Thread: Colors and enneagram types

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Colors and enneagram types

I'm thinking of what colors might correspond w what enneagram types. For example, my mom is E9 sp/so (EII), and her favorite color is light blue...which seems like a great match for her type.

Here're my thoughts:

E1 -- white; light gray

E2 -- coral; hot pink

E3 -- bright, deep green; reddish orange

E4 -- purple; silver

E5 -- dark blue

E6 -- orange; yellow

E7 -- yellow

E8 -- black; deep red

E9 -- blue (various shades, depending on subtype, stack, etc.)

I have synesthesia, but I tried not to let the colors the numbers as numerals are influence this too much.
    Last edited by SongOfSapphire; 05-31-2016 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typooooooo
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Very interesting, I am E8, and when I was in first grade, I decided my favorite colors were black and deep red.

I've since switched to "any color is nice in the right context".

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This may not be relevant to you if you have synesthesia and associate certain colors with certain numbers (are you aware that there is a resistor color code, where a color band corresponds to a certain number? http://www.allspectrum.com/store/res...lectronics.php), but I was once interested in what it meant when people wore certain colors. I did some research, and came to believe that the following colors evoke the following responses in most people.

Black = cold and mysterious
    Brown = strength
    Red = strong feeling
    Orange = fast and aggressive
    Yellow = Trust me
    Green = "I know who I am", or "I'm in a safe place"
    Blue = cool and intellectual
    Violet = sex
    Gray = "Goes anywhere"
    White = Purity
    Gold = (see Yellow)
    Silver = (see Gray)
    To which I will add that
    Purple = Deep Thought.

Just my 2 cents worth.

How these correspond to Enneagram types depends on the associations you make with each type.

P.S. The color Pink makes men lose strength when they see it, for about 45 minutes. After that, they get more aggressive. Perfect for Prom dresses.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Grey
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    This may not be relevant to you if you have synesthesia and associate certain colors with certain numbers (are you aware that there is a resistor color code, where a color band corresponds to a certain number? http://www.allspectrum.com/store/res...lectronics.php), but I was once interested in what it meant when people wore certain colors. I did some research, and came to believe that the following colors evoke the following responses in most people.

Brown = strength
    Red = strong feeling
    Yellow = Trust me
    Violet = sex
    Gray = "Goes anywhere"
    White = Purity
    Gold = (see Yellow)
    Silver = (see Gray)
    To which I will add that
    Purple = Deep Thought.

Just my 2 cents worth.

How these correspond to Enneagram types depends on the associations you make with each type.

P.S. The color Pink makes men lose strength when they see it, for about 45 minutes. After that, they get more aggressive. Perfect for Prom dresses.
    Aren't violet and purple the same color?
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm an E8 and my favorite colors in no particular order are: Royal Blue; Electric Blue; Race Circuit Blue; Ruby Red; Emerald Green; Jade; Burnt Sienna; Burnt Clay; Pink (Salmon); Baby Blue; Sky Blue; Bright Gold; Blood Orange; Peach; White; Black; Bronze, Silver, Cream, Light Grey and probably many more but I feel like stopping there.

Brown = strength
    Red = strong feeling
    Yellow = Trust me
    Violet = sex
    Gray = "Goes anywhere"
    White = Purity
    Gold = (see Yellow)
    Silver = (see Gray)
    To which I will add that
    Purple = Deep Thought.

Just my 2 cents worth.

LOL! That sounds like evolution through natural selection. Definitely the qualities of an male mating with a sweet SEE who looks pretty in pink.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brown = strength
    Red = strong feeling
    Yellow = Trust me
    Violet = sex
    Gray = "Goes anywhere"
    White = Purity
    Gold = (see Yellow)
    Silver = (see Gray)
    To which I will add that
    Purple = Deep Thought.

Just my 2 cents worth.

First, I did know about the info you linked, but only bc my dad is an electrical engineer w a love of explaining things like that...but I hadn't thought about it in years, so it's interesting to look at it and learn more

I like your list. Several of those color correlations ring true for me, too...I looked into the psychology of color a long time ago and found it interesting, and some of the colors and correlations you list -- almost all of them, actually -- match w what I remember from that. I also recall that men tend to find women most attractive in red, and people generally find most trustworthy people wearing blue (dark blue especially). I always thought that was interesting.

What colors do you think correlate w what enneagram types, if you think they do? I could guess based on the adjectives you listed, and I agree about how they match depending on individual associations, but that's why I made this thread -- I'm curious about what you and others would say (assuming you don't find it nuts, which I guess you, at least, @Adam Strange, do not ).
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

My favorites are violet, blue ...black and gold. In case anyone's interested.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

black, red, silver, blue, purple, crimson, white.

i hate green, pink, cyan, fluroscent colours, yellow, amber, amber, turquoise, beige, grey etc

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

i think people associate black, red and blue with me. although, some people only seem to see black and seem to think that i may be really negative, when in fact it's them that is.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I have grown to associate black with type 4s only because I went through a stage where I wanted everything black. Then as I got older I felt like others were copying my style so I started wearing red because I didn't want to look like everyone else around me. I would go to a goth club, years ago, where everyone was wearing black and I would wear all white or pale pink so I would be the only one really glowing under the lights. I don't know if it was for the attention or for the rebellious aspect of not conforming, even to my prefered group or I would wear all red. I like different shades of red (some are awful), some shades of orange, electric blue, black, silver, certain shades of purple but I hate other shades of purple. Deep jewel tones are the best, like ruby and emerald green. Gold is nice sometimes. I don't really care for bright yellow. Shades of tan are ok and I like some wood shades like cherry. I think of a box of crayons when I try to associate my favorites.

I like this chart and can see these colors around certain people. The stronger the energy field the stronger I perceive a color. Some people look like they have a gray haze around them. I have not tried to group them by enneagram, yet.

Aura Color Meanings

RED AURA COLOR MEANING: Relates to the physical body, hart or circulation.The densest color, it creates the most friction. Friction attracts or repels; money worries or obsessions; anger or unforgiveness; anxiety or nervousness

Deep Red: Grounded, realistic, active, strong will-power, survival-oriented.
    Muddied red: Anger (repelling)
    Clear red: Powerful, energetic, competitive, sexual, passionate
    Pink-bright and light: Loving, tender, sensitive, sensual, artistic, affection, purity, compassion;new or revived romantic relationship. Can indicate clairaudience.
    Dark and murky pink: Immature and/or dishonest nature
    Orange Red: Confidence, creative power

In a good, bright and pure state, red energy can serve as a healthy ego.

ORANGE AURA COLOR: Relates to reproductive organs and emotions.The color of vitality, vigor, good health and excitement. Lots of energy and stamina, creative, productive, adventurous, courageous, outgoing social nature; currently experiencing stress related to appetites and addictions;

Orange-Yellow: Creative, intelligent, detail oriented, perfectionist, scientific.

YELLOW AURA COLOR MEANING: Relates to the spleen and life energy. It is the color of awakening, inspiration, intelligence and action shared, creative, playful, optimistic, easygoing.
    Light or pale yellow: Emerging psychic and spiritual awareness; optimism and hopefulness; positive excitement about new ideas.
    Bright lemon-yellow: Struggling to maintain power and control in a personal or business relationship; fear of losing control, prestige, respect, and/or power.
    Clear gold metallic, shiny and bright: Spiritual energy and power activated and awakened; an inspired person.
    Dark brownish yellow or gold: A student, or one who is straining at studying; overly analytical to the point of feeling fatigued or stressed; trying to make up for "lost time" by learning everything all at once.

GREEN AURA COLOR MEANING: Relates to heart and lungs.It is a very comfortable, healthy color of nature. When seen in the aura this usually represents growth and balance, and most of all, something that leads to change.Love of people, animals, nature; teacher; social
    Bright emerald green: A healer, also a love-centered person
    Yellow-Green: Creative with heart, communicative
    Dark or muddy forest green: Jealousy, resentment, feeling like a victim of the world; blaming self or others; insecurity and low self-esteem; lack of understanding personal responsibility; sensitive to perceived criticism
    Turquoise: Relates to the immune system.Sensitive, compassionate, healer, therapist.

BLUE AURA COLOR MEANING: Relates to the throat, thyroid. Cool, calm, and collected. Caring, loving, love to help others, sensitive, intuitive.
    Soft blue: Peacefulness, clarity and communication;truthful; intuitive
    Bright royal blue: Clairvoyant; highly spiritual nature; generous; on the right path; new opportunities are coming
    Dark or muddy blue: Fear of the future; fear of self-expression; fear of facing or speaking the truth
    INDIGO AURA COLOR MEANING: Relates to the third eye, visual and pituitary gland.Intuitive, sensitive, deep feeling.

VIOLET AURA COLOR MEANING: Relates to crown, pineal gland and nervous system.The most sensitive and wisest of colors. This is the intuitive color in the aura, and reveals psychic power of attunement with self.Intuitive, visionary, futuristic, idealistic, artistic, magical.

LAVENDER AURA COLOR MEANING: Imagination, visionary, daydreamer, etheric.
    SILVER AURA COLOR MEANING: This is the color of abundance, both spiritual and physical. Lots of bright silver can reflect to plenty of money, and/or awakening of the cosmic mind.
    Bright metallic silver: Receptive to new ideas; intuitive; nurturing
    Dark and muddy gray: Residue of fear is accumulating in the body, with a potential for health problems, especially if gray clusters seen in specific areas of the body

GOLD AURA COLOR MEANING: The color of enlightenment and divine protection. When seen within the aura, it says that the person is being guided by their highest good. It is divine guidance. Protection, wisdom, inner knowledge, spiritual mind, intuitive thinker.

BLACK AURA COLOR MEANING: Draws or pulls energy to it and in so doing, transforms it. It captures light and consumes it.Usually indicates long-term unforgiveness (toward others or another) collected in a specific area of the body, which can lead to health problems; also, entities within a person's aura, chakras, or body; past life hurts; unreleased grief from abortions if it appears in the ovaries

WHITE AURA COLOR MEANING: Reflects other energy. A pure state of light. Often represents a new, not yet designated energy in the aura.Spiritual, etheric and non-physical qualities, transcendent, higher dimensions. Purity and truth; angelic qualities.
    White sparkles or flashes of white light: angels are nearby;can indicate that the person is pregnant or will be soon

EARTH AURA COLORS: Soil, wood, mineral, plant. These colors display a love of the Earth, of being grounded and is seen in those who live and work on the outdoors....construction, farming, etc. These colors are important and are a good sign.

RAINBOWS: Rainbow-colored stripes, sticking out like sunbeams from the hand, head or body: A Reiki healer, or a star person (someone who is in the first incarnation on Earth)

PASTELS: A sensitive blend of light and color, more so than basic colors. Shows sensitivity and a need for serenity.

DIRTY BROWN OVERLAY: Holding on to energies. Insecurity.

DIRTY GRAY OVERLY: Blocking energies. Guardedness.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    IEI-Ni, 4-9-5, sx/sp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite color is green.
    IEI-Ni, DCNH-H, 4w5-9w1-5w4, sx/sp, Aquarius sun, Leo rising
    "From their lives, and not least from their greatest fault--their inability to communicate--we may understand one of the greatest errors of our civilization, that is, the superstitious belief in verbal statements, the boundless overestimation of instruction by means of words and methods."--C.G. Jung on the introverted irrational types

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black has always been my favorite color, but I like dark colors in general.

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I like this chart and can see these colors around certain people. The stronger the energy field the stronger I perceive a color. Some people look like they have a gray haze around them. I have not tried to group them by enneagram, yet.

Aura Color Meanings
    I got a picture of my aura taken once and it was ultra violet, pink, lavender and white around the edges. I had it on my fridge for the longest time but I don't know where it is now. The woman who took the photo said my aura showed that I was very loving.

Also, this is a cool color thread by @Olga. The color part starts at post #11.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I like alot of colors in different occassions/things like I like orange in my hair but NOT in my clothes, haha. The color i feel the least drawn to is a warm dark fuschia. Although it would look cool on walls... See what I mean?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Orange and yellow are this 6s least favorite colors \o/

TIM
    ILE-Ti 6w7 683 so/sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My ideas for colors per type (used in sig)

My ideas for all types (including wings and countertypes). This is the colour scheme used in my signature.

2w1
    2ws3 2wcs3
    s3w2 cs3w2
    s3w4 cs3w4
    4ws3 4wcs3
    4w5
    5w4
    5wp6 5wcp6
    p6w5 cp6w5
    p6w7 cp6w7
    7wp6 7wcp6
    7w8
    8w7
    8wa9 8wca9
    a9w8 ca9w8
    a9w1 ca9w1
    1wa9 1wca9
    1w2

Instincts are:

First Second Last
    sp
    sp
    sp
    sx
    sx
    sx
    so
    so
    so
    Last edited by Jerdle; 07-19-2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: To allow use in signatures
    cp6w7-3w2-8w7 sx/so ILE--D

TIM
    EII 4w3 Sx/sp
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BLACK = Type 4!
    No debate there, really.

C-EII-INFj 4w3 Sx/sp 479

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaebette View Post
    BLACK = Type 4!
    No debate there, really.
    Black is all colors absorbed. 9 absorbs. Debated lol.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

1 - White
    2 - Yellow
    3 - Green
    4 - Black
    5 - Grey
    6 - Brown
    7 - Orange
    8 - Red
    9 - Pastel

Blue can fit several types based on how light, dark it is, etc.
    For example, Navy Blue could fit 5w4.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

6=Grey, because doubt.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    6=Grey, because doubt.
    Not a bad idea.

I could go on board with that.

I'd just give 5 Navy Blue instead, then.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The party is over.

Here comes the real deal.

Inspired by... Silly Color Names!!

1w2 - "neon carrot"
    1w9 - "virgin snow"
    2w1 - "warm muffin"
    2w3 - "pink flamingo"
    3w2 - "center stage"
    3w4 - "rich cream"
    4w3 - "green envy"
    4w5 - "laser lemon"
    5w4 - "desert moss"
    5w6 - "eggnog"
    cp6w7 - "bad boy blue"
    p6w7 - "Texas Alamo a la Mode"
    cp6w5 - "expedition khaki"
    p6w5 - "fuchsia shock"
    7w6 - "vivid tangerine"
    7w8 - "pimpin' purple"
    8w7 - "fervent brass"
    8w9 - "timber wolf"
    9w1 - "melted butter"
    9w8 - "electric lizard"
    Last edited by Chae; 07-19-2017 at 09:33 AM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I percieve:

1 - Light Grey
    2 - Light Blue
    3 - Deep Red
    4 - Dark Yellow
    5 - Deep Blue
    6 - Pink
    7 - Brown
    8 - Dark Blue
    9 - Violet

It's not based on anything as it's just what I perceive when I think about that certain type. It's strange, because I associate type 7 with a dark color, even though it has to do with , that it's all but dark.
    KEEP IT LIGHT AND KEEP IT MOVING

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 - White
    2 - Pink
    3 - Yellow
    4 - Purple
    5 - Blue
    6 - Brown
    7 - Orange
    8 - Black
    9 - Gray

1 = white and 3 = yellow are the most naturalistic associations to me, mostly because of symbolism. 1 of course is focused on purity and perfection, and along with the association of yellow = money = materialism = stereotypical 3, there's also the association of yellow with deceit.

Interestingly both 6 and 9 are a mixture of the other colors from their triad. 3's the odd one out here, but there's a vague neon-y techno theme with 2-3-4's color scheme.
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    1 - White
    2 - Yellow
    3 - Green
    4 - Black
    5 - Grey
    6 - Brown
    7 - Orange
    8 - Red
    9 - Pastel

Blue can fit several types based on how light, dark it is, etc.
    For example, Navy Blue could fit 5w4.
    I actually see this the same way.

