Thread: 40 Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 40 Questions

Block I - Te

1. What is work in your opinion? Why do people go to work? Are there any parameters where you can distinguish whether you can do this work or not?

Work is to do something with an intent and focus. Because of terms like 'hard work' and 'working towards something' I couldn't say it's something you exert yourself over or is working towards something.
    People work for their own reasons. They tend to do work for money because they need or want it, but other work might be due to any inclination. Although, if you're saying 'go to work' I'm guessing that means going out to work and not working from home, so maybe because they don't want to or can't work from home for whatever reason, and/or because they prefer either being the boss of others or having a boss and/or they like being around people. Lots of things to keep in mind.
    'This work' is very vague. I think with the right adjustments most people could do any job. I mean, I don't think I could currently be an astronaut but with the right training, I probably could. It might just be harder for some people.

2. How do people determine the quality of work? How do you determine such quality? How well you can determine the quality of any purchase, do you pay any attention to it?

Depends which people you're talking about. People tend to focus on one kind of quality (aesthetics, practicality, durablility etc.), although some do focus on more. That quality is subjective to the person viewing it as each person may want different things from that object – they may require it to work in different ways.
    Personally, I determine quality based on a variety of factors including durability and comfort/aesthetics – the quality of the object is how well it suits my needs. I pay attention to quality to an extent, but often price has to come first due to a limited income.

3. There is a professional right next to you. You always see that you can't perform the way they do. Your feelings, thoughts and actions?

If they're a professional in an area I'm not particularly interested in, I wouldn't really notice them, although I might respect the fact they're good at what they do (that's what I take 'professional' to mean).
    If they're a professional in something I'm interested in, but not pursuing myself, I'd want to ask them questions, but probably wouldn't (social anxiety; discomfort with starting conversations because I might not be able to properly continue them). I'd be impressed at the expertise they demonstrated.
    If they were a professional in something I was interested in and wanted to pursue (like writing), I'd be very interested in talking to them about it to get their take on it, but again I probably wouldn't, even though I might really want to.

4. If you struggle to do something, what can you say about such a task? Tell us your next steps and give examples. Compare with actions of others in a similar situation.

If I struggle with something and it's something people are relying on me for (like in work), I get very internally flustered and embarrassed and try to do the task without letting on that I'm struggling. I'd either somehow figure out how to do it by just breaking it down into smaller chunks and putting it together, or I'd have to give up and ask for help (probably after just standing/sitting there for a while working up to it, because I feel so bad having to ask).
    Most other people don't seem to have an issue with asking; they just do it and it's completely fine. They seem a lot calmer about struggling, like they don't really care much.

5. You need to build a pyramid exactly like in Egypt. Your thoughts, feelings and actions?

I've watched a lot of documentaries on Ancient Egypt since a very young age (I was very taken with it) so I actually know the method they used. I'd draw up a rough plan, work out materials needed and how I could go about doing it. I'd be a bit worried about undertaking a project which was so very much 'there' and I couldn't make changes to easily – on my projects I tend to make a lot of changes later on.

Block II - Ti

1. General to specific, specific to general – what does it mean? Give examples.

General is an overview, while specific is focus on a couple of (usually) important or significant details. So general to specific would be at first taking in the whole picture, then shifting your focus to one particular item. Specific to general would be the reverse, of course.
    For example, you might have a painting of a seaside with people all long the shore at sunset (general), then you notice one lady's white hat and focus on that in detail.

2. What does "logical" mean? What is your understanding? Do you think that it correlates with the common view? Is it is easy for you to be logical?

Logical means something that makes sense – it works in the way you expect it to, or in a way that otherwise links into that. Like with logical progression: you expect certain events to lead into one another. I use that as a basis for story writing generally. I don't like to plan (it feels like I've then written the story without actually writing it and I lose motivation) so I tend to work through how one action would link into the next in the context of that world.
    Depends what you mean by the 'common view'. It seems like getting a general consensus on logic is pretty difficult, at least in my experience.
    I think so. I hope my writing is logical and my writing is a big part of me.

3. What is hierarchy? Give examples of hierarchies. Do you need to follow it? Why or why not? Give example of hierarchy of systems, what is it?

