TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Home made anything

popcorn

the secret to popping great popcorn is heating the oil and dropping three popcorns and waiting one to pop before you put the rest in and keep shaking the pot. This works best in a glass covered dutch oven like a 5qt Calphalon Kitchen pot from Target and I use olive oil but you can use any that you like best. Salt and add other flavors once the popcorn has popped

TIM
    9w1
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unholy water sanguine addiction

Seriously Judicious Emotivist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    popcorn

the secret to popping great popcorn is heating the oil and dropping three popcorns and waiting one to pop before you put the rest in and keep shaking the pot. This works best in a glass covered dutch oven like a 5qt Calphalon Kitchen pot from Target and I use olive oil but you can use any that you like best. Salt and add other flavors once the popcorn has popped
    Here is more than you need to know about popcorn.

I agree with waiting for the three kernels to pop. That's how my Dad always did it for us. And he was very particular about making popcorn (one of the few things he made in the kitchen! A very short list including Sunday night popcorn, and Saturday morning waffles...). Also, cold popcorn seems to pop bigger/better. This year I bought a newly popular variety of popcorn with "very little hull" and I prefer it. The one I bought comes in a jar so I put it in the fridge after adding about a tsp. of water.

For an occasional treat that is decadent and healthy, pop it in ghee. That's where the flavor is, and its a healthy fat. Sprinkle it with a prepared very fine salt through a fine screen (A good sea salt ground to a powder with a mortar&pestle.) Finally, a stovetop popper with a whirley thing (picture link below) that keeps the popcorn on the move is great as it prevents burning. It pops faster than a microwave (which I don't own and won't own). I had an aluminum stovetop popper for a long time; I forgot what happened to it. I replaced it with a sturdy stainless one. However, I prefer the old aluminum one; it was lighter. When popping, I keep lifting one lid to let out steam and when its half full (and not in danger of popping out all over the stove) I pull both lids up. Keeps it crisp.

http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/popeilfami.../wpOnStove.jpg

So, what would Alton Brown do? I just looked it up, and his recipe follows. Ah! He uses peanut oil. I haven't tried that. And wow, he has the same idea about salt for popcorn as me - grind your own! It really is perfect for a noticably better popcorn. I have not tried Furikake, but I get some when I am next at an Asian market. Brown does not use a special popper, just a metal bowl that you keep shaking. I can see how this woudl work. My Dad did the same with his ancient electric popper. He would stir it and pick it up of the heat to shake it repeatedly. With that Alton's bowl method I would use a pair of silicone mitts.
    http://altonbrown.com/perfect-popcorn-recipe-2/

Looking that up I see there is an awful lot to be said about popcorn on the net. And I discovered this: Alton's Triple-Cheese Popcorn. You have to shop for the unusual ingredients... but I think I will try this in the wintertime. Alton has his with wine: http://altonbrown.com/triple-cheese-popcorn-recipe/
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Here is more than you need to know about popcorn.

I agree with waiting for the three kernels to pop. That's how my Dad always did it for us. And he was very particular about making popcorn (one of the few things he made in the kitchen! A very short list including Sunday night popcorn, and Saturday morning waffles...). Also, cold popcorn seems to pop bigger/better. This year I bought a newly popular variety of popcorn with "very little hull" and I prefer it. The one I bought comes in a jar so I put it in the fridge after adding about a tsp. of water.

For an occasional treat that is decadent and healthy, pop it in ghee. That's where the flavor is, and its a healthy fat. Sprinkle it with a prepared very fine salt through a fine screen (A good sea salt ground to a powder with a mortar&pestle.) Finally, a stovetop popper with a whirley thing (picture link below) that keeps the popcorn on the move is great as it prevents burning. It pops faster than a microwave (which I don't own and won't own). I had an aluminum stovetop popper for a long time; I forgot what happened to it. I replaced it with a sturdy stainless one. However, I prefer the old aluminum one; it was lighter. When popping, I keep lifting one lid to let out steam and when its half full (and not in danger of popping out all over the stove) I pull both lids up. Keeps it crisp.

http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/popeilfami.../wpOnStove.jpg

So, what would Alton Brown do? I just looked it up, and his recipe follows. Ah! He uses peanut oil. I haven't tried that. And wow, he has the same idea about salt for popcorn as me - grind your own! It really is perfect for a noticably better popcorn. I have not tried Furikake, but I get some when I am next at an Asian market. Brown does not use a special popper, just a metal bowl that you keep shaking. I can see how this woudl work. My Dad did the same with his ancient electric popper. He would stir it and pick it up of the heat to shake it repeatedly. With that Alton's bowl method I would use a pair of silicone mitts.
    http://altonbrown.com/perfect-popcorn-recipe-2/

Looking that up I see there is an awful lot to be said about popcorn on the net. And I discovered this: Alton's Triple-Cheese Popcorn. You have to shop for the unusual ingredients... but I think I will try this in the wintertime. Alton has his with wine: http://altonbrown.com/triple-cheese-popcorn-recipe/
    You just put me in heaven

what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moisturizing conditioner:

4 parts store-bought conditioner of your choice (preferably moisturizing and non-protein)
    1 part honey
    1 part 100% aloe vera gel (note: needs refrigeration after being opened)

Mix and heat in microwave until warm, then apply to wet, shampooed hair, concentrating on ends. Cover w shower cap and towel, let sit for 10+ minutes (or as long as you can stand it, even overnight), and rinse
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bath salts:

1 bag epsom salt
    +/- 2 teaspoons essential oil of choice (amount is up to you; I've never actually measured)
    (lavendar to relax, peppermint or citrus to energize, etc.)

Mix in big bowl, then store in glass jar and use at bathtime as desired.

I used to give these as gifts, and they were always well-received...I'll have to do that again, as it's been a while. You can find cool jars for them at craft stores or even thrift stores, and put pretty homemade labels w descriptions and/or directions for use, personal messages, etc.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra