Thread: Ti vs Fi in the workplace

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Ti vs Fi in the workplace

I want to discuss the differences between the management styles of Ti vs Fi ego types. At my job there is manager who seems to be ILE (scatterbrained, unaware of other's personal boundaries) and his methods of pointing things out has really started to piss me off with his focus on following corporate policies that are completely redundant. For example, he started being an ass about my pants being technically being dark blue instead of black even though no one else noticed in my entire time being there. Even though I wasn't punished I couldn't help but get immensely pissed for him putting emphasis on enforcing irrelevant company policies over maintaining a positive atmosphere between himself and other coworkers. My question is, is this sort of rigid adherence to rules and company procedures a feature of Ti management? Is valuing positive atmosphere between coworkers over company goals more Fe or Fi?

maybe he has mother issues

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddytextures View Post
    I want to discuss the differences between the management styles of Ti vs Fi ego types. At my job there is a manager who seems to be ILE (scatterbrained, unaware of other's personal boundaries) and his methods of pointing things out has really started to piss me off with his focus on following corporate policies that are completely redundant.
    Yeah, Ti egos tend to do that. Especially if the reason for the rules are nonsensical; then they enforce the rules extra much. lol

For example, he started being an ass about my pants being technically being dark blue instead of black even though no one else noticed in my entire time being there. Even though I wasn't punished I couldn't help but get immensely pissed for him putting emphasis on enforcing irrelevant company policies over maintaining a positive atmosphere between himself and other coworkers.
    He was trying to exert his authority over you by citing corporate policy then show leniency by not punishing you. He probably feels slightly threatened of you.

My question is, is this sort of rigid adherence to rules and company procedures a feature of Ti management? Is valuing positive atmosphere between coworkers over company goals more Fe or Fi?
    Yes. Both, but Fe is like, "Don't ruin my good mood, I'm feeling nothing but positivity today!" while Fi is more "Stop ignoring my feels, my feelings are valid!". Also, no one likes working in a hostile workplace.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't know if his behavior is socionics driven, but it will destroy any chance he has to get very far in the company. He will have no support from the people for whom he is responsible, and this will eventually undo him.
    I've seen guys (only one of whom was an ILE) running to their bosses to report bad behavior (small rule infractions) by other people, and they seem to have no idea how this comes across. The boss thinks some variation on the following: "This is petty, why is this guy concerned about this stuff?" "Can't this guy handle this himself? Why is he wasting my time with it?" or "This guy is not taking responsibility for his people's actions. He's not getting any more responsibility, and it might be better if he had less."

If you want to read the best book on business that I have ever found, get a copy of "Up the Organization", by Robert Townsend. A lot of what he talks about is out of date, but his approach to business and to human relations is not.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to discuss the differences between the management styles of Ti vs Fi ego types. At my job there is manager who seems to be ILE (scatterbrained, unaware of other's personal boundaries) and his methods of pointing things out has really started to piss me off with his focus on following corporate policies that are completely redundant. For example, he started being an ass about my pants being technically being dark blue instead of black even though no one else noticed in my entire time being there. Even though I wasn't punished I couldn't help but get immensely pissed for him putting emphasis on enforcing irrelevant company policies over maintaining a positive atmosphere between himself and other coworkers. My question is, is this sort of rigid adherence to rules and company procedures a feature of Ti management? Is valuing positive atmosphere between coworkers over company goals more Fe or Fi?
    This sounds like an Alpha (FeSi) vs Beta (TiSe) conflict. Positive atmosphere is Fe yes, but somewhat more likely .

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Um when I was a manager I expected things to be done routinely. The filing in the morning by certain time, ect. I gave a general list of responsibility and left the work to the employee. I provided food for them during lunch and made sure that they could come talk to me about the problems that they had that kept them away from their job. On the same turn I would go into my office and do my job. When the job wasn't done because the employee slacked off I would ask them what kept them away from doing it. If I saw that it was because they had to be on the phone with SO I would go the extra mile to make that available and convenient not judging them for needing that support ect. If things got to be too much I'd remove the phone. It takes a lot before I'd fire anyone.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, and primary types need their dual in an office setting so that they can have someone tell them when they're going too far. It's to keep the "rationals" in check who whine like crybabies when they don't have things their way and aren't impartial in the slightest yet are still considered "rational". The military is starting to look pretty good as a permanent career choice again.

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'll notice people's clothes if they're against dress code, but only with the thought, why can they do that and I can't/haven't been told about it. And then I decide I'm better dressed anyway, so I say fuck it.

If I was in charge of someone, I might point it out in kind of a nit-picky way, but ultimately only to get the tension off. I wouldn't worry about it after then, besides as a joke. Ultimately, who cares what color clothes you wear? It's about your attitude.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never known an ILE to give a shit what a person wore regardless of policy. I'd be surprised if they even noticed.

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    I'll notice people's clothes if they're against dress code, but only with the thought, why can they do that and I can't/haven't been told about it. And then I decide I'm better dressed anyway, so I say fuck it.

If I was in charge of someone, I might point it out in kind of a nit-picky way, but ultimately only to get the tension off. I wouldn't worry about it after then, besides as a joke. Ultimately, who cares what color clothes you wear? It's about your attitude.
    ouronis, you're the type of guy who would attend an executive's meeting with your wife with you dressed in a toga wearing an olive leaf branch atop your head and your wife dressed in Valkyrie's armor then loudly proclaim that you two are the best dressed in the room. lol

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi is like "They really shouldn't be doing that." and then Ti is like "huh? why?" and then I'm like "Because they're Hispanic bro, you cant let Hispanics get away with the same things as white people." And then Ti is like "Oh Ok." and then Fi is like "NO that's not why!" And then I'm like "Yeah its NOT because minorities are ruining 'murica, *wink wink nudge nudge*" And then Ti is like "Well that makes sense" And then Fi is like, "No its unprofessional. Its wrong" and then Ti is like "That makes no sense at all" and then I say "These hoes aint loyal" and I walk away.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone explain to me why Hispanic people including white skinned, blonde haired, blue eyed German immigrants aren't considered white? Oh, right, while the US for the most part peacefully integrated most Native Americans the ancestors of Hispanics were all genocidal maniacs and rapists. Everything has a reason for why things in this country are the way that they are. Which is why young people don't receive any more political benefits than their 1 vote.

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Something that might be (or "T" vs "F" in simplistic terms) might be codes of "ethics" that explicitly state that you should not cover other people's areas of expertise and/or work outside our job remit.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of unintelligible nonsense has been brought forwarded in this thread, but I'll leave it at that.

Example of Ti vs Fi in the workplace:

someone accidentally pours some coffee over the keyboard of their laptop, and calls the local IT support person, who, for the purpose of this discussion, can be an Fi or Ti person:

Ti support person: "Please call the help desk in India for further assistance. They'll need to log a support ticket for that."

Fi support person: "DON'T MOVE, don't do anything, I'll be over there in a minute!"

Another example:

yours truly once was in charge of a project that required a web server, which he ordered at the corporate IT dept. After 8 weeks the server still wasn't there, in fact yours truly was notified that it would take at least another 8 weeks. So my dept decided to buy a $1500 server and connected it to the corporate network despite the fact that this was not allowed.

After three weeks someone from corporate IT dropped by for another issue, and saw the server, which was from a non-standard brand. He wanted to know what it was, so I explained it to him. He: "BUT THIS IS NOT ALLOWED, you can get into serious trouble for doing that!" Me: "Okay, lets go to the board of directors, where you will explain that I have violated corporate IT rules, and I will explain that I made a revenue of $150,000 by doing that." Judging by the expression on his face, my argument somehow made PERFECTLY LOGICAL sense to him...
    Last edited by consentingadult; 06-04-2016 at 10:40 AM.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The manager could have been more productive with other work in the time it took for him to nag you about your pants. :[

- SUBOPTIMAL MANAGEMENT ACTIVITY DETECTED -
    - UNIT SCHEDULED FOR IMMEDIATE DISASSEMBLY AND RECYCLING -

Beep boop.

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
    The manager could have been more productive with other work in the time it took for him to nag you about your pants. :[

- SUBOPTIMAL MANAGEMENT ACTIVITY DETECTED -
    - UNIT SCHEDULED FOR IMMEDIATE DISASSEMBLY AND RECYCLING -

Beep boop.
    He probably had nothing better to do as work.

Also, stop being so destructive. lol

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!