Hierarchy is a ranking system based on perceived value. It tends to be pyramid-shaped in that you have many of lower value, then only a few of higher value.
    I suppose I have my own hierarchy for things, in a sense, because I often feel like I'm running out of time so I prioritise in what I think could be considered to be a hierarchical system of importance. If you mean in terms of things like social hierarchy, I don't personally agree with it – like the Prime Minister of the UK isn't fit for his position, in my opinion, so I would never respect him as a professional – but as I'm generally polite to people, I don't struggle with it too much. I don't make a big deal out of opposing it.
    Hierarchy of systems would probably be the one I described before about prioritising.

4. Choose one of the following tasks and give a detailed answer. Explain your choice.
    If A is not B, and B is not C, therefore A is C. Is it correct? Why?

Not necessarily. What if none of them are each other? Why should A be C? That doesn't make sense. I guess it's trying to work off a process of elimination, but that only works if you're sure the answer is there. As it is, there isn't enough information or context to solve this problem (if it even needs to be solved – A, B and C all being individual objects seems fine to me).

5. Do you frequently feel the need to structure information? For what purpose? How do people usually do it? How do you do it?

I'm not really sure what is meant by 'structure'. If it means 'breaking it down to 'see' it better' then I do that. If information is like a jigsaw puzzle, I structure it in as much as picking out the corner and edge pieces first and building up understanding that way. Build up from what you have and develop and grow your understanding to try and reach the complete picture.

Block III - Se

1. Can you press people? What methods do you use? If so, how does it happen?

Pressure them? I can, I guess, but I really don't like to. I think I try to explain why I'm keen on something happening to get them to see where I'm coming from. If so... what? I don't understand what that last part is referring to.

2. Are there strategies of attack? Can you use them? When is it justified? Do you think it's ok to occupy someone else's territory? In what situations?

Yes, there are a variety of them. I personally have used some strategies in things like paintball, where I've used cover to keep myself hidden and sniped people who haven't seen me, although at times I've reached the objective through sheer chance (in one game I was covering a team mate who was supposed to go up and retrieve the flag, but then he went out and got shot, so I had to take over which involved a lot of not-very-strategic behaviour of running really fast and lying down out of sight until the other team lowered their guard).
    Verbal plans of attack are also a thing. I can use them by discussing something with someone until they eventually trip themselves up or I notice they've contradicted themselves/said something that doesn't make sense and questioned them on it. I did find asking a troublesome housemate if she really thought her behaviour was okay was effective too.
    But generally, I think these should either be done only if you have no other choice. I can't stand the thought of attacking someone verbally or physically. Especially not occupying someone else's territory. I don't like people getting into my space and acting aggressively towards me, and I wouldn't want to do that myself. It's somehow very repulsive.

3. How do you protect yourself and your interests?

I don't tend to have to defend myself or my interests. Although I've had negative things said about my character a couple of times, to which I didn't respond well and got quite angry and frustrated, then removed myself from it for a while. So I guess withdrawing would be the answer.

4. Describe your behavior in the situations of opposition and if you have to use some force?

Hm. One example I can think of was when a guy I knew was being bullied in school and the bullies were laughing and jumping at him, so I made myself a human barrier between them – but couldn't really do much else. My anger paralysed me. When they were trying to hit him with a door, I did dig my nails into one guy's hand though, as hard as I could to make him stop laughing about it.

5. Do others think of you as a strong person? Do you think you are a strong person?

I think they see me as not 'strong' but 'stable'. I've been called a 'waif' by my friend in the past because of 'an air I give off'. I think my close friends and family are aware of my strong views on certain things and they tend to try and avoid my instinctual reaction of explaining exactly why I disagree with something for about half an hour at a time (I don't realise I'm doing that 'lecturing' thing until later... It's a bad habit).

Block IV - Si

1. What is beauty? Do you change your opinion about beauty? Does your understanding correlate with the generally accepted notion? What goes beyond the generally accepted notion?

Something that makes my eyes/ears relax (something that hits a strong note with me may or may not be 'beautiful' – beauty is more 'soothing'). I think my opinion of what it beautiful has changed from what it used to be, very gradually so I would only really notice when looking back and actively comparing. I don't think my understanding does – but it's hard to say as I'm not 100% sure on what the generally accepted notion is. It always seems to be fluctuating and jumping from one thing to the next in no particular order, just on a sort of whim (which makes sense seeing as it's developed by the elite minority and they change with the times). I think anything not considered to be 'in fashion' in terms of art, appearance, music etc. is going beyond that notion. Not that I could get a proper fix on what that is either.

2. Is there a template of understanding what beautiful means for everyone to use? Is there such a term as "classic beauty"? If so, what is it?

There's no great single definition out there, if that's what this is getting at. I think there is a term 'classic beauty' but it's used in so many different ways, it doesn't really have meaning.

3. How do you create your comfort and coziness? How do others evaluate your skill in doing so? Do you agree with them?

I wear comfortable clothes, keep myself warm/cool enough, make a sort of 'nest' where I usually sit so all my often-used items are around me and I feel relaxed. I tend to have softer lighting and not too much noise (I do listen to music a lot though, just not really loudly). I don't know what others think about it. I never thought to ask.

4. How do you pick your own clothes? Do you follow fashion? Why? Do you know how to select clothes for different types of figures?

Comfort and colour. I need to not be too aware of the clothes, otherwise they become distracting – like material that rubs against your skin too much and feels rough – and I like the look of certain colours (they make my eyes relax). I don't follow fashion. I don't understand it and it's very time-consuming and expensive. I don't really know how to select them, but I could probably make a decent guess if I had to.

5. Tell us how you'd design any room, house or an office. Do you do it yourself or trust someone else to do it? Why?

Plenty of easy-access storage for books, DVDs and games. Enough room to be able to fit all that stuff in one place – maybe a library/game room/cinema? Comfortable chairs and sofas, blankets, carpet, soft light (mostly lamps with those multicoloured glass lampshades). I also like small ornaments, so I'd probably have some of those lurking around. Two or three big windows with a great view – on a higher floor so no one could look in easily. I'd want to do it if I had to live there because I know my tastes.

Block V - Fe

1. Is it acceptable to express emotions in public? Give examples of inappropriate expression of emotions.

For me, it's a matter of feeling very awkward with expressing strong emotions in public. It might be part of social anxiety, but I struggle to even show much enthusiasm when I'm not in a private area with people I'm comfortable with. I also get very awkward with people displaying very strong emotions at me in public, although I also appreciate their ability to do that without thinking about it (my friend does that a lot – she once suddenly screamed at me because she was so happy I was up to date on a webcomic she was reading).
    I don't think there's really an 'inappropriate' expression of emotion. 'Appropriate' emotion just seems like non-emotion, in that emotions can't really be regulated – they can be controlled, of course, but not regulated.

2. Think of such negative emotional states as sadness, gloom, and despondence. Can you, at your own will, enter these states? If not, then when do you feel them? How long can you stay in such states? How can you withdraw from them? Can they be pleasant, soothing? How do you feel after you have experienced them?

Yes, by thinking of situations which would make me very sad – although that's generally an accident and then I struggle to get back out of those moods (I have depressive periods anyway). I don't find negative emotions to be soothing. Intense emotions can be, like when you read a book/watch a film/hear a song that really hits you, but not purely negative ones.
    I usually feel tired, like I need to go to sleep for a couple of days to get over them.

3. How quickly can you change emotional state? To what side – positive or negative?

Depends. Sometimes I can have sudden changes in emotion without even realising until it's happened (it can be a shock), but other times I can have very low-key emotions, kind of apathy. Usually more sudden switches into emotions like irritation or sadness, but sometimes I've very suddenly switched into feeling extremely happy.

4. What emotional state is usual for you? Does your internal emotional state correlate with what you show externally?

Calm, generally a bit tired, but relaxed mostly. Neither very positive or negative. I apparently show my emotions on my face (without realising it – once I was asked to watch a series by my friends and they were watching for my reaction and I couldn't hide that I wasn't enjoying it, even though I tried).

5. Tell us about your moods over the last day.

I got woken up by a text, which I found kind of exasperatingly funny because I had to go to work. Then I was quite neutral, but felt bad for my cat because he was getting anxious as my mum has gone away for a couple of days and he doesn't like change. Then I went to work feeling a little anxious as I'd put in an application for leave and didn't know if I could get it (it's for when my friend's coming to stay). I had a vaguely amusing conversation with my colleagues because I tried to explain a game I'd been playing and they really didn't understand it (my explanation was awful, to be fair) so it sounded like a different kind of thing. Then I had some low-level frustration because of thinking about the story I've been wanting to write, but am struggling to get started. Got the leave accepted, which was a relief.
    After work, I listened to music that made me feel quite positive, but by the time I got through the front door I was just tired (because of being woken up). Then I've just felt fairly neutral most of the evening.

Block VI - Fi

1. Tell us, how did you build relationships with others over the last day?

Ack... I tried to ask questions in return for being asked about things (I was told off in a previous job for 'not bonding with my colleagues', so I'm a bit worried/conscious about it). I mentioned I had a twin sister, which my colleague didn't know and found strangely funny. Huh... I don't know, really. I don't build relationships easily.

2. What is sympathy? When do you need to express it? When is it advised not to? How do you express it?

When someone expresses regret for someone else's situation without necessarily feeling the emotion themselves (difference between sympathy and empathy). You don't need to express it ever – it's not a completely necessary thing – but if someone you like is feeling down about something, it can sometimes help (my initial reaction is to give advice and try to solve the problem, which one friend told me he didn't want – he wanted sympathy – which I didn't understand, but tried to do because I care about him).
    I don't know if it's advisable not to.

3. Are there any standards of behaviour or interpersonal relationships in the society? If so, do you adhere to them? Do people always have to maintain them? Why?

I think there are expectations of standards, but the standards themselves are conceptual and tend to (even if only very slightly) differ depending on the individual due to nurturing environments (usually). I try not to do something like cause a scene, mostly because it makes me feel very uncomfortable and awkward (I once cried in school after falling over on a football and winding myself, and then wanted to sink into the ground). I don't think people have to maintain them, although if people are doing things like shouting at each other in the street, it's very unpleasant and makes me anxious.

4. What does moral mean? What is immoral? How do you understand these terms and does your understanding correlate with the others? How can you evaluate the correctness of your own understanding?

Morality is holding yourself to certain personal standards, while immoral is the opposite (why does this questionnaire keep asking things like that?). That previous sentence is my understanding. I can only evaluate it as far as it makes sense to me, that morality is generally a personal thing developed over the course of your life.

5. Somebody is giving you a negative attitude – what is your reaction? Could you show your own negative attitude toward someone else? If so, how? Could you feel ill-disposed towards somebody for a long time? How easily do you forgive people?

Depends on the reason. I'd probably try to give them advice to solve their situation, but if they didn't take it or show any inclination of trying to change their situation (and weren't suffering from a mental illness that was stopping them) I'd remove myself from their situation. I express negativity around people I'm close to, but struggle to with people like colleagues or strangers because it's personal. I tend to just say what the negative thing is.
    I tend not to hold grudges, mostly because they tire me out. I can have a slightly negative feeling towards someone if they've done something very bad, but generally after something very awful, I'd just get away from them. I do tend to give people at least a couple of second chances.

Block VII - Ne

1. Is there a meaning of life? In what? Is it the same for everybody?

I think meaning in life is entirely personal – life is what you make of it and how you perceive it. What has meaning for me may mean nothing to someone else.

2. When you meet a stranger, what can you say about them right away? How do you know what this person is all about? Does it take long to understand someone's traits?

Not much. I struggle to make first impressions. I generally feel wary, because I don't know anything about them and have to start learning about them from scratch. It can take quite a while before I feel like I have a decent understanding of someone on a surface level.

3. 'Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.' (Albert Einstein). What is the core of stupidity? Explain the reason for its infinity. How does thinking of a fool differ?

Ignorance isn't the same thing as stupidity. Stupidity is thinking or doing something wrong despite knowing that it's wrong – through something like pride. Ignoring the truth because it doesn't suit you – something like that.

4. Truth, half-truth and lie: where is the borderline between these concepts? Are "pure" states possible, and how can collection of true facts turn into lies?

If you bend the truth, it's no longer what it once was and therefore it's not the 'truth'. It may not be a direct lie, but it's not true. True facts can turn into lies in the wrong context.

5. Ideas do not have to be correct in order to be good. What's your attitude towards this statement?

I'm unsure. For example, ideas don't have to be realisitic to be good – that's why surreal stories are good fiction – but they do need to be 'correct' in some ways to hold true in the mind. There needs to be something to hold onto.

Block VIII - Ni

1. How do people change? How do you feel about those changes? Can others see the changes?

People are always changing in a variety of ways. I don't personally feel strongly about those changes unless they're in someone I'm close to and they begin to look completely unlike the person I liked. I lose the feeling for them and they lose their colour, then they fade away.
    I think others can see changes, although maybe not the same ones.

2. What is time? How do you feel time? Can you waste time?

Time in human society is something constructed to regulate, while in nature it's something that changes you slowly – your mind tends to improve while your body begins to rot, then eventually it also declines (usually). Time is something people struggle to fill, to keep themselves busy.
    You can waste it if you aren't developing or doing something recreational for yourself. It would depend on the person though.

3. Do you need help creating forecasts and determining how something will end? Do you trust those forecasts?

I tend to be okay to working out where things are leading, but I generally try not to predict things (especially the endings of books or films, because that ruins it). I trust them to an extent, but it's not a major concern for me.

4. Are you normally late? How do you react if someone is late?

Not unless I really can't help it (like if the bus is late). I don't like keeping people waiting and get concerned if people don't turn up after 15-20 minutes in case something's happened to them or they're just not going to come. It's rude not to tell people you're going to be late, in my opinion.

5. Tell us your thoughts on the topic of "Influence of fortune on my life.”

Things like luck? I don't really believe in it and don't really want to. I don't want to think there's a force like that favouring some people over others and giving them an easier ride (of course some people do have a more secure life, although their emotional life may be no easier). I'd prefer everyone to be on a level playing field.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I dislike these questionnaires immensely (I do not consider them of optimal utility).
    I get the general impression that you are introverted, perhaps of the IJ temperament.

I suggest you look at doing various Socionics tests: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ocionics-Tests

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I dislike these questionnaires immensely (I do not consider them of optimal utility).
    I get the general impression that you are introverted, perhaps of the IJ temperament.

I suggest you look at doing various Socionics tests: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ocionics-Tests
    Thanks! Which would you recommend to start with?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Snail View Post
    Thanks! Which would you recommend to start with?
    I'm arguably biased because I put the Inconsiderably Finite Indefinite Socionics Test together, but I otherwise rate the The Original Socionics Test by Sociotype.com (I estimate it will take you about 10 minutes for you to complete) highly, as well as the Shortened Online Form of Talanov's Inventory (which took me about 35 minutes to complete).

The Extended Socionics Test by Sociotype.com may be as good as the Original version, although my subjective impression was that it wasn't...and that it of course takes longer to complete. (There are some reviews of the various tests here, if you are interested - mostly by me): http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...Rating-Project)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I'm arguably biased because I put the Inconsiderably Finite Indefinite Socionics Test together, but I otherwise rate the The Original Socionics Test by Sociotype.com (I estimate it will take you about 10 minutes for you to complete) highly, as well as the Shortened Online Form of Talanov's Inventory (which took me about 35 minutes to complete).

The Extended Socionics Test by Sociotype.com may be as good as the Original version, although my subjective impression was that it wasn't...and that it of course takes longer to complete. (There are some reviews of the various tests here, if you are interested - mostly by me): http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...Rating-Project)
    Thank you! I tried taking the Inconsiderably Finite Indefinite Socionics Test and got these results:

83% LII
    81% SLI
    74% ILI
    69% EII
    61% LSI
    58% ILE
    58% LSE
    53% SEI
    47% IEI
    47% ESI
    40% LIE
    38% SLE
    35% IEE
    31% ESE
    15% SEE
    13% EIE

So it's pretty close between LII and SLI, which seems a bit odd. What do you make of it?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Snail View Post
    Thank you! I tried taking the Inconsiderably Finite Indefinite Socionics Test and got these results:

83% LII
    81% SLI
    74% ILI
    69% EII
    61% LSI
    58% ILE
    58% LSE
    53% SEI
    47% IEI
    47% ESI
    40% LIE
    38% SLE
    35% IEE
    31% ESE
    15% SEE
    13% EIE

So it's pretty close between LII and SLI, which seems a bit odd. What do you make of it?
    well, you should explore the top few possibilities, and look at other tests. I of course can only say it represents what you put into the test...although the results are in line with my first speculative impressions in my first post in this thread.