Thread: Eulogy

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Eulogy

I delivered my dad's eulogy. I'll post it here.

What would you say about someone you love
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I have been asked to give a Eulogy a couple of times and I just couldn't do it so I refused, politely. I have spoken at wakes before but it was in a moment of pure inspiration to speak. In one case I felt like the person who had died was pushing me to speak up because they didn't feel others were being completely genuine in their sentiments. It was really surreal and I felt a bit self conscious after but not during. I kind of left everyone speechless and many came up to me after and said I did a great job and the deceased person would have been proud of me. I hope it never happens again. I was very freaked out by my own lack of filters in that situation. It was like the person who died took over and said what they wanted then silently retreated back into the ether.

I am sure your father would have been proud of you too.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Something crowd pleasing because I likely wouldn't feel like saying anything for the sake of myself.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Five days ago, in the emergency room of the hospital, my father kissed me on the cheek for what would turn out to be the last time.

I would like to remember him for the responsive parent and loving husband that he was.

As a father he never rejected our ideas and always thoroughly considered our plans. Sympathetic and affectionate, he watched unassumingly and quietly. He was always ready to offer an opinion when he was asked.

He believed in cooperative relationships as he gave us wings and let us be our own people, and find our own destiny.

He loved hosting parties, to bring all his friends and beloved family together. He would passionately engage in his craft as he stood countless hours behind the stove and produced complicated dishes that took hours to prepare.*

My father was a man with a quiet and serious exterior. But underneath that was compassion and kindness that he shared with both his family, his friends, and many others he found in need. He never believed that material possessions were what gave a person worth.

He loved history, art, politics, and sports, and remained true to those loves all his life. But he never begrudged anyone what they loved, and this helped him make connections and enjoy the company of many different types of people. He lived with love and respect for his relationships. His parents taught him that lesson, and he taught us the same way to live.

How to be patient with each other, how to avoid holding grudges, how to make life more than a record of favors done for us and wrongs done to us. He was willing to tease, but never drove a wedge between his family members. My father was a man who believed, above all else, that life was not meant to be lived alone.

As a loving husband he was a partner to my mom. They made truly important decisions as a team.

Dad, thank you for all the love you always gave us. It was your greatest gift. We’ll always treasure it.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html