Thread: Some thoughts regarding Se

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Some thoughts regarding Se

I have an interpretation of Se I thought I might like to share.

Commonly Se is described as being about "imposing oneself over others" and "pushing people around to achieve one's goals". After some thought I now think that these descriptions are actually the anti-thesis to Se. Rather, I think Se is more about the level of awareness of the territory of oneself and others, with Se valuing/devaluing determining whether holds value to the territory of oneself and others.

The reason I think Se ego types always have a "confrontational" look to them is too deter others from transgressing their space. To be able to protect one's space/territory you need to be, or at least look, strong, hence the connection between Se and strength. When an Se base types acts out, it is usually because someone has violated their space and thus prompted the Se base to display their ability to protect their own interest. When Ne base types act out the motivation is quite different, with their intention being to "shock" others they believe to be acting too complacent and to stir chaos.

The conflict between Si/Ne and Se/Ni occurs because of the difference in recognizing space. Se/Ni perceives Ne/Si as being nosy, always butting in with inconvenient demands or rude comments, while Si/Ne perceives Se/Ni as being too "stuck up" and hostile to their initiatives.

What do you all think about this interpretation of Se?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Se/Ni perceives Ne/Si as being nosy, always butting in with inconvenient demands or rude comments, while Si/Ne perceives Se/Ni as being too "stuck up" and hostile to their initiatives.
    It is closer to the exact opposite of this.

The goal of is not only to protect space (which is really just a manifestation of what you have influence over - you cannot physically influence something outside of your control) but to expand it.

The reason I think Se ego types always have a "confrontational" look to them is too deter others from transgressing their space. To be able to protect one's space/territory you need to be, or at least look, strong, hence the connection between Se and strength. When an Se base types acts out, it is usually because someone has violated their space and thus prompted the Se base to display their ability to protect their own interest.
    Yes, this is true. Confrontation is a side effect of trying to maintain and increase one's influence.

When Ne base types act out the motivation is quite different, with their intention being to "shock" others they believe to be acting too complacent and to stir chaos.
    ok, you are completely reinterpreting the motives of types in terms of . You must value lol. types do not try to "shock" others out of being complacent, or try to stir chaos -- this is an motivation with some mixed in. If they do try to influence others, they try to get them to see a bigger picture or different viewpoints. That may cause some level of stirring things up, but they generally try to present their views in an amiable manner and do not try to force others to their viewpoint. Valuing means valuing peaceful coexistence and non-interference, even in cases when some level of stirring things up may be desirable. valuers often view this as a kind of weakness that is vulnerable to being preyed on.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddytextures View Post

The conflict between Si/Ne and Se/Ni occurs because of the difference in recognizing space. Se/Ni perceives Ne/Si as being nosy, always butting in with inconvenient demands or rude comments, while Si/Ne perceives Se/Ni as being too "stuck up" and hostile to their initiatives.

Other way around maybe?

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    It is closer to the exact opposite of this.

The goal of is not only to protect space (which is really just a manifestation of what you have influence over - you cannot physically influence something outside of your control) but to expand it.
    By expanding your presence in the world what you are really doing is increasing the potentials made available to you. Drive for success and expanding ones presence in the world is . rather focuses on the protection of one's existing space, to guard against intrusions. They both exert energy in but opposite directions. The difference can easily be seen between Se and Ne polrs. Ne polrs are able to guard themselves against loss but are unable to break themselves free from "living in a box", while Se polrs are able to maintain presence in the world but are unable to stand up and protect themselves against loss.

Ne stirs, shakes thing up to open up new possibilities while Si mends the things Ne fucks up in doing so. This is how they complement each other.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By expanding your presence in the world what you are really doing is increasing the potentials made available to you. Drive for success and expanding ones presence in the world is .
    It's not clear what you mean by "presence in the world." Yes, being involved in many different activities or areas is more like than . But again, the motivation is not to gain influence, you have to completely remove that from your mind. It's simply to expand the sphere of what one is involved in (this involves an element of too actually.)

Ne polrs are able to guard themselves against loss but are unable to break themselves free from "living in a box", while Se polrs are able to maintain presence in the world but are unable to stand up and protect themselves against loss.

Ne stirs, shakes thing up to open up new possibilities while Si mends the things Ne fucks up in doing so. This is how they complement each other.
    What you say about PoLRs is true, and again the part about maintaining presence is unclear. But is very clearly about expanding space in leading types, it is not opposed to but a very natural part of it.

It's most fruitful to think of as being about exploring new territory rather than expanding it. Exploring does not tie you down or increase your material assets. The way complements this exploring or venturing into new territory is by managing how one adapts to it, fulfilling needs etc. (This is + and - in particular, I might add.)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Well temperament has to do a lot with it. Ij and Se valuing equals way pushy as a behavior. But Se as a function perceives static qualities of objects (texture, color). An istj is pushy but an estp is happy go luck mild mannered guy.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an interpretation of Se I thought I might like to share.

Commonly Se is described as being about "imposing oneself over others" and "pushing people around to achieve one's goals". After some thought I now think that these descriptions are actually the anti-thesis to Se. Rather, I think Se is more about the level of awareness of the territory of oneself and others, with Se valuing/devaluing determining whether holds value to the territory of oneself and others.

The reason I think Se ego types always have a "confrontational" look to them is too deter others from transgressing their space. To be able to protect one's space/territory you need to be, or at least look, strong, hence the connection between Se and strength. When an Se base types acts out, it is usually because someone has violated their space and thus prompted the Se base to display their ability to protect their own interest. When Ne base types act out the motivation is quite different, with their intention being to "shock" others they believe to be acting too complacent and to stir chaos.

On point.
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx