    Emotional resilience. The ability to perform consistently in a range of
    situations under pressure and to adapt one's behaviour appropriately. The
    ability to retain focus on a course of action or the need for results in the face
    of personal challenge or criticism.
    Motivation. The drive and energy to achieve clear results and make an
    impact, and to balance both short-term and long-term goals.
    Interpersonal sensitivity. The ability to be aware and take account of the
    needs and perceptions of others when arriving at decisions and proposing
    solutions to problems and challenges.
    Influence. The ability to persuade others to change a viewpoint based on an
    understanding of their position and the recognition of the need to listen to this
    perspective and prove a rationale for change.
    Intuitiveness (decisiveness). The ability to arrive at clear decisions and drive their
    implementation when presented with incomplete or ambiguous information
    using both rational and "emotional" insightful perceptions of key issues and
    implications.
    Conscientiousness. The ability to display clear commitment to a course of
    action in the face of challenge and to match words with deeds in encouraging
    others to support the chosen direction. The personal commitment to pursuing
    an ethical solution to a difficult business issue or problem.

MBTI admittedly, but I think the conclusion has wider applicability.

Table summing up the study's conclusions:

That might suggest that certain aspects of Emotional Intelligence can be associated with certain types, and that lumping a lot of behaviour into defintions of EQ and not having a study in relation to dominant Jungian IMs can give somewhat meaningless results.
    Last edited by Subteigh; 07-31-2016 at 04:03 PM.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When I first encountered MBTI, I remember reading about people's opinions of ENTJ's (for example, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89uYbBOm6fg, and his opinion is fairly representative), and I thought, "Wait a minute. I think I have fairly good insight into how people feel. I may sometimes say something that stops the conversation, but that is completely different from not knowing how far to push someone, and not caring how they feel when you are doing that."

The above chart is a reminder of something I came across which said that ENTJ's have fairly good EQ in the MBTI pantheon.
    http://entjforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=132

Of course, everyone is different. Myself included.