I was browsing this thread and thinking about colors and enneagram types, when I saw this post and said Hey, there it is!

I would only add that e6 might be brown or green, and e6cp is gold.
    And e4 could be dark blue, verging on purple. With stars.

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to ruin Chae's post with Serious Color Names (not the same colors):

1w9 - ultramarine
    1w2 - French ultramarine
    2w1 - raw umber
    2w3 - burnt umber
    3w2 - quinacridone red
    3w4 - vermillion
    4w3 - Indian black
    4w5 - ivory black
    5w4 - lamp black
    5w6 - Payne's grey
    6w5 - zinc white
    6w7 - titanium white
    7w6 - yellow ochre
    7w8 - Hansa yellow
    8w7 - Venetian red
    8w9 - Prussian blue
    9w8 - cobalt blue
    9w1 - viridian

Whoever makes the Silly Color Names should be fired for ruining serious names like these.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to do a Silly Color Names one now. Hopefully, this will be even more profound and esoteric than the Serious Color Names one:

1w9 - golden chalice
    1w2 - virgin rose
    2w1 - wildflower
    2w3 - social butterfly
    3w2 - center stage
    3w4 - star dust
    4w3 - divine wine
    4w5 - blue haired freak
    5w4 - fossil butte
    5w6 - warm cocoon
    p6w5 - quiet veranda
    cp6w5 - cherry bomb
    p6w7 - straw hat
    cp6w7 - flesh
    7w6 - instant delight
    7w8 - joyride
    8w7 - timber wolf
    8w9 - BurlyWood
    9w8 - calm air
    9w1 - claire de lune

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Lessons View Post
    Aren't violet and purple the same color?
    People with more deep thoughts have a higher sex drive, so of course: http://iheartintelligence.com/2016/0...nce-sex-drive/

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I decided to go ahead and post this now, even if no one really cares:

I don't think people really have "favorite colors". I think most objects are just made with a standard set of colors that are assigned connotations and people pick one out of those to like. When I was a kid (whcih is what enneagram seems to be about), I pretty much just hated blue and green, and had a rather entertaining shifting list of favorite colors, including trying to wear all black in primary school, and making everything golden-yellow (like the color on flags or Egyptian pyramids) with every color in the rainbow as a secondary. A long while back, I felt like I didn't have a favorite color, and, determined to be super unique in that regard and beyond childish games of having a favorite everything, googled "not having a favorite color" (I found out I wasn't so unique there, and a pretty neat article, although most of the pages when you google that phrase are still "What Your Favorite Color Says About You"). Shortly after that I decided just to say black since it goes with all the colors and is the best color to wear and have random objects in, which is really what people mean anyways.

If you want to have your conception of your "favorite color" challenged, go look at a good art gallery or museum in real life. I used to hate blue for being "so boring", which it is in the Modern Standard Color Scheme, but look at a nice ultramarine or Prussian or cobalt blue (all of which literally can't be close to accurately displayed on any computer monitor due to how the pigments reflect light) and you'll see that blue can be beautiful and deep and not boring. Standard green dyes and paints are ugly (which is probably why they're always used for slime and monsters), but go hike on a green trail or look at an emerald and you'll see they're beautiful. Looking at paintings and sculptures is an easy way to see all of the hues within a short span of time pretty easily though, compared to having to hike in the forest, then go to the lake, then go to a volcano at sunset...

I think a lot of the issue with colors just being designated as rather shallow symbols instead of enjoyed for what they are has to do with the fact that 75% of Americans need corrective lenses and corrective lenses really diminish your vision in every way ("chromatic abberation" = changing colors, "distortion" = changing shapes... this happens to some degree with all lenses, so don't get one carved into your retina. If you're one of the 75% of people with glasses, take them off now, look closely at everything around you and you'll see what I mean), so instead of actually understanding colors and what they mean from experience, people have to be told. Which is always dumb crap like "green is money and envy!" or "red is anger!" Yeah, they can be those things, but even when they are, that's shallow because they're always more.

