Thread: Extroversion Introversion Test

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Default Extroversion Introversion Test

This one is pretty decent. Just make sure you read the instructions and the scale carefully since it changes. I don't always but this time I did so I didn't have to redo test because I didn't read instructions. I think "the soloist" is pretty accurate for me until I feel comfortable with someone. Of course there are exceptions but in general I avoid people until I am ready to socialize but when I am done I disappear back to my lair. I went ahead and bought the full results just out of curiosity but it still gives results without payment. I am posting the "advice" it gave me too.

http://psychologytoday.tests.psychte...idRegTest=1311

This is the free result

Shyness is not introversion

Imagine yourself at a huge tropical resort for a one-week vacation. Do you see yourself sticking to the poolside, taking the occasional stroll alone on the beach, maybe making one or two friendly acquaintances? Or are you chatting it up wherever you go, quickly forming a group of summer-fun friends, and seeking out all the good parties? If you picked the first one, you just may be an introvert - and if you picked the second, well, you just may be an extrovert. The key word in the sentence however is may - extroversion and introversion is not the black-and-white characteristic many believe it to be. Moreover, despite what some might think, whether you're an extrovert or an introvert is typically not a matter of choice ? it's an orientation. While introverts are drawn to and seek solace in the inner world of thoughts and emotions, extroverts on the other hand, turn to the outer world ? to people and social activities.

A major problem with current views on extroversion and introversion is that many of them are based on stereotypes, specifically in terms of the latter. Since introverts will often keep to themselves and prefer to mull over their thoughts rather than think "out loud", they can come off as aloof and unapproachable. In most cases however, this is not their intent. In addition, while some introverts may be characterized as shy, many of them are actually quite at ease in social situations. What makes them different from extroverts is their need for the occasional "social break", turning to relative solitude for a little R&R. The fact of the matter is that we all have a little extrovert and introvert in all of us. We might, for example, act goofy when hanging out with friends, but barely make a peep during office meetings. By gaining a better understanding as to where we lie on the extroversion/introversion continuum, we can develop not only a deeper understanding of ourselves, but also of those who may not share the same orientation.

Whether introverted or extroverted, the type of orientation you have has a significant impact not only on the type of occupation you choose but your friendship preferences as well. Regardless of your results on this test, note that for this particular assessment there is no "good" or "bad" score.

Paid version:

Your Personality Type: The Soloist
    Soloists are those strong silent types that have no qualms about treading through the world on their own. This type pretty much keeps to themselves, neither asking for nor offering a penny for thoughts. Although people with this profile may come off as cold or detached it's not necessarily how they truly are ? they're simply content with being their own best listener and companion. Soloists won't talk much about themselves (if at all) and tend to prefer being left to their own devices. They generally don't take too kindly to those who constantly probe them for answers or who invade their "fortress of solitude", so it's best to respect their boundaries.

Overall results (score 25)
    Overall degree of extroversion.
    Your score indicates that you display many of the characteristics of an introvert. In general this means that you focus more on the inner world of ideas, thoughts, emotions and reflections. This sphere is also the area where you draw your energy and motivation. Introverted people usually develop a limited number of close friendships and are typically uncomfortable with shallow, short-lived encounters. For more details about your orientation, check out the rest of your results.
    Sociability (score 19)
    The extent to which you are outgoing and enjoy socializing.
    According to your results, you appear to be the type of person who doesn't socialize very often. You likely have a limited social network, and may not be extremely interested in extending it beyond a few close and intimate friendships. Having an active social life doesn't appear to be important to you. Chances are that when the opportunity arises to socialize among a large group of people, you will most likely turn it down if possible. This doesn't necessarily imply that you dislike socializing or being around people. Rather, you tend to prefer spending time with smaller groups of friends. Individuals who score similarly to you typically aren't conversation-starters, especially with unfamiliar people. In addition, they are not known to be exceptionally outgoing, unless among close friends.
    Cognitive Orientation (score 19)
    The manner in which you process thoughts, emotions, and life experiences in general.
    Your results indicate that when it comes to dealing with life's ups and downs and contemplating life in general, you prefer to process all this information internally. You rarely, if ever, turn to others when dealing with a difficult problem (after all, who knows and understands you better than yourself?). When it comes to making decisions or simply digesting new information, you prefer having time alone to think things over. Unlike individuals who are much more outwardly-oriented, people with an inner orientation prefer to experience the highs and lows of life by themselves. Rather than cling to others in difficult times or celebrate triumphs with everyone around them, they generally prefer to figure life out on their own.
    Self-disclosure (score 34)
    Whether you freely express your thoughts and feelings to others or tend to be much more private.
    Your responses suggest that you are generally a private person, and rarely share your thoughts and feelings with other people. Although you may express the occasional detail about your life, it likely won't be extremely personal in nature. As a result, it likely takes others time to get to know you on a deeper level. While certain individuals enjoy talking about themselves and will openly discuss a variety of topics, there are just some things that you prefer to keep "under your hat". Whether it's a result of trust issues, a discomfort with being open (and perhaps even vulnerable) with others, or you simply enjoy to listen rather than speak, the idea of having your life be an open book usually doesn't appeal to you.
    Need for Space (score 89)
    Whether you're the type of person who prefers and requires time alone.
    According to your score on this scale, being around people is something you may enjoy on occasion, but definitely not on a continuous basis. You're the type of person who not only appreciates time alone, but will also quite often require it. Being in the constant presence of other people is most likely quite stifling to you; spending a great deal of time with others may in fact leave you feeling really drained. Individuals like you who need their space, thrive in relative or complete solitude. Socializing, especially among large groups, can be overwhelming, so time alone is needed to recuperate and recharge. While some people would get bored and maybe even depressed in solitude, you, on the other hand, probably feel stimulated and energized
    Advice

" A healthy social life is found only when in the mirror of each soul, the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living. "
    Rudolf Steiner"

He who knows others is wise; he who knows himself is enlightened. "

Taoist Scripture

To some extroverts, their less outgoing counterparts may seem cold, distant and probably lonely. To some introverts, their more gregarious and outward-oriented opposites can appear loud, a little too talkative and even downright annoying. Although seeing these two types together would appear to be nearly impossible, the truth is that with a little understanding and mutual respect of each other's needs and boundaries, extroverts and introverts can live in relative harmony. The following advice offers helpful tips on how to better appreciate and get along with both orientations. Remember that introversion and extroversion are typically not choices. Trying to force an extrovert to be more introverted and vice versa is unfair and would likely have negative consequences.

Tips on understanding introverts:

• Don't put them on the spot or force them to make snap decisions (especially in front of other people ? in class, meetings at work, etc.). Introverts prefer having time to gather their thoughts and thoroughly think things through. If you want a well-informed response or quality work you'll get it ? just give them some time.
    • Introverts generally don't like last minute changes in plans ? they're very methodical and like to follow a certain schedule. If you're going to cancel an outing with an introvert or need them to get something done before a deadline, give them a sufficient heads-up.
    • Remember that when it comes to face-to-face interaction, not all introverts (or people in general for that matter) are verbal virtuosos or born conversationalists. Don't mistake this for shyness or aloofness, however. In most cases, they are likely much more adept at expressing themselves in writing or other creative forms. In addition, introverts tend to be great listeners ? just don't talk their ear off!
    • Being around people for too long can be exhausting for introverts (especially when it comes to boisterous get-togethers), so many of them will purposely seek out solitude. This doesn't mean they don't enjoy people's company however ? they simply prefer it in moderation. Respect their need for privacy and alone time.
    • Small-talk generally isn't something that introverts enjoy. Most are very introspective and therefore, will often take pleasure in deep, intimate conversations. So, sit back and listen once in a while ? they have some pretty interesting things to say!
    • Like most people, introverts don't really like to be interrupted when speaking. If you really need to say something, at least wait until they finish their thought.
    • Although it may not seem like an introvert is listening to you, chances are that they're simply processing all that you're saying. Be patient if you don't get an immediate response. Introverts may choose not to comment simply because at that moment, they really have nothing to say.
    • Most introverts need their personal space, especially in the physical sense of the word. Invading the area where they spend their solo time or moving their things around can be really frustrating to them. Respect their boundaries.
    • Food for thought! Here are just a few examples of some well-known introverts to consider: Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Charles Darwin, Mother Teresa, Steve Martin, Katherine Hepburn, and Carl Jung.

Tips on understanding extroverts:

• Extroverts are often known to think "out loud". Granted, it may seem as though they're jumping from one random thought to the next (or they may keep repeating themselves), but this is the manner in which they generate ideas, solutions, and better understand the world overall. Despite what some may think, extroverts don't purposely hijack conversations or speak at length on an issue because they enjoy the sound of their own voice. They simply have a great deal they wish to express.
    • "Party" and "fun" are not the only two words in an extrovert's vocabulary. There are many who don't mind spending a quiet night at home as long as they've got some company.
    • Extroverts are not insatiable beasts who want to hog all the attention, nor are they incapable of being independent. Although they won't wilt and die in solitude like a plant without sunlight, too much of it can sap their energy and leave them feeling a little down. Remember - extroverts are most motivated and energetic when they're around people.
    • Extroverts don't purposely invade your space, pop in for a visit or call you up because they want to annoy you ? they simply enjoy your company. Also, when they're feeling down or upset, they are more likely to seek out others.
    • When a problem or task has to be dealt with, a decision needs to be made or a question answered, most extroverts are people of action ? they want to get it done now. If you're the type of person who needs time to think things through, make this clear to them ? just don't take too long!
    • In order to better grasp something, extroverts prefer to experience it. For instance, you can go into as much detail as you want about how amazing a restaurant you visited was ? the atmosphere, d?cor, the type of food ? but in order for an extrovert to truly empathize with you, they just may have to visit the restaurant themselves.
    • Food for thought! Here are a few examples of some well-known extroverts to consider: John F. Kennedy, Bill Clinton, Madonna, and even the loveable Homer Simpson.
    Last edited by Aylen; 06-22-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: formatting

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I did not pay but I got 13 for sociability and 98 for personal space.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Sociability of 35.
    That's all I got for free :/

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    Sociability of 35.
    That's all I got for free :/
    It will also give you "need for space" score somewhere in the results. If you click on the tabs.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Oh, need for space is 52. I just didn't read closely enough. Thanks

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)