Thread: PoLR aka Vulnerable Function: what is it about?

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default PoLR aka Vulnerable Function: what is it about?

Is it about info that you're most "vulnerable" about or info that leaves you totally cold and uninterested, makes you think the carrier is boring or annoying and wish they just kept their mouth shut?
    Last edited by Amber; 01-03-2014 at 11:45 AM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's information you normally ignore because you're focussed on your creative function. A Ni creative may have a nice vision of what they want to accomplish and spend his time developing this vision (Ni cre) rather than honing specific complex skills or completing easy-to-accomplish practical tasks (Si creative). A Se creative may spend his-her time executing specific tasks which are required by his-her environment and thus have no time to spend on expanding the potential number of skills he-she possess or get to know a variety of different people or theories.

If you ignore a certain kind of information for a very long time, you end up being "bad" at it, compared to people who haven't. Thus you may feel stupid / hurt / etc. around people who are good at that, or if you have to complete a given task which requires specific expertise in that realm.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    In addition to what FDG said, you also try to avoid the PoLR by employing your other functions, especially your HA (hidden agenda, activating) function as much as possible, with varying degrees of success, e.g. a Te-PoLR might avoid dealing with complex realistic data or "reading the manual" for something with the rationale that "if I understand the system enough, I can probably work out the rest"; an Fi-PoLR might decide that if they can joke and make people laugh, they'll be there to help them out in times of need, regardless of the actual status of their relationship or if they've offended them in the past. Your actual emotional reaction to your PoLR can vary from feeling vulnerable, to dismissing it as useless crap, to irritation, to boredom... depends on the circumstances and your previous experiences.
    Agree with all of that. I will add that for some reason I really notice my polr, Si, in others. Especially if they value it, in which case I feel annoyed if the Si valuing gets excessive.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normally, a person is indeed focused on the creative function to exclusion of the PoLR function. The "place of least resistance" terminology comes from the phenomenon that it is the function one finds the most difficult to resist the influence of. It can create a "moth to the flame" effect. It's not damaging in the sense of pain -- at least at first. The pain only comes later after one realizes what one lost in the pursuit of it.

Normally, a person is indeed focused on the creative function to exclusion of the PoLR function. The "place of least resistance" terminology comes from the phenomenon that it is the function one finds the most difficult to resist the influence of. It can create a "moth to the flame" effect. It's not damaging in the sense of pain -- at least at first. The pain only comes later after one realizes what one lost in the pursuit of it.
    It’s really interesting to look at it this way. When I thought of the term – point of least resistance – it personally evoked something like ... a certain weakness. Being 'weak' in it. Now bridging this to this viewpoint.

Nobody wants to be weak and therefore they think they should also go for the Polr and I mean I think people are actually capable, but it just doesn’t feel organic, close to you?
    Polr – Super Ego block – do you have the feeling like you have to/should do it?

When it’s difficult to resist the influence, might that explain Supervision + Conflictor relationships? Does the pain that comes later mean, that you start to get back in touch with your ego functions?Is it something like doing sth. all the time, that didn’t felt close to you? Loosing contact with yourself?

It’s just, that I think, that you can see it so often. Like people living and they manage. But it’s like within certain boundaries. Like normal stuff... you know.. managing, getting by.
    But buried underneath, you see something, that makes you think, that gives the person more dimension, that is actually more organic? Not just managing, but being yeah creative?

Example to make more clear what I mean. See I have never watched Breaking Bad (except 1st episode or so), but I read some threads and people went like he is Si, but then it went like nah ... Walter White just turned himself into a Si drone.

Like the most negative, caricature of Si (or what people attribute negatively/falsely to Si, which isn’t the natural, organic Si in Si ego?) and after he got the cancer diagnosis, that was like the turning point, like he woke up and all the shit that went down after that was him, trying to come back to himself?

I mean it was under the theory of Walter being Ni, and Si would not be his Polr, but I was also generally thinking about the Super ego block. It‘s just interesting to think about, how you can live life so far from ‚your ego‘ and like with the first episode, what that can make out of a person.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It's information you normally ignore because you're focussed on your creative function. A Ni creative may have a nice vision of what they want to accomplish and spend his time developing this vision (Ni cre) rather than honing specific complex skills or completing easy-to-accomplish practical tasks (Si creative). A Se creative may spend his-her time executing specific tasks which are required by his-her environment and thus have no time to spend on expanding the potential number of skills he-she possess or get to know a variety of different people or theories.

If you ignore a certain kind of information for a very long time, you end up being "bad" at it, compared to people who haven't. Thus you may feel stupid / hurt / etc. around people who are good at that, or if you have to complete a given task which requires specific expertise in that realm.
    I don't really agree with that, PoLR isn't an ignored function. The Ignoring functions is actually ignored, cause it is opposite to the orientation of the base function.
    PoLR isn't being ignored at all, on the contrary it is a sore spot: you are very aware of it, and isn't necessarily bad at it. It's just the the environement will expect this IE from you, and you will feel criticized/irritated by it, because as you said it is the opposite to the creative function, so that kinda conflicts with the way you usually proceed and value.
    Being criticized on PoLR will more than often irritate the person and make her feel uneasy.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    ILI, SLI - Fe-PoLR - "Your success with me will depend entirely on if you're really all you're cracked up to be. Maybe you'll earn my respect."
    EIE, ESE - This perspective to Fe doms sounds very confused and wacky.
    This is really true in my experience.

I also have seen the Fi polr one to be true. Not sure about the Si polr one. It seems more like they don't understand people who don't fit a certain lifestyle (probably the one they subscribe to) or who don't match the same culture and tastes (food, artistic, or otherwise).