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
    I decided to go ahead and post this now, even if no one really cares:

I don't think people really have "favorite colors". I think most objects are just made with a standard set of colors that are assigned connotations and people pick one out of those to like. When I was a kid (whcih is what enneagram seems to be about), I pretty much just hated blue and green, and had a rather entertaining shifting list of favorite colors, including trying to wear all black in primary school, and making everything golden-yellow (like the color on flags or Egyptian pyramids) with every color in the rainbow as a secondary. A long while back, I felt like I didn't have a favorite color, and, determined to be super unique in that regard and beyond childish games of having a favorite everything, googled "not having a favorite color" (I found out I wasn't so unique there, and a pretty neat article, although most of the pages when you google that phrase are still "What Your Favorite Color Says About You"). Shortly after that I decided just to say black since it goes with all the colors and is the best color to wear and have random objects in, which is really what people mean anyways.

If you want to have your conception of your "favorite color" challenged, go look at a good art gallery or museum in real life. I used to hate blue for being "so boring", which it is in the Modern Standard Color Scheme, but look at a nice ultramarine or Prussian or cobalt blue (all of which literally can't be close to accurately displayed on any computer monitor due to how the pigments reflect light) and you'll see that blue can be beautiful and deep and not boring. Standard green dyes and paints are ugly (which is probably why they're always used for slime and monsters), but go hike on a green trail or look at an emerald and you'll see they're beautiful. Looking at paintings and sculptures is an easy way to see all of the hues within a short span of time pretty easily though, compared to having to hike in the forest, then go to the lake, then go to a volcano at sunset...

I think a lot of the issue with colors just being designated as rather shallow symbols instead of enjoyed for what they are has to do with the fact that 75% of Americans need corrective lenses and corrective lenses really diminish your vision in every way ("chromatic abberation" = changing colors, "distortion" = changing shapes... this happens to some degree with all lenses, so don't get one carved into your retina. If you're one of the 75% of people with glasses, take them off now, look closely at everything around you and you'll see what I mean), so instead of actually understanding colors and what they mean from experience, people have to be told. Which is always dumb crap like "green is money and envy!" or "red is anger!" Yeah, they can be those things, but even when they are, that's shallow because they're always more.
    Personally, I feel like the wealth of cultural influence on what colors "mean" makes them more interesting. Otherwise it's all just light, IMO. With connotations like "blue for truth and rationality, red for passion", you can use colors to create a variety of symbolic meanings. For instance, there's a few shades of blue that I mentally refer to as "corporate blue" because they show up prominently in many large businesses' color schemes (Wal-Mart and Facebook are good examples). If I came into a paused movie and that color prominently figured in the scene, especially if combined with white, I would assume a corporate or retail setting. Color can function as a non-verbal shorthand.
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stellafera View Post
    Personally, I feel like the wealth of cultural influence on what colors "mean" makes them more interesting. Otherwise it's all just light, IMO. With connotations like "blue for truth and rationality, red for passion", you can use colors to create a variety of symbolic meanings. For instance, there's a few shades of blue that I mentally refer to as "corporate blue" because they show up prominently in many large businesses' color schemes (Wal-Mart and Facebook are good examples). If I came into a paused movie and that color prominently figured in the scene, especially if combined with white, I would assume a corporate or retail setting. Color can function as a non-verbal shorthand.
    I just said that the standard color scheme narrows down colors too much by removing them from experience. You responded like I said the opposite of that. The cultural meanings relate to the perceptual ones. When I made the Serious Color List, that's exactly what I was going for. Ultramarine is the color on the Virgin Mary's robes in Renaissance pictures, lamp black is the color of printed words in books, Venetian red is on old military uniforms, etc. If you just used generic color meanings you miss that (same as your corporate blue idea. If you use "blue = calm" you miss that). The point is that colors mean basically infinite things, but it's not all things.

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's do underwear styles and enneagram next.
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
    I just said that the standard color scheme narrows down colors too much by removing them from experience. You responded like I said the opposite of that. The cultural meanings relate to the perceptual ones. When I made the Serious Color List, that's exactly what I was going for. Ultramarine is the color on the Virgin Mary's robes in Renaissance pictures, lamp black is the color of printed words in books, Venetian red is on old military uniforms, etc. If you just used generic color meanings you miss that (same as your corporate blue idea. If you use "blue = calm" you miss that). The point is that colors mean basically infinite things, but it's not all things.
    So, in other words, color meanings are only meaningful when tied in with context? Blue doesn't mean sadness/calm/cold/truthful/responsible/thoughtful/water/sky all at once, it takes on different meanings depending on how its being used? In that case I definitely agree with you.

This thread seems like an interesting exercise in what themes leap out at people with colors. I feel like "green = 3" from earlier on in this thread has some merit in terms of a "growth" metaphor (and if we're being stereotypical, dolla dolla bills) but I never would've made that association first. For me, the "green" connects too much with nature and health to slot into into enneagram's focus on behavioral constructs and dysfunction.
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1: White (Purity)
    2: Red (Passion, romance)
    3: Gold (The sun in the sky, first place medals, coin, your urine in the morning (gotta hydrate!), blingbling, the color of "Hey look at me, I'm important and rich!") -- personal fave
    4: Purple (Royalty as purple dye used to be rare (thus costly))
    5: Blue (Depths of the ocean, heights of the sky, and other painful twists to make this one work)
    6: Yellow (Intellect, sharp, literally bright, fucking crazy (I mean look at that font!! It hurts!!!!))
    7: Orange (Festive and stuff)
    8: Black (The man in black, need I say more?) -- "But black isn't a color!" Shut up nobody likes you.
    9: Green (Nature, duh)

Though.. I like symmetry, and that list above shows anything but.

So, let's go for the holy threesome (winkwink) of the Enneagram; 369, and let's couple it with the holy trinity of colors; red, yellow, blue.

Yellow is commonly associated with intellect, red with action, and blue with my feelz.
    Even though 9's stereotypically suck at action, and 3's at feelz. Let's conveniently ignore that.

The rest is whatever's in-between.

Colors Enneagram.jpg

Paint FTW.

Aaaaand I don't like it. I'm going with my first list. I succumb to chaos.

Colors Enneagram chaos.jpg

The ugliness of it is killing me.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stellafera View Post
    So, in other words, color meanings are only meaningful when tied in with context? Blue doesn't mean sadness/calm/cold/truthful/responsible/thoughtful/water/sky all at once, it takes on different meanings depending on how its being used? In that case I definitely agree with you.

This thread seems like an interesting exercise in what themes leap out at people with colors. I feel like "green = 3" from earlier on in this thread has some merit in terms of a "growth" metaphor (and if we're being stereotypical, dolla dolla bills) but I never would've made that association first. For me, the "green" connects too much with nature and health to slot into into enneagram's focus on behavioral constructs and dysfunction.
    Yes. Sometimes blue means none of those things too:

All those pictures would mean something completely different if you changed the color, but there isn't anything that blue can be defined as meaning. It's like something I saw someone write elsewhere: "real things have a certain ineffable quality to them". Blue clearly means something, but you can't definitively say all the things it means. And if you could, what would be the point of using it instead of just saying the thing itself?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Blue is ethereal to me. The meaning or impression you get from color also depends on what colors it's mixed with

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    6: Yellow (Intellect, sharp, literally bright, fucking crazy (I mean look at that font!! It hurts!!!!))
    Mm, I could get used to this stereotype...
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This type of yellow is essentially 7w6, sunny happy day, no worries. 6 needs a more anxious color.

TIM
    RLOEI 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Several years ago I asked people who knew me to tell me what color comes to mind when they think of me, and the majority said white. So I'm fine with white for 6w5. My favorite color is grey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast