Thread: Delta's, are you attracted to people who show impressive mechanical aptitude?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Delta's, are you attracted to people who show impressive mechanical aptitude?

I was reading about Mikhail Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47, who didn't have much formal education, but a lot of mechanical talent which basically catapulted him to high positions designing equipment and weapons. I think he was a Delta, maybe SLI. He also liked poetry, which possibly points to Fi being valued. His hobbies and interests, activities like hunting or designing agricultural equipment, also seem Delta-ish. So Delta's, is a person talented in these ways likely to catch your interest?

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I find that I doubt very much my ability to be "useful" to another person in a relationship, and that I idolise those of Action and Skill in practical matters and living well. I probably would not admire the inventor of a gun, but even doing comparatively simple things like being able to drive a car or having energetic interests such as hiking I seem to have great awe for.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate people w mechanical aptitude, and sometimes wonder at it because I myself do not (or possibly just never sought to develop any bc I find it tedious...probably a combination of both). I wouldn't necessarily say I'm attracted to it, but I do notice it and appreciate it, and I will be grateful for a long time when someone does something like, e.g., last weekend my husband and his dad built a gazebo on our back deck -- now every time I sit out there I do and will always continue to think of them w gratitude while marveling at all the hard work they put in and the high quality of their work.

Actually, you know what? I guess I am attracted to it. I remember my husband had a flat tire while we were dating and I went to meet him in the parking lot where he stopped bc I had AAA and was going to call them for him, and by the time I got there (it only took me ten mins or so) he had the car on a jack and was almost done putting on the spare. I remember being impressed by his ability to do that so easily and also by how nonchalant he was about it...I found him very attractive right at that moment, all calm and focused and capable in a situation I myself would have had to call for help to deal with.

tl;dr: Yes.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

yes

I like it when people can fix things
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very much attracted to people with mechanical skills, the ability to put physical things together to make a quality product, and/or who're demonstrating fine motor skills. It's a total turn on.

For example, my boyfriend has built a shelf along the deck for me so i can expand my deck garden. He's building a chicken coop for me, incorporating my list of wants, and it's coming out better than I could have hoped for. He's also helping me build a run for the chickens that I can easily break down and move, expand on, or rearrange as needed/desired, even with my limited physical capabilities. I just have to tell him my general idea/wish, and he figures out how to get the pieces to fit together. Like on the coop, he's gotten compliments from others about it, which he shrugs off and says that it pretty much built itself. One of his hobbies includes painting miniature war game pieces with very fine detail. I love to watch him work. I'm so amazed at his capabilities in these areas.

I'd have some moral difficulties with the idea of someone using his skills to make weapons to more easily kill people. But i suppose if I was into weaponry, I'd be appreciative.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes, I admire the patience and attention to detail that goes into these skills. I always enjoyed watching and helping my SLI ex fix our car or build things. My current SLI bf is a chef and grows food and I am really fascinated by the passion he has for these things. Making music might not fall under this category, but I could endlessly watch him make music.

I think for me it's a combination of being fascinated with the skill and admiring the passion. They can zone out so completely in a way that I can't, and it's mesmerizing to watch them create things. I don't get nearly as much satisfaction out of "intellectual talks" or people sharing knowledge (but that might be because of my job). I think I really enjoy all the "doing" over the talking (because the talking I can very well do myself lol).

I agree with @anndelise in that if these skills were used for a purpose I deem unethical or harmful, I would have a problem.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Like on the coop, he's gotten compliments from others about it, which he shrugs off and says that it pretty much built itself. One of his hobbies includes painting miniature war game pieces with very fine detail. I love to watch him work. I'm so amazed at his capabilities in these areas.
    PS: The humility makes it even more attractive.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    No.

Also, incorrect apostrophe.
    No,, shit. It didn't let me edit the title, and I wasn't going to waste time finding out why.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

for Kalashnikov beta T is